Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rianeva posted:

There are new lesser essences, and a new tier of rep to grind for torvan and lycini (gently caress)

Like... above Glorified? :gonk:

Edit: apparently there's a vial that increases your raid token drops by 100% for 2 hours, for basically 4 bucks. That is disgusting.

Edit 2: Oh god, it is another tier above Glorified and it's 90,000 rep. :suicide:

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Not sure if anybody is still looking to pick it up before the game goes F2P (for whatever bonus you get), but I have a (steam) copy of Storm Legion for sale. Not sure if anybody wants it, so add me on steam if you do and make me an offer!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/teh_sid

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

Like... above Glorified? :gonk:

Edit: apparently there's a vial that increases your raid token drops by 100% for 2 hours, for basically 4 bucks. That is disgusting.

Please say this is only for tier 1 content and below. If this makes a difference in tier 2 content I'm probably going to flip a table.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 22, 2013

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Zoness posted:

Please say this is only for non-progression content. If this makes a difference in tier 2 content I'm probably going to flip a table.

Daglar said they "may" look into making it not apply to current-tier. It's pretty hosed up.

Image linked since it's on someone's photobucket.

Kaglicious
Mar 31, 2011
Requesting an add for my alt mage Kaglicious please. Been playing this again and forgot how much fun it was. Plan to get my main and mage to 60 before f2p hits. How long does it usually take through questing 50-60 (as I read in here IAs slow right down in Storm Legion)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

Daglar said they "may" look into making it not apply to current-tier. It's pretty hosed up.

A thread absolutely exploded around that image and post and honestly there's enough supporters in rift's overall population that this might just go through :ohdear:.

I just don't know why they wanted us to test GA in tier 1 gear if they were going to just sell better gear on release.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Got my Raptr upgrade! Yay! It still says 3000+ left too, so most goons should be able to get it still. :)

Blackluck
Jun 26, 2012

Reasonerr posted:

The only crappy thing/complaint I have is that they destroyed my cleric spec (duracell) that used to be the awesomest "hit-the-i-win-button" thing I'd ever seen in an MMO.
Fortunately though there are still good specs for cleric I found out.
After wading through the horrible mess that is the official guide forums (really, it's disappointingly nigh-impossible to figure out wtf is going on if you're new/returning) I finally dug up this gem and made sense of it:

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gen...oe-monster.html
http://www.rifthead.com/stc/0mosfVx0VMvltVgkfRfuVuRv922

In the small amount of time I've played it so far (50-51, mix of old and SL content, I have no gear worth talking about/nothing special) it is even better than the old duracell.
This one takes about 4 buttons, but you're pretty much as close to invulnerable as it gets.
If you're playing a higher-level cleric and dying or getting bored, give that a shot and see what you think, I'm having a blast!

Also just a side note, if you're leveling a new cleric, that build won't become viable until mid 30s to level 40, the 17 points in cabalist are the most crucial to the build, so if you're deciding where to put your points before level cap, don't skimp on cabalist, fill that one first.

I set up this spec for my lowbie cleric (35). Takes some getting use to, but pretty fun. However it's not very good vs single mobs.

Anyone have a good Inquister + healer spec? Looking for a good cleric spec for warrior/cleric duo that isn't melee (no idea why but I really dislike melee in this game.)

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
So final check before I activate my code, the 30 days of game time is only given out to accounts that do not yet have the base game, y/n?

Kirtan
May 17, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

Dag also said it was the same as the Patron bonuses.

I don't see what the big issue is, I guess. The credit cost for the Torvan/Lycini essences is a bit frustrating, and I hope they remove it, but everything else looks fine. I fully expect things to change before it goes live. The threadnaught on the official forums is hilarious.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Kirtan posted:

I don't see what the big issue is, I guess.

If you want to be competitive in raiding, and that applies to the new tier 2 raid stones, you will basically be expected to have those running at all times.

Given that being a patron has no point stipend, that's basically saying that if you want to raid at the top levels, you basically have to spend (assuming the current hypothetical 160 credits:$1 ratio) $3 every two hours, which is hosed up.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

Mystery Prize posted:

Is ranged faster/easier?

Druid mixed with inquisitor is going to be faster all around, but you will be shooting bolts of judgement as apposed to strikes of judgement.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Sexual attraction in this context is not a part of my programming
Starting this up again with my friend. Amazing game, going to get a tattoo soon with the Defiant logo on.

Kirtan
May 17, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

If you want to be competitive in raiding, and that applies to the new tier 2 raid stones, you will basically be expected to have those running at all times.

Given that being a patron has no point stipend, that's basically saying that if you want to raid at the top levels, you basically have to spend (assuming the current hypothetical 160 credits:$1 ratio) $3 every two hours, which is hosed up.

If you're a "competitive raider" and it's taking you more than 7 hours a week to complete the current content I feel like that's a problem. Also, having that running at all times seems foolish. You know when you're about to beat a boss. Just pop the vial then and be good for an hour.

