Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Is there a rule to how much records you should sit vertically against one another? Recently got some shelving setup, and though they are all vertical it is pretty tight feeling. Could this do some longterm damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Like Me In Reverse said, you're looking at 350 listings and sorting by highest price. Only 5 of those 350 sold for more than $200.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Peacebone posted:

Is there a rule to how much records you should sit vertically against one another? Recently got some shelving setup, and though they are all vertical it is pretty tight feeling. Could this do some longterm damage?

My father has kept his records in milk crates for the past four decades and none of them are warped, so this is the model of storage I adapted. I keep enough in each crate to have them leaning back at a 75° angle or so, this way it's easier to browse through them. I am no expert, though, so it may be safe to keep them in spaces longer than a milk crate.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Peacebone posted:

I don't think I understand completely what you're asking here, but I'll take a shot.

No. There is no rule. You should try to store them in a vertical upright position to prevent warping, but beyond that, it wouldn't matter. As far as tightness go, if it's too tight, you could possibly do damage from pulling them out and placing them back in, but you'll probably just gently caress up your jackets doing that. But as long as it isn't so tight that you can't get it out, it should be fine.

I think it's helpful to remember this. A lot of people talk this way, but honestly, vinyl records are not some super-fragile medium that will break if you look at it the wrong way. As long as you take some minimal care of them, they will last you a long time and sound good. As long as you try to keep them out of super-hot places, direct sunlight, and store them vertically, they'll be fine.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cemetry Gator posted:

A lot of people talk this way, but honestly, vinyl records are not some super-fragile medium that will break if you look at it the wrong way. As long as you take some minimal care of them, they will last you a long time and sound good. As long as you try to keep them out of super-hot places, direct sunlight, and store them vertically, they'll be fine.

Heathen scum!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

Heathen scum!

Oh there you go again with your shellac superiority front. Yes, we all know. Shellac was good enough for a Pre-World-War-II society, it should be good enough for us today. The future is in petro-chemicals my friend. You can't do this with shellac!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhciQxeST20

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Oh there you go again with your shellac superiority front. Yes, we all know. Shellac was good enough for a Pre-World-War-II society, it should be good enough for us today. The future is in petro-chemicals my friend. You can't do this with shellac!

I was sitting here watching that and just thinking "Oh god, don't!". I never knew that's why they were called dynaflex. That being said, I would also never attempt to bend on of them either. Also:

:siren::siren::siren:NEVER TOUCH THE PLAYING SURFACE!:siren::siren::siren:

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

Peacebone posted:

Is there a rule to how much records you should sit vertically against one another?

1 foot is the recommended running length between shelf dividers.

:siren:Dynaflex > Dynagroove:siren:

also found this in a sleeve one time

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Cemetry Gator posted:

I want that album.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

1 foot is the recommended running length between shelf dividers.

:siren:Dynaflex > Dynagroove:siren:

I love that reduced thickness is a selling point here.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Ron Burgundy posted:

Was it in one of those hi-fi records intended to demonstrate the amazing sonics of one's stereo setup? I kind of love those things. I have this one...

...and it really does sound like ping pong balls are bouncing and zinging around the room. Almost creepily realistic.

e:

resident posted:

What is the best way to move vinyl without destroying the sleeves or warping the records? I'm going on a 3000 mile road trip with my collection, and I want to make sure they are cozy.

Bags Unlimited sells all kinds of storage boxes and carrying cases that work really well. Toss in a blankee, a Glo-Worm, and a cup of cocoa, and they'll be cozy as hell.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 20, 2013

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

izationalizer posted:

Was it in one of those hi-fi records intended to demonstrate the amazing sonics of one's stereo setup? I kind of love those things. I have this one...

...and it really does sound like ping pong balls are bouncing and zinging around the room. Almost creepily realistic.

I'd be really interested in finding a mono-pressing of that album, but it looks like Ebay is coming up nil.

Also, I'm annoyed. I got a 12" of New Order's Confusion, and it skips like a motherfucker. I only paid 3 bucks, and frankly, the time it would take me to go back and get satisfaction would end up making the whole trip not worth it. You know what I'm saying. They've been good to me otherwise.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

izationalizer posted:

Was it in one of those hi-fi records intended to demonstrate the amazing sonics of one's stereo setup? I kind of love those things.

