Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Would it be a terrible idea for me to get a Shadow 1100 as a first bike? A buddy of mine has one that I'm thinking about buying. He gave me a little mini lesson in his driveway yesterday (pretty much just walk the bike and back it up, over and over to get a feel for the clutch and throttle) and I liked it a lot better than my other friend's Suzuki Boulevard, and that bike was an 800.

I know the 250 rule isn't set in stone, and it's not like it's a sportbike, but just thought I'd ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It wouldn't be too bad. It's heavy but if I recall correctly they don't make more than 70hp/60ish torque due to the hydraulic adjusters.

Have you taken the MSF?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

spixxor posted:

Would it be a terrible idea for me to get a Shadow 1100 as a first bike? A buddy of mine has one that I'm thinking about buying. He gave me a little mini lesson in his driveway yesterday (pretty much just walk the bike and back it up, over and over to get a feel for the clutch and throttle) and I liked it a lot better than my other friend's Suzuki Boulevard, and that bike was an 800.

I know the 250 rule isn't set in stone, and it's not like it's a sportbike, but just thought I'd ask.

If you took the BRC it probably won't kill you. It will comfortably take you just about anywhere, too.

I think the 1100 is about on par, power-wise, with a SV650. It's heavy though so it'll be slower, and chances of dropping it a stoplight or in your driveway are higher than with a tiny 250.

I guarantee you'll make the dumb mistake of nosing into a parking space facing down a hill once - after that you'll be more careful about parking that massive beast facing uphill :)

Xovaan posted:

they don't make more than 70hp/60ish torque due to the hydraulic adjusters.

Big cruiser vtwins are usually less powerful because they turn slower (rpm being a crucial component of horsepower) with their long strokes and (usually!) less valve area per unit of displacement. The 1100 makes max power at 5500 and probably redlines a couple hundred rpm past that. My Buell runs hydraulic lifters and it makes high-90s horsepower and about 80lbft of torque because the valves in it are about the biggest that will fit and the compression is probably too high.

The biggest practical difference hydraulic lifters make on a cruiser vtwin is in the maintenance intervals. Solid lifters are generally more maintenance intensive.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 22, 2013

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

If you took the BRC it probably won't kill you. It will comfortably take you just about anywhere, too.

I think the 1100 is about on par, power-wise, with a SV650. It's heavy though so it'll be slower, and chances of dropping it a stoplight or in your driveway are higher than with a tiny 250.

I guarantee you'll make the dumb mistake of nosing into a parking space facing down a hill once - after that you'll be more careful about parking that massive beast facing uphill :)

Haven't taken the course yet but definitely going to before I start actually riding.

I'm not so sure about forgetting and parking downhill though, I spent about half the time yesterday backing it up a downwards slope so I got a taste of what it would be like, haha. It is a bit heavy, especially since I'm pretty small, but it balances nicely and I have no problem standing or holding it up. It also has squishier (for lack of a better term, haha) brakes than the Suzuki I putted around on. I had some problems really feeling confident on that bike because it seemed to just stop dead when I used the front brake which made me like I was going to keel over, whereas the Shadow kind of absorbs the shock and gives me a moment to catch myself. Does that make sense?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

spixxor posted:

Where the hell did you read about a "250 rule?"

From what I can find the Shadow 1100 has ~50hp, which is right on the money. Know you WILL drop the bike, and repairing chrome is a lot more expensive than fixing paint. I rode an 1100 at some point, and a 750. They handle just fine, which is the best I can say for any cruiser.

The 750 was hilariously slow.

Take the MSF, you absolutely will learn bad habits if you do not.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nerobro posted:

From what I can find the Shadow 1100 has ~50hp, which is right on the money. Know you WILL drop the bike, and repairing chrome is a lot more expensive than fixing paint. I rode an 1100 at some point, and a 750. They handle just fine, which is the best I can say for any cruiser.

How does a bike license actually work in the states? Do they just give you a piece of paper to go along with your car one or something? NZ's license test involves a basic handling skills test which from what I can tell is almost exactly like the MSF except if you screw up you fail. Not that this stops people being useless retards, but it's something.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Slavvy posted:

How does a bike license actually work in the states? Do they just give you a piece of paper to go along with your car one or something? NZ's license test involves a basic handling skills test which from what I can tell is almost exactly like the MSF except if you screw up you fail. Not that this stops people being useless retards, but it's something.

