Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Grundulum posted:

Thanks for the quick responses. I figured it might come to sleep, in which case the answer would seem to be "get more" rather than changing the schedule of what I do get. I'm already awake for several hours before I'm fully in gear, so getting up earlier isn't really an option. Guess I'll start cutting out the nighttime attempts at productivity (and associated caffeine intake) in favor of going to bed earlier!

"Getting in gear" earlier was what I was suggesting. It's not easy but it may be the solution. I tried the go to sleep earlier thing and it just made it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ron Don Volante posted:

That's a good idea, thanks. I'm selling back textbooks to Amazon, so I should end up with several hundred dollars of credit. I almost wonder if I could offer the same deal on Craigslist to the general public with no discount, just access to Amazon prime.
The amount of total garbage responses you'd get on CL would probably make it not worth the effort. That and I wouldn't be surprised if what you want to do is against Amazon's TOS, so there's no point in broadcasting it to the world.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

"Getting in gear" earlier was what I was suggesting. It's not easy but it may be the solution. I tried the go to sleep earlier thing and it just made it worse.

I find when I have actual face to face contact scheduled early, then I'm much more productive. When I have "poo poo that needs doing" in the morning I just gently caress around until panic mode sets in.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I know very little about Justin Bieber (not that I've been living under a rock, I'm just old and take no interest in teen pop stars). Can somebody give me the bullet points as to why he is so hated and loved?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
The answer to both questions is that he sings catchy pop songs and is attractive in a tween-pop-star way.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Baron Bifford posted:

I know very little about Justin Bieber (not that I've been living under a rock, I'm just old and take no interest in teen pop stars). Can somebody give me the bullet points as to why he is so hated and loved?

He's hated because he's super popular and sings silly pop songs. He's loved because he's the prettyboy du jour, cf. the whole boyband phenomenon of the late 90's.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Also hated for his "rape happens for a reason" comments :allears:

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!
This maybe in the wrong forum, but I'll try.

SUMMARY: I have a ton of information stored in an online database, and was wondering the easiest way to scrape all of the data from a webpage and convert it to an excel file. This may sound like a stupid question to tech guys who probably do this 594 times a day, but as an independent business owner, I've got no one to turn to. :(

DETAIL: I've switched from an online database program that DOES NOT have an export feature. There are 15 different ways to import data to this site, but no way to get it back out. Granted, I can manually go through every contact and copy them over, but it would take weeks. I need to know if there is a way to have some kind of program (preferably for Mac, but I have both) that will just rip all of the text on the page and put it in cute columns in excel format.

I've heard you can write a text file with code and have excel read it and import data, but that seems tough.

Any ideas? I can't bring myself to start doing this project manually when I just KNOW there has to be a simple way to do it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Nermal. posted:

This maybe in the wrong forum, but I'll try.

SUMMARY: I have a ton of information stored in an online database, and was wondering the easiest way to scrape all of the data from a webpage and convert it to an excel file. This may sound like a stupid question to tech guys who probably do this 594 times a day, but as an independent business owner, I've got no one to turn to. :(

DETAIL: I've switched from an online database program that DOES NOT have an export feature. There are 15 different ways to import data to this site, but no way to get it back out. Granted, I can manually go through every contact and copy them over, but it would take weeks. I need to know if there is a way to have some kind of program (preferably for Mac, but I have both) that will just rip all of the text on the page and put it in cute columns in excel format.

I've heard you can write a text file with code and have excel read it and import data, but that seems tough.

Any ideas? I can't bring myself to start doing this project manually when I just KNOW there has to be a simple way to do it.
Are we talking won't export at all, or just won't export in .xls format?

Could you say what database software you're using, specifically?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
assuming it's displayed in a HTML table, you can try this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/export-to-csv/

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!

