Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
The host that is running our mumble VM is getting retired so I will be migrating it today after raid (or 12am if there's no raid), expect 30ish minutes of downtime.

Nothing needs to be changed from your end, it'll have the same Host/IP/Usernames/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirtan
May 17, 2011

Demon Theory posted:

So there is legit open world PvP, even if it is grief oriented?

OWPVP is really bad in Rift. So much of Rift is doing things like Zone Events and if there aren't many of your side on, you won't get completion credit for the event because you spent the entire event dying and respawning. Just play Conquest or Warfronts for your fix.

I say this as a guy who leveled to 50 and did a great deal of progression through a PVP shard. It's terrible.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Been playing this for a few days, make as well join the guild. Character name is Zokari.

shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011

Demon Theory posted:

So there is legit open world PvP, even if it is grief oriented?

i originally leveled to 60 on seastone before transferring off because of how annoying it was trying to farm world events as guardian.

it's not really grief oriented, more like perpetually irritating. the world pvp in this game isn't particularly fun given the awful balance and lack of support from trion, and since the builds are so fragmented (and you're pigeonholed into a certain build pretty often) you'll end up doing pvp while in a farming or pve tank/dps build, which is boring as all hell.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I apparently have an internet tube blockage tonight, so won't be able to raid :(

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
Since I'm a goddamned knucklehead, I've started a new mage to figure out the game again. Since I need people to talk to and ask stupid questions, invite Malephina, please.

Voids
Sep 5, 2006
Picked this up again over the weekend, and having some fun. Could use an invite on Mortai if possible

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Decided to try this again, made a cleric named Drythe and will need an invite.

Drythe fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 23, 2013

Dazh
Jul 9, 2008
Going to give this another shot after a year and a half, ingame as Zhaada.

aliasedman
Aug 14, 2011

Played this solo very briefly last year. Looking forward to jumping back in with a guild.

In as Involver.

e: I'm unable to join any custom channels for some reason? Guessing it's a trial account limitation or something.

aliasedman fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 23, 2013

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Got it, thanks!

LIMBO KING fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 27, 2013

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Um...so, the Raptr copy of Storm Legion does not come with a free month, apparently? Tried logging in just now and it told me my character is too high a level for "Rift Lite" which I have no idea what that is.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Correct, the free month is only for new accounts.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Here's hoping F2P fills the later pre-SL zones up a bit. I remember that was what killed the game for me when I played it ages ago. I got to the 45+ zones and was literally the only one in them for days at a time.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

Correct, the free month is only for new accounts.

Well accounts that have never subbed. My ancient trial account added the free month just fine.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Anyone else having trouble logging in? I make it to the character select screen but when I chose my character and attempt to get into the game world the game just locks up. Never had the issue before.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I forgot how pretty this game is. After reinstalling I turned everything up to max and walked out of Meridian and the sun was low in the sky and the lighting effects were was just beautiful.

Are the pre-defined Purposes worth following or am I better off just making up my own spec? I'm not fussed about being super optimal for leveling so I'm hoping it's viable to just invent my own thing. I want to make a kind of glass cannon mage with some healing so I was looking at something like Elementalist/Chloromancer/Archon.

Is there a good website with tips on how to make a build?

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 23, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Berious posted:

Well accounts that have never subbed. My ancient trial account added the free month just fine.

I had an old account that I used to subscribe with. I didn't have SL but after doing the Raptr giveaway I was given SL and 30 days of play time.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Doh004 posted:

I had an old account that I used to subscribe with. I didn't have SL but after doing the Raptr giveaway I was given SL and 30 days of play time.

Yeah, from what I read, before this the codes were giving away 30 days to all accounts for a while (and they even stacked, so you could throw on 4+ codes in one account like some guy on Reddit who did that, before Raptr put his IP on a restricted list or something so he wasn't able to do it again on new Raptr accounts), but they changed it so that the codes don't give 30 days anymore. Trion also took away all extra stacked time, though they did leave people with the first 30 days.

Midrena fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 23, 2013

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tunga posted:

I forgot how pretty this game is. After reinstalling I turned everything up to max and walked out of Meridian and the sun was low in the sky and the lighting effects were was just beautiful.

Are the pre-defined Purposes worth following or am I better off just making up my own spec? I'm not fussed about being super optimal for leveling so I'm hoping it's viable to just invent my own thing. I want to make a kind of glass cannon mage with some healing so I was looking at something like Elementalist/Chloromancer/Archon.

Is there a good website with tips on how to make a build?

A lot of the third-party websites give guides for how to make specs for end-game PvP or PvE. The class-specific guides sections on the official forums will often have a few grinding specs though.

If you have storm legion Harbinger/Chloro, going 16 tops into chloro for nature's touch (but with LGV up) and the putting everything else into Harbinger is pretty good. Note that chloro is going to be a lot more effective at healing if you can deal life damage and that even if you don't plan on running Harbinger as a main soul it's a very good zero point soul thanks to the sword buff.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Midrena posted:

Yeah, from what I read, before this the codes were giving away 30 days to all accounts for a while (and they even stacked, so you could throw on 4+ codes in one account like some guy on Reddit who did that before Raptr put his IP on a restricted list or something so he wasn't able to do it anymore on new Raptr accounts he made), but they changed it so that the codes don't give 30 days anymore. Trion also took away all extra stacked time, though they did leave people with the first 30 days.

Edited: I grammar so good.

Oh! I was unaware they had changed it since I did it.

Suckas :smugdog:

RobertDanger
Dec 4, 2003
Here comes danger!

