Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!

Cervixalot posted:

I must have seen you guys! I passed the line on my way to grab dinner at the Orbit Room with a friend, and chatted briefly with whoever was at the front to see what the line was for. Sounds like it was a great time!

We need to get a Chi Beer Goons bottle share or beer event in the works at some point.

I'd be in after my baby is born, ostensibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Cervixalot posted:

I must have seen you guys! I passed the line on my way to grab dinner at the Orbit Room with a friend, and chatted briefly with whoever was at the front to see what the line was for. Sounds like it was a great time!

We need to get a Chi Beer Goons bottle share or beer event in the works at some point.

If you saw a dude with Weird Al type hair, that was me. And I would also be in for a goon bottle share for sure.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Count me in on the bottle share!

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Is Beer Advocate magazine worth getting? It's $9.99/year for print and $3.49/year for digital right now.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

dphi posted:

Is Beer Advocate magazine worth getting? It's $9.99/year for print and $3.49/year for digital right now.

I don't think they've released any issues but I'm in for the paper magazine. It's only :10bux: so Ill take a shot in the dark at it.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

LeafHouse posted:

I don't think they've released any issues but I'm in for the paper magazine. It's only :10bux: so Ill take a shot in the dark at it.

I felt the same way. I have no idea what it's like but for $10 I figured I'd go for it. Less than a dollar an issue is cheap as hell for any magazine.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I like to drink beer and I live in Chicago. I'm in.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Smart call by JK going to 500ml size for the next release so that there's more of it. I'll still try on draft first before getting a bottle though.
http://jesterkingbrewery.com/introducing-jester-king-atrial-rubicite

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I had a sub before my soul was filled with BA Bro hatred. I didn't find it to be very worthwhile. The reviews are the same "Bros Reviews" from the site, the style spotlight is hit/miss, and the articles are kinda sub-par compared to homebrew magazines.

Garregus
Aug 10, 2002
Has anyone had Lagunitas' SoCo sour imperial stout? Is it as awesome as it sounds?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Garregus posted:

Has anyone had Lagunitas' SoCo sour imperial stout? Is it as awesome as it sounds?

I had a sip of a friend's and it was super tasty. It's draft only, right?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Found GI Lolita, Madame Rose, Juliet and Big John at a random store. I haven't had any of these beers but have been given the impression that they're worth buying? Also I saw some BCBS but am unsure about the usual going price.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Furious Lobster posted:

Found GI Lolita, Madame Rose, Juliet and Big John at a random store. I haven't had any of these beers but have been given the impression that they're worth buying? Also I saw some BCBS but am unsure about the usual going price.

If you've never heard of em I'd say grab them. I love the first three and Big John is good.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Furious Lobster posted:

the first three, yes, definitely, assuming you enjoy wild/sour stuff. the bottle of Big John i had was loving terrible- soy sauce for days- so maybe skip that. here in VA BCBS was usually between $22-25 per four-pack, which is think is a pretty normal range.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Eejit posted:

Forget the barrels, I just want quinoa whiskey. What would that even taste like I wonder...

e: http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Corsair_Quinoa_Whiskey_49303.html $50 for a 750ml.

http://www.corsairartisan.com/quinoa_whiskey.html

God I am so curious now.

Their stuff is great, one of my favorite gins and the triple smoke whiskey is fantastic.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
One of the owners of the place I work apparently helped blend Stone Mixtape Volume 5. It sounds phenomenal, can't wait to try it tomorrow.

Here's some info about it, if anyone is interested in reading.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Furious Lobster posted:

Juliet is the best of the sour sisters, but they're all worth drinking. I've got a Big John I haven't opened yet, but I've heard good things.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

Juliet is the best of the sour sisters, but they're all worth drinking. I've got a Big John I haven't opened yet, but I've heard good things.

I like Big John, though it pushes the boundary of too-sweet-to-finish-a-bottle-by-yourself. It's the same base-beer as BCBS. And I've certainly never had the soy sauce issue so... bad storage?

All the 3 Sisters are good (I prefer Madame Rose), but the price point makes me shy away a lot because I don't necessarily think they're $20 good.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

danbanana posted:

All the 3 Sisters are good (I prefer Madame Rose), but the price point makes me shy away a lot because I don't necessarily think they're $20 good.

