Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Hovermoose posted:

He shouted the good old 'klikk!' in a very thick bergensk dialect.

The exercise area you're talking about is Jerkinn, right? I love the fact that privates get a 'dangerous service' bonus while clearing that field using a technique you'd think was ripped straight from an old soviet penal battalion mine clearing field manual.

No it was Blåtind in Troms. From what we were told every company in the army gets a week of cleaning the exercise areas in the country. And the 200 NOK extra a day was delicious. But the most dangerous thing was falling rocks when walking in the mountain, one guy almost got a football sized rock through his knees.

Pufflekins posted:

I wonder if all armies use lovely stoves. I know the CF does. We use lovely old Coleman stoves and if you get someone who doesn't know all the tricks to lighting it, it'll more than likely go up in a huge fireball. Some of them are easy to light and keep going but most of them are giant pieces of poo poo.

The Norwegian army actually has at least two types of stoves that I know of. The good old Optimus Primus and a large stove, almost like that finnish one ^^ that's fueled directly from a jerry can. It's big so only vehicles get it and you can cook things on it. Works great, except for the time I got stuck THREE HOURS!! on firewatch. Sitting on a watercan in a sweating hot tent trying to not fall asleep! But my team had one of these and a generator:

No firewatch at all and heats a small tent or trailer :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benem
Feb 15, 2012
The notion of literally watching fires during "firewatch" is pretty mind blowing to me right now...

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

benem posted:

The notion of literally watching fires during "firewatch" is pretty mind blowing to me right now...

3 AM midwinter in the arctic, you've been out in the snow for 20 hours and is stuck on firewatch where your job is to stare into flames. Flickering, hypnotic, warm flames. And yet they get mad at you for falling asleep. :v:

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
In the Danish army we dont get stoves. We just loving freeze in the winter lying under a piece of tarp. Good thing it doesnt ever get below -20 here. :ohdear:

Hovermoose
Jul 27, 2010

-Anders posted:

In the Danish army we dont get stoves. We just loving freeze in the winter lying under a piece of tarp. Good thing it doesnt ever get below -20 here. :ohdear:

For real? I know Denmark is hardly a frozen, hostile wasteland, but still you'd think a Scandinavian army was better equipped for winter warfare.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Hovermoose posted:

For real? I know Denmark is hardly a frozen, hostile wasteland, but still you'd think a Scandinavian army was better equipped for winter warfare.

Maybe the Danes just have heart.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

They warm themselves by listening to the soothing sounds of Je M'appelle Mads and Bounty Niller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIzRI73gzrE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2_4etK4mNI

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

"There is no such thing as bad weather, Private, only bad clothing!" pretty much sums up Danish Army's approach to cold, rain, sleet, snow, hail and locusts.

We do have some pretty good sleeping bags. And I have never complained about being cold or wet after serving my conscription - I know that I will sleep in a warm bed when the day is done.

udgaards
Mar 20, 2010
That's not right the Danish army has plenty of stoves. Yes you'll freeze your rear end off as a conscript and lay in withering cold without any heaters because it builds character and the whole "heart" thing. But while I was in Bosnia and Kosovo we had some fine heaters working on generators that could heat a 12man tent up no problem I even think I have a picture somewhere of me hugging a "varm40" or warmth 40 because I'm a sunshine solider without heart or character.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
I'm in one of the colder parts of Australia currently. It gets down to a very minimum of +20 degrees fahrenheit. I quite like this weather.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

A:WHAT\IS\UP\WITH\THIS\WAY\OF\WRITING\ORDERS?\\\
B:I\GET\IT\WHEN\WE\SPEAK\OF\WWII\TELETYPES\\\
C:BUT\SITTING\DOWN\AND\WRITING\A\FRAGO\LIKE\THIS\TO\TAKE\\
IT\TO\THE\NEXT\ROOM\OVER\BECAUSE\THAT\IS\"THE\NAVY\WAY"\IS\loving\STUPID!\\\

I once asked the old as gently caress S-6 why we write fake teletype by hand. His answer: Because we don't have any real teletypes. (so of course we have to fake it.) Writing a plaintext FRAGO/OPORD is madness after all...

Yey.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Are you TYPING it by hand or writing?

If you're typing it, you could just do a ctrl-F, Replace ' ' with '\', Replace '. ' with '\\', "Replace all."

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

udgaards posted:

That's not right the Danish army has plenty of stoves. Yes you'll freeze your rear end off as a conscript and lay in withering cold without any heaters because it builds character and the whole "heart" thing. But while I was in Bosnia and Kosovo we had some fine heaters working on generators that could heat a 12man tent up no problem I even think I have a picture somewhere of me hugging a "varm40" or warmth 40 because I'm a sunshine solider without heart or character.