Schweinhund posted:

assuming it's displayed in a HTML table, you can try this:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/export-to-csv/

HAHAHA this worked. I KNEW it would be this easy. This dumb thing made a CSV file and Excel opened it. You are a god.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

A British friend of mine has asked me for the names of some NFB (National Film Board of Canada) films that she and her daughter had seen on TV yeas ago on the other side of the pond. I gave her a bunch of links but she can't find exactly what she's looking for. Her description:

quote:

I'd like to see some again, like the one with the human cloning machine and the one where lots of men stood in a line leading to the edge of a cliff and shuffled along, pushing each one off in turn.

Does that ring any bells with anyone?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Baron Bifford posted:

Other people have chimed in, but a few more negatives:

He has a bad track record with animals. He gave away his pet hamster to some random person in the crowd during one of his performances. No cage. No food. Not even a little blanket or towel or anything, just "Here. A hamster". He has also jerked around the German government about adopting a Capuchin monkey as a pet. Short version is that the monkey is now in a zoo, and safe, but Justin's still on the hook for the care and feeding of said animal while it was at a vet's office.

Either he or one of his Rap Star friends has crashed two of his sports cars.

He has often shown up several hours late for his own performances, with no explanation or apology.

He visited the Anne Frank house and wrote in the guestbook that he hopes she would have been a "Belieber" aka, a super fan.

(My local radio personalities have an almost daily update about the shenanegans that he pulls)

So it's stuff running the gamut from douchebag to criminal with a few stops for unapologetic rear end in a top hat.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

Other people have chimed in, but a few more negatives:

So it's stuff running the gamut from douchebag to criminal with a few stops for unapologetic rear end in a top hat.

This is true, but it's also true that many other rock/pop stars have done acts at least as bad, if not worse, than those without inspiring the same level of hate. What brings the hate up that extra notch is this, I think:

User-Friendly posted:

The answer to both questions is that he sings catchy pop songs and is attractive in a tween-pop-star way.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

This is probably not a small question, but I'm a little afraid to ask in TFR, so...here goes:

Whenever there is a discussion about having online gun registries or anything like that, the NRA pundits say that it's a "slippery slope towards a national registry" or something to that effect. The gun control pundits jump to say that they definitely aren't trying to create one. My question is, why? What is the big deal behind a national gun registry, and why shouldn't there be one? At the very least, why shouldn't there be a state-by-state database? I heard a piece on NPR the other day about the long and involved process used to trace guns, and it just seems a little ridiculous in this day and age.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Amelia Song posted:

This is probably not a small question, but I'm a little afraid to ask in TFR, so...here goes:

Whenever there is a discussion about having online gun registries or anything like that, the NRA pundits say that it's a "slippery slope towards a national registry" or something to that effect. The gun control pundits jump to say that they definitely aren't trying to create one. My question is, why? What is the big deal behind a national gun registry, and why shouldn't there be one? At the very least, why shouldn't there be a state-by-state database? I heard a piece on NPR the other day about the long and involved process used to trace guns, and it just seems a little ridiculous in this day and age.

Having a national gun registry is supposed to make it easier for the government to come and take your guns when the time comes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it's not a small question. Most of the relatively reasonable objections revolve around the idea that gun owners who haven't broken any laws should not be subject to undue scrutiny and red tape or otherwise treated like potential criminals. Most of the unreasonable objections are about how a gun registry is itself a slippery slope to a mass gun confiscation program.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

It just seems so odd to me. Most car owners haven't broken any laws and don't deserve to be under scrutiny, and yet they all register their cars in a database that can be accessed if the car is used in a crime. Why is it such a stretch to do the same thing with guns?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There is no clause in the constitution about the right to own cars and no major lobbying organization to throw tons of money at influencing car legislation.

Again, this is not a small issue, and if this discussion goes on for too long people are probably going to get angry about it. Your best bet for more in-depth info is to look in DnD or brave the waters of TFR..

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Fair enough! Thanks for your speedy responses.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Is cats craving fruit a sign of impending death? Or kidney failure? Or feline Alzheimers?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

muike posted:

Is cats craving fruit a sign of impending death? Or kidney failure? Or feline Alzheimers?

