Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Scratch Monkey posted:

Yeah but none of those have ATGMs and while I see some chin mounted sensors I'm going to guess that they are used more for recon and not for aiming canons. Not exactly heavy hitters.

None of the ones I pictured do, but such things certainly exist. Here are a handful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Scratch Monkey posted:

Yeah but none of those have ATGMs and while I see some chin mounted sensors I'm going to guess that they are used more for recon and not for aiming canons. Not exactly heavy hitters.

If you pair Kiowa warriors with UH-60's carrying 4 quad packs of hellfires you can get this accomplished.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Diplomaticus posted:

Small nitpick -- when I was in college at FSU (Tallahassee) the forestry service had two de-gunned Cobras. So it sort of depends on the audience.

To be fair, FireCobras only exist because the Army surplused them. Also, the powerplant and transmission/gearboxes are nearly identical to a UH-1, so maintenance costs are minimal, comparatively. The Cobra is a poor example.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

According to the Wikipedia article, one of the Ka-50s was lost when its blades hit each other during hard maneuvering. I'd suspect the stacked assemblies make for extra maintenance hassle as well.

The big difference with the X2 and follow ons is that they use a full composite rigid rotor. It doesn't spanwise flex like old rotor systems which should greatly mitigate that risk.

Yes, the extra complexity is a big part of what makes it tough to do.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

It's interesting because in the 80s the Mi-28 design was dropped to the back burner after the Ka-50 design was chosen to be the Mi-24s effective replacement. Then in the early 90s they decided the Ka-50 didn't really offer anything special/better over the cheaper and less complex Mi-28 so they reversed the decision, built the Mi-28 instead (at that point it was/is essentially a Soviet version of the Longbow Apache), and purchased a token number of Ka-50s to keep Kamov afloat.

The Ka-50 looks cool, but really isn't anything special as an attack helicopter.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The entire gimmick of the Ka-50 is it's an attack helicopter with half the crew. Of course, this makes it hellishly difficult to employ in a combat zone so asides from the novelty factor and maybe casualty considerations (which I'm not sure the Russians give much weight) it's costs outweigh the benefits.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

:lol:

Oh the ARH-70. Arguably an even more hilarious waste of money than the USMC's Yankee/Zulu program.

Diplomaticus posted:

Small nitpick -- when I was in college at FSU (Tallahassee) the forestry service had two de-gunned Cobras. So it sort of depends on the audience.

CA forestry service uses several de-milled OV-10s as airborne firefighting lead attack aircraft, which is pretty baller:

They're equipped with smoke generators...after coordinating the response and determining the best line for the aircraft carrying retardant/water/whatever to drop, they'll drop down and lay a line using the smoke to serve as a guide for the aircraft that are dropping something.

Scratch Monkey posted:

As others pointed out there are plenty of utility helos that can carry and effectively employ ATGMs, and worth noting that in all honesty cannon on an attack helo isn't the most worthwhile thing on the planet because as the US Army has demonstrated to great effect over the past decade attack helos are really, really, REALLY vulnerable to AAA, and if you are engaging something with a cannon in a helo there's a pretty good chance you are within range of a bunch of guys on the ground with their own cannons.

So I'm out in SF visiting my sister, we went to SF-88 yesterday, REALLY cool. The only fully preserved/restored/functional Nike site (there's one up in AK that they've managed to preserve and are starting to restore, but it's been a long slog...they just opened to the public for one weekend for the first time last year, but being open to the public is going to be a pretty rare thing for the foreseeable future.) Anyway, SF-88 is fully functional: the search radar spins, the lift from the underground magazine functions (they've got a full complement of 6 missiles down there), and the launcher fully elevates. If you're in the Bay Area you need to stop by and pay a visit, you can see the entire site in about an hour and you should be going over to the Marin Headlands/Golden Gate National Rec Area anyway because it's awesome. Also if you do go up there make sure to check out the old fortifications...they're all over the place.

