Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

mints posted:

Release day in the States is tomorrow. They've gotten better at figuring out when things will actually get there, for me at least. I got shipping notice on Saturday, but it didn't actually get picked up from KY until today and it's expected to be delivered tomorrow.

I got my shipping notice and it's scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Would have been nice to get it a day early, but I'll live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Cynic Jester posted:

I wonder how many more people would like Touch if it started at 1:50.

I think Touch is probably the second best song on the album, and the intro really makes it. It's really creepy and gives the song a vibe that there is something more going on with it than it seems. The song is really incongruent with itself, which I what I like and I guess others would hate.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Got mine today, no insert for the origami helmet thing though.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
iTunes has the album for purchase, but my preorder hasn't activated yet :confused:

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
In my opinion, a pretty spot-loving-on review from The Needle Drop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTUBoFVi-HY

Hels
May 26, 2003
Remix of "Get Lucky" by glitch-hop dude an-ten-nae feat. Daughter: https://soundcloud.com/an-ten-nae/daughter-x-antennae-get-lucky#play

Interesting take.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
By the way guys, it's been confirmed the first remix out will be Get Lucky at the end of June.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Solaris Knight posted:

iTunes has the album for purchase, but my preorder hasn't activated yet :confused:

My pre-order worked just fine on my phone but is only letting me download Beyond and Contact on my computer. The hell?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I seem to be in the minority in liking Touch, although I admit I don't like it in the same way as most Daft Punk songs and most of this album. It feels more like a rock opera, and it wouldn't sound out of place with Queen, or maybe similar-era David Bowie.

The weak track to me is probably Giorgio by Moroder, but even I'll admit that's good. It's just a very disconnected song that feels out of place no matter what context you put it in.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

an skeleton posted:

In my opinion, a pretty spot-loving-on review from The Needle Drop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTUBoFVi-HY

Yeah, this is real accurate. Hopefully this will turn more people on to it. Maybe not, but it's a solid review.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003
What equalizer in iTunes / iPhone would you guys set for this album for headphones listening?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/daft-punk-all-hail-our-robot-overlords-20130521

quote:

On a sun-baked Friday in the Mojave Desert a month later, de Homem-Christo is sipping yerba mate tea poolside at a gorgeous old Palm Springs mansion, his rear end crack sailing out of black Dior Homme swim shorts. Bangalter is a few feet away, wearing tiny blue Lacoste trunks and a fraying Borsalino straw hat, telling Pharrell he's totally got to see Oz the Great and Powerful. "Really, man?" Pharrell says. "All right, I gotta check that out." Disco blasts from wall-mounted speakers; hired chefs work a barbecue grill; empty bottles of Veuve Clicquot litter tables. Two dudes sit in the kitchen with a large baggie of weed, rolling joints.

:siren: ROBO rear end CRACK SPOTTED :siren:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Finally got to listen to this on the sound system in my car, and on my good cans at work. The louder I play it, the better it sounds.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Onion AV gave it a B+ and panned Touch and Giorgio

http://www.avclub.com/articles/daft-punk-random-access-memories,97969/

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Pitchfork reviewer called out probably my favorite song so far - lose yourself to dance - as "plodding" I can see that but honestly most of the songs on the album could be described that way.

Listening to the 320kbps spotify stream in my car and w my headphones is making me like the album more and more though - i really wasnt feelin it at first based on the itunes stream but now i am considering a vinyl purchase... I am a little underwhelmed with my Discovery LP though. Can someone who has both compare the masterings?

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

thathonkey posted:

Listening to the 320kbps spotify stream in my car and w my headphones is making me like the album more and more though - i really wasnt feelin it at first based on the itunes stream but now i am considering a vinyl purchase... I am a little underwhelmed with my Discovery LP though. Can someone who has both compare the masterings?

The vinyl master of RAM is way better than the one they used for the CDs and everything else. Much better dynamic range.

I'm not a vinyl fetishist, but the vinyl is objectively better in this case.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

quadratic posted:

The vinyl master of RAM is way better than the one they used for the CDs and everything else. Much better dynamic range.

I'm not a vinyl fetishist, but the vinyl is objectively better in this case.

Agreed, I bought both and ended up doing a vinyl rip for my phone because it's just better in every way.

garney
Jul 21, 2007
http://www.dancingastronaut.com/2013/05/daft-punks-horizon-exclusive-japanese-random-access-memories-bonus-track/

Japan got a bonus track apparently :drat:

garney fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 21, 2013

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

I love this. It should have been on the album proper... Hell if most of the album were like this...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Is it available anywhere else? My phone won't play that links stream.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

So is it just me that thinks these are the two best songs on the album, then?

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Rocco posted:

I love Giorgio, it's right there with Contact as the best song on the album for me (Touch, not so much). I know a lot of people don't seem to like Giorgio talking on the track, but it's not even two full minutes and the rest of the song is just music except for one sentence, so it doesn't really bother me at all.

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.

nasboat posted:

I love Giorgio, it's right there with Contact as the best song on the album for me (Touch, not so much). I know a lot of people don't seem to like Giorgio talking on the track, but it's not even two full minutes and the rest of the song is just music except for one sentence, so it doesn't really bother me at all.