The folks in Penis Land might help you better with this kind of question in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701637

E wait I have my own question. Any suggestions for cleaning out a sifter? Someone tried to wash it with a fair amount of flour in it and now it's all gummed up with dry gritty clumps of wheat that won't sift out. The main problem is the clumps between the two sieves that wont dissolve completely.

value-brand cereal fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 23, 2013

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wedemeyer posted:

E wait I have my own question. Any suggestions for cleaning out a sifter? Someone tried to wash it with a fair amount of flour in it and now it's all gummed up with dry gritty clumps of wheat that won't sift out. The main problem is the clumps between the two sieves that wont dissolve completely.
Immerse it in very hot water (even boiling if it's all metal) and let it sit.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

haveblue posted:

There is no clause in the constitution about the right to own cars and no major lobbying organization to throw tons of money at influencing car legislation.

Again, this is not a small issue, and if this discussion goes on for too long people are probably going to get angry about it. Your best bet for more in-depth info is to look in DnD or brave the waters of TFR..

Amelia Song posted:

Fair enough! Thanks for your speedy responses.

Your question is directly pointed towards gun owners, so you should ask for the perspective of actual gun owners. All in all, TFR has one of the most educated and sane group of individuals who post online and own guns. By posting this question in DnD, you will hear one side of the issue, and by posting in TFR you will get another. I just hope that you do not exclude yourself from hearing different sides of an argument by ignoring another. If you do decide to post in TFR, be sure to read through a whole bunch of pages in the stickies and absolutely do not make a new thread about your question.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I have a hosed up question that I know may make me sound crazy but I want serious answers. I was just out on my roof smoking a cigarette and as I was going out my window I saw a shimmer on my roof like it was wet. It has been very humid where I live(Fairfax VA) for the past week and while it has rained, it didn't rain today. As I was smoking I could distinctly hear and feel rain droplets falling around me and onto my skin, but when I looked upwards, while there were clouds, there were none directly above me as I could see stars. The air was very still and I was sheltered on one side by a higher-up roof, so these droplets must have been falling straight down. Has anyone experienced this? I googled it but the consensus is it can not rain without clouds.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Why are courtroom artists still a thing? Wikipedia says its to prevent distraction and protect privacy, but I don't see how releasing an as accurate as possible sketch is any better for a person's privacy than a photo would be. As for distractions, there's half a dozen ways of capturing a still image that wouldn't make noise or flash. Putting aside ideas of whether any images from a court proceeding should be released to the public, it seems so weird that they still choose to get a guy to chalk it onto some paper. In the UK they aren't even allowed to sketch in the courtroom, they have to do it from memory.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

clownskull posted:

I have a hosed up question that I know may make me sound crazy but I want serious answers. I was just out on my roof smoking a cigarette and as I was going out my window I saw a shimmer on my roof like it was wet. It has been very humid where I live(Fairfax VA) for the past week and while it has rained, it didn't rain today. As I was smoking I could distinctly hear and feel rain droplets falling around me and onto my skin, but when I looked upwards, while there were clouds, there were none directly above me as I could see stars. The air was very still and I was sheltered on one side by a higher-up roof, so these droplets must have been falling straight down. Has anyone experienced this? I googled it but the consensus is it can not rain without clouds.

Okay I asked my weather friend, an atmospheric scientist.

quote:

you can get rain even without clouds directly above you. they must fall from clouds, though. they can be blown by upper winds away from the clouds, or the clouds can be blown a little ways before the rain reaches you the author [clownskull] states there were clouds somewhere up there, so the rain must have come from those. you can't have rain without clouds.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I can always count on you, EW. Thank you.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Is it possible to be allergic to heavy cream, but not to milk? I drink 1/3 to 1/2 a gallon of whole milk a day and never have any problems. If I have even a tablespoon of whipped cream made with heavy cream, my stomach kills for a few hours.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Xenoborg posted:

Is it possible to be allergic to heavy cream, but not to milk? I drink 1/3 to 1/2 a gallon of whole milk a day and never have any problems. If I have even a tablespoon of whipped cream made with heavy cream, my stomach kills for a few hours.