But then, I'm not a "competitive raider" so maybe that's why it's not bothering me. I can see where someone might be upset because of theoretical fringe cases, but I don't see this as a constant issue.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

The big shitdump in that thread is over token vials, when getting token gear substantially faster is a huge boon. The secondary concern is that supposedly BiS essences and capes are buyable through REX as are apparently reputation boosts? I'll be honest I was really hoping it would go with a Dotes or LoL model of you buy purely cosmetic things like man I would pay dope cash to shoot rainbows in Inquisitor but buying in-game stat items just -feels- bad.

It's worse than that with their PTS testing model: it's already been that after you have the current content on farm if there's anything on PTS a hardcore guild will go and "test" PTS content (read: rehearse the raid in test mode to be ready for live). Now it puts more motivation for PTS raiding so that you'll want to have raids "down pat" from PTS so you can efficiently get things down.

My personal hope is that a lot of that doesn't make it to live and they just don't want to reveal what the real cash shop items are but that's probably wildly optimistic and also not in line with what a lot of other players hope.

Edit: also goddamn I hate reading posts by "top raiders" because 90% of them are so loving condescending.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 22, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Zoness posted:

The big shitdump in that thread is over token vials, when getting token gear substantially faster is a huge boon. The secondary concern is that supposedly BiS essences and capes are buyable through REX as are apparently reputation boosts? I'll be honest I was really hoping it would go with a Dotes or LoL model of you buy purely cosmetic things like man I would pay dope cash to shoot rainbows in Inquisitor but buying in-game stat items just -feels- bad.

It's worse than that with their PTS testing model: it's already been that after you have the current content on farm if there's anything on PTS a hardcore guild will go and "test" PTS content (read: rehearse the raid in test mode to be ready for live). Now it puts more motivation for PTS raiding so that you'll want to have raids "down pat" from PTS so you can efficiently get things down.

My personal hope is that a lot of that doesn't make it to live and they just don't want to reveal what the real cash shop items are but that's probably wildly optimistic and also not in line with what a lot of other players hope.

Edit: also goddamn I hate reading posts by "top raiders" because 90% of them are so loving condescending.

From your posts on that thread I don't think you know what immediately means, most of the gear that would be an upgrade that I saw requires a dumb rep grind, therefore the advantage is decidedly not "immediately available".

Will I be purchasing Barnacles for my alts so I can use my main to load it with precious lessers? Likely.
Will I skip the IS grind to buy those lessers? Most likely not.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

From your posts on that thread I don't think you know what immediately means, most of the gear that would be an upgrade that I saw requires a dumb rep grind, therefore the advantage is decidedly not "immediately available".

Will I be purchasing Barnacles for my alts so I can use my main to load it with precious lessers? Likely.
Will I skip the IS grind to buy those lessers? Most likely not.

There's people who did Qajiri rep overnight as soon as it was possible. It's not immediate but it's pretty close to it (I won't speak for myself because I hate rep grinding).

Dumb rep grinds are a just a sanity barrier.

Also my first post in that thread was a little sensationalist and done really late at night v:shobon:v.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 22, 2013

wrl
Sep 17, 2004
omg<3kittens
With this game going F2P I was looking for something that could potentially sate my bloodlust for PvP. I was very big into PvP in WoW. OG High Warlord, Arena Master, blah blah. Quit because the game became too focused on blasting cooldowns and trying to beat the absurd amount of healing.

Can anyone whose done a whole lot of PvP in Rift sell me on it?

In WoW I really felt that using mobility, mind games, and tricks you could vastly out skill opponents and often take on several at a time if you knew what you were doing. Is this something that is still possible in Rift?

Further, WoW was horribly horribly horribly balanced around healing. Healing was far and away the most overpowered gamebreaking thing about PvP. Is the balance a little better in Rift, or are you still expected to have 1 healer per 3 players?

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".
It's honestly starting to sound like the f2p model is completely p2w. I really, really hope they stay cosmetic with it. I haven't researched the switch much at all, so I'm not sure how in-depth they've already made it so I hope they have the time to rectify this horrible decision.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

It's not pay to win until they offer raid-equivalent gear in the cash shop only. It's not P2W if you have half the dungeon cooldowns of non-subscription users, it's not pay to win if you can purchase some extra PA XP or whatever.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The only thing I don't like is the currency potion, and I'm pretty sure it's not going to make it to live with that form.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Yeah, everything sounds like pay for convenience as opposed to Pay 2 Win. That said, you get question of whether MMO grind lovely by design or because companies want the money.

lsp
Sep 1, 2008

Oh my glob. What the stuff are you doing?
So, the 2.3 up on the PTS has some really amazing stuff going on. The store is most certainly not p2w. The stuff on the store that you can 'buy' that is 'bis' requires the max rep still, all you gain is the ability to pay a few bucks instead of farming IS for 6 (or 12 if you're a tank) lessers. People won't have the best in slot within 5 mins of it going live, short of a bug.

Much of the items on the store are things from normal in game vendors that was put there for ease of access so that players didn't have to run around.

Personally, I have no problem with any of the potions; perhaps because I've only gotten a chance to go 3 and 2 bosses deep in the current tier for reasons out of our control such as raid numbers dipping. If this helps us get more bang for the buck no pun intended, awesome. Hardcore buddies just have to deal with it for now, we'll see if it changes though.