For mlmp08:

Here's a CNET photo gallery of the site to give you an idea of what's there

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

gfanikf posted:

Wait, people other than me have actually played Bravo Romeo Delta? Have you actually managed to win? I've been playing that game for years on and off and the best I've ever gotten is a stalemate.

Arc Light is a really enjoyable book. At the time I couldn't find a copy locally and my parents weren't buying stuff online, so I wrote the author asking if I could buy a copy from him and his wife (who was managing his email) actually sent me a copy for free!

I've only played a few games, all stalemates. The first game I did okay by going for the Peacekeeper fields with SS-18mod3 (whichever the 26mt warhead was) and plinking at bomber bases with the really lovely SLBMs. I barely used my bombers at all, ever.

Something tells me next time I should gun for Cheyenne Mountain and the LCCs, maybe even the Pentagon and White House with the right time-on-target between them, but I'm pretty sure two warheads of that scale into DC would go straight into Armageddon.

If I win the lottery I'm going to hire some Indian developers to make a multiplayer Bravo Romeo Delta (NOT DEFCON)

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

iyaayas01 posted:

So I'm out in SF visiting my sister, we went to SF-88 yesterday, REALLY cool. The only fully preserved/restored/functional Nike site (there's one up in AK that they've managed to preserve and are starting to restore, but it's been a long slog...they just opened to the public for one weekend for the first time last year, but being open to the public is going to be a pretty rare thing for the foreseeable future.) Anyway, SF-88 is fully functional: the search radar spins, the lift from the underground magazine functions (they've got a full complement of 6 missiles down there), and the launcher fully elevates. If you're in the Bay Area you need to stop by and pay a visit, you can see the entire site in about an hour and you should be going over to the Marin Headlands/Golden Gate National Rec Area anyway because it's awesome. Also if you do go up there make sure to check out the old fortifications...they're all over the place.

Hey, thanks for posting about this as I was considering heading there myself on my next trip up to the Bay Area (I had learned about it before but the bus up there wasn't running at the time) and now I know I'll do it for sure.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MJP posted:

I've only played a few games, all stalemates. The first game I did okay by going for the Peacekeeper fields with SS-18mod3 (whichever the 26mt warhead was) and plinking at bomber bases with the really lovely SLBMs. I barely used my bombers at all, ever.
Yeah, I don't think my games every went far enough for the bombers to make a difference. I generally tried using the Satan's too take out the silos and sub bases. Part of the problem is that even spacing them out I don't think I ever got a good sweep. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned the key seems to be comms along with the silos. I did try a first strike on comms once, but it didn't work.

quote:

Something tells me next time I should gun for Cheyenne Mountain and the LCCs, maybe even the Pentagon and White House with the right time-on-target between them, but I'm pretty sure two warheads of that scale into DC would go straight into Armageddon.
Oh yeah, I would sometimes get annoyed and just do it because I wanted to end the game quickly so I would just go for body counts.

quote:

If I win the lottery I'm going to hire some Indian developers to make a multiplayer Bravo Romeo Delta (NOT DEFCON)
I just want to have some more data reporting, real time tracking, and knowing that you can lower an alert level. The game has so much raw potential for something different than a DEFCON game. Let's not also forget the bugs were bases hit seemed to sometimes get better (airbases only if I recall).

drat I really kind of want to play the game right now instead of work.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of games and dad fiction - did anyone here:

A) Play Megafortress (Dale Brown ftw, the only author I know of to reference his own writing in a novel - Chains of Command had the line "You've read one too many Dale Brown novels!" or something like it)
B) Actually successfully do the sharp dive to evade ATC way early on in the Flight of the Old Dog campaign?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Lemme post this again :smug:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koesj posted:

Lemme post this again :smug:

Yes, I've seen that pic on the comments for a youtube video before. :smuggo:....now please describe in as much detail as possible, how the hell you actually did that. Please I want to get that stupid victory screen so bad it's not even funny.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Check the comments on that vid again, people have been figuring out more stuff than I ever did.