I just got all my raptr code stuff done and I am on deepwood now. My character's name is owchinius.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Could someone explain how the crosserver and Ghunt stuff works for someone that's never been beyond level 50 or touched SL content before?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Verranicus posted:

Could someone explain how the crosserver and Ghunt stuff works for someone that's never been beyond level 50 or touched SL content before?

So, basically you can form groups with people on other shards. This means when they zone into an instance you get to zone into the same instance as them. What this also means is that with the Tier 3 PA summon ability you can summon someone else in your group (on another shard) to a (hunt) rift on your shard. They don't even need a green card or a visa!

Great Hunt and Hunt rifts are just a crossover between onslaughts and rifts. You defend an objective with a group of players and receive rift rewards for completion. They are pretty fun at first and rapidly get mind-numbing especially when people don't know how to read. Also Holgor.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Zoness posted:

So, basically you can form groups with people on other shards.
In theory, does this also make guilds effectively cross-shard?

Also: As the OP author for the Defiance thread, I have to say that seeing Hellbugs in a rift last night was a pretty :catdrugs: moment for me. I had no idea.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Kenny Rogers posted:

Also: As the OP author for the Defiance thread, I have to say that seeing Hellbugs in a rift last night was a pretty :catdrugs: moment for me. I had no idea.

There are Hellbug mounts too. No idea how to get them though.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Tsurupettan posted:

They drop in the rifts, I think the 4th and final stages have a chance to give a rare reward.

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Tsurupettan posted:

They drop from hellbug rifts. There are pets too!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Now that the game is going F2P I'm finally convinced to pick up Storm Legion and re-sub. *shrug* Looks like a night of downloading, boys!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kenny Rogers posted:

I believe you don't retain a guild tag if you actually shard transfer a character but you can earn raid firsts for that shard while raiding with your guild on its main shard.

No Quarter did this to some guild on I think Faeblight? (Man I don't remember that far back) and tried to do it to us.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Rianeva posted:

They drop from hellbug rifts. There are pets too!

If anyone wants some of these really easily, you just need a group of people and a level 50 with Major Fire Lure or whatever it's called. Everyone mentors down and goes to silverwood and rushes tears - if it's hellbugs you fight, if it's not, ignore it and keep going. With enough people you will never run out of tears because it will always spawn at least one.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Mormon Star Wars posted:

If anyone wants some of these really easily, you just need a group of people and a level 50 with Major Fire Lure or whatever it's called. Everyone mentors down and goes to silverwood and rushes tears - if it's hellbugs you fight, if it's not, ignore it and keep going. With enough people you will never run out of tears because it will always spawn at least one.

Make sure to do it in silverwood because don't pollute our clean defiant lands with horrible rift trash by being a jerk and leaving rifts open.

Seriously leaving major rifts open in a starter zone is kind of a dick move but it's being done to pubby guardians so v:shobon:v.

(When mentoring came out I'd open major air rifts in freemarch and then help people clear them on an alt haha).

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

For people (like me) coming back from having played briefly after launch - how does this Mentoring gig work?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Zoness posted:

Make sure to do it in silverwood because don't pollute our clean defiant lands with horrible rift trash by being a jerk and leaving rifts open.

Seriously leaving major rifts open in a starter zone is kind of a dick move but it's being done to pubby guardians so v:shobon:v.

(When mentoring came out I'd open major air rifts in freemarch and then help people clear them on an alt haha).

What did air rifts do?

Also apparently you can do it with minor rifts too!

quote:

For people (like me) coming back from having played briefly after launch - how does this Mentoring gig work?

Right click on your portrait and "Set Ascended Mentor Level" - you can be any level lowers than your current level -5. If you complete IA content or rifts while mentored, it gives you level-appropriate rewards instead. (If you are level 38 and do the Freemarch IAs, instead of getting Corrupted Sourcestones you will get Vile Sourcestones, for example.)

zenemarch
Oct 20, 2012
Today I heard about free to play happening soon, so I went ahead and bought Storm Legion. After launch I had a 50 mage, but I'm starting fresh with a rogue for the expansion, I've always been kind of interested in rogue tanking. Looking for invites for Munir and Rahat.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

A wonderful goon was good enough to point me towards Rifts after the NWO debacle. After getting a mage to level 8 I can safely say that it is a beautiful game and I have no clue what's going on.

A problem I've been having that I haven't seen in other games or discussed is my latency jumping all over hell and back. It'll be sub-100 than spike above 4000 then drop to somewhere around 500 then spike again, drop again, etc. Just all over the place. I'm in the US and playing on the Deepwood shard and it happens whether the game is updating or not.

Anybody run into something like this before or am I just special little snowflake?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I don't have latency issues, but I'm also not the right person to talk to since I'm literally like 5 miles away from the data center that the servers are in. :v:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

TouchyMcFeely posted:

A wonderful goon was good enough to point me towards Rifts after the NWO debacle. After getting a mage to level 8 I can safely say that it is a beautiful game and I have no clue what's going on.

A problem I've been having that I haven't seen in other games or discussed is my latency jumping all over hell and back. It'll be sub-100 than spike above 4000 then drop to somewhere around 500 then spike again, drop again, etc. Just all over the place. I'm in the US and playing on the Deepwood shard and it happens whether the game is updating or not.

Anybody run into something like this before or am I just special little snowflake?
You're totally a special snowflake.

Neither of the two of us have had any issue like this at all.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I'm playing (have been playing) from Germany and never had any issues with ping spikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Yeah it's been happening in Tempest Bay but doesn't seem to happen during raid instances. I'm guessing it's just server load with resubs.

• Locked thread