You schedule an appointment online with your local Department of Motor Vehicles. The day of your appointment, you go down and stand in a line full of excited teenagers and bleary-eyed adults who wish only to die. When your number is called you step forward to the Proper Window with your ID, birth certificate, paystub and relevant utility bills. When these are all scanned in triplicate and passed through the Great Computer, you are allowed to proceed to the Reservation Line for delousing, photo-taking and fingerprinting. Once this has been done you proceed to another room to take the M1/motorcycle test (written test only if you have your MSF skills waiver, otherwise written + skills). There will be a token fat security guard who might wander over and make it obvious he is observing your cheating methods.

If the vicious, dewclawed hairlip in the 1" bulletproof cubicle finds your score adequate your "Class C" license is re-issued as a "Class CM1" (standard driver's license + motorcycle) recieved in the mail in 7-865 business days. In the interim, you are issued innumerable sheafs of stapled paper containing any manner of: official seals/arcane coded printouts/illegible statespeak reciept-of-payment/various other high-res documentation on offical letterhead which can be used later in forging other important paperwork for your gardener's wife.

This is in California, I do not know how it works in more friendly states - I imagine you may add "M1" status to your concealed carry permit with minimal hassle.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

This is in California, I do not know how it works in more friendly states - I imagine you may add "M1" status to your concealed carry permit with minimal hassle.

Well yeah, but that's for machine guns, not motorcycles.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

You schedule an appointment online with your local Department of Motor Vehicles. The day of your appointment, you go down and stand in a line full of excited teenagers and bleary-eyed adults who wish only to die. When your number is called you step forward to the Proper Window with your ID, birth certificate, paystub and relevant utility bills. When these are all scanned in triplicate and passed through the Great Computer, you are allowed to proceed to the Reservation Line for delousing, photo-taking and fingerprinting. Once this has been done you proceed to another room to take the M1/motorcycle test (written test only if you have your MSF skills waiver, otherwise written + skills). There will be a token fat security guard who might wander over and make it obvious he is observing your cheating methods.

If the vicious, dewclawed hairlip in the 1" bulletproof cubicle finds your score adequate your "Class C" license is re-issued as a "Class CM1" (standard driver's license + motorcycle) recieved in the mail in 7-865 business days. In the interim, you are issued innumerable sheafs of stapled paper containing any manner of: official seals/arcane coded printouts/illegible statespeak reciept-of-payment/various other high-res documentation on offical letterhead which can be used later in forging other important paperwork for your gardener's wife.

LOL California = Europe jr.

Here in the great Commonwealth of Kentucky you just walk into a little office and say "I wanna take my temps test." They give you a 20 question multiple choice test which is a joke, then you take an eye test using a machine from 1960. Upon passing you have your temps! Only restrictions are no passengers and no riding at night. Helmet if you're under 21. That's it. You leave the DMV, hop on your Hayabusa, and wheelie off into the sunset.

Freedom.
:911:

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

nsaP posted:

LOL California = Europe jr.

Here in the great Commonwealth of Kentucky you just walk into a little office and say "I wanna take my temps test." They give you a 20 question multiple choice test which is a joke, then you take an eye test using a machine from 1960. Upon passing you have your temps! Only restrictions are no passengers and no riding at night. Helmet if you're under 21. That's it. You leave the DMV, hop on your Hayabusa, and wheelie off into the sunset.

Freedom.
:911:

That's how it's done here in California too if you just want your temporary motorcycle license. The only difference is helmets are required here.

Edit: Ugh, you were joking.
Stupid me.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Fascists.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

That's how it's done here in California too if you just want your temporary motorcycle license. The only difference is helmets are required here.

Or you walk into the dmv after taking the msf, and say "license please" answer the stupid multiple choice questionnaire, get said stack of significant paperwork, then ride your shiny new bmw back to Beverly Hills to go finish up the workday cleaning teeth.

This is how it works in Los Angeles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

NZ:

You pass your basic handling skills test, which is a straight-up test, not a lesson or anything. You have to organise it yourself and you usually pay around $100 for the privilege. More than two errors and you fail. You take your pass cert to the DMV and they make you pay $140 to book a 40 question theory test; 3 wrong answers and you fail.

After that you get 12 joyous months of riding around on any LAMS-approved bike (it used to be maximum limit 250cc!) with big yellow a L-plate affixed, no riding between 10pm and 6am, no passengers. They are bikes with less than a certain power-weight and less than 660cc; the sv650 qualifies because of a clerical technicality so it's the fastest straight-line bike you can own by a decent margin.

