Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho

Scyron posted:

I managed to do a 2033 RHC with the shambler + bayonet over the autoshotty since it felt right.

So far my RHC run for M:LL has been pretty smooth, only to the prison escape with pavel but this seems really doable, given how much stealth I am abusing and doing no kills when possible, even when I can probably get away with it.
Just make sure you have enough ammo going into the mutant sections and RHC is much easier than it was in 2033.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

The part before you get on the fisherman's boat was awful.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I just noticed that Metro 2033 (the book) is available for free under the DLC section on Steam on Metro: Last Light's page. This is after I bought the book a few days ago... Ah well, more money for Dmitry (maybe), I guess.

E: It seems to be better edited than the English Kindle version. I might put this on my Kindle instead.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

PureRok posted:

E: It seems to be better edited than the English Kindle version. I might put this on my Kindle instead.
What? Seriously? The awful editing in the original release was one of the few things I could criticize about it. It'd be nice to see an updated version.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Feeble posted:

What? Seriously? The awful editing in the original release was one of the few things I could criticize about it. It'd be nice to see an updated version.

Yep, here's a comparison of the two on the first page:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
There was a lot of talk about quad barreled shotguns but I'm in Quarantine and have yet to find anything of that kind, or NVG's. Are they both very late game items or did I walk past them? I explored most places except for the Swamp because gently caress those respawning rear end in a top hat crabs.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

You can buy the quad barrel upgrade for the Duplet at a vendor, or find them in a few spots (I don't know where).

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
DLC officially detailed:

Deep Silver Community Manager posted:

"Artyom’s story may have been concluded in Metro: Last Light, but there are other characters with stories to tell, some familiar locations that fans of the Metro series wanted to revisit, and some new challenges that 4A wanted to explore," said Andrew Prokhorov, Creative Director at 4A Games. "Since completing the game we have been working on these new stories and hope to release them throughout the summer."

That means that while they had some ideas early this year, this is all content that is being created as we speak, and content that will be created over the next couple of weeks and months.

The Season Pass will be $14.99 / £11.99 / €14.99 or 1200 MS Points.

Included are 4 individual DLCs:

The "Faction Pack" and the "Chronicles Pack," which both focus on new and original single-player gameplay and stories that expand upon the Metro: Last Light universe.

The "Tower Pack" which is something different that focuses on challenge and pure gameplay for Metro veterans.

The "Developer Pack" which is not an SDK, but which will give players a unique environment and tools to play around with.

The Season Pass gives you the DLC Packs in one package, at a discount compared to buying them individually, and also includes the Absats weapon for use right away. The Season Pass will also be available throughout, so there is no deadline for getting everything at a discount; if you want to wait and see what the individual DLCs are first, you can always get it later.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

PureRok posted:

Well they still have every instance of "assault rifle" translated as " machine gun." That annoys my inner pedantic gun nut >:(
Other than that I don't really see much difference. Did they alter the translation noticeably?
Huh, that's the first time I've heard of a company offering the complete DLC pack at a discount even after they've all come out. That's nice of them.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

(Endgame spoilers) So, uhh, how did the Dark Ones get into D6? It always seemed kinda weird how they just stared at the missiles during the first vision, so perhaps they teleported or something?.

Also, what's the deal with Artyom as a kid and the Dark One saving him from mutants? I thought he just opened the door to VDNKh and ran away after hearing a noise but apparently there's more to it

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

KaneTW posted:

Also, what's the deal with Artyom as a kid and the Dark One saving him from mutants? I thought he just opened the door to VDNKh and ran away after hearing a noise but apparently there's more to it
My take on this was that this memory was suppressed somehow, and the infant dark one brought it back.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Yeah, that's my theory too.

I take it Khan appeared at the beginning of the game using the River of Fate, considering the "how did you get here" and all

I'm kinda hoping the sequel will use the good ending as basis because it was already really depressing having to deal with 2033's bad ending being canon. Then again, it makes you want to redeem yourself in Last Light.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

KaneTW posted:

(Endgame spoilers) So, uhh, how did the Dark Ones get into D6? It always seemed kinda weird how they just stared at the missiles during the first vision, so perhaps they teleported or something?.
Great big end game spoilers below:
I always figured it was just that since they could move on the surface completely unmolested the original group at the botanical gardens split into two with the others heading out and eventually finding an above ground entrance to D6, settling into hibernation or something like it behind some huge gently caress-off door inside. Then some time later (no idea how long, months, maybe a few years?) Artyom and the Order go in there for the first time, kill off the biomass and then launch missiles at the original botanical garden group. After that the Order moved into D6 completely, fortifying it and beginning to explore it's chambers. I think there's a few lines of dialogue you hear in D6 in the beginning where two soldiers are talking about how they found huge radiation or chemical weapon leaks behind some of the doors, something like that. That would help explain why they never found the Dark One's hiding space, they were erring on the side of caution and taking the D6 exploration much more slowly or possibly even stopping it entirely for the time being. Maybe the Dark Ones slept through all of the Order's actions or maybe they could sense on some level that if they were to wake up and move out they'd be slaughtered by the hostile Order or at the very least take huge loses before they could start to communicate.

