Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ez posted:

Yeah, there's too much going on, it should just be a drop of blood and a bunch of neckties on a folded paper background.

I was just about to photoshop this joke, you jerk :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Tarantino is more about paying homage to the 70s instead of making movies based in the 70s.

I mean it's refreshing to see that general aesthetic and soundtrack without Tarantino, regardless of when it's set.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah that movie looks alright. I just want Clive Owen to get more work, dude hasn't been in that much stuff lately, at least not in any bigger productions and it felt like he was a bit underused in The Shadow Dancer despite being a pretty good movie.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Tewratomeh posted:

I mean it's refreshing to see that general aesthetic and soundtrack without Tarantino, regardless of when it's set.

gently caress yeah, Lee Moses. Hope the actual soundtrack is awesome too.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Crudup looks like a grown up Russel Hammond :allears:

Well he kind of is. I like to imagine a world where a grown-up Stillwater is running scams and doing contract killings.

Totally down for this movie as well though. That trailer.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Any idea why the movie would already have this crappy score of 4.7/10 on IMDB? It says 58 reviews, but the film hasn't even been publicly released anywhere yet, has it?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

Any idea why the movie would already have this crappy score of 4.7/10 on IMDB? It says 58 reviews, but the film hasn't even been publicly released anywhere yet, has it?
It's blank and says 'awaiting 5 votes' for me. :confused:

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It looks like that score is from user votes- maybe it's drawing in internet hatred for some reason.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That poster is boring as hell but like others have said authentic. Looks like it would fit right in anywhere from 1975 to 1982.

Speaking of authentic 1970s movie posters...

Barf Wight
Sep 4, 2011
OK, you can stop yelling :hf:

Red_Museum posted:

Set during the 70s, if you can belive that

SRM posted:

If it wasn't brought to my attention that Clive Owen was in this, I would've thought this was actually a movie from the 70s. That's a pretty authentic poster.
I didn't even question it, I just thought someone posted a pretty neat poster from the 70's (I didn't see the cast billing), good job, whoever did that.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Nikaer Drekin posted:

It looks like that score is from user votes- maybe it's drawing in internet hatred for some reason.

iMDb users are pretty much universally awful, so I imagine it's just a bunch of bored teenaged nerds thinking the trailer and poster look "old and boring, like something out of the 80's". Once people have actually seen the movie the score will probably go up to the median iMDb score of 7.8.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I was just about to photoshop this joke, you jerk :mad:

You can still do it. I'd like to see it.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Nikaer Drekin posted:

It was just shown at Cannes out of competition and is getting mixed reviews.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Saul Bass imitation: Not just for film posters anymore.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Those are some rad optometry text books.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
Check out this clusterfuck of marketing: that is some Baby's First Photoshop poo poo right there.

TRAIN SURFIN' HORSE, Y'ALL.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

Check out this clusterfuck of marketing: that is some Baby's First Photoshop poo poo right there.

Don't blame the designer on that. The execution really isn't the issue. That's something that was clearly designed by committee and put unrealistic pressures on the designer due to a whole lot of people not understanding their job and the push-and-pull when it comes to theses things. And that resulted in a whole lot of compromise.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
My favorite part is the train in the foreground being on seemingly the same track as the crashing train on the collapsing tracks in the background.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

User-Friendly posted:

My favorite part is the train in the foreground being on seemingly the same track as the crashing train on the collapsing tracks in the background.

Even better is the galloping horse on top of the foreground train.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

Dat text :negative:

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

So the movie features Johnny Depp in old makeup and a big beard, while Armie Hammer is in drag?

Who are these two guys in the middle?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I like how the sun is right behind them but they're clearly being heavily lit from the side.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hewlett posted:

So the movie features Johnny Depp in old makeup and a big beard, while Armie Hammer is in drag?

Who are these two guys in the middle?

Could we seriously stop with the name placement bullshit. That poo poo was funny/clever/interesting/topical NEVER.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Noxville posted:

I like how the sun is right behind them but they're clearly being heavily lit from the side.