Then you can sit your restricted test, in which a fat guy in a hatchback follows you as you ride around for 45 minutes and tells you where to go via a terrible radio earpiece thing. Then you get 12 months on your restricted, which is exactly like a learners without the L plates or time restrictions. Still has to be a LAMS bike, still no passengers.

THEN you can go for your full, which is another test where you get followed but slightly more stringent, and you can ride whatever you want. Most people just take the risk and ride whatever until it comes for their full test, when they rent/buy a cheap small bike. It's actually harder than getting your car license as you can get a car learner's without any practical test at all, it's theory only.

Oh and registering a 600cc+ bike for a year? $521.21. All because we don't have mandatory ownership insurance so ACC (state accident insurance) has to pay whenever a middle-aged man wobbles his fireblade into a ditch.

iqarus
Mar 31, 2008
Australia :

take 5 question multiple choice written test at main roads consisting of questions like "do you have to wear a helmet?" and "do motorcycles have to follow the same road rules as other road vehicles?".

get your RE L license, go straight to Q-ride (privatised riding course) 1 day (6 hour) course, do laps of a carpark weaving between cones and emergency stopping.

get RE O license, no passengers and BAC 0.00 for 12 months. allowed to ride LAMS approved bikes = certain power to weight and less than 660c.

do Q-ride course again, same thing on a bigger bike. can ride anything, no passengers BAC 0.00 for 12 months.

THEN, you have a fully open unrestricted license, pillion all day while suckin stubbies. :smuggo:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

iqarus posted:

Australia :

take 5 question multiple choice written test at main roads consisting of questions like "do you have to wear a helmet?" and "do motorcycles have to follow the same road rules as other road vehicles?".

get your RE L license, go straight to Q-ride (privatised riding course) 1 day (6 hour) course, do laps of a carpark weaving between cones and emergency stopping.

get RE O license, no passengers and BAC 0.00 for 12 months. allowed to ride LAMS approved bikes = certain power to weight and less than 660c.

do Q-ride course again, same thing on a bigger bike. can ride anything, no passengers BAC 0.00 for 12 months.

THEN, you have a fully open unrestricted license, pillion all day while suckin stubbies. :smuggo:

In NZ it's three woodstocks and jump on my brother's CRF250 it goes hard as bro! Forever. If you're a dumbass.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

PA: Ride for decades without ever getting a license because you're a Layer Dan and won't be restricted by laws, man

For real though the permit test is 20 questions, all of which are picked directly from the back of the PAMSP handbook. The test costs $10 and I think all that's required is your current driver's license? The MSF is free for permit holders. Taking the MSF counts as the skills test and you're given your license on the spot. I don't know how it works otherwise.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Here in Oregon:

BRC (it's run by an organization called Team Oregon, but they use the MSF curriculum and videos, but with a slightly harder riding test) is mandatory now, you can no longer get a motorcycle endorsement from the DMV without taking the BRC. You go do your two day class, which includes written and riding test, go to the DMV, hand them your certificate and pay the fee for the endorsement, boom, you can now ride bikes legally. Learners permits can still be had by going to the DMV and taking a written test, but in addition to no nighttime riding and no passengers, they require you to ride in the presence of another rider who is over 21 and has his full endorsement. Considering how easy the BRC course is, there's not really any reason to bother with a learner's permit.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

spixxor posted:

I have a 1999 Shadow 1100. It's heavy, learn the proper way to pick it up if it falls over. I fell over making a turn at about 2 mph in a parking lot. No damage, but I had to have someone help me pick it up. It was embarrassing. Other than that it's a Honda, so be ready to replace the stator and/or regulator/rectifier when (not if) it dies. It rides very smoothly and is comfortable when I'm making the 3 hour trip to visit my parents. I think I need to replace the brake pads on mine. I get around 45 mpg in stop and go traffic.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
London: Get through that bike chain in under 90 seconds or the owner might realize his wheels being nicked all chavvy like, mate

Displacement unrestricted but scooters favored

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
When I got my license in Las Vegas it was basically;

- Take MSF. Pass.

- Walk into DMV, show them my shiny little "you pass!" card.

- leave DMV with full, unlimited license and ride away on my brand-new supersport used chinese scooter.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Being an old fart was definitely in my favour - I had to do my CBT (one day riding round cones with an hour out on the road) then the Direct Access - 3 days (well 4, because I had to redo my CBT after two years, which was fun on my RS125) out on the road and a 40 minute test (where I smashed the speed limit at one point but gave convincing bullshit and got a nod and a wink from the examiner).

