Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Josh Lyman posted:

Thanks for the heads up. Forecast is for weak earnings due to the long winter. Puts incoming!

Well sir, I placed calls. Good luck to thee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Arkane posted:

Touched 78 in after hours I think? Didn't get any buy orders in fast enough.

I started selling short in the high 80s, though, have an average position short at 89, which is underwater at the last trade of 91 or whatever. Generally speaking, a secondary is not a good thing because it dilutes the shareholder base. Elon betting on his company is pretty standard (for him at least, not in general). Hoping that the traders tomorrow are a bit more neutral about the move and it hits back to 85ish.

Took a few days of swings, but am finally out of this short in the green, and really hoping Tesla drops even more so I can buy long-term call options.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Smear Campaign posted:

Bought June 20 SCTY puts. IPO Lockup ends on the 10th.

I know that I'm gambling, but the current valuation seems crazy for a company that doesn't seem to have any technical competitive advantage.

Of course, I may get wrecked later this week by any kind of TSLA SCTY supercharger announcement.

Great call on this, and kudos for executing...tried to sell short yesterday around 52.5 but it wasn't available to short. I looked at put options but they were already pricing in a drop.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Is this the right place to ask dumb questions about Employee Stock purchase plans? I just ticked over to a year with Aon (NYSE: AON) and will be eligible to enroll in the ESPP starting June 1.

It looks like it's purchased via after-tax deductions of up to 15% of my paycheck, and stock is purchased at 85% of market price.

Financially, I'm still trying to pay off about $2800 in credit card debt. I can go into more details there if need be, I'm not sure what information is helpful.

Is the ESPP something I should bother with at this point, or should I put that money into the credit cards?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

How long do you have to hold onto it? I mean if at any point you are getting free money, do that. But in general pay off your highest interest debts (usually credit cards) before anything else.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Turkeybone posted:

How long do you have to hold onto it? I mean if at any point you are getting free money, do that. But in general pay off your highest interest debts (usually credit cards) before anything else.

That's the other thing I was trying to find, and I can't find a drat answer. This PDF might as well be in greek. Here's a link that may not work:

https://cache.hewitt.com/ybr/R514/02233_ybr_ybrfndt/downloads/ESPP_Overview.pdf

Looks like the contributions are made during an 'offering period' of 6 months, and afterwards all the shares are purchased. At that point I'm free to do as I wish with them.

There's something here about a holding period of two years though for beneficial tax treatment?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 21, 2013

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Well, without digging too deeply I'm going to say that it'll be better to pay off your debts first. The holding period is referring to capital gains, more or less, but one way or another your gains from stock will be treated as income and will be taxed. So there's little chance of those investments beating the gains from paying down credit card debt.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Deviant posted:

There's something here about a holding period of two years though for beneficial tax treatment?
Maybe it's something like my company where they begin contributing to your profit sharing plan as soon as you're hired but you cannot access the money until you've been employed for two years, after which you're free to do with it as you want.

rizzo1001
Jan 3, 2001

Deviant posted:

Looks like the contributions are made during an 'offering period' of 6 months, and afterwards all the shares are purchased. At that point I'm free to do as I wish with them.

Speaking from experience it not worth the hassle to buy and flip immediately even though you can. If you are comfortable holding for at least a year so as to pay long term gains I'd say go for it.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Deviant posted:

That's the other thing I was trying to find, and I can't find a drat answer. This PDF might as well be in greek. Here's a link that may not work:

This sounds identical to what I have at Cisco, so I'll explain how it works for me.

You allocate a percentage of your post-tax earnings to the ESPP plan, and it it taken out of each of your paychecks and added to a pile.

After 6 months, they take your pile of money and they go out and buy shares of the company stock, at a 15% discount, and then they give them to you.

So if you make $1,000 a week and put away 10%, after 6 months you'll have $2,400 to buy stock with, and you immediately make 15% on stock because of the discount, so you actually get $2,760 worth of stock, and made $360 on your money in 6 months.

You can sell it immediately, or hold onto it for 2 years (did the period for this recently?) to have it taxed as long-term capital gains, but that's less useful these days.

At Cisco they have a thing where the discounted price is 15% of the first day OR last day of the offering period, whichever is lower. So if the stock is $10 on 1/1 and $20 on 7/1, we buy it on 7/1 at 15% off $10, which is a huge swing.

I generally don't like to hang on to stock in the company I work for. Eggs in the same basket and everything.

Your ESPP plan is free money and your employer has factored it in to your overall compensation package.

If you can spare the cash now it will be worth more in 6 months, and is a guaranteed 15%+ gain on your money.

I maxed out my ESPP from day 1 and just pretended I never had that money, and now every six months I get thousands of dollars of CSCO which I sell almost immediately to invest however I want.

It's like a twice a year bonus that you partially fund.

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 21, 2013

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Inverse Icarus posted:

This sounds identical to what I have at Cisco, so I'll explain how it works for me.