Except the guy foreground left, he's clearly already in the moonlight which is somehow 6 feet in front of the other people.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

So they are in a panic mode with this film too? Now they have resorted to "let's just throw everything against the wall, SOMETHING must stick!". I've seen about 3 different trailers for this and I still couldn't tell what the story is. Of course sometimes it is good not to tell everything, but I'd like if there was more to it than "Bill Fichtner tries to ____, Indian-Depp and Hammer try to stop him, action follows". But then again, it's Verbinski burning away Disney's money in a somewhat nice fashion so I can't be too mad about it.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I do like though that a literal train wreck is present in the marketing material for this movie.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's the sequel to Wild Wild West that all of us never wanted!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 22, 2013

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Kush posted:

Of course sometimes it is good not to tell everything, but I'd like if there was more to it than "Bill Fichtner tries to ____, Indian-Depp and Hammer try to stop him, action follows".

This, big time. From what I can tell Lone Ranger is shot by Fitchner, resurrected by Tonto(?), and they team up to seek revenge. Oh, and Helena Bonham Carter is in it and has a leg cannon. Oh, and apparently there's a train sequence because every trailer has been built around showcasing it. It's like they're so banking on "Johnny Depp in makeup" that they don't feel the need to actually show anything of substance about the movie itself.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ez posted:

You can still do it. I'd like to see it.

It's done. The moment is ruined :mad:

also my attempt would have sucked anyway

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

What the hell is even going on here

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
Okay, I know I posted the poster originally and everything, but I just noticed the two dwarf's on the far-right. Wow.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It's like a goddamn Asylum poster. You'd think with a budget as big as that movie has ($250 million :psyboom: ), they'd allocate enough for some loving decent posters, but I guess not!

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

SuitcoatAvenger posted:

Okay, I know I posted the poster originally and everything, but I just noticed the two dwarf's on the far-right. Wow.

Is that a SKELETON?!

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Here's a huge version we can scrutinize.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

spanky the dolphin posted:

oh they aren't dwarfs they are tiny doll prostitutes? Why are there chickens next to Carter, how did that get into the committee? This poster is the gift that keeps on giving, so many tiny inexplicable details.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

There's a full brass band playing on top of the train in between the surfing horse and a full blown gun fight.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Do Tonto and the Lone Ranger spend all their time hand cuffed together?

Is this actually a remake of the Laurence Fishburne/Stephen Baldwin vehicle 'Fled'?

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

spanky the dolphin posted:

Oh lord. It looks like everything has suddenly appeared from their own dimensions to a new one with no relation to each other.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It's like a goddamn Asylum poster. You'd think with a budget as big as that movie has ($250 million :psyboom: ), they'd allocate enough for some loving decent posters, but I guess not!

I think it also comes down to a clear vision they should have had (and probably did) even before the film has started shooting. I mean, if you look at the Man of Steel trailers and posters, everything looks so carefully planned. Everyone of those lens flares and color schemes look like they have a point and they belong. Even Wolverine has those Japanese style posters and themes, even if the trailer makes the film look a little flat and pointless, they still try.

With this, they have once again fallen into the pit of "Westerns are so hard to sell". Surely they should have known this from the beginning. Westerns are always their own thing, they all look the same; dusty, dry, washed out colors. Some people find those things boring and somehow "lifeless".
Now they had the advantage of Verbinski and Depp team and surely that's how they started out. Then they probably had some analysts going "people aren't responding to zany Indian-Depp as well as we hoped". There you have your first and biggest problem.

They then start throwing in everything they have. Now it's over the top action film with huge setpieces and crazy western action.
Like Wild Wild West? SHIIIIEEET.
Now there's some mystique and weird spiritual things, maybe otherworldly things and characters!
Like Jonah Hex? SHHHHHHHIIIIIII-

IT'S EVERYTHING, LOOK! GO SEE IT!

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Lobok posted:

quote:

What image is this reminding me of? It's either an iconic poster for another movie or it's a book cover. I know I've seen those clasping hands somewhere.

Late, but this bugged me too. It's almost certainly a (really bad) homage to this Walking Dead cover:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Could we seriously stop with the name placement bullshit. That poo poo was funny/clever/interesting/topical NEVER.

Also, that's the least of the problems with that poster. By a loving country mile.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Holy poo poo. There's no way this pile is going to break even, let alone be a hit.

TheJoker138 posted:

There's a full brass band playing on top of the train in between the surfing horse and a full blown gun fight.

And then after all that poo poo, the graphic designer yelled "gently caress it, might as well throw a poo poo load of birds in there too!" in exhaustion and defeat.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 10:00 on May 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

Holy poo poo. There's no way this pile is going to break even, let alone be a hit.

The train wreck will be better than the movie.

e: The metaphorical train wreck. Not the train wreck in the actual movie. That will be part of the movie and thus be part of the aforementioned metaphorical train wreck.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 22, 2013