Hey, Spritabe here - good to see you around, it's been a while since EQ :-) Neme says hi.

To contribute, I once wore my MOPP suit voluntarily for two days on a week long field exercise, just to keep warm while my other clothes dried.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

Are you TYPING it by hand or writing?

If you're typing it, you could just do a ctrl-F, Replace ' ' with '\', Replace '. ' with '\\', "Replace all."

I'm not typing it, I'm the signalman who has to translate it back to human readable because drat if my CO can be arsed to decipher that poo poo.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Caconym posted:

I'm not typing it, I'm the signalman who has to translate it back to human readable because drat if my CO can be arsed to decipher that poo poo.

If you have any nerds that know perl or python you can pretty easily translate that into readable text, even down to making it so it's not all caps.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fart Sandwiches posted:

If you have any nerds that know perl or python you can pretty easily translate that into readable text, even down to making it so it's not all caps.

Adding extra steps to make up for previous extra steps doesn't fix the problem of having pointless extra steps.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Fart Sandwiches posted:

"Hey guys I wrote some ~~code~~ that speeds up decoding tranmiss--"
":smith: Hi, Manning"

At least that's how I'd assume it'd go.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
That is not how it would go. Python is very common and pretty secure. The difficulty is finding someone who can write the script properly, and that's totally worth doing btw; if you're good enough with Python, then it can literally do everything for you.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Godholio posted:

Adding extra steps to make up for previous extra steps doesn't fix the problem of having pointless extra steps.

This. Thank you.
We have a few too many people who are reliving their glory days in the navy and can't quite get in their heads that we're a small boat unit and can skip some steps. We're sending out a few 50-foot PBFs for a day or three at a time, not a task group for 3 months. A plaintext 5 paragrah order will do nicely.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

safetyStanddown posted:

That is not how it would go. Python is very common and pretty secure. The difficulty is finding someone who can write the script properly, and that's totally worth doing btw; if you're good enough with Python, then it can literally do everything for you.

I dunno, I was assuming that the same people who got angry about a tit in some movie on the AF reading/watching list would also get angry about that. :shobon: It sure sounds good on paper though, yeah, learning Python and throwing together a quick script can speed up so many things.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
It's also a really good thing to have on your brag sheet, or FITREP, or whatever you have, especially if you can put a number to it (increased daily productivity by at least 8%, for example). Bitches love numbers.

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?

udgaards posted:

That's actually right, I forgot about those. I havent seen one outside of international operations ever though, certainly not on winter exercise. It seems like our norwegian colleagues actually sleep in a tent with a stove in winter, while we have to sleep in a bivybag or under a piece of tarp. Good thing we just got new Carinthia sleeping bags to help stay warm. :v:

Hovermoose
Jul 27, 2010

-Anders posted:

It seems like our norwegian colleagues actually sleep in a tent with a stove in winter, while we have to sleep in a bivybag or under a piece of tarp.
drat right we do, although having open flames / really hot objects within reach does lead to fuckups all the time. I think I've lost count of how many guys I've seen melting their boots on the oven.
After having a 'survival' night on our own, one fellow showed up for morning inspection with he tips of both his boots melted of and scorched socks. Another guy forgot his weapon In his bivouac...

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The one and only time I was on fireguard in our tent with the heater (a bigass potbelly cast iron heater that runs on JP8) I was sitting far too close to it. I had been doing incredibly heavy labor for like the last 18 hours (picket pounding wooo) and it was 3am so I was obviously nodding the gently caress off. I fell forward and to the right, narrowly missing the side of the heater. Had I fallen to the left, the side of my face would have landed directly on top of it. That was the last time I ever did fireguard inside the tent, and would trade places with dudes outside doing roaming. Rather freeze my nuts off in -40F weather than risk that poo poo again.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

We have heaters that run on JP8? New Army motto: "If it doesn't run on jet fuel, it aint poo poo."

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

We have heaters that run on JP8? New Army motto: "If it doesn't run on jet fuel, it aint poo poo."

Yeah, they were bigass potbelly heaters that you put (normally) in a GP-Large. Put your metal jerrycan of JP8 on it, attach a nozzle and let it go. You *can* put them in a GP-Medium but they take up about four cots worth of space, because anything within a four foot radius is like the surface of the sun. Seriously, it gets like four or five hundred degrees and the metal glows red hot if you crank it up.

We used them in Korea because the training area that we were at was right at the base of some mountains, and with the wind it would routinely get to -40F or colder, our thermometer only went that far.

It never stopped dudes from trying to dry their clothes/boots on it though, making the tent routinely smell like swamp rear end.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
We still use those things at Drum. Problem is, the area right beside is hot as gently caress, but another four feet away you might as well be outside.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Yukon stoves are the poo poo. You have a stand that holds the diesel jerry upside down outside the tent, and one jerry will last all night. Added bonus of not having to do firewatch and being warm as gently caress in the wasteland of Canadian winters.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Samu posted:

You have a stand that holds the diesel jerry upside down outside the tent, and one jerry will last all night.

That's how ours work. And it's basically Canada up here anyway.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Well we use those in field troops/platoons for our 10 man tents provided you're from a mechanized company and can haul them around. If you're dismounted you have a 2 burner Coleman stove in your toboggan that does literally nothing.

So happy I got into the heavy equipment side of the combat engineer trade. We build our own FOBs and haul these around with our equipment:

One of these will heat 3 ten man tents or a ten man tent and Big rear end Tent with your equipment in it in -30. If your cot is placed too close to one of these you'll have trouble sleeping no matter how cold it is outside.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Martello posted:

That's how ours work. And it's basically Canada up here anyway.

:hf:

Four years in Potsdam. I'm a Winter man, and I miss that kind of cold.

And here's how tankers keep warm:

Sweet, hot as hell cancer to the face.

EBB fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 22, 2013

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Samu posted:

So happy I got into the heavy equipment side of the combat engineer trade. We build our own FOBs and haul these around with our equipment:

Being a mechanized combat engineer is the loving way to go. It still sucks, but we can make it suck less.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Samu posted:

Well we use those in field troops/platoons for our 10 man tents provided you're from a mechanized company and can haul them around. If you're dismounted you have a 2 burner Coleman stove in your toboggan that does literally nothing.

Not entirely true, all I've ever had was Coleman stoves and a lantern and the artillery has trucks everywhere we go.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

And here's how tankers keep warm:

Sweet, hot as hell cancer to the face.

Saw a TC in another company who had made a grill to hook into the exhaust grate on the back of the tank. After running at tac idle for 5 minutes you could grill up some decent cancer steaks.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We've got these large boxy propane heaters. Thing is we've got a Temper Tent with no cold weather liner so in the past we've burned through a hell of a lot of propane during a week long exercise. We're getting a new tent this year that is supposed to have a liner, so that will be nice.

Alternatively we've set it up as a changing tent for the local polar bear plunge (You cut a big hole in the ice on a lake, people put on costumes and jump in for charity), then we just shoot a loving AGE heater in there.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Pufflekins posted:

Not entirely true, all I've ever had was Coleman stoves and a lantern and the artillery has trucks everywhere we go.

I don't know how you guys haul your poo poo, but we all drive our HESVs w/ beaver tail trailers with our equipment on it. There's extra room to bring those heaters with us so we do. When we go out to set up for a brigade ex we all pretty much drive our own HESVs with our own pieces of equipment on it so we have a lot of freedom over what we can bring. My troop will bring 8 HESVs/tractor trailers for 16 dudes and clear all the snow/set up the camp. It's a pretty good go, but we always get there first and leave last.

I used to be in an armoured troop rolling around in TLAVs (engineer m113 variant) and that was terrible in the winter. 10 man tents with coleman stoves 90% of the time.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Pretty glad my job almost exclusively gets to work in one of these guys. I just need to figure out how to justify sleeping under a table or something instead of outside.

DRASH tents are cool as hell, heat and air conditioning. Wonder how many hundreds of thousands they cost though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Pretty glad my job almost exclusively gets to work in one of these guys. I just need to figure out how to justify sleeping under a table or something instead of outside.

DRASH tents are cool as hell, heat and air conditioning. Wonder how many hundreds of thousands they cost though.
I think that's what we're getting. They already delivered some rugged track lights that are supposed to clamp right onto the frame, though the tent itself isn't supposed to show up for another couple months.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah they're all modular including the lights, power distribution, etc. The bigger tent sections come on a trailer (obviously the ones with the ducts coming off of them) that has an on board generator as well as the heat/AC unit. Normally we don't use the built in generators though, instead using dedicated 15k or whatever units as you can see in the picture. Really neat stuff I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

You from Upstate somewhere? I just went to Potsdam for the first time in my life last Saturday to watch my fiancee's mom's Masters graduation. Seems like a cool little campus.