"It's also important not to launch more than 12 missiles in the first 50 minutes of the game, as that will provoke an overwhelming response. As I said, once you have more than 4 million dead, it's impossible to win. The criteria for winning seems to be when your force correlation passes 3.0. But you must achieve this within the first 2 hours of game-time. Fire on the ICBMs and subs from the outset, wait 50 mins, then keep cutting loose until they are all destroyed."

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's something about readiness? I usually start every game by setting everything to the next alert level up wherever possible (bombers to strip alert, airborne alert, reactor start, etc.).

BRD assumes that someone's gonna launch no matter what, right? It strikes me as not being a good idea to play defensively and not get a first strike in. I just kinda wish they had some kind of map overlay to see what counterforce-capable SLBMs are available. That might be a huge, huge difference.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

MJP posted:

Speaking of games and dad fiction - did anyone here:

A) Play Megafortress (Dale Brown ftw, the only author I know of to reference his own writing in a novel - Chains of Command had the line "You've read one too many Dale Brown novels!" or something like it)
B) Actually successfully do the sharp dive to evade ATC way early on in the Flight of the Old Dog campaign?

Megafortress was one of the first few games that I ever played. I loved it and it got me interested in military sims. However, I was maybe all of 10 or 11 years old so the Flight of the Old Dog was an impossible mission for me. I'd always get noticed by one of the ground radars and then I got blown up by SA missiles.

Edit: I just found my manual! Memories! The poor old thing is falling apart though. The glue on the spine hasn't handled 20 years well.

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 21, 2013

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Is there a way to get Bravo Romeo Delta working on a 64 bit machine? I have played around with compatibility a bit but nothing seems to do the trick.

All I want to do is wipe out the capitalist pigs :(

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

DesperateDan posted:

Is there a way to get Bravo Romeo Delta working on a 64 bit machine? I have played around with compatibility a bit but nothing seems to do the trick.

All I want to do is wipe out the capitalist pigs :(

Give DOSBOX a try, BRD works fine for me in it.

http://www.dosbox.com

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mach420 posted:

Megafortress was one of the first few games that I ever played. I loved it and it got me interested in military sims. However, I was maybe all of 10 or 11 years old so the Flight of the Old Dog was an impossible mission for me. I'd always get noticed by one of the ground radars and then I got blown up by SA missiles.

Edit: I just found my manual! Memories! The poor old thing is falling apart though. The glue on the spine hasn't handled 20 years well.

How did you do the dive maneuver in the start? I never, ever got past it.

A helpful soul transcribed the manual with such wonderful entries as "Inflate Refueling." Because operating a strategic bomber should have captcha-esque instructions.

Also "Bear" Brown :v

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Hoopy Frood posted:

Give DOSBOX a try, BRD works fine for me in it.

http://www.dosbox.com

Thanks, that did the trick.

Wish I could go all out from the start though :)

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Has anyone played the World at War series of boardgames? If so, how were they?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Koesj posted:

Check the comments on that vid again, people have been figuring out more stuff than I ever did.

"It's also important not to launch more than 12 missiles in the first 50 minutes of the game, as that will provoke an overwhelming response. As I said, once you have more than 4 million dead, it's impossible to win. The criteria for winning seems to be when your force correlation passes 3.0. But you must achieve this within the first 2 hours of game-time. Fire on the ICBMs and subs from the outset, wait 50 mins, then keep cutting loose until they are all destroyed."

Huh I've been trying that strategy for years, really annoying if it's all in the timing vs where you're hitting

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Oh ho, just found out there's an IL-2 up at the Flying Heritage Museum - and it's flyable. Not with the original engine (try sourcing one of those, I bet it's basically impossible) but it uses a contemporary; an Allison V-1710 from a P-38.