Of course the old test was even better - as the examiner stood at the side of the road, you rode around the block then did an emergency stop and a u-turn, job done.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012
What do you guys think about this bike? http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/3731871257.html
I've never ridden before but plan on taking an MSF course. I really love the style of cafe racers and this bike caught my eye and is in my price range.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

What do you guys think about this bike? http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/3731871257.html
I've never ridden before but plan on taking an MSF course. I really love the style of cafe racers and this bike caught my eye and is in my price range.
Does your state have vehicle safety inspections? Cause that bike wouldn't pass in my state. It's been messed with. If it is viable transportation legally speaking, I'd be careful in checking out how functional it is before getting it. It's an old bike and very often people who "customize" bikes like that do a poor job.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

1982 with 9Kmiles on it? Seems suspicious.

No pictures of the right side of the bike? Seems suspicious.

No place to mount a license plate? You see what I'm saying.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Japan:

1) 100-question T/F written test (thankfully an English version exists). Need a 90/100 to pass. Questions range from hilariously obvious ("You should remove the exhaust of your vehicle in order to increase its power.") to fiendishly technical ("When towing a vehicle, you must place a yellow flag of no less than 30x30cm on the tow rope" [False, it's supposed to be white]). ~$40

2) Strictly evaluated practical test. Includes riding across a balance beam slowly, a timed slalom, inclined start, emergency stop, crank course/S-curve, and lots of arcane procedural stuff that nobody actually does IRL. ~$50/attempt, although the testing center is pretty inconveniently located so with transportation costs it was more like $100/go for me. Sample map I got from a driving school about halfway through the process (was instrumental to me passing):

3) Sign up for a safety training class at a driving school. Costs ~$150. Watch some videos (in my case, one was even on :catdrugs: laser disc :catdrugs:), answer some basic questions about them, ride on a simulator, do some stuff with the instructor on the range that's not tested for (sharp U-turns, tight figure-8's, etc). Not really something that can be failed.

4) Take voucher to driving center and collect license. Aside from maybe #3, all of these can only be handled on workdays, during normal work hours. My employer is particular dickish about me taking time off, so between that and having to take the practical 8 times* it took me like 8 months and probably $1000+ to get it done from start to finish, as opposed to $250 and a weekend MSF course in Florida. No passengers the first year on normal roads, no passengers on the expressway the first 3 years (I'll be gone by then anyways). I only did the up-to-400cc license... I'd love to own an Africa Twin, but given the hilariously low speed limits here, I'm really pushing the dong envelope enough already on a 250cc dualsport.

*Aside from the written test, all of it was 100% in Japanese, which was the most challenging thing about it for me. Not a lot of English info out there on the internet either, what I could find only concerned itself with converting a foreign license, not doing a Japanese one from scratch.

rokk
Jul 22, 2012
Hey all,
New rider, post MSF course and licensing checking in. Found a 1980 Honda CR400T with about 7000 miles on it for $800. Looked it over today and it seems to be in fairly good condition. It started right up on a cold, windy day and revved smoothly with no hesitation. Read through the checklist at http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html and did all the visual checks- further testing will be done tomorrow during a test ride. I'll hopefully have a more mechanically minded friend with me that can give it a better look over and see if I missed anything. Things that need to be done on it are new tires, new right rear turn signal bulb, and new chain. Anything with this particular model that needs to be looked at closely? Would it be a good first motorcycle?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Thatd be a great first bike...no model specific issues afaik. Just the usual old bike stuff.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

"Tell me what bike to rent!"

I'm thinking of renting a bike for some two-up with my girlfriend this weekend. There's an Eaglerider rental place near here. We were hoping to get something comfortable, and ideally something where she wouldn't have to have her arms wrapped around me the whole time (the last time we rode two-up, that gave her arm cramps, and that was less than an hour in-saddle). That limits me to Goldwing, Victory Vision, and BMW K1200 (just flipping through and looking at bikes with pillion backrests).

Any preferences there? Anything else? Any suggestions for a pillion rider who gets arm cramps?

(It's going to be hilarious, going from supermoto to Hondapotamus)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
You might be able to get away with a smaller bike if it has pillion grab handles or at least a strap.

