Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Does anyone know how Werner Herzog ended up being in Jack Reacher of all things. I still don't get it at all. I mean honestly that's he has not had very many film roles like almost always very small parts or voice over.

So does anyone know the back story to that cause I haven't found a suitable answer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

penismightier posted:

That is gossip.

Well, shoot.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Hollis posted:

Does anyone know how Werner Herzog ended up being in Jack Reacher of all things. I still don't get it at all. I mean honestly that's he has not had very many film roles like almost always very small parts or voice over.

So does anyone know the back story to that cause I haven't found a suitable answer.

And as for casting Werner Herzog as the villain? It's a genius move that endeared the films to cinephiles the world over, and McQuarrie gives all the credit to his casting director, Mindy Marin. "I gave her my list of criteria. The main ones being that I wanted somebody European and unknown to a wider audience," he explained. "I thought the villian would be a lot more intimidating if he was somebody unfamiliar. And the first name out of her mouth was Werner Herzog which I thought was an inspired idea but we would obviously never get him."

A week later McQuarrie was on the phone with an excited Herzog, who was very keen to take on the role, but of course, this triggered second-guessing doubts. "I was suddenly worried that he was too unfamiliar and that he was gonna feel like a documentary character in a Tom Cruise movie," McQuarrie said. The director vacillated back and forth, but it was Tom Cruise who gave him the best advice possible. "It's Werner Herzog, man. I don't understand. Like just hire the guy."

Herzog became a favorite on the set of the actors and the crew. "We had about 90 minutes put aside for us to rehearse some of the scenes towards the end of the movie and the trailer and the first three hours of that 90 minute meeting were Werner Herzog telling stories about his experience in an African prison," McQuarrie laughed. "That was kinda what the relationship was. He would never leave the set. He would just hang out with the crew, he would hang out with the other actors and he's still very much a student of film. And was also there constantly observing and constantly learning. And it was just a great."

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...herzog-20121219

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DNS posted:

Herzog became a favorite on the set of the actors and the crew. "We had about 90 minutes put aside for us to rehearse some of the scenes towards the end of the movie and the trailer and the first three hours of that 90 minute meeting were Werner Herzog telling stories about his experience in an African prison," McQuarrie laughed. "That was kinda what the relationship was. He would never leave the set. He would just hang out with the crew, he would hang out with the other actors and he's still very much a student of film. And was also there constantly observing and constantly learning. And it was just a great."

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...herzog-20121219

You just know Herzog was massively interested to see how a Tom Cruise movie functions behind the scenes.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

scary ghost dog posted:

You just know Herzog was massively interested to see how a Tom Cruise movie functions behind the scenes.

"I just deed not understand. I say to my new friend Thomas Cruise, 'Why are you always running? What is weeth all the running? Who are you running from... is it your mother?' He deed not have any answers for me, but perhaps no one can understand what makes a man run."

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

"I just deed not understand. I say to my new friend Thomas Cruise, 'Why are you always running? What is weeth all the running? Who are you running from... is it your mother?' He deed not have any answers for me, but perhaps no one can understand what makes a man run."

:golfclap:

Was that movie any good, btw?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I can only read this in Tommy Wiseau's voice.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Eight Is Legend posted:

:golfclap:

Was that movie any good, btw?

Its an extremely goofy movie. Jack Reacher is a trickster god who flits into existence when someone writes his name on a piece of paper and then beats people up and steals cars for the whole movie. Herzog is in it for about 10 minutes. I don't really think its worth seeing.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Jack Reacher's awesome.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
For behind-the-scenes semi-gossip, you can't do better than the books written by the man who is one of the most famous screenwriters of all time, Willam Goldman.

He has dirt on "great" movies that he wrote (Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid), "mediocre" movies that he wrote (The Ghost and The Darkness), "poo poo" movies that he wrote (The Great Waldo Pepper), "great" movies that he adapted (Misery), and "poo poo" movies that he adapted (...I can't recall any at the moment).

He admits he's extremely curious about how tall stars are; he reveals the gist of conversations with stars, agents, and other industry vets (though often unnamed); he squashes a few rumors (he did not doctor the script for Good Will Hunting...though he did suggest they excise a subplot where a government agency pursues Matt Damon's character, including car chases...); and he even includes excerpts from his scripts, suggestions to writers, and candid commentary about his own failures.