I'm lucky enough to get Goose Island sours for $16, which is a steal, but I'm curious - what fruited sours are you finding for less than $20 a bomber locally?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I'm lucky enough to get Goose Island sours for $16, which is a steal, but I'm curious - what fruited sours are you finding for less than $20 a bomber locally?

Not many, if at all. My point was that I'd willingly pay that for- say- Upland's offerings but GI's are borderline.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

danbanana posted:

I like Big John, though it pushes the boundary of too-sweet-to-finish-a-bottle-by-yourself. It's the same base-beer as BCBS. And I've certainly never had the soy sauce issue so... bad storage?

seems that a lot of people had that experience with whatever batch came out back in the fall. i've had ridiculously sweet stouts- BT, Mexican Cake, Southern Tier stuff- but this was a decidedly unpleasant, non-beer flavor.

VVV drat. i passed on the last four-pack i saw because it was $28.99 (and the woman running the store was rude and weird)

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 22, 2013

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

funkybottoms posted:

the first three, yes, definitely, assuming you enjoy wild/sour stuff. the bottle of Big John i had was loving terrible- soy sauce for days- so maybe skip that. here in VA BCBS was usually between $22-25 per four-pack, which is think is a pretty normal range.

Whoa, I was seeing $10 for a 12 oz of BCBS in NJ, if I recall correctly...

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

danbanana posted:

Not many, if at all. My point was that I'd willingly pay that for- say- Upland's offerings but GI's are borderline.

Ah okay, I completely agree. Fruited sours seem to be so few and far between, I often find myself picking up a GI sour just because it's my only option.

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
I liked Big John, but like others have said, make sure you have somebody to share it with. It was way too sweet for me to drink a lot of.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

danbanana posted:

And I've certainly never had the soy sauce issue so... bad storage?

Maybe this was talked about in the past, but what causes this in stouts? I know you mentioned bad storage, but what exactly is producing the flavor? I experienced it with Imperial Biscotti Break the first and only time I had it and it was really disappointing.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

dphi posted:

Maybe this was talked about in the past, but what causes this in stouts? I know you mentioned bad storage, but what exactly is producing the flavor? I experienced it with Imperial Biscotti Break the first and only time I had it and it was really disappointing.

All I've read is speculation that it's an interplay between oxidation and dark malts. Storing a beer warm will dramatically accelerate any staling reactions.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

I've also heard autolysis can cause it.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

crazyfish posted:

I've also heard autolysis can cause it.

I saw that, but it just seems so unlikely to me that autolysis would be present in a commercial beer. It's a non-issue even in homebrew. Maybe if it's bottle conditioned, really, really old and stored at 90 degrees most of its life.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

So, about that delicious Brandy Barrel Aged Hunahpu's.

If I were to spend my morning/afternoon in the tasting room like some sort of beer-crazed hermit tomorrow, could there be a chance I get any? :v:

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Turned 21 yesterday, my brother got me a Victory variety pack. A safe buy for sure but I love every victory beer so I can't complain whatsoever. Tonight was the first time I actually had Prima Pils though - odd because its one of the more common Victory beers. I like it! As soon as you sip it it seems more bog standard, hoppy business but I really like the aftertaste and the finish. (edit: As it warms up it's less of an assault and more forthright. I dig it) Now that I'm actually 21 I'm gonna buy me a growler and raid the local craft beer establishments soon.

I also had Headwaters Pale Ale on draft last night, first draft beer ever and I was taken aback by how different it was - so much more subtle and it really brings out more of the character rather than HOPHOPHOHP. I love it on draft but think it's merely alright in bottle. Now I can't WAIT to try all of my other favorites on draft - something tells me that I'd like all of the DFH offerings better on draft. Local bar has a sixtel of Bitches Brew and Namaste to be tapped soon so I'm super excited since I could never find Namaste around here and I love wits.

My taste is still underdeveloped though - I read these BA reviews and I'm like "oh, grapefruit..?"

Cromlech fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 23, 2013

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003

Cromlech posted:

My taste is still underdeveloped though - I read these BA reviews and I'm like "oh, grapefruit..?"

Happy Birthday.