Not that one in particular but I do love collecting stereo and quad demonstration records. They usually have a nice mix of high quality stereo recordings form a range of genres.

If I recall correctly the slip fell out of this bad boy which is strange considering this was a premium offering from RCA and not one of the budget labels like Camden/Victrola which were the first to go dynaflex.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'd be really interested in finding a mono-pressing of that album, but it looks like Ebay is coming up nil.

I always thought the whole point of the "ping pong percussion" fad was to tack some crazy stereo percussion effects onto tracks. I doubt a mono version would have ever been produced.

whooping crane
Feb 12, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

As long as you try to keep them out of super-hot places, direct sunlight, and store them vertically, they'll be fine.

Wait what's wrong with horizontally.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
They get warped from the pressure, don't do it.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Ron Burgundy posted:

They get warped from the pressure, don't do it.

I always hear this but my dad had stacks of records stored horizontally in a basement for 30+ years and none of them were warped when I went through and cleaned them one summer. I imagine it had something to do with the terrible shape the jackets were in though, which probably wouldn't have been as bad had they been stored vertically.

I mean as long as they're stacked relatively neatly I find it hard to believe that a few tens of pounds of pressure can warp a record.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I think things like extreme heat cycles can exacerbate the problem, but I've never honestly tried. I think someone just told me when I first started collecting "don't stack them, they get hosed" and kind of took it as gospel.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
It'll definitely cause ring wear though.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Stacking will result in rings on the covers after a long time. It also makes them harder to browse through and pick one out. There's just no reason to store them that way, but don't be afraid if you have a few records laying flat on your turntable or something.

I'm not sure how they would get warped, I guess into a slight concave/vex bowl shape? I've never seen a record get warped from being stacked, even in stacks that have been sitting still for 30 years. The covers will get messed up though, especially in a moist environment.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I was diggin thru some old stuff as my rents are moving and I had to come down to check on some old boxes and inside I found a old rear end White Zombie EP I bought at a convention. I almost poo poo my pants! I hadn't seen this thing forever and thought I had lost it! One side is God of Thunder live and the other is Thrust! which was a early version of the song from La Sexorcisto.

http://www.discogs.com/White-Zombie-Zombie-Kiss/release/3774029

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFqV8FE95bI

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
For those wanting Relationship of Command but not wanting to shell out for the RSD version, the band announced on its Facebook a standard edition on August 6th (and apparently the 5th in the UK)

Pre-Orders available on this UK site. Looks to include the bonus track track Catacombs and still be a double LP on traditional black vinyl.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

If Catacombs was released on the majority of the versions of that album, is it really a bonus track?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Six-Degrees-Inner-Turbulence-Vinyl/dp/B00CFFT7U2

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is finally getting a vinyl release, and it's on Music on Vinyl too I love that label :woop:

edit: Discoooooogs! :argh: - Round 2

He didn't even send the right album, I was supposed to get Earthbound and ended up with this :smith:

maybe I should just stop buying King Crimson albums on the internet

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 23, 2013

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I feel your pain when it comes to King Crimson albums. Even in real life when you find them they're always in horrible shape. Well I take that back, my copies of Beat and Discipline are in pretty nice shape, but anything before that I've found has looked horrible.

For example I found a copy of Islands one time and in my excitement I bought it without really looking at it...

It had a loving chunk taken out of it of course.

Geez, King Crimson fans from the 70s must of been an abusive bunch or something.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Personperson14 posted:

I feel your pain when it comes to King Crimson albums. Even in real life when you find them they're always in horrible shape. Well I take that back, my copies of Beat and Discipline are in pretty nice shape, but anything before that I've found has looked horrible.

For example I found a copy of Islands one time and in my excitement I bought it without really looking at it...

It had a loving chunk taken out of it of course.

Geez, King Crimson fans from the 70s must of been an abusive bunch or something.

