Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Rejected Fate posted:

As far as I understand it that guy's apparently pretty popular on the forum, probably why they picked him.

Didn't even know it was going on. Oh well, at least it showed me a couple of screenshots to get a look at the map.

....Actually wait, I can just pause videos. ...Yeah, useless AAR.

The funny part was that the Ulm guy was once banned from the forums for trying to sell Ulm t-shirts. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Rejected Fate posted:

As far as I understand it that guy's apparently pretty popular on the forum, probably why they picked him.

LPs consisting entirely of fanfiction-esque writing that barely relates to gameplay is popular on the forums. Their AAR forums aren't exactly a gold standard. Also, I'm fairly sure criticism is against the rules because I haven't seen any even in the worst threads.

EDIT:
An example of one of their wonderful AARS:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?631494-AGOT-The-Mighty-Leech-lord

quote:

I am the lord of Dreadfort the most cunning person al over Westeros.Many tried to convince people that i am a cruel tyrrant but lady luck and some coincidences have taken care to not spread such terrible rumors.As it is evident i am generally competent with all the aspects of governing but i am exceptionally capable of intrigue which is the most important trait at our places especially if you wwant to ascend the ladder of feudal power.But as you all know the most important task of a lord is not to conquer or accumulate money but to take care of the continuation of his dynasty so at this place let me introduce you my bastard son and possible succesor.

Rannos22 fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 23, 2013

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
So I managed to get to America and start colonizing as Connacht but England which will not relent on the friggin wars was too strong and managed to take some from me in a war. Problem is, they won't accept any kind of peace for me no matter in what configuration and I've tried all I can. Their allies left but they won't relent until you get the hard white peace thing. If I scorch land does that reset the counter, and what is the counter anyway, 5 years of no battles? I'm just trying to hold my remaining provinces together but since I've had my capital occupied for years I'm probably hosed. Also how do you shift capitals, I get 2 stability and 1000 gold but then its like you can't have your capital surrounded by heartland. What the hell does that mean?

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Rannos22 posted:

LPs consisting entirely of fanfiction-esque writing that barely relates to gameplay is popular on the forums. Their AAR forums aren't exactly a gold standard. Also, I'm fairly sure criticism is against the rules because I haven't seen any even in the worst threads.

EDIT:
An example of one of their wonderful AARS:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?631494-AGOT-The-Mighty-Leech-lord

As written by George R. R. Martin

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

They don't sell SR2020, but I'm sure the Cold War version is just as bad.

That's a regional issue. I bought SR2020 Gold off Steam while I was in London, but I can't find it on Steam now that I'm in Asia. Relatedly, I can no longer see the Total War games on Steam in Asia, which sucks.

So yeah, Steam sells SR2020. If we should avoid Gamersgate because they sold SR2020, we should also avoid Steam, and presumably most any distribution system out there aside from brick and mortar stores who don't have the space to pack old, poo poo games.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

wikipe tama posted:

So I managed to get to America and start colonizing as Connacht but England which will not relent on the friggin wars was too strong and managed to take some from me in a war. Problem is, they won't accept any kind of peace for me no matter in what configuration and I've tried all I can. Their allies left but they won't relent until you get the hard white peace thing. If I scorch land does that reset the counter, and what is the counter anyway, 5 years of no battles? I'm just trying to hold my remaining provinces together but since I've had my capital occupied for years I'm probably hosed. Also how do you shift capitals, I get 2 stability and 1000 gold but then its like you can't have your capital surrounded by heartland. What the hell does that mean?

Scorching land doesn't reset the counter.

It's five years of no battles, yep.

To move your capital, it can't be connected to any other core provinces.

In conclusion, it sounds like you need some allies!

The Newman
Oct 17, 2003
unconstructive critic
After seeing lots of people get Amazon refunds on the hilarious disaster of Sim City 5, I wonder if they have such generous policies towards older games as well. They certainly are moving up my list of preferred vendors based on that stance.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
V2 HoD 3.02 final patch (as opposed to beta) delayed due to the team falling "sick" :(

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?686540-Heart-of-Darkness-3.02-BETA-patch&p=15503971&viewfull=1#post15503971

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Podcat has bern sick all week..

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

pdxjohan posted:

You guys sure seem to get sick a lot.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

James The 1st posted:

You guys sure seem to get sick a lot.

They got that EUIV fever.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Fertility: -10.0%

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

pdxjohan posted:

Arrange for a trained medicus to attend to him.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kersch posted:

Arrange for a trained medicus to attend to him.

At this point in the development cycle they may not have the 25 ducats to spare.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Qwo posted:

Fertility: -10.0%

Wouldn't that be a health penalty rather than a fertility one?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Phlegmish posted:

At this point in the development cycle they may not have the 25 ducats to spare.

Not worth it, Podcat is a 7-9-9.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Tomn posted:

That's a regional issue. I bought SR2020 Gold off Steam while I was in London, but I can't find it on Steam now that I'm in Asia. Relatedly, I can no longer see the Total War games on Steam in Asia, which sucks.

So yeah, Steam sells SR2020. If we should avoid Gamersgate because they sold SR2020, we should also avoid Steam, and presumably most any distribution system out there aside from brick and mortar stores who don't have the space to pack old, poo poo games.

No, they don't sell it. Looks like they used to. It's not exactly heroic for a dealer to stop selling a known defective product, but better than nothing.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

No, they don't sell it. Looks like they used to. It's not exactly heroic for a dealer to stop selling a known defective product, but better than nothing.

What would be heroic then? Fully refunding every single purchaser even if they don't ask for a refund and refusing to stock that company's products anymore?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Now, that's interesting. Further research revealed that Steam does not, in fact, sell Supreme Ruler 2020 anymore, but it has nothing to do with them deciding that it's too defective to continue selling. It is, in fact, because they ran out of CD keys.

Of course, arguably for a good game Steam would probably have made the effort to fix this - this being an old and not-great game, they apparently decided it wasn't worth the trouble. Either way, had it not been for the lack of CD keys, it seems likely that Steam would have happily continued to sell the game as long as it could run on modern systems, given that this CD key issue and the removal of the game only cropped up last year.

So from a certain perspective, Gamersgate is actually more heroic than Steam in that they're actually responding to technical issues and bothering to fix them! Everybody stop buying from Steam, guys, you never know when they'll stop supporting your games.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Three Moves Ahead podcasts latest episode was about Victoria 2/Heart of Darkness. They let it off the hook with regards to the UI way too easy, but they hit a lot of salient points as far as Victoria being "the most Important strategy game in history since the original Civilization"

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That's quite the statement.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
As far as AAR goes, criticism is thin on the ground (unless asked for, and oh boy, is that a mistake).

A good hint towards you being terrible is a lack of response, but if you're writing about something people have interest in and there isnt much of it.. then all roads leads to insanity.

Either way, I'd be wary of AAR's that are detail or feature heavy for a Paradox game before they go gold. They'd need to start a good few months in advance and who knows what major feature would be raved about in an AAR then scrapped because it couldn't be done right. The Paradox Forums hardly need a valid excuse to go batshit in the first place, let alone giving them actual material.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bishop Rodan posted:

Wouldn't that be a health penalty rather than a fertility one?
The games/patches are obviously babies in this analogy.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Three Moves Ahead podcasts latest episode was about Victoria 2/Heart of Darkness. They let it off the hook with regards to the UI way too easy, but they hit a lot of salient points as far as Victoria being "the most Important strategy game in history since the original Civilization"

That's definitely a quote to forward to the PR manager.

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
MotE is 50% off on GG today, if any of you can still bring yourselves to give business to those low down double dealing hogswindlers.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

pdxjohan posted:

See my posts from last page to correct future disasterpieces because of "popular forum figureheads" that end up creating awful things.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Rudi Starnberg posted:

MotE is 50% off on GG today, if any of you can still bring yourselves to give business to those low down double dealing hogswindlers.

But what if they don't refund me after I beat the game? :ohdear:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Necroneocon posted:

See my posts from last page to correct future disasterpieces because of "popular forum figureheads" that end up creating awful things.

You do understand that you not liking Ulm doesn't mean no one in the world likes it, right? If you don't like his AARs feel free not to read them, but other people do.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 23, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Beamed posted:

But what if they don't refund me after I beat the game? :ohdear:

I suppose the actual question is: although the thread likes MotE when it came out, who still plays it?

e: also Wargame:ALB is currently fulfilling all my war-related multiplayer needs so my next paradox purchase will probably be HOI4 Vicky 2 when it goes on a full bundle sale.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

You do understand that you not liking Ulm doesn't mean no one in the world likes it, right? If you don't like his AARs feel free not to read them, but other people do.

I don't think you "get" somethingawful. Turning your nose up at things other people like is kind of the thing here.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Darkrenown posted:

Some people like Justin Bieber too. Some people liked your Hitler tutorial. Some people like to huff poo poo to get themselves high.

It doesn't mean it's Good. Or informative. Or Worthwhile.

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't think you "get" somethingawful. Turning your nose up at things other people like is kind of the thing here.

Meanwhile, some people turn their nose up to make it brown.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Necroneocon posted:

Some people like Justin Bieber too. Some people liked your Hitler tutorial. Some people like to huff poo poo to get themselves high.

It doesn't mean it's Good. Or informative. Or Worthwhile.

So don't read it? Problem solved! Happy to help you.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 23, 2013

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

So I'm working (:clegg:) on some sort of Greek city state themed Not-Europe map for CK2, and I'm wondering if anybody versed in geography can give me suggestions on landmarks, mountains, swamps, lakes and such things like that. I'd also like to know if the map makes sense geographically, I want it relatively realistic.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/draft.bmp

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 23, 2013

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Darkrenown posted:

So don't read it? Problem solved!

I'm trying to help you not produce poo poo. "So don't read it" is just a smug and annoying way of ignoring criticism.

Let me put it another way, if a bunch of players told you that "x" mechanic in one of your games was bad and doesn't work, would you say "Well don't play it! Problem solved"?

Necroneocon fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 23, 2013

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Necroneocon posted:

I'm trying to help you not produce poo poo. "So don't read it" is just a smug and annoying way of ignoring criticism.

Your criticism has so far been pretty smug and annoying to begin with is all.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Necroneocon posted:

No, you're presenting your subjective opinion as objective fact. You don't like something, therefore it's poo poo and no one should read it. It's not something you paid for, it's not something you're forced to read, you had to specifically go to our forum and click his AAR to read it: If you don't like it just don't go through those steps, it's not difficult.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

Darkrenown posted:

No, you're presenting your subjective opinion as objective fact. You don't like something, therefore it's poo poo and no one should read it. It's not something you paid for, it's not something you're forced to read, you had to specifically go to our forum and click his AAR to read it: If you don't like it just don't go through those steps, it's not difficult.

I'm not the only one who has said this. You have seen other people said the same thing.

As you can see though, the goon brigade that sucks up to devs have woken up so I guess we're going nowhere. Keep going in the same wrong direction. I tried to suggest better people to do AARs that provide useful information for your upcoming games but I guess if you want monkeycheese comics, go for it. v :) v

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Necroneocon posted:

Let me put it another way, if a bunch of players told you that "x" mechanic in one of your games was bad and doesn't work, would you say "Well don't play it! Problem solved"?

Not reading an AAR to not playing the game is a pretty huge leap. How about you just not read the AAR? Problem solved.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

This is a stupid conversation and the only good advice that has come out of it is not to read the Paradox forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I'm not a fan of the Ulm stuff, but he's pretty popular on the Paradox forums so I don't really see the issue.

(My favorite thing about the Ulm guy is that he used to have a gallery with commissioned drawings of nations being embodied by :nws: girls with absurdly huge breasts :nws: on his site which is quite the thing :geno: )

• Locked thread