Everett, though, ughhhh.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I really need to get off my rear end and make the trip up there one day. I really should have already because they were flying the MiG-29 recently.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Do they announce when they're flying stuff ahead of time? Because I'd go and try to get some sweetass takeoff/landing shots of, well, basically anything in their collection.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I saw it on their facebook, looks like they announced it on their twitter too, and probably on their website. It was a couple days in advance, but I'm not sure if they do this regularly or just happened to give everyone a heads-up before it happened.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
I miss Microprose and their strategy games. I used to play Red Storm Rising all the time. I actually tried to play it on my Nexus on the plane. I quickly realized I needed a real keyboard. Not the ghost keyboard offered by dosbox.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

_firehawk posted:

I miss Microprose and their strategy games. I used to play Red Storm Rising all the time. I actually tried to play it on my Nexus on the plane. I quickly realized I needed a real keyboard. Not the ghost keyboard offered by dosbox.

And a keyboard overlay too. I had Red Storm Rising as a kid, it's what got me into all this crap to begin with. "Wow, this computer game was based off a book? Maybe I should re-"

726 pages in 6th grade later...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

_firehawk posted:

That's back when game manuals were insane. The manual for the original _Gunship_ had big sections on the aerodynamics of rotary-wing flight, and what looked like excerpts straight out of Jane's detailing every piece of Soviet hardware in the game. The manual for the original _Silence Service_ went into the trigonometry of target-motion-analysis.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

MJP posted:

And a keyboard overlay too. I had Red Storm Rising as a kid, it's what got me into all this crap to begin with. "Wow, this computer game was based off a book? Maybe I should re-"

I just read Arc Light, one thing I absolutely loved about the book was there was no awkward romance other than the author's with the US Military.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Phanatic posted:

That's back when game manuals were insane. The manual for the original _Gunship_ had big sections on the aerodynamics of rotary-wing flight, and what looked like excerpts straight out of Jane's detailing every piece of Soviet hardware in the game. The manual for the original _Silence Service_ went into the trigonometry of target-motion-analysis.

Sadly everything I know about radar and missile evasion comes from F117A.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Reading the 250+ page thick manuals, complete with histories of the air war in the pacific and european theaters, for Aces of the Pacific and Aces over Europe is very real part of the explanation for why I am what I am today.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MJP posted:

Fifth grade. Otherwise completely accurate to describe me, as well. :colbert:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Cyrano4747 posted:

Reading the 250+ page thick manuals, complete with histories of the air war in the pacific and european theaters, for Aces of the Pacific and Aces over Europe is very real part of the explanation for why I am what I am today.
I used the Aces over Europe manual as a reference in AP US History :)

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

MJP posted:

I never played the game, but the bricklike paperback lived in my backpack for years during middle school, and I tried and failed to get into it a dozen times. Only after I'd played some RPGs and wargames was I able to appreciate it. It's not a great novel, but if you've got a few years of Civilization, Harpoon, and others under your belt it makes so much more sense.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Funny that when you get down to it a decent chunk of the book is about logistics. Which honestly would be a huge loving headache in a conventional ground war in Europe. Explosives are heavy.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

benito posted:

I never played the game, but the bricklike paperback lived in my backpack for years during middle school, and I tried and failed to get into it a dozen times. Only after I'd played some RPGs and wargames was I able to appreciate it. It's not a great novel, but if you've got a few years of Civilization, Harpoon, and others under your belt it makes so much more sense.

Red Storm Rising is basically Harpoon fan-fiction, which is why it matches up so well.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NightGyr posted:

Red Storm Rising is basically Harpoon fan-fiction, which is why it matches up so well.

Harpoon was used to test out the scenarios, which helps explains why it matches up so well.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

gfanikf posted:

Harpoon was used to test out the scenarios, which helps explains why it matches up so well.

It went deeper than that, his coauthor was the designer of Harpoon. It's like turning your D&D sessions into a fantasy novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

I used to play a ton of Aces of the Pacific on my grandfather's computer, but he didn't have the manuals. :(