You allocate a percentage of your post-tax earnings to the ESPP plan, and it it taken out of each of your paychecks and added to a pile.

After 6 months, they take your pile of money and they go out and buy shares of the company stock, at a 15% discount, and then they give them to you.

So if you make $1,000 a week and put away 10%, after 6 months you'll have $2,400 to buy stock with, and you immediately make 15% on stock because of the discount, so you actually get $2,760 worth of stock, and made $360 on your money in 6 months.

You can sell it immediately, or hold onto it for 2 years (did the period for this recently?) to have it taxed as long-term capital gains, but that's less useful these days.

At Cisco they have a thing where the discounted price is 15% of the first day OR last day of the offering period, whichever is lower. So if the stock is $10 on 1/1 and $20 on 7/1, we buy it on 7/1 at 15% off $10, which is a huge swing.

I generally don't like to hang on to stock in the company I work for. Eggs in the same basket and everything.

Your ESPP plan is free money and your employer has factored it in to your overall compensation package.

If you can spare the cash now it will be worth more in 6 months, and is a guaranteed 15%+ gain on your money.

I maxed out my ESPP from day 1 and just pretended I never had that money, and now every six months I get thousands of dollars of CSCO which I sell almost immediately to invest however I want.

It's like a twice a year bonus that you partially fund.

I think this is identical to what I have, the more I read it. That said, I'll probably have to wait, since I'm using my after-tax to pay down these credit cards in a more immediate sense.

dogpower
Dec 28, 2008
I'm going to step out of stocks now and just invest via passive indexing for now until a market pullback.

I started investing in Feb and my indexes are doing way way better than my stock choices. If it wasn't for my passive indexes I would be in the red.

I am long in AAPL, TCN, and have $500 bucks in NBG. Haven't sold any of my stocks because I'm still confident in them with the exception of NBG which was a gamble.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
It always weirds me out when one of my dividend investments jumps up a bit.

I didn't buy you to sell you like that, MRK. Now your ratio just looks worse to me.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
LA Times describes a mechanical engineer that is starting to 3-D print food. He's already printed chocolate and wants to print a pizza now (with a grant from NASA).

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/dailydish/la-dd-food-printer-world-hunger-pizza-20130521,0,4628674.story

His goal is to sell the technology.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Arkane posted:

LA Times describes a mechanical engineer that is starting to 3-D print food. He's already printed chocolate and wants to print a pizza now.

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/dailydish/la-dd-food-printer-world-hunger-pizza-20130521,0,4628674.story

His goal is to sell the technology.

3D printers have been printing in chocolate for a few years now since it's a pretty easy medium to print with. In fact you can buy chocolate-specific 3D printers online already from a lot of places. However that printable pizza is a whole new ball game, if they can make it not taste like "algae and insect" powder...

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Bill Ackman is so overrated. The fact that he still gets airtime is amazing.

I don't like him either, but he did start Pershing with like $50mm. Growing the fund to the $7-8 billion its at like he did is ridiculously impressive.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Surely it will never be more feasible to print a pizza than it would to just manufacture one the 'normal' way. I can't imagine that a printed pizza would ever taste better than your run-of-the-mill DiGiorno frozen pizza. I guess the road to printing a pizza would require some innovations that could have more useful (read: profitable) applications, though.

edit: Also I am guessing his pizza will be crust, sauce, and cheese. If he could pull off printing a supreme, that's another story.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

And here I was, so happy that I made 50% on my HD calls :negative:.

But seriously, the market never lets you be happy.

The REITs live to fight another month. I was bitching how they were underperforming yesterday, but they are my biggest gains right now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Turkeybone posted:

Better than your HD puts* becoming worthless. :negative:

*1 put

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

Turkeybone posted:

The REITs live to fight another month. I was bitching how they were underperforming yesterday, but they are my biggest gains right now.

Which do you like? Im thinking of getting back into PSEC after a 2 year abstain from them. ARR is a loving DOG right now. I got out of them at the right time.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Haha well most of them are dogs right now, I'm trying to cycle out for the most part. TWO has been my best performer, but they're really all in the lurch right now for many reasons.I don't really follow VNQ, but it is REIT exposed and still doing strangely well (though the dividend is tiny in comparison to most reits).

Somewhere, some HFT computers got large boners selling the poo poo out that rally. I mean Bernanke said everything that any bull could possibly want to hear.. this could finally be that breather/ short term reversal everyone has been 'expecting.'

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I'm only up 14% YTD. Markets are kicking my rear end :(

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Thinking of shorting ANGI. I put together a model based on current cost trends, I don't think they will be profitable by next year as management purports they will be. The challenge is that this stock will probably pop as long as they keep reporting subscriber growth and its impossible to predict the top of that. Eventually though, I think the market will realize that they will not achieve profitability any time soon. How do I play this, long term puts??