Or I think Jim Breuer has a book filled with anecdotes about how Chris Kattan is a piece of poo poo. That's probably funnier, anyway.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The good SNL dirt book is Jay Mohr's.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
THere's this well known article about Linday Lohan's on set antics
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/magazine/here-is-what-happens-when-you-cast-lindsay-lohan-in-your-movie.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

nocal posted:

Or I think Jim Breuer has a book filled with anecdotes about how Chris Kattan is a piece of poo poo. That's probably funnier, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rFu_u71gas
Jim Breuer telling a story about the Twilight Zone sketch, with Norm MacDonald & Chris Kattan in it.

The sketch itself is on youtube, but it's hard to tell if the story is true. It's hilarious though.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 21, 2013

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

In the absence of Roger Ebert I feel lost and confused. What are some recommendations for a new "go to" critic?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

caiman posted:

In the absence of Roger Ebert I feel lost and confused. What are some recommendations for a new "go to" critic?

A.O. Scott and Manohla Dargis from the NY Times are pretty good.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

caiman posted:

The movie critics on the SA front-page.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'll always take an opportunity to pimp Tim Brayton. No critic who's about to follow a Ray Harryhausen week with a summer-long retrospective of Canadian slasher films is a critic worth sleeping on (yes, he does current releases too).

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
As much as I loathe to admit it for how much I really hated on him when I first started reading his reviews, Film Crit Hulk has really won me over. He doesn't review everything, so it's not a real Go-To, but it's a fantastic read for after you've seen a movie and want to read/talk more about it.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Armond White, unless you're some kind of fuckin nerd.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Joe Bob Briggs. :colbert:

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
There is a movie where a woman and her friend conspire to kill a man, I think he was either an abusive husband, or a terrible landlord... I can't remember. They work together to try and conceal the murder (I think they roll the body up in a carpet?)

Does anyone have any idea what movie this is? I want to say it was from the 40's.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

RagingBoner posted:

There is a movie where a woman and her friend conspire to kill a man, I think he was either an abusive husband, or a terrible landlord... I can't remember. They work together to try and conceal the murder (I think they roll the body up in a carpet?)

Does anyone have any idea what movie this is? I want to say it was from the 40's.

Is the friend a woman? Then that sounds like Diabolique (1956).

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is the friend a woman? Then that sounds like Diabolique (1956).

That's the one! Thank you very much!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Christianity Today has good, in depth reviews, surprisingly enough.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
In a fit of awesomeness, my local multiplex is showing Airplaine!, Caddyshack, and Jaws this summer.

I know nothing about how theaters are run, but how exactly does the business side of this work, and how does it differ from the usual "We show 4 or 5 of the most recent big releases and then they are gone FOREVER" business?

[Dumb edit] I'm not old enough to have seen Jaws in a theater, but I think it will be worth the ticket price just for the ability to hear that cello sound on a full-size theater sound system by itself.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

FuSchnick posted:

In a fit of awesomeness, my local multiplex is showing Airplaine!, Caddyshack, and Jaws this summer.

I know nothing about how theaters are run, but how exactly does the business side of this work, and how does it differ from the usual "We show 4 or 5 of the most recent big releases and then they are gone FOREVER" business?

[Dumb edit] I'm not old enough to have seen Jaws in a theater, but I think it will be worth the ticket price just for the ability to hear that cello sound on a full-size theater sound system by itself.

Before digital, theaters could rent 35mm prints from studios of older films. This kind of died out because studios would send worn prints instead of something pristine. The 35mm revivals I've seen of Eyes Wide Shut, Casablanca, and Citizen Kane were from older prints (EWS looked like it had gone through a meat grinder at reel changes) but The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Safety Last!, and The Wizard of Oz looked like they were fresh from the lab.

My first job was at a drive-in theater that used to play Universal horror marathons at Halloween, but stopped when they kept getting horrible prints with a hundred decaying splices.

With digital, they can still rent, but it's vastly easier with digital files. Jaws will always be Universal's pristine 4K master instead of a faded 1970s print. When I saw Lawrence of Arabia back in October, the 4K projection was beyond amazing. It's really good for classics if more theaters would get into showing them. Now it's cheaper and easier, so there's just a matter of interest.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Egbert Souse posted:

Before digital, theaters could rent 35mm prints from studios of older films. This kind of died out because studios would send worn prints instead of something pristine. The 35mm revivals I've seen of Eyes Wide Shut, Casablanca, and Citizen Kane were from older prints (EWS looked like it had gone through a meat grinder at reel changes) but The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Safety Last!, and The Wizard of Oz looked like they were fresh from the lab.