Between the bigger bikes I'd pick the BMW just for maximum variety - familiarize yourself with the switchgear before taking off.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

"Tell me what bike to rent!"
Any preferences there? Anything else? Any suggestions for a pillion rider who gets arm cramps?

I'd go for renting the Vision, it's really unique and I hear it's a fantastic ride, but I'd probably never buy one myself.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd take the K bike for sure.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I called 'em up, and everything but a Goldwing was already spoken for. Guess it's time to embrace my inner 63-year-old!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I was going to say, get the Goldwing. gently caress the rest, time to find out why they are such loving awesome beasts.
I've never ridden one, but I've spoken to lifetime riders who've given one a go as a laugh and come to the sudden realization that, holy poo poo, this thing is actually really loving fantastic.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

I figure all the old people ride them for a reason. They're old, and a bunch probably have more years riding than I've been alive, they wouldn't ride lovely bikes.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Safety Dance posted:

I called 'em up, and everything but a Goldwing was already spoken for. Guess it's time to embrace my inner 63-year-old!

Can't go wrong with that. Enjoy the mountain of torque.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm just browsing the Honda.com site and checking out that stripper Goldwing they sell in the US and I'm thinking, goddamn, time to embrace my inner 45 year old. Maybe in 10 years I'll actually be able to afford one!

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

americanzero4128 posted:

I have a 1999 Shadow 1100. It's heavy, learn the proper way to pick it up if it falls over. I fell over making a turn at about 2 mph in a parking lot. No damage, but I had to have someone help me pick it up. It was embarrassing. Other than that it's a Honda, so be ready to replace the stator and/or regulator/rectifier when (not if) it dies. It rides very smoothly and is comfortable when I'm making the 3 hour trip to visit my parents. I think I need to replace the brake pads on mine. I get around 45 mpg in stop and go traffic.

Haha, my buddy actually just replaced the stator a few weeks ago (and the brake pads, actually). I've seen videos on the proper way to pick up a downed bike but I guess I need to find someone willing to let me practice on their bike, though I'm not sure how any of my friends would react to "Hey can you sit your bike down so I can try to pick it up?"

Nerobro posted:

Well I know it's not a RULE per say, but have you really not seen people recommend Rebels and Ninja 250s to newbies left and right?

Fully prepared to drop it! That's why I'm buying a bit of a beater rather than new as my first bike. I'm not overly worried about keeping it nice and shiny, just want to learn and gain some confidence and experience before I worry about getting a bike I worry about keeping nice.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Most people wouldn't suggest a Rebel because they're so goddamn poo poo anywhere but a parking lot populated by sweating newbies in borrowed helmets. At least a Ninja 250 can manage highways speeds. Sure the Ninja is the go to starter bike but that's because it's the cheapest highway-capable bike you can get. It also maintains its value very well just because it is that bike beginners get and then flip a few months later after they've learned the basics on it. People always act like that's a bad thing, like "Oh you'll sell it in three months once you get bored with it" like you're losing out on a few months of making terrible and costly mistakes on a nice bike. You get a Ninja it's like you're practically borrowing it, I bought mine in winter, rode it, crashed it, fixed it, and sold it in the beginning of summer for enough money to pay for the repairs and have almost as much as I had spent on it in the first place to put down as a deposit on a bike I really wanted.

That's the main value of the EX250, in my mind. Also I know there are goons who buy and sell bikes as quick as they get 'em, because if you have the money to buy used and aren't a total retard you can pretty much go wild with sampling every bike you could ever desire. So don't buy your first bike with the idea that it'll be your end-all-be-all, your tastes will likely change or develop as you ride more.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Well said, Covert Wizard. I have this weird thing where I think I must keep vehicles several years before getting rid of them, but my Ninja 250 changed that. It was super easy to sell and I got almost the same I paid for it (even after putting over 8,000 miles on top of the 650 it had when I bought it). That being said, the second I get a garage, I am going to run wild with the sampling!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Well said, Covert Wizard. I have this weird thing where I think I must keep vehicles several years before getting rid of them, but my Ninja 250 changed that. It was super easy to sell and I got almost the same I paid for it (even after putting over 8,000 miles on top of the 650 it had when I bought it). That being said, the second I get a garage, I am going to run wild with the sampling!

I can't seem to keep a bike for more than a year. I either kill them or get bored and sell them. To be fair though, I do around 20k on them before they get sold.

It's been really easy to sell or trade all of them so far. I traded the R1 for my ranger and I've kept it about 4 years now, I wouldn't mind a bigger/nicer truck though.