Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010
Victor Mair, a general Cool Guy with interesting things to say about China and the Chinese language in particular, had a nice take on the incident: http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=4637

That said, while I generally agree that the student was being dumb and overreacting, having actually watched the video, Biden's tone seemed a shade over the top. Also "American" food is bad, but in a big city it really isn't that hard to get non-bland food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ryan8723 posted:

Coming from an environmental engineering background, I can honestly say that China has a looming ecological disaster that will make everything in the world look like the garden of Eden. Even if they did perfect everything and went all out, there are still a billion+ people living in an area that can't support a billion people. They don't have enough resources to keep that kind of population going, which means they have to rape the land to continue.

India has the exact same problem. The level of population in both of those countries is massively unsustainable.

So when should all us expats leave to avoid the anti-everything riots?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Baby formula news. Looks like now that HK has cracked down, people are moving on to Singapore.

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/stomp/sgseen/this_urban_jungle/1799452/chinese_parents_pay_up_to_200_for_milk_powder_from_singapore.html

quote:

Parents from China are willing to buy milk powder from Singapore at a premium and shipping it back to their country, following a series of food safety scandals.

Shin Min Daily News reported that some parents in China have been paying double to buy baby formula from Singapore, and are willing to pay up to $200 to have the product couriered to their home, reported the Shin Min Daily News.

Chinese buyers have been snapping up baby formula from other countries following tainted milk scandals in their domestic market. For example, shelves were cleared of milk powder in Hong Kong following the Sanlu scandal involving milk tainted with melamine.

Madam Tan, a Chinese national who has been living in Singapore for more than 10 years, told Shin Min that she has been sending baby formula to a friend in China who gave birth two months ago.

She ships 12 cans of the product each month, revealing that it costs $90 to deliver the product by sea and $190, by air.

She said that her friend does not mind the extra costs as she believes that the products from Singapore are of higher quality.

Another Chinese citizen living in Singapore told the evening paper that she sends baby formula to her brother in China. She added that several of her friends are also doing the same for their friends and relatives.

Shin Min also reported that there is a website set up to help Chinese nationals living in Singapore who are not familiar with the shipping procedures for the product.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Honestly who can blame them? When you find out baby food* has poison in it, you're not going to buy the poison for your baby.

*if you've been told your whole life that baby food comes from a factory and your boobs will get all weird if you even think about breastfeeding

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

dilbertschalter posted:

Victor Mair, a general Cool Guy with interesting things to say about China and the Chinese language in particular, had a nice take on the incident: http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=4637

That said, while I generally agree that the student was being dumb and overreacting, having actually watched the video, Biden's tone seemed a shade over the top. Also "American" food is bad, but in a big city it really isn't that hard to get non-bland food.

Why is he putting it in pinyin? That is so damned annoying.

Also 100 some years later, we can stop talking about where those loan words came from and how they're not native China words or blablabla. drat, a year is enough to make a word, those words are all Chinese completely and totally now. It's an interesting thing to note, but it doesn't explain that kid's attitude, ie, the kid was nitpicking because he was offended. The origin of the word nation is not relevant. Everyone in China uses it with the same flexibility as the English word.

Barto fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 23, 2013

ryan8723
May 18, 2004

Trust me, I read it on TexAgs.

Arglebargle III posted:

So when should all us expats leave to avoid the anti-everything riots?

Honestly? Now. The pollution in some areas is so bad that I can't imagine it continuing like it has for much longer. I guess it all depends on how tolerant you are of breathing in dangerous quantities of PM2.5 or running out of water. China is still massively expanding industry so it's only going to get worse.

dilbertschalter
Jan 12, 2010

Barto posted:

Why is he putting it in pinyin? That is so damned annoying.

Also 100 some years later, we can stop talking about where those loan words came from and how they're not native China words or blablabla. drat, a year is enough to make a word, those words are all Chinese completely and totally now. It's an interesting thing to note, but it doesn't explain that kid's attitude, ie, the kid was nitpicking because he was offended. The origin of the word nation is not relevant. Everyone in China uses it with the same flexibility as the English word.

Well, given that in the actual original post the student goes on about the difference between nation and country and gives a couple examples as "proof," he regards it is an important/significant distinction, even if he is just using that as an excuse to be angry about other things stated in the speech (certainly possible). Reading that post gives the impression of misunderstanding, so I'm not quite so sure why you're so quick to dismiss that based on things that are not related to this actual incident.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

dilbertschalter posted:

Well, given that in the actual original post the student goes on about the difference between nation and country and gives a couple examples as "proof," he regards it is an important/significant distinction, even if he is just using that as an excuse to be angry about other things stated in the speech (certainly possible). Reading that post gives the impression of misunderstanding, so I'm not quite so sure why you're so quick to dismiss that based on things that are not related to this actual incident.

It's just like people in SA sometimes go off the rails on definitions about words (while normal people just go about their day using them normally). The kid is just sperging and has no point. Biden's usage wouldn't bother anyone in China and like a lot of comments on that guy's blog post say, the Chinese media also uses the words interchangeably.

I was just tut-tuting the dude's masturbatory attempt to bring etymology into it- like Chinese people were confused about the concepts because their words for 'em were borrowed via Japan a century ago. This is a purely White Guy Talking About China Thing. Chinese people know what they mean. Or don't mean. They play as fast and loose with the words as we do in English. Which just goes back to the point, the kid was being dumb.

Barto fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 23, 2013

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Arglebargle III posted:

I have this suspicion that Chinese students in the U.S. who tend to dismiss American food as tasteless are the ones who never go anywhere except the cafeteria. I know a lot of people that rarely left campus and I feel like the Chinese (especially male) students are a big portion of them. I have heard people complain about American food and when they give examples it's nearly all cafeteria food, and when I meet Chinese people in China who have been to America and are like I LOVE MEXICAN FOOD AAA (because they can't get it in China) they tend to be extroverts who I could see going around to actual restaurants with friends on a regular basis.

I also don't doubt for a minute that the Chinese students who wouldn't leave campus would also lack the critical thinking skills to realize that cafeteria food sucks everywhere and not to identify the food they get at their lovely cafeteria with ALL American food.

It's also down to cultural preferences in taste. Here's an article about a bunch of Chinese chefs dining at the French Laundry and not really enjoying themselves.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Living in NY, the fad for the last few years has been a rivival of Americana food. I see joints opening up all the time focusing on what would be stereotypically American food and really doing a great job with it (whether cultural fusion style or just making it tastier with better/different local ingredients).

I mean, granted it's a mostly Hipster led food movement, but hey, what's more American than hipsters.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

gret posted:

It's also down to cultural preferences in taste. Here's an article about a bunch of Chinese chefs dining at the French Laundry and not really enjoying themselves.

Also not being able to smoke in there probably cheesed them off.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Where I live there's a ton of foreign students from