I have actually been really lucky. I've got original pressings of Lizard, Starless & Bible Black and In The Wake Of Poseidon that would probably rate as VG+ and a copy of Islands that plays well, but the inner sleeve is torn in two. I got them all locally, and the only ones I've ordered online so far have been disasters (see here)

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Personperson14 posted:

Well you see, they were schizoid men, intent on destroying your 21st century vinyl-buying experience by raping their innocent records with barbed wire and napalm fire.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I just realised that I never got my T-shirt and Sea of the Dying Dhow album from *shels that I ordered back in February or March... I emailed Mehdi, hopefully they figure this out or refund me :ohdear:

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Has anyone had a friend come up and say "Hey, I found these and thought of you" and then handed you some Herb Alpert records? I know I'm not the only one. Surprisingly, Whipped Cream wasn't one of them but I did get a duplicate but it's in better shape than the one I have. The school my friend works at has a library full of records that nobody ever uses. I told him to dig through the jazz section at least and skip the country and musicals. I really can't see why some grade schoolers would ever dig through the vinyl section during their library period.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I Might Be Adam posted:

Has anyone had a friend come up and say "Hey, I found these and thought of you" and then handed you some Herb Alpert records?

Oh god, yes. My mother-in-law dumped a co-worker's dead mother's collection on me. Herb Alpert, those big band box sets, Arthur Fiedler, etc. Most ended up being donated to Goodwill, but I did pull out a few with cool/goofy/kitschy covers, most notably this:

Unfortunately, it was just the jacket with no record inside.

Wilbur Swain
Sep 13, 2007

These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/05/listen-to-radiohead-velvet-underground-as-played-on-wooden-vinyl-records/

We are living in a golden age.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I don't know, I think the digital instrumentation of Radiohead's Idioteque would really benefit from using pine, for a warmer, richer sound.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I don't know, I think the digital instrumentation of Radiohead's Idioteque would really benefit from using pine, for a warmer, richer sound.

I only use Pledge to clean my records.

edit: They're not Vinyls, they're Woodies.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I can just feel the elitism oozing off of those, erm, Woodies, especially when you start to get into wood types and all that jazz.

nadabolt
May 17, 2009

blugu64 posted:

I only use Pledge to clean my records.

edit: They're not Vinyls, they're Woodies.

A cool trick is using wood glue to clear out any lingering sawdust

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

nadabolt posted:

A cool trick is using wood glue to clear out any lingering sawdust

I decided to look up wood glue record cleaning videos and found someone who's delusional about his copy of The Doors:
http://vimeo.com/40170449#t=361

Everyone dig out your copies because you're sitting on a goldmine!

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Haha I love when people say "going on eBay for..." which is a round about way of saying "Some nutjob has it listed unsold for..."

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Third Man with another pair of excellent releases including pre-DEATH material:

http://thirdmanstore.com/featured/detroit-double-down-bundle

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

wa27 posted:

I decided to look up wood glue record cleaning videos and found someone who's delusional about his copy of The Doors:
http://vimeo.com/40170449#t=361

Everyone dig out your copies because you're sitting on a goldmine!

That's an 80's Elektra label on his record too, so it's not even an original pressing like he claims. An original copy of that album would have the brown label.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

wa27 posted:

delusional

Not sure if this has been posted before (although I can't find it), but speaking of delusional, here's the self-proclaimed owner of the "world's largest record collection":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j7F_4S2lgM

Maybe it is the largest--I have no idea, and it is pretty loving large--but he has highly delusional assumptions about its value. He listed it on eBay several years back for something like $3,000,000. Unsurprisingly, there were no bidders. I remember reading a post on another forum from a guy who had actually been to the place. Apparently, he (that is, Paul Mawhinney) is the kind of guy who thinks his Hall and Oates records are worth $25 apiece.

"Who knows what it's worth? How can something that old not be worth a lot?!"

Also, regarding record collections that really are goldmines, Joe Bussard is an interesting character:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGgvqlCSv1o

Back in the 50s-60s, he travelled throughout the American South, visiting tiny, dirt-poor towns and asking people (mostly black people) whether they had any pre-WWII jazz, blues, and/or country 78s they'd be willing to sell him. He's been criticized for paying them like 10 cents apiece for Black Pattis* and original Robert Johnsons, which some view as exploitation. The critics have a valid point, but it's also true that he has preserved a lot of vinyl/music history that may have otherwise been lost or thrown away. So it's complicated, I guess.

* Briefly featured on Ghost World if I remember correctly, and also the basis for Yazoo's labels.

izationalizer fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 24, 2013