Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

VodeAndreas posted:

Thanks.

Had a bit of a look at the others and think I'll stick with Nova... Now just the question of whether I want to go to the premium version or not.

The reason I'm going with a non-Touchwiz launcher is that after I got my phone back from repair it had been factory reset - and apparently if you're in Australia on 4.1.x chances are that your dock icons are now permanently locked to whatever they were before you updated... So factory reset means I'm stuck with default icons in default order... So yeah, not happy about that. :mad:
Premium is worth it for swipe actions alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I like the ability to click on a folder in Google Drive, go to Share -> Email Collaborators and fire off a message to everyone attached to it.

Does that functionality exist in the Android version?

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
Action Launcher is pretty sweet, with its inflatable widgets and stuff.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I've been using Holo launcher a lot, mostly because some ROM I'd used previously came with it as the default launcher. It seems pretty similar to Nova, but feels a little snappier on my phone. Might be placebo, though.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

AppleCobbler posted:

Action Launcher is pretty sweet, with its inflatable widgets and stuff.

Yeah I like that he's doing some different things with his launcher. I bought it when ALP first came out and recently checked out the latest version. It has improved quite a bit.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I vote Apex. Nova came with a lot of roms I played with late last year. I never could find a landscape mode in it (was I dumb? or is there none?) Also seems like free ver of Apex has a few more little features I liked from Go Launcher back on GB than Nova did.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I fell in love with Smart Launcher but I can't find a lockscreen to replace the Samsung lockscreen that I like.

But, out of the back-to-basics launchers, Apex definitely gets my vote.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm A Guy who has used Apex/Nova/ADW and they're all pretty much the same for what I need. I use Apex, though.

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007
I think by now all the Holo-style launchers have feature parity, though I use Apex because there was a time when Nova did some things I didn't like. I also like Fancy Widgets, by the same developer, so it was a little bit of a brand loyalty thing.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Just got an update for my Pandora app and I noticed this in the Permissions tab...

quote:

ADD OR MODIFY CALENDAR EVENTS AND SEND EMAIL TO GUESTS WITHOUT OWNERS' KNOWLEDGE
Allows the app to add, remove, change events that you can modify on your device, including those of friends or co-workers. This may allow the app to send messages that appear to come from calendar owners, or modify events without the owners' knowledge.

Why the gently caress does an internet radio need to access my calendar or send email's. I love and hate that Google now shows the permissions an app requires. I love it because it's good to know, but I find I don't want to install a god drat thing now.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Sab669 posted:

Just got an update for my Pandora app and I noticed this in the Permissions tab...

Why the gently caress does an internet radio need to access my calendar or send email's. I love and hate that Google now shows the permissions an app requires. I love it because it's good to know, but I find I don't want to install a god drat thing now.

http://help.pandora.com/customer/portal/articles/85705-application-permissions-on-android

quote:

Read Contacts & Write Calendar: these permissions enable two features--to share your Pandora stations with a friend via email, and to add an event featured in an ad (like a movie premier) to your calendar. If you decide that you want to share a station, Pandora will allow you to select an email address from your contact list and send an email. If you decide that an ad offers an event you'd like to attend, Pandora will offer to add this event to your calendar. These functions would always be initiated by you.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Sab669 posted:

Do a little more digging before you enter paranoid mode. They explain that its for things like adding dates to your calendar for premiers and stuff like that.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I didn't realize on Pandora's website there was a section that dictates their usage of permissions, but I just find that every app I have I look over and just ask myself, "Why the hell do you need that?" Was just using them as an example because it's the most recent occurrence for me.

I don't mean to sound all :tinfoil: but it just bothers me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Since the I/O update, I've had nothing but trouble with Google Now on my Nexus 4 (stock, unrooted). It'll constantly lose connection and stop working for minutes (sometimes hours) at a time.

There's no easy way to fix it other than removing the data and cache and resetting up with Now.

Is anyone else having this problem?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is there any way to disable read receipts in Hangouts? Sometimes I don't feel like responding and don't want people saying poo poo like "I know you read my message, why aren't you saying anything, dick?"