Giorgio's talking was unsettling at first, yeah, but it all played into this wonderful 10 minute short MOVIE of a song. If that makes... any sense. In any case, later listens made that my favorite track. And Touch speaks to the inner musical nerd in me, I guess. I really love this album for this reason though- every track hits some other weird thing I look for in music in general.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Rocco posted:

I'm a fan of both of them. For me Giorgio is one of the best on the album, Touch is somewhere near the middle but I really really like the Hold On breakdown.

The only song I still don't like at all is Within and I can still find stuff to enjoy in it, I just can't get behind a DP song that is THAT sad.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Giorgio is probably the track that's grown on me the most; the first time through the album I felt sort of cheated that it didn't signal a general upswing in tempo but yeah, if you can get past the 90 seconds of the guy talking, it's a pretty cool song, it's almost got the roots and history of EDM all contained right there in one package. The album as a whole really does seem like an attempt to cover everything from the beginning at once, the more I listen to it.

I just wish that somehow grimy, galloping beat on Lose Yourself to Dance wasn't wrecked with that cheesy lyric but if you picture it as a Prince homage it stings less.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF_QVNfyRY8 in all of youtube's glorious low quality

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
As someone who takes 2-3 showers a day in the summer, doesn't get to take a break that often and who's life is speedin without any signs of stoppin I identify with LYTD's lyrics quite a bit. Thank you SexRex!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Touch is my favorite song on the album. I love it, and I think Paul Williams did a fantastic job singing on it. I'm surprised so many people think it's the low point of the album.

I listened to "Contact" on full blast driving to work today though and loved it. The range of it is really impressive to me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well this is...slow. And almost ambient. :confused:

And I don't think it would have fit the flow of the album at all, so I can see why it's a bonus track.

I like it, don't get me wrong, but if people thought Random Access Memories didn't sound like normal Daft Punk material, this sounds even less like them.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I dunno, the album has no flow to interrupt imho that bonus track wouldnt have displaced the mood at all if you stuck it practically anywhere in the tracklist...

As i start to appreciate more songs, the pacing and lack of flow still really bothers me. Im gonna stick to my own playlist i think.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Rocco posted:

I totally think this, dude.

The vocals on Touch were weird to me the first time I heard it but it clicked the second time. That build up is just so good.

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 22, 2013

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Intel&Sebastian posted:

http://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_mn5krdNAHo1qhfdb1o1.mp3

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Hasters posted:

Agreed, I bought both and ended up doing a vinyl rip for my phone because it's just better in every way.

If anyone wants to go a step further, HDTracks has a 24/88 version up for sale.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I bought the vinyl after forgetting I had preordered on iTunes, so now I have two versions. Is it worth hunting down a way to rip the vinyl or is the iTunes version good enough for computer/ phone listening?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

thathonkey posted:

I dunno, the album has no flow to interrupt imho that bonus track wouldnt have displaced the mood at all if you stuck it practically anywhere in the tracklist...

As i start to appreciate more songs, the pacing and lack of flow still really bothers me. Im gonna stick to my own playlist i think.

I think it has some sense of flow, albeit a weird one. But even if you don't, don't you think sticking that bonus track anywhere in the album would have bored you and turned you off, at least for a little bit? It'd feel out of place, even in album like this. I still think it's an alright song, but it doesn't belong on the album. It belongs where it is: a bonus track.

Lechtansi posted:

I bought the vinyl after forgetting I had preordered on iTunes, so now I have two versions. Is it worth hunting down a way to rip the vinyl or is the iTunes version good enough for computer/ phone listening?

iTunes version is good enough, but if you really dig the album, hunt down a way to rip the vinyl. You'll thank yourself.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

Rocco posted:

Like any good prog album: Giorgio, Touch and Contact are the epic "tent pole" songs that not only hold up the whole album but make the other songs even better when you listen to it as a whole.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Touch is my favorite song on the album.

It's really really good. This whole album is a trip and I can dig the not so hidden message to the industry. Up to Motherboard and I haven't heard a song yet that I don't like.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I think it has some sense of flow, albeit a weird one. But even if you don't, don't you think sticking that bonus track anywhere in the album would have bored you and turned you off, at least for a little bit? It'd feel out of place, even in album like this. I still think it's an alright song, but it doesn't belong on the album. It belongs where it is: a bonus track.

True, maybe not placed anywhere. I think it works best as a denouement after Contact although the ending is fine the way it is too. It is a cool track and I wish it was at least included as a bonus for U.S.

Re: album flow I think the biggest problems are the placements of tracks 2, 3, 4... Very odd indeed

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

thathonkey posted:

Re: album flow I think the biggest problems are the placements of tracks 2, 3, 4... Very odd indeed

Agreeing heartily. They surround Giorgio with two downers and surround Touch with two Niles/Pharrel jams. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

For what it's worth, I played my girlfriend a few of the songs earlier since all she had heard was the radio edit of Get Lucky and Doin' It Right, and she really liked Giorgio but hated Touch and The Game Of Love and thought Instant Crush and Within were alright but not great v:shobon:v

• Locked thread