Then, either the child Dark One's arrival at their hibernation place, or the fact that the Red Line's incursion was thinning out the order, making them desperate and occupying their attention (the order's), meant that the Dark Ones could wake up, move out and save the day without being slaughtered en masse.

This would help to explain why the Garden Dark one's just stood there. As a species they seem to be very big on acting for the Greater Good. Perhaps they figured that since they had a second population hidden away somewhere safe letting themselves be wiped out would be better since if they escaped and were spotted it would probably lead the the Order going out of their way to hunt them down, possibly even to such an extent that they would look under their own noses and find the one's hidden away in D6. If the Order thinks they all died at the Gardens then "hey, no reason to look for more of them right? Now hand me that Borscht, Ulman."

I think some of the Child Dark one's dialogue concerning the Dark One's in D6 sort of implies that they aren't the same ones from the botanical gardens and he does seem to believe that all the Dark One's there were wiped out
so that gives my theory at least a little bit of credibility but like I said at the start this is all speculation on my part.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 22, 2013

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
So I've just completely given up on this game. I just can't stand the ridiculous amount of non-interactive situations where Artyom gets shoved around like it's a rail shooter. I want to play the game, not watch in unfold while being able to do jack all about anything.

The last straw was in Venice when you hear Artyom described as a badass Ranger who's an amazing shot, then right afterwards he barrels through a closed door like an idiot and gets a revolver shoved in his face by Pavel hiding in the corner.

I have absolutely no military training whatsoever and even I know you don't do that while chasing a target for specifically that goddamn reason.

tl;dr: MY IMMERSION!! :cry:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

E: ^^ I think Artyom always was pretty clumsy.

Yeah, at the beginning you hear soldiers talking about how some doors in D6 are sealed or even seem shut from the inside, and that the radiation there is hot enough to cook an egg.

And I'm pretty sure that the little Dark One woke the hibernating Dark Ones up, since he says so when you get the vision after the Garden level

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

KaneTW posted:

I ended up finishing it on the opposite side, above the bell that you ring, because otherwise I couldn't make it to the boat before dying.

Also: Upgraded Tihar is the best gun.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I wish I had the Saiga with extended mag for that section. Duplet reload time is the worst.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

KaneTW posted:

I wish I had the Saiga with extended mag for that section. Duplet reload time is the worst.

Yeah I had to go short bursts of RPK there, kept getting hit while reloading the duplet. Had found the quad barrel, but the volume there is such that you can't keep up without getting hit.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
The quartet would be a more useful gun if you could fire each barrel individually. As it is, you mostly end up wasting an extra shell each time you fire.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

KaneTW posted:

All of the "press button, defeat incoming mutant horde!!" sections are utterly terrible and really lazy. They're easily my least favorite part of the game.

PureRok posted:

This would be fantastic for my Kindle but I really don't like the way my kindle handles PDFs. I wonder if there's a kindle formatted version somewhere.

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
Spiders. Man-sized spiders.

I'm fine with those small ones scurrying around but not the big ones. My extreme arachnophobia says "nope".

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Feeble posted:

Well they still have every instance of "assault rifle" translated as " machine gun." That annoys my inner pedantic gun nut >:(
Other than that I don't really see much difference. Did they alter the translation noticeably?

The translation seems the same. I was mostly pointing out how they don't have multiple character's dialogue on the same line anymore. Take from the example I posted above:

Kindle Version posted:

'Nope, no one came forward. No response, they just ran off.' 'You idiot!...'

Free PDF Version posted:

'Nope, no one came forward. No response, they just ran off.'
"You idiot!..."

That's most important change for me. It makes reading it a lot smoother, instead of having to slow down to make sure you don't suddenly start someone else's dialogue.

Sankis posted:

This would be fantastic for my Kindle but I really don't like the way my kindle handles PDFs. I wonder if there's a kindle formatted version somewhere.
Same. I was thinking of converting it to Amazon's file type, but when I did it it added the page numbers into lines. I was able to get rid of the Metro2033.com and Dmitry's name (sorry) easily enough to help the formatting. If there was a fast way to strip the page numbers in acrobat I'd just edit the pdf. Then I'd just have to edit the chapter images (they become black blobs when converted).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Leb posted:

The quartet would be a more useful gun if you could fire each barrel individually. As it is, you mostly end up wasting an extra shell each time you fire.

Yeah this is really what I was hoping for when I picked it up, and was very disappointed to discover this was not the case.

Because honestly, what am I going to shoot 4 shells into at the same time?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Esroc posted:

The last straw was in Venice when you hear Artyom described as a badass Ranger who's an amazing shot.[/spoiler]
I always kind of figured Artyom as the kind of Dopey ranger that they let in because he fucks up most of the time but is occasionally
able to stumble into doing badass things.

beyonder posted:

Spiders. Man-sized spiders.