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013
I don't like the new Play Music app. Can someone suggest something better? Or does anyone know where I can find a copy of the previous version?

I hate that they got rid of the "recently played" list.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Safe and Secure! posted:

I don't like the new Play Music app. Can someone suggest something better? Or does anyone know where I can find a copy of the previous version?

I hate that they got rid of the "recently played" list.

You should be able to just uninstall updates from the app manager in settings.

Edit: Also when I open up the new app everything on the default page is my recently played stuff.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

GutBomb posted:

Is there any way to disable read receipts in Hangouts? Sometimes I don't feel like responding and don't want people saying poo poo like "I know you read my message, why aren't you saying anything, dick?"
Your friends require an update.

Seriously though I'm not a fan of them either.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Is there a site or maybe one of you all with a backup that I can get an apk of google drive the version before today's update?

It just crashes on me now when trying to open up something, cleared data with no help.

Edit got an old one off wife's phone with es backup.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 23, 2013

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
So, I know we aren't talking about Hangouts here in the thread anymore, but this is more of an observation rather than anything else.

My wife just called me with her bone stock GS3, and I answered it from my laptop via hangouts. What is interesting, is that I didn't know whether she was using the hangouts app or if she was using the regular cell phone call, and she had no indication that I was using my laptop to answer her phone call. It was all very seamless. Has this always been the function of google voice and I was just unaware of it, or is this an update that has come with the hangout rollout? As of now, I used the google voice plugin in order to receive/send texts and see missed calls, but never to answer a phone call.

7 Bowls of Wrath fucked around with this message at 00:16 on May 23, 2013

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

So, I know we aren't talking about Hangouts here in the thread anymore, but this is more of an observation rather than anything else.

My wife just called me with her bone stock GS3, and I answered it from my laptop via hangouts. What is interesting, is that I didn't know whether she was using the hangouts app or if she was using the regular cell phone call, and she had no indication that I was using my laptop to answer her phone call. It was all very seamless. Has this always been the function of google voice and I was just unaware of it, or is this an update that has come with the hangout rollout? As of now, I used the google voice plugin in order to receive/send texts and see missed calls, but never to answer a phone call.

If I understand you correctly, this is how the Google Talk/Voice thingy has always worked.

When someone calls my number (I use Google Voice), the Google Talk (now Hangouts) extension would pop up an answer/deny window in addition to my cell phone ringing. I could answer with my computer or cell phone and no one is the wiser.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Ok, this seems like an obvious question, but I want to make sure I have it right. I want Google Music to cache my recently played songs, regardless of if it's played over wifi or mobile data. I know I had it set up like this previously, but I feel like the settings are written differently now. I want cache while streaming checked, but do I check the one below it (cache while charging and on wifi) or not? I want it to always cache, not just charging and on wifi...

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
The way I'm reading it, I think you should check them both.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Sobriquet posted:

The way I'm reading it, I think you should check them both.

That's what I was thinking (and have checked), but something about the way it's written breaks my brain.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

GutBomb posted:

Is there any way to disable read receipts in Hangouts?
No, but message notifications don't affect the read acknowledgment if you don't tap on them. So if you're fast enough, you can read the message in the notification and clear it, and they'll think you never read it.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
What's the oldest version of Android does Hangouts accept? My friend has Froyo and even though my googling seems to mention it rolling out for them, he's not seeing it.

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.

Primworm posted:

Is anyone else seeing an update for play music? I have an update showing, but the changelog looks the same. Just looking to confirm, I have had to update the same app multiple times in the past with no change in the changelog, so just trying to confirm a play store glitch or not!

The new Google Music was constantly crashing with TW/jellybean based phones. The update pretty much fixed that issue as it was also crashing in the background.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Evil Vin posted:

What's the oldest version of Android does Hangouts accept? My friend has Froyo and even though my googling seems to mention it rolling out for them, he's not seeing it.
I think it's gingerbread according to google play.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
I signed up for the trial of Google's Spotify competitor service that's supported by the new Play Music update. It's $2 cheaper/mo than Spotify, so I'm seeing if I can get everything that's in my Spotify library moved over. So far, I don't like that if I add a whole album as a new playlist, it doesn't assume I want the playlist to have the album's name like Spotify does. I'm driving across the state this weekend, so I'll probably have decided by the time I get back if I like it enough to cancel Spotify.

