Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

rorty posted:

Thank you for the amazing recommendations. So much.
You're quite welcome! Glad the :words: were helpful ones.

rorty posted:

Renoise is an absolute masterstroke. I love it. It's actually quite robust with samples, but as far as workflow goes for something who isn't recording much audio straight into the DAW it's a revelation. I couldn't mash my debit card number in fast enough after messing around with the demo. Nicely priced too. Everything I felt like I was kind of fudging in Ableton goes naturally in Renoise.
Hey there tracker buddy! :hfive:

I also confess to the same type of frustration you mentioned with Live versus Renoise. In the end, I caved and bought Live because 1.) a friend I work with on musical projects uses it and was unwilling to use Renoise (after giving it a try), and 2.) I remember using very early Live demos back in the early 2000s and liking it for playing samples and messing with things "live" in an improvisation sort of way (and well, if I'm being honest, 3.) by the time I bought Live, Ableton was running a sweet deal that included M4L too, and I like Max/MSP a lot.) Obviously my frustrations are not totally fair to Live; it's an entirely different program with a different way of working, but yeah, I feel like things are more direct and go much faster for me in Renoise generally. I'm sure this won't be the case with everything ever, and that Live is better at some things; I'm still working through the hump of my learning curve with Live for sure.

Dicky B posted:

Renoise is the only modern DAW i have tried which handles samples "right" in my view in that instead of having some stupid sample player instrument, any sample can be used *as* an instrument and controlled precisely via the pattern editor, which is all really valuable if you do complicated slicing and arranging of samples in your music. I wonder how people manage it in more conventional sequencers. I struggled along with Reason's sampler for many years before I discovered Renoise where the sampling workflow I was trying to achieve is an integral part of the software.
That handling of samples is, to me, one of the things that is part and parcel of the tracker style of working, going way back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
Made a 75 BPM doodle/loop.

Worth the time to finish or not really? I'm really not sure.

https://soundcloud.com/figure-8/seventyfive/s-NEyt7

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Rivfader posted:

Made a 75 BPM doodle/loop.

Worth the time to finish or not really? I'm really not sure.

https://soundcloud.com/figure-8/seventyfive/s-NEyt7

Yeah the groove is cool on this, it would make a fantastic intro to something.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Hey all, here are the specs for that MacbookPro that my co-worker is looking to sell me. Let me know if it looks like it is well-equipped for running DAW software and any additional things I may need for production. He was looking for $600.

Macbook Pro
15.4" Glossy Widescreen
2.53GHz Intel Core Duo
4GB Ram
250GB HD
nVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512MB Graphics

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

MrSargent posted:

Hey all, here are the specs for that MacbookPro that my co-worker is looking to sell me. Let me know if it looks like it is well-equipped for running DAW software and any additional things I may need for production. He was looking for $600.

Macbook Pro
15.4" Glossy Widescreen
2.53GHz Intel Core Duo
4GB Ram
250GB HD
nVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512MB Graphics

Those specs are very similar to the regular Macbook I just upgraded from. You'll be fine for the most part; the performance will vary a bit depending on what and how much software you're running to make music but if you're conscious of that when you're picking out plug-ins to use (like don't go out and buy an additive synth like NI Razor) you'll be just fine.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Also I've been up for like 48 hours sampling death metal tunes for this beat and I finally uploaded it. I could play around in this live file for months.
https://soundcloud.com/goobermusic/from-sweden-with-heaters

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
Anybody know where I can find that "Dick" sample they use in all the jersey club tunes?

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

I finished an album. http://mathbonus.bandcamp.com/album/solicitude

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
this better be awesome. Will buy it properly when I'm not concerned about rent synths.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

That is cool of you. Thank you.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

:tipshat: Love this! Nice work.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Here's something new.
https://soundcloud.com/colugo/funy-computer

How is the mastering on this? I think this is the first time I've felt generally happy with the overall production but my ears play tricks on me sometimes.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dicky B posted:

Here's something new.

How is the mastering on this? I think this is the first time I've felt generally happy with the overall production but my ears play tricks on me sometimes.

I only have headphones right now, but it sounds really good on them! :dance:

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dicky B posted:

Here's something new.

The mix and master sound great.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So NuDisco stuff is kind of fun. Wasn't set on the Daft Punk vocals but I felt the track was lacking without some vocal sample, especially to compliment the female vocal chops.

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 28, 2013

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Cameron posted:

The mix and master sound great.

Your Computer posted:

I only have headphones right now, but it sounds really good on them! :dance:
Nice, glad I'm finally getting the hang of it. I think it helps when I actually master from the start instead of trying to do it all at the end like I usually do.

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
If you like Le Knight Club and shameless disco funk ripoff music you might like my new album. Here's the full thing, for free. I recommend "Go". Sssssssssssseeeeeeeeeya :staredog:

http://rmnc.bandcamp.com/album/just-for-you

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Gibberish posted:

If you like Le Knight Club and shameless disco funk ripoff music you might like my new album. Here's the full thing, for free. I recommend "Go". Sssssssssssseeeeeeeeeya :staredog:

I saw this on your facebook- I like this a lot. It's shameless as hell and fun as gently caress. A++++++ would download again.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Gibberish posted:

Literally heard the first 8 bars of the first track and knew I had to purchase this. This is amazing work! That's two albums I've bought on this page. Talent is hard on my wallet.

Edit: Head's up Gibberish

Romantics of Rydeen Part 2 01:23
Romantics of Rydeen Part 2 03:34

I'm supposing that's not intentional?

PoizenJam fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 26, 2013

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Gibberish posted:

Here's the full thing, for free.

You have just received some bootstraps.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I came across this clip on John Carlini's website and thought it would be fun to add a bunch of stupid bleeps and bloops to it and now it's 5 hours later.
:toot: https://soundcloud.com/colugo/e-flat-pickin

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

I somehow got the hookups to work on a song for the official Anodyne remix album, a cool rear end game with rad music. here it is http://soundcloud.com/mathbonus/seagaia-anodyne-mathbonus

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 27, 2013

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
drat that's snazzy

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Poizen Jam posted:

I'm supposing that's not intentional?

Good catch. I hope anyone who downloaded it will change the file name.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Do any of you guys use isolation pads for your monitors and do they make a big difference?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just made something and looking for all kinds of feedback:
https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer/painted-by-numbers

description, as posted on soundcloud;

Cover of song by the same name of The Sounds.

In line with my philosophy that ANYTHING could work well as oldschool synthpop.

It's obviously missing vocals, as I don't know a single person who can sing (including myself) :(
The synths have a lot of highend because I "envision" this track with a male vocalist ala OMD (for max synthpop feel)

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Got some advice, possibly from someone in the thread, about the vocals and reverb on my track. Tamed it a bit and now I think I'm comfortable calling it a final release.

Daft Punk - Technologic (Poizen Jam Nu Disco Remix)

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

Absolutely fantastic work, friend. Glad to be able to throw some support your way! Dark Headed is haunting and hypnotic, just the way I like it, and thus probably my favourite track. They're all standout though!

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

Thanks very much! :)

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Hey All, I've got Ableton installed on my new MacbookPro and have been going through tutorials and demos to familiarize myself with the software and the process of creating music. I did have some beginner questions though because I am trying to get the most out of my time spent learning and ramping up.

I have started to put some very simple arrangements together (kick + snare, bass, lead synth) but one thing that really bugs me is when the sample I am using just doesn't sound the way I want it to. Obviously I am going to want more samples than what comes out of the box, but was wondering what the best way of finding these samples would be. I am mostly interested in samples used for house/electro, especially drum samples and bass. The synths I was planning on using a plug-in (Sylenth) to create them myself.

Also, I feel like I am pretty far behind when it comes to understanding a lot of the nomenclature associated with music production. Is this something that I will just need to learn over time or is there a good reference guide I can use when I just don't understand how a certain function/effect/process changes the sound?

Thanks a lot for your help, I am sure I will be bombarding this thread with questions as I dive deeper. The biggest challenge for me is that it all seems a bit overwhelming when you open your first DAW.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

MrSargent posted:

Hey All, I've got Ableton installed on my new MacbookPro and have been going through tutorials and demos to familiarize myself with the software and the process of creating music. I did have some beginner questions though because I am trying to get the most out of my time spent learning and ramping up.

I have started to put some very simple arrangements together (kick + snare, bass, lead synth) but one thing that really bugs me is when the sample I am using just doesn't sound the way I want it to. Obviously I am going to want more samples than what comes out of the box, but was wondering what the best way of finding these samples would be. I am mostly interested in samples used for house/electro, especially drum samples and bass. The synths I was planning on using a plug-in (Sylenth) to create them myself.

Also, I feel like I am pretty far behind when it comes to understanding a lot of the nomenclature associated with music production. Is this something that I will just need to learn over time or is there a good reference guide I can use when I just don't understand how a certain function/effect/process changes the sound?

Thanks a lot for your help, I am sure I will be bombarding this thread with questions as I dive deeper. The biggest challenge for me is that it all seems a bit overwhelming when you open your first DAW.

First off, welcome to the wonderful world of music production! Prepare to spend a lot of money, time and sanity(not necessarily in that order) on your new pastime.

Regarding drum samples, I'd recommend buying a couple quality packs and calling it a day. If creating your own kicks from scratch interests you, then by all means do it, but that should really be secondary to actually starting to bumble through the music making process. There are tons of quality samples to be had for not much money, and they should last you for a while. Layer different ones in every track and you won't feel like you're just recycling. The Vengeance samples are a no-brainer for your genres, though I guess they're probably overused. I like Loopmasters a lot, I've bought a few packs from them and they're absolutely solid. Sounds2sample is Beatport's version of the same thing, and I imagine they're quite good as well.

Vocab can be annoying, and learning the entire lexicon isn't going to happen in a week. I'd recommend some Dubspot videos or Tom Cosm's series as both a general primer, and a way of seeing Ableton-specific stuff so that you start to learn your way around.

xpander fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 29, 2013

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I'd recommend the Xfer sample pack over Vengeance packs. They sound a little better and are more versatile.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sweet lord, you weren't kidding about spending a lot of money. I wanted to get some monitors next but that xfer sample pack is almost a hundred bucks. I'm guessing it's that expensive because its worth it, though?

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

If you are in the mood to experiment, http://freesound.org/ has a lot of pretty cool stuff that can be used for percussion if you search around a bit. Also it is free. Free sound.

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 29, 2013

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

MrSargent posted:

Sweet lord, you weren't kidding about spending a lot of money. I wanted to get some monitors next but that xfer sample pack is almost a hundred bucks. I'm guessing it's that expensive because its worth it, though?

I think most Vengeance packs sound pretty cheesy, what I liked about the Xfer pack is that all the sounds are good but very diverse and versatile. But if you want to drop me a PM with your email I could upload some drum samples to Google Drive and send it your way, a goon did that for me when I first started posting here so I should probably pass along the favor.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/freestuff.html has a nice selection of free drum samples.

breaks
May 12, 2001

If you like a bit more underground/somewhat experimental sounds, check out driven machine drums (strikes back) / that guy's other packs.

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

slardel posted:

If you are in the mood to experiment, http://freesound.org/ has a lot of pretty cool stuff that can be used for percussion if you search around a bit. Also it is free. Free sound.

This site rules, there are a lot of good drum samples but also a ton of field recordings and weird noises that you can just download... for free!

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Just lurk the samples subforum at KVR. I think if you pay money for samples you are a fool.

I guess the one advantage of purchasing commercial samples is you don't have to spend so much time filtering out the crap. I can't say I really mind it though.

I've been digging into this nice drum pack recently (301M):
http://www.hexawe.net/mess/200.Drum.Machines/drums.zip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Does anyone know how to make a sends kill switch in Ableton? I'm working on something with a crazy long reverb and it's annoying waiting for it to fade out to start monitoring the track again.

• Locked thread