I've been drinking beer for 13 years, and BA reviews still sound stupid to me. Some of them really make sense, but more often than not, you get people talking about flavors you've never heard of.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

I've had to miss pretty much everything I wanted to go to during Chicago Craft Beer Week because of a poorly-timed case of gastroenteritis. :sigh:

I'm totally up for a Chicagoon bottle share, though.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
The Saucer is doing a massive New Belgium takeover tomorrow night, with 20 different NB beers on tap:

Most of them I've had before or have at least seen recently, but I can't say that I've heard of either the Paardebloem or Plout. Untappd's entry for Paardebloem says it's an herbed/spiced fruit beer (which sounds interesting), and doesn't even have Plout listed. Anyone had either of those and can chime in on if they're good? If neither of them is worth trying I'll probably just stick to the Coffee Chocolate Stout and the '12 La Folie, maybe the Heavenly Feijoa if I'm feeling spendy.

Also for shits and giggles, this is the bike rack the Saucer just had installed outside the bar: http://i.imgur.com/fM3RAan.jpg

vv oh, they just can't spell then. Not surprised, really.

Valencia fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 23, 2013

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Valencia posted:

The Saucer is doing a massive New Belgium takeover tomorrow night, with 20 different NB beers on tap:

Most of them I've had before or have at least seen recently, but I can't say that I've heard of either the Paardebloem or Plout. Untappd's entry for Paardebloem says it's an herbed/spiced fruit beer (which sounds interesting), and doesn't even have Plout listed. Anyone had either of those and can chime in on if they're good? If neither of them is worth trying I'll probably just stick to the Coffee Chocolate Stout and the '12 La Folie, maybe the Heavenly Feijoa if I'm feeling spendy.

Also for shits and giggles, this is the bike rack the Saucer just had installed outside the bar: http://i.imgur.com/fM3RAan.jpg

They're the newest Lips of Faith releases:

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down

Cervixalot posted:

I just started the process to buy a house in westchester with a ridiculous basement bar, I'm stoked to move out of tiny apartments and into my own space. That being said, I'm planning on setting up a monthly-esque bottle share, I'd love to set something up with Chicago area beer goons.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Valencia posted:

vv oh, they just can't spell then. Not surprised, really.

Paardebloem is their Dandelion greens beer! It's surprisingly good but with a very unusual bitterness. I don't know how to really put it, but the "greens" taste came through as an undertone that added a very nice brightness to the beer. It's at least worth a taster, definitely something unusual for the palate.

I'm curious about the Pluot. I happen to like pluots quite a bit, I'll definitely keep an eye out for it at my local.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

They did some neat experiments that simulated palate fatigue. By overexposing your sense of smell to a particular scent (in this case vanilla), and then sipping a beer brewed with vanilla, all of the mild vanilla notes went away in the drink, to the point where it was completely undetectable.

If you want to experience similar, have a fire in your yard and then open a smoked beer. I've done that twice now and will never do it again.

funkybottoms posted:

I got soy in Big John too, but not as much as in Night Stalker. gently caress that beer was a soy bomb.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Midorka posted:

If you want to experience similar, have a fire in your yard and then open a smoked beer. I've done that twice now and will never do it again.

Or huff paint thinner and drink DFH 120 Minute IPA. :v:

Cervixalot posted:

So Untappd is really great for tasting notes, rating beers, meeting new people and discovering new brews. Are there any good apps for keeping track of what you have in your cellar- some sort of Beer Inventory?

It's really disappointing that Cellar Tracker never fully embraced beer. They had a beer category at one time, but never implemented sub-categories (like IPA, Saison, etc.). It's pretty much the de facto wine tracking/cellaring application and it doesn't seem like it would take much work to add a beer section to the site.

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Ah okay, I completely agree. Fruited sours seem to be so few and far between, I often find myself picking up a GI sour just because it's my only option.

I would say that a majority of the sours on the west coast are fruit sours. I didn't realize they were rare for the rest of the country.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Midorka posted:

I got soy in Big John too, but not as much as in Night Stalker. gently caress that beer was a soy bomb.

Ha, figures I just got both of those in a trade too; still optimistically looking forward to drinking them though. It's crazy how many beers GI puts out and we get like 5 of them in Oregon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Just saw on Beervana that both 10 Barrel and Boneyard sold more beer in OR in the 1st quarter than Rogue, thanks for supporting central Oregon's economy :tipshat: