Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

Someone give me a rib rub. Wanna smoke some ribs this weekend.

fivespice ribs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Same here. Grocery stores can't sell alcohol, except for one in the entire county (and the county executive had to break the law to allow this store the liquor license, he's SOL now that they caught him, but the store still sells), which is stupid. a cheap bottle of wine can be gotten though, in one of those huge jugs for maybe 11-12 bucks. I've found that this works out OK in the long run for cooking wine.

I've seen those too, and I don't know much about wine, but doesn't it go pretty bad after you first crack it open unless you use it in the next few days?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
That's why I use a goon cask. IE box wine.

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head
Polish goons, does Winiary liquid seasoning taste anything like Maggi? They certainly look like they're trying to be the same thing. Never had Maggi but I just bought a bottle of Winiary. Tastes like liquid MSG.

Food storage question: do cut, "fresh" herbs keep longer in the sealed packet or standing in some water?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Well maggi seasoning tastes like liquid MSG, so if winiary does...

Cut herbs last longer in a jar with a bit of water in it with an appropriately sized zip lock bag up-ended on top.
I cut my own herbs, and coriander or parsley is limp the next day just wrapped up in the fridge, but lasts 4+ days or so in a jug with water and a loose zip lock bag on top.
I knew a guy ages ago that worked in a produce section of a supermarket, they often gave overnight water baths to limp leafy veg to get them good for the next days shelf display.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 21, 2013

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Save me jeebus posted:

I want to try using invert sugar in a baking recipe. Is there a conversion rate or rule of thumb for substituting invert sugar for table sugar?

Not sure on a conversion rate, but check out some of the Momofuku Milk Bar cookie recipes, a lot of them use it. Any of the ones I've baked at home have turned out awesome and chewy with slightly crunchy edges!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've got some chicken stock in the fridge I want to use for soup but can't think of what soup. I'd planned on doing ham and pea since I've left over ham but it turns out I've not got any peas. Recommendations?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I love me some corn chowder.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Scott Bakula posted:

I've got some chicken stock in the fridge I want to use for soup but can't think of what soup. I'd planned on doing ham and pea since I've left over ham but it turns out I've not got any peas. Recommendations?

what about a simple mushroom soup? I bet leftover ham wouldn't be bad in that!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Scott Bakula posted:

Ham and any lentil or bean would be good too. Or ham + pumpkin/sweet potato.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
In need of plating ideas and ideas in general;

I'm making a salad, with greens, soybeans and carrot, a teriyaki dressing and a mixture of sesame seeds/coconut/crushed baked onions to sprinkle over it.
That's going into a bowl, next to a plate of:
salmon and rice with some spring onions on top.

the actual question is:
How do I present the salmon?
Any additions?
Should I serve the rice in a little bowl on top of the plate, or on the plate itself?

I think there's something missing?

ThatSinkingFeeling
Dec 28, 2006

Goons be damned, I'm going for babes!
So I'm working on a 'citrus' chiffon cake. This was in part inspired from a Japanese Kit Kat bar (don't judge me!).

I want to include orange, lemon, and lime.

I'm looking to answer a simple, basic (I think it's basic) question...you balance the acidity with sugar, right?

I was asked to make this by a friend I owe a favor to, and I want to make a practice cake first.
Edit: Zest is the primary part of the plan. The juices are probably going to play around in my frosting...or something. There's a job for that somewhere.

ThatSinkingFeeling fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 21, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes, but too much acidity can throw off your leavening. If there's a decent amount of acid in there, then you would want to sub baking soda for the baking powder (assuming the recipe includes that). But don't forget that you can get citrus flavor without the acidity by using zest. Lots and lots of zest.

edit: thats not to say you don't want juice in there too, but don't forget the zest.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Scott Bakula posted:

if you aren't married to doing the ham, I had a fixin for escarole bean and turkey meatball soup and I am making it tonight.

If you want ham, maybe some kind of borscht??

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

paraquat posted:

In need of plating ideas and ideas in general;

I'm making a salad, with greens, soybeans and carrot, a teriyaki dressing and a mixture of sesame seeds/coconut/crushed baked onions to sprinkle over it.
That's going into a bowl, next to a plate of:
salmon and rice with some spring onions on top.

the actual question is:
How do I present the salmon?
Any additions?
Should I serve the rice in a little bowl on top of the plate, or on the plate itself?

I think there's something missing?

I would do it all on one large plate with a mound of rice, salmon leaned onto rice like a ramp, and then the salad on top over the salmon and spilling towards the back. Present with salmon facing the diner. Personally im not a fan of multiple plates for one dish, pretty much the only time I do it is if there's like a baked gratin or something like that where the extra dish is an inetgral part of the item itself. Also blah to a bowl of rice sitting next to a bowl of salad next to a plate of fish at every setting. and who wants to wash all that stuff? What you are missing (to me) in that dish is a sauce for the fish/rice and dropping your teriyaki salad on top should fix that as well. If your plates are big enough finish with a drizzle of the salad dressing around the food.

edit:

laptop keypad mspaint sketch of what i mean

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 21, 2013

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Saint Darwin posted:

I've seen those too, and I don't know much about wine, but doesn't it go pretty bad after you first crack it open unless you use it in the next few days?

The box is a bit of a better idea, but I have not noticed a big problem. It tastes about the same to me (lovely wine), and I will use it over the course of a few months. I just use it mostly to deg-laze pans and don't see a problem. Maybe someone out there has a definitive answer to the shelf life of cheap white wine, but for me, it doesn't taste like vinegar, and that is "good enough."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ended up not using the ham and did a sort of spiced cauliflower/fennel/broccoli soup. Thanks for the suggestions though

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Drimble Wedge posted:

I've seen many recipes which call for chicken, fish etc. to be soaked in buttermilk before being breaded. What does the extra acidity (?) do to improve the breading?

I'm not a food scientist so I can't give you a technical answer but I made buttermilk fried chicken for the first time last week and it made the batter noticeably more crisp and crunchy than normal fried chicken.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

My local supermarket just vastly improved it's fruit & veg selection, and I picked up some red chicory because it was cheap. What's the best way to cook it, and what does it go well with?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

pile of brown posted:

laptop keypad mspaint sketch of what i mean

Thanks so much, I can't believe I forgot about sauce, and I love the salad idea!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

As per the advice in here and a couple of friends, I bought a slow cooker! Thanks everyone!

I put my results in the pics of your food thread if anyone gives a poo poo.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Red pasta sauce is a great place to start with a slow cooker. Leave it on all day and it gets nice, dark red color, and when you get home from work your house smells delicious! And then you have a base sauce for at least a few meals.

Pulled pork might be a good place to go next.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Are canned oysters already cooked?

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

SERPUS posted:

Are canned oysters already cooked?

Yes. Any canned meat is going to be cooked.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Anyone know what this delicious candy is, and maybe where I can find it?

Mystery Candy by Ghost Cactus, on Flickr

It tastes earthy and spicy, like tasty grass. A lady at the grocery store gave me some and said "for energy!" I was there after work and I must have looked pooped.

Edit: I should have mentioned that it did not come from the grocery store it I was at, the lady just had some in her purse. I take candy from strangers.

Ghost Cactus fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 22, 2013

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
Red ginseng.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Semprini posted:

My local supermarket just vastly improved it's fruit & veg selection, and I picked up some red chicory because it was cheap. What's the best way to cook it, and what does it go well with?

I've never used it. Someone mentioned Ramsey's Ultimate Cooking Course today. In the first ep he does pan fry chicken with chicory and marsala wine. No recipe on their site though that I could find, so a video will have to do http://youtu.be/N9iWedik8hw?t=8m10s

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 22, 2013

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Slavvy posted:

I bought a slow cooker!

The brand label looks different but otherwise looks identical to mine. Well done.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

midori-a-gogo posted:

Red ginseng.

Yum yum! Thanks.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Squashy Nipples posted:

Red pasta sauce is a great place to start with a slow cooker. Leave it on all day and it gets nice, dark red color, and when you get home from work your house smells delicious! And then you have a base sauce for at least a few meals.

Pulled pork might be a good place to go next.

No way, pulled pork for sure.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Osso bucco is an easy slow-cooker dish. It's peasant food that seems fancy, and it's ridiculously delicious for what it is. The ingredients list might look a little scary, but really you're just chucking it all in and letting it simmer. I usually chop my veggies the night before and stick them in a ziploc in the fridge, so in the morning I can just pile everything in and set the cooker.

1 1/2 – 2 lbs beef shanks
3 cups beef broth
2 cups white wine
3/4 cups tomato sauce
2 cups chopped carrots
1 1/2 cups chopped celery
1 cup diced onion
1 fresh rosemary sprig
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper

(That will easily make two meals, and it's just as good the next day.)

Beef shanks are usually wicked cheap. Make sure you eat the marrow out of the bones. Serve over rice or with some nice crusty bread.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I've only seen the veal shanks sliced in 1-2" inch thick pieces (2 in a package) at the store. Where do I get those monster ones I see on Lidias Italy, the butcher?

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Iron Lung posted:

Not sure on a conversion rate, but check out some of the Momofuku Milk Bar cookie recipes, a lot of them use it. Any of the ones I've baked at home have turned out awesome and chewy with slightly crunchy edges!

Oooh, thanks! :D

ShadowStalker
Apr 14, 2006

Slavvy posted:

As per the advice in here and a couple of friends, I bought a slow cooker! Thanks everyone!

I put my results in the pics of your food thread if anyone gives a poo poo.

A small slow cooker is great for dips too. I picked up a mini that was on sale at target for $8 and we routinely use that for dips at parties.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
My father, sister and I are flying into San Francisco on Saturday to spend several days visiting family. I'm sure that they'll have lots of ideas on good places to eat, but I'd love to have the GWC opinion on what absolutely shouldn't be missed around there. I'd prefer places with entrees <$15 so as to not break the bank but if there's something absolutely phenomenal that's up around $25 I could certainly be convinced to check it out. :)

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

LorrdErnie posted:

My father, sister and I are flying into San Francisco on Saturday to spend several days visiting family. I'm sure that they'll have lots of ideas on good places to eat, but I'd love to have the GWC opinion on what absolutely shouldn't be missed around there. I'd prefer places with entrees <$15 so as to not break the bank but if there's something absolutely phenomenal that's up around $25 I could certainly be convinced to check it out. :)

When I was in SF a few months ago a friend took me here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/yamo-san-francisco . It's amazing Burmese food, staffed entirely by grumpy old ladies who begrudgingly served me one of my most favorite meals ever. Its a tiny place with a fairly small menu, but everything we got was amazing and my coat smelled like fry oil for at least 2 days. Totally worth it. The line can get pretty long since it's so small, but they move fairly quick and its totally worth the wait. Or just try to go a little early!

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Is there a Michelin Star thread anywhere?

I'm thinking about going to a starred restaurant in Tokyo somewhere this weekend but I'm not really sure if the stars are all that worth it, etc.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
So, I recently (yesterday) picked up around 10# of spareribs for a cookout this weekend that's going to run friday-monday. I'm scheduled to do dinner on Friday, and had planned on slow-smoking them for some lip-smackin' BBQ rib goodness. I discovered today that the couple doing dinner on Sunday had already been planning on doing ribs, and I'd really rather everybody not eat BBQ ribs two out of three days this weekend. Is there anything else I can turn these ribs into, besides just straight BBQ'd ribs? They're St. Louis cut, if it matters (rib tips removed). I have access to a full kitchen, a smokehouse, and a large wood fire grill.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ghost Cactus posted:

Yum yum! Thanks.

And it's Korean, though I imagine if you found some Chinese or Japanese kind it'd be the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

LorrdErnie posted:

Burma Superstar, Z&Y Szechuan, Tommy's Mexican.