I haven't touched the Music app in a while. I used to have to drive ~80 minutes each day, so I uploaded all my music from home and tried streaming that stuff instead of spending money on Spotify. But it was destroying my data. Pandora and Spotify never really made a dent, but Music was using some serious MB.

Sulphuric Sundae fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 23, 2013

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I don't get the appeal of services like All Access and Spotify. $10 a month for songs you can't keep doesn't sound appealing. I can just put that $10 a month into buying albums that I get to keep should I ever decide to spot spending the $10, or if the service goes away.

Plus there's the issue of data caps these days.

What makes those of you who use the service choose it over just buying songs/albums here and there?

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
I listen to enough different music in a month that $10 is significantly cheaper than buying it. There's also just something appealing about how low effort it is to see someone recommend an album and then just add it to my playlist in All Access.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Require More Fire posted:

I don't get the appeal of services like All Access and Spotify. $10 a month for songs you can't keep doesn't sound appealing. I can just put that $10 a month into buying albums that I get to keep should I ever decide to spot spending the $10, or if the service goes away.

What makes those of you who use the service choose it over just buying songs/albums here and there?

The idea is listening to music you didn't know about before. Its like someone lending you there entire music library to find stuff you like. And that person has almost every song ever recorded.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

I can pay $8 a month for access to Google's entire catalog of music, available anywhere there's an internet connection, or I could put that $8 towards an album, which is a comparatively tiny amount of music that I might not even like! If I buy a CD, I also have to go through the trouble of ripping it and uploading it, just for the same convenience I get from All Access. The radio feature is also nice, and if there's music that All Access doesn't have and I do, I can upload it and it works just like everything else.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Over the course of a year I'd probably spend more on music than $96. My data cap is 3GB which I haven't hit in a long time, and I stream quite a bit - Google Music caches songs, and I tend to pin songs I listen to a lot. Plus at work I'm on wifi so streaming all day there is no problem. And anyway I do that from my browser.

I'm still a dope and just bought Random Access Memories though because I'm a sperg

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
It's the ease of getting new stuff to me. Being able to Shazam something and then immediately add it to my playlist is really cool. And not having my library limited by how much space is on my player. I'd rather save room on my Android for apps and maybe videos, and my iPod Touch is way too small to store even a decent fraction of my music collection from my computer. If I get a craving to listen to a song I don't have or I get sick of what I currently have on-hand, I can change it up immediately. I definitely got more of my money's worth out of it when I had a longer commute, but I still use it a decent amount while I'm at work. And at the price of buying one album a month, I don't see it as a terrible expense.

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

If I buy a CD, I also have to go through the trouble of ripping it and uploading it, just for the same convenience I get from All Access.

I'm using All Access as well, but to be fair this is pretty well taken care of covered by Amazon's AutoRip service and Cloud Player.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Sobriquet posted:

I'm using All Access as well, but to be fair this is pretty well taken care of covered by Amazon's AutoRip service and Cloud Player.
I didn't know this was a thing, but I've never bought music from Amazon, I get it from second-hand stores because it's like half the price. Now I don't have to worry about it at all until Google axes All Access.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'd like to set up the stock email app to stop syncing my Exchange email account outside of business hours. What's the best way to pull that off?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Gozinbulx posted:

The idea is listening to music you didn't know about before. Its like someone lending you there entire music library to find stuff you like. And that person has almost every song ever recorded.

And they even know what to recommend based on what you like to boot.

$8 is a steal for a service like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I'd like to set up the stock email app to stop syncing my Exchange email account outside of business hours. What's the best way to pull that off?

I haven't tried this, but look into Synker. It looks like you can use it in conjunction with Tasker to enable/disable syncing.

• Locked thread