My first job was at a drive-in theater that used to play Universal horror marathons at Halloween, but stopped when they kept getting horrible prints with a hundred decaying splices.

With digital, they can still rent, but it's vastly easier with digital files. Jaws will always be Universal's pristine 4K master instead of a faded 1970s print. When I saw Lawrence of Arabia back in October, the 4K projection was beyond amazing. It's really good for classics if more theaters would get into showing them. Now it's cheaper and easier, so there's just a matter of interest.

Well that makes sense, since this theater has all digital projectors. I'm glad they are doing it! I wonder if I can get in touch with the owners and put in some requests...

What do these rentals cost? Is it a flat amount, a percentage of ticket sales, a combination of both?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Egbert Souse posted:

Our local cineplex did Flashback Flicks every Thursday for like four years and usually it was pretty good (though there were a hilarious amount of projector-lens fuckups) but every once in a while something bizarre would happen. My favorite was when a whole sequence had been cut out of The Matrix and the entire audience yelled.

Egbert Souse posted:

When I saw Lawrence of Arabia back in October, the 4K projection was beyond amazing.

That was seriously one of the most gorgeous things I've ever seen projected.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Egbert Souse posted:

Problem is that they can rent, but they generally aren't. They're taking a lot of titles out of circulation that way and it's just terrible.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That was seriously one of the most gorgeous things I've ever seen projected.

Until penismightier makes that screening of Chainsaw Scumfuck happen.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

NeuroticErotica posted:

Problem is that they can rent, but they generally aren't. They're taking a lot of titles out of circulation that way and it's just terrible.

That's a downside. Films like Jaws and E.T. will always be available in one form or another, but not every film. Apparently Sony does not have any 35mm prints of The Age of Innocence anymore. Then there's all the films that probably don't have the monetary value to be upgraded to a 2K or 4K file, despite usable or even pristine negatives.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

caiman posted:

Ian Maddison, Martin Schneider, Joseph Wade and Sean Hanson.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

What I wouldn't give for Werner Herzog to somehow end up working for E!, doing behind-the-scenes puff pieces in his sombre documentarian style.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

DNS posted:

Ian Maddison.

A handsome choice.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

In Walk Hard, what musician is John C. Reilly parodying as Dewey Cox for "Guilty as Charged"? The clip of the song below includes two topless women engaged in simulated sex, so likely not work safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yCNghEwMw0

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

In Walk Hard, what musician is John C. Reilly parodying as Dewey Cox for "Guilty as Charged"? The clip of the song below includes two topless women engaged in simulated sex, so likely not work safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yCNghEwMw0

Like most of the songs in the movie, it's largely a pastiche of Elvis, Johnny Cash and their contemporaries.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Sir Kodiak posted:

It reminds me of this. But there might be other Johnny Cash songs it's more similar too, not too familiar with JC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUVwZoiH5ZU

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Egbert Souse posted:

That's a downside. Films like Jaws and E.T. will always be available in one form or another, but not every film. Apparently Sony does not have any 35mm prints of The Age of Innocence anymore. Then there's all the films that probably don't have the monetary value to be upgraded to a 2K or 4K file, despite usable or even pristine negatives.
Well, Airplane! certainly wasn't a super-high quality version, but it still ruled to see it alongside an audience. Man I love that movie. I hope Jaws is one of their premiere preservation examples when they show it in July.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What does "shot" mean in this context.

http://vashivisuals.com/6-famous-movies-with-very-few-shots/

If I film a lengthy conversation between two people and do two takes, (say over the shoulder of each character) and in the final edit I cut back and forth between the two takes 15 times, is that 2 shots or 15?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Skwirl posted:

What does "shot" mean in this context.

http://vashivisuals.com/6-famous-movies-with-very-few-shots/

If I film a lengthy conversation between two people and do two takes, (say over the shoulder of each character) and in the final edit I cut back and forth between the two takes 15 times, is that 2 shots or 15?

In the context of looking at the final film, you'd have 15 different shots from two angles.