I'm fine with those small ones scurrying around but not the big ones. My extreme arachnophobia says "nope".
I'm kind of the opposite. Those big 'uns, I'll see those fuckers coming from a 200 meters away but those little ones...
*shiver*
Those things are EVERYWHERE in the game. You've got to imagine that people wake up with those things crawling on the ceiling over their bed like 5 or 6 times a month even in the biggest stations.

Dogen posted:

Because honestly, what am I going to shoot 4 shells into at the same time?
COMMUNISTS! :black101:

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 22, 2013

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Feeble posted:

I always kind of figured Artyom as the kind of Dopey ranger that they let in because he fucks up most of the time but is occasionally able to stumble into doing badass things.

You have to remember Artyom was a little child when the bombs fell, which makes him in his early twenties at the absolute oldest, and he's spent almost all of his life living in relatively sheltered safety at a fortified station where the primary economic activity is growing tea. He is literally a random farm kid with no military training whatsoever and very little practical experience, and it's mentioned that they pretty much bypassed all the training new Rangers need to go through and just let him straight into the Order as a reward for finding D6 for them (which some of the Rangers you can overhear are a little resentful about). It's mentioned he is a crack shot and is obviously pretty good at surviving (or really lucky, at least), but he's still basically an inexperienced rookie, so I can sort of live with scenes where he does stupid things and fucks up occasionally.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, Arytom's entire qualification for Rangerhood is "luckiest man alive.", and his survival rate is a mix of that, plus his dislike of getting shot.

He's a crack shot, and apparently either doesn't understand fear, or is really great at moving forward ( Librarians, Spiders ). Other then that? He's technically a worse Ranger then everyone else in the Order. They are all either ex-Spetznaz, ex-KGB, or ex-Military, they've all been fighting each other/mutants ever since the bombs dropped. The idea is that Arytom will one day be a good Ranger, not that's he's on par with them.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
He's also vicious as hell (even on stealth/no kill runs, those knockout blows are brutal) and has the endurance of a horse. The other stuff can come later.

Edit: he's also huge. That part of the endgame when you see him standing up from the back, I couldn't get over how big his hands were.

Samfucius fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 23, 2013

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Found something darkly funny in the section where you have to save the train of refugees from bandits. Where the bandits have two dudes being held hostage, and one of them says something stupid when he should have kept his mouth shut and gets killed almost immediately, if you move fast enough and manage to save the guy, he does something stupid when he should have gone back and gets killed almost immediately - specifically, he decides to charge the bandit camp, on foot, without waiting for backup first, through a heavily irradiated tunnel.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Samfucius posted:

He's also vicious as hell (even on stealth/no kill runs, those knockout blows are brutal) and has the endurance of a horse. The other stuff can come later.

The first time I did the 'Hit E' for nonlethal I stopped and reloaded it to try again because holy poo poo I thought for sure they were dead and I was loving it up somehow.

Alternate thread title could easily be Metro: Last Light - Hyper-Realistic Face Smashing Simulator

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Samfucius posted:

Edit: he's also huge. That part of the endgame when you see him standing up from the back, I couldn't get over how big his hands were.

Yeah, the games are pretty consistent about Artyom. He's tough, strong as hell, a crack shot and he can overpower grown men in hand to hand combat, but he's never particularly good at making correct decisions. Not necessarily dumb, but inexperienced.

Aloofa
Apr 24, 2010
Just finished it. Such an enjoyable experience. I have a question, does ranger mode erase all chapter progress? I would hate to erase all of my brothers progress. gently caress games with only one save file. The Metro games and BioShock Infinite are both guilty of this.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Aloofa posted:

Just finished it. Such an enjoyable experience. I have a question, does ranger mode erase all chapter progress? I would hate to erase all of my brothers progress. gently caress games with only one save file. The Metro games and BioShock Infinite are both guilty of this.

Couldn't you just use different user accounts?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

You can copy the save files over to a backup folder. There're in your documents folder.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Mister Bates posted:

Couldn't you just use different user accounts?

Not if you're on PC.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has anyone noticed a bug in Ranger mode where whenever you load the game you start with 2 medkits, no matter what, and lose one every load after? It's kind of a pain in the rear end.

e: Oh gently caress enemies will try and gas you out if you go in guns blazing, that's amazing.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 23, 2013

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

NovemberMike posted:

Yeah, the games are pretty consistent about Artyom. He's tough, strong as hell, a crack shot and he can overpower grown men in hand to hand combat, but he's never particularly good at making correct decisions. Not necessarily dumb, but inexperienced.

Yeah, unless Last Light takes place long after Metro 2033 then he's also only like 20 so that would make a lot of sense. I do wish he wasn't a silent protagonist in game, though the assumption that he tells people poo poo during level changes, etc is a nice compromise.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I cannot believe that I had to watch that dumb lap dance scene.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

You didn't. It's optional. I saw that room and immediately left because I knew what it'd be.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
I got roped in and with no direct way of knowing how to end it, I just kept pressing "use" in an attempt to be done with it. Never mind the 400 MGR that were burning a hole in my pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I wish there was an alternate ending based solely on accepting the lap dance, where the last scene of the game suddenly cuts unexplained to artyom dying of heart failure while getting a lap dance and the game just loving ends.

• Locked thread