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Pertinent chart for today:

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
Yeah, the amount of leverage out there right now is pretty scary. I'm personally sitting on my cash and waiting for things to unwind.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Mitt Romney posted:

I don't think the market downturns in 86 and 2000 are comparable to 2008 because the 86 one only went down about 20% and the 2000 one took place over almost 3 years. The 2008 took place over just a few months and went down 50%.

I was 100% in stock mutual funds in '08. After losing half my money I called fidelity and asked them exactly what the gently caress it was I was paying them for. They pretty much said "nothing."

So here I am.

Right now I'm 25% in cash, 50% in stock funds, 15% in my own handpicked stocks with stops, 10% in bond funds and <1% in crazy options plays.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 22, 2013

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
The sudden moments of emotional urgency I get feeling I am being left out of the gravy train by being in cash is evidence enough that I should stay put.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
And then of course in fidelity (Probably in other providers too) you cant do a stop loss on mutual funds and they some time to clear so you're hosed. :shepface:

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

nebby posted:

The sudden moments of emotional urgency I get feeling I am being left out of the gravy train by being in cash is evidence enough that I should stay put.

"When others are greedy...", etc.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Will approval of the Keystone Pipeline affect TransCanada's share price or is it already factored in?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

Ofc. Sex Robot BPD posted:

Will approval of the Keystone Pipeline affect TransCanada's share price or is it already factored in?

Approval of both Keystone and/or Northern Gateway is far from certain, so in both cases I would say there is a significant risk factor still baked into their prices.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
Just to add to the downturns comment from above. In 2000 the market went bonkers for Internet stocks for the first few months of the year. The NASDAQ was up maybe 40-50% in that time period and everything just collapsed in a short period of time.

Before the Dow broke down in 2000 it traded sideways for a few years just churning unable to make any progress.

In 2008, it started in 2007 when some leveraged bond funds with Bear Stearns blew up and Paulson got up there telling everyone that it is all ok and they had it under control. The markets started topping and went through a period of sideways trading before falling apart.

The rot usually starts a year before it falls apart but everyone is too busy to see the signals.

Despoiler
Apr 9, 2002
I liked the part where Kuriyama did his big speech.
if you're looking for a contrarian indication - i have worked in fixed income sales at a bank for the past 4 years and have been completely in cash that entire time. i have long been freaked out by the ugly macro fundamentals worldwide but couldn't get it though my dumb skull that fundamentals are irrelevant when central banks are pumping money into the system like this.

i'm finally in the market and feeling bullish - and clearly this means things are going to crash soon

MayakovskyMarmite
Dec 5, 2009

Despoiler posted:

if you're looking for a contrarian indication - i have worked in fixed income sales at a bank for the past 4 years and have been completely in cash that entire time. i have long been freaked out by the ugly macro fundamentals worldwide but couldn't get it though my dumb skull that fundamentals are irrelevant when central banks are pumping money into the system like this.

i'm finally in the market and feeling bullish - and clearly this means things are going to crash soon

Maybe it is just confirmation bias, but every time a bunch of new posters show up in this thread talking about how bullish they are on their new investments in Apple or Gold or now Stocks, it is probably a bad idea to buy. It just screams dumb money. Everyone else is making money on this, so I must be able to as well. I'm still laughing at all those posters who were goldbugging it up when the price was $1700-1800 an ounce. Talking about how gold was so safe and can only go up.

I only vaguely believe in market timing, so I'm not selling anything, but I wouldn't invest a penny more before at least a 5% if not 10% pull-back.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

MayakovskyMarmite posted:

I only vaguely believe in market timing, so I'm not selling anything, but I wouldn't invest a penny more before at least a 5% if not 10% pull-back.

Sure... or maybe you're trying to keep all of those juicy profits for yourself. :tinfoil:

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
It's may so you know what that means...

Gonna sell my highest winners and lock in profits now.

Smear Campaign
Nov 3, 2003

destroy all dreamers with debt and depression

Arkane posted:

Great call on this, and kudos for executing...tried to sell short yesterday around 52.5 but it wasn't available to short. I looked at put options but they were already pricing in a drop.

Well this was a good trade until it hit my stop during the middle of the day and then went back up. :negative:

Options goons: do you set stops for options? How much? Should I stop buying out of the money options (yes)?

Volatility is wrecking me.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
With Microsoft declaring war on used retail game sales, Gamestop seems like a good long-term short. Already down about 8% since yesterday morning, though.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

It's may so you know what that means...

Gonna sell my highest winners and lock in profits now.

Did you see the 10 year JGB yields and the volatility on the Nikki tonight?

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

evilwaldo posted:

Did you see the 10 year JGB yields and the volatility on the Nikki tonight?

:psyduck:

drat, you beat me, yeah Chinese manufacturing news wasn't very good among news from the BOJ/FED, Down 7.3% at the close.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 23, 2013