Yes. My son will vom after the smallest amount of single cream but can drink endless amounts of milk. My wife will vom after drinking whole milk but can drink semi skimmed no problem.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Hoops posted:

Why are courtroom artists still a thing? Wikipedia says its to prevent distraction and protect privacy, but I don't see how releasing an as accurate as possible sketch is any better for a person's privacy than a photo would be. As for distractions, there's half a dozen ways of capturing a still image that wouldn't make noise or flash. Putting aside ideas of whether any images from a court proceeding should be released to the public, it seems so weird that they still choose to get a guy to chalk it onto some paper. In the UK they aren't even allowed to sketch in the courtroom, they have to do it from memory.

Because in some states and in all federal courts you aren't allowed to have cameras or recording devices, because that's the way it's always been and that's that. The judicial system has a lot of "just because" rules. The US Supreme Court acted like it was so shocking and important and that we should all be so grateful to them for allowing audio transcripts of oral arguments to be made public.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
What do people mean when they refer to a movie as a vehicle for an actor?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

ThatPazuzu posted:

It's supposed to be something that showcases that actor's best features and make a lot of money.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

ThatPazuzu posted:

See the third definition here:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vehicle

Or it could be that it's a movie about Herbie, the love bug.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ThatPazuzu posted:

It moves their career forward?

Like back in 1991 or so when Arnold Schwarzenegger had T2 re-written with him as a protagonist because he wanted leading roles in big movies and voila, he's playing non-cyborg/barbarian/soldier characters. Then he gets a lot of friendly paternal roles where he can show off how he's a sensitive bad-rear end. This might not be the best example but the idea (I think) is that it furthers their careers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_vehicle

Also as a launchpad for mostly unheard of or unbankable "talent" I guess?

e:fb

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

If I have a ebay/Paypal claim filed against me for "nad" (item not as described) am I pretty much screwed no matter what? I'm the seller.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Ron Don Volante posted:

If I have a ebay/Paypal claim filed against me for "nad" (item not as described) am I pretty much screwed no matter what? I'm the seller.
Yep. A least in my experience and everyone I've ever heard talk about it.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
Not sure if this was worth its own thread so I figure I'll play it safe and post here. My dad's birthday is coming up and I figured it would be cool to give him some history. Some family history!

I want to give him a genealogy record of however far back it can go. Neither me or my brothers ever met our grandpa on my dad's side (died before we were born) so it would be awesome for us as well. Problem is my parents are from Germany and moved to Canada in..well I'm not even sure I think 1984 and then to the states in 1993. Point is any records I'd be looking for are strictly from Germany, and the top hits I've google'd aren't too helpful.

Maybe I just suck at google but I'd love to get in touch with someone or a website who can trace those records and I'd certainly pay some big dollars for it. Is this just a shot in the dark?

ThatsSoNotPLUR
Nov 29, 2011

Hey all, I'm currently living with one of my friends and 2 of his friends, I moved here from out of state last august. The lease was originally until the end of this month but last winter I signed an extension until early 2014.

My best friend is moving cross country and wants me to come, I've wanted to do this for a long time but I'm not sure what the etiquette on leaving during a lease is? If I give decent notice and find a sublettor is that okay, or am I being a dick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

ThatsSoNotPLUR posted:

Hey all, I'm currently living with one of my friends and 2 of his friends, I moved here from out of state last august. The lease was originally until the end of this month but last winter I signed an extension until early 2014.

My best friend is moving cross country and wants me to come, I've wanted to do this for a long time but I'm not sure what the etiquette on leaving during a lease is? If I give decent notice and find a sublettor is that okay, or am I being a dick?
It is kind of dickish, but at least understandable.

You should do everything you can to help them find an acceptable sublettor; hell, if you find someone better than you, it's even an upgrade for them. And if they're friends, and you know you're doing this, you should let them know right loving now.