Remember the expert dungeon/raid trinkets we all have and never use because they sucked? Well I'll just leave this screenshots here...There's more trinkets that are upgradable too, just haven't found any screenshots
http://i.imgur.com/dQmjKXM.png
http://i.imgur.com/9uHcCXN.png
http://i.imgur.com/8ybb2pK.png
http://i.imgur.com/fkVMHcz.jpg
http://imgur.com/QG9gyi7
http://imgur.com/XLZ2SDa
http://imgur.com/9qvzRkr

I definitely suggest checking out the PTS though, lots of cool stuff to see everything going on

lsp fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 22, 2013

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

lsp posted:

Remember the expert dungeon trinkets we all have and never use because they sucked? Well I'll just leave this screenshots here...
http://i.imgur.com/dQmjKXM.png
http://i.imgur.com/9uHcCXN.png
http://i.imgur.com/8ybb2pK.png
http://i.imgur.com/fkVMHcz.jpg
http://imgur.com/QG9gyi7
http://imgur.com/XLZ2SDa
http://imgur.com/9qvzRkr

I never won a roll for one :smith:.

And I ran expert empyrean core sooooo many times.

lsp
Sep 1, 2008

Zoness posted:

I never won a roll for one :smith:.

And I ran expert empyrean core sooooo many times.

I remember finally getting one long after I had the freelancer's orb, now I wish I kind of saved it for my healing set since spellpower > critpower for heals piff. Same for that Irradiated Core rod, but that is upgradable now too to near raid quality. All of the expert weapons are :toot:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

How do you access the store on the PTS? I get the new popup with vendors, but is there a consolidated shop?

lsp
Sep 1, 2008

Eltoasto posted:

How do you access the store on the PTS? I get the new popup with vendors, but is there a consolidated shop?

Hit ] and it should pop up where deep's depot used to be

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Put a 20 hour cooldown on the token potion and VOILA, problem solved.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

You guys have your priorities completely backwards, post pics of cosmetic stuff! What kind of hat can I buy?!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Mormon Star Wars posted:

You guys have your priorities completely backwards, post pics of cosmetic stuff! What kind of hat can I buy?!

You say this like they've made hats better than the hats from ID or the crafted mage helmet or the p70 rogue hat.

(Which, I hope they do make more pretty hats because goddamn cleric hats in SL are AWFUL so far, conehat aside). (I'm aware i can wear non-chain but :effort:)

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 22, 2013

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Checking out the store, yeah there are a ton of hats, including a beanie hat with a propeller for you Zoness.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Eltoasto posted:

Checking out the store, yeah there are a ton of hats, including a beanie hat with a propeller for you Zoness.

That is the only hat I have ever wanted.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Zoness posted:

You say this like they've made hats better than the hats from ID or the crafted mage helmet or the p70 rogue hat.

The best hat is the one that covers your entire face except for one eye with a spider web and there's a little spider on top. The bestest hat. :3:

For this Raptr thing, how long must I idle to get the expansion? I'm actually quite happy about the game going F2P soon. The goon guild was full of nice people when I played.
I don't think it was called [Everything is Fine], though...

Edit: The 30 days of playtime is just for new accounts, right? I guess I'll have to wait for next month to play in full, but oh well, free expansion (souls)!
How hard is it to get the little Raptr pet? That thing is adorable.

Demon Theory
Feb 1, 2012
How is the open world PvP in this game? I love to PvP and the battlefronts seem to get old really fast and i'm only lvl 20. I've read on the Rift forums that this game is mostly PvE, is that true?

Northan
Nov 6, 2011

Spear Spear Spear Spear
Spear Spear Spear Spear
Got my Raptr free copy finally, time to uninstall that piece of junk.
But also I'd like to get an invite to the guild if it isn't any trouble. Character name is Hagnk.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Demon Theory posted:

How is the open world PvP in this game? I love to PvP and the battlefronts seem to get old really fast and i'm only lvl 20. I've read on the Rift forums that this game is mostly PvE, is that true?

Yes

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

The goon guild is on a PVE server. There are PVP servers but honestly this game has such a huge reliance on open world stuff, a bad pvp server is going to end up being incredibly frustrating.

Demon Theory
Feb 1, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

The goon guild is on a PVE server. There are PVP servers but honestly this game has such a huge reliance on open world stuff, a bad pvp server is going to end up being incredibly frustrating.

So there is legit open world PvP, even if it is grief oriented?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Demon Theory posted:

So there is legit open world PvP, even if it is grief oriented?

There is a pvp server, have fun participating in any zone event if your side isn't the one with numbers. I have no idea how things are on that server, and will never go to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played since about 3-4 months after launch and I'm trying to get back into it. I have a level 26 Bard but all my points are reset and I don't remember hwo to play the character. How useful are these preset spec suggestions? Can I feasibly level as a healer/support character? I don't really like playing damage focused characters even if it means leveling a bit slower.

Thinking about just deleting this character and recreating it. How long does it take to get to 26 as a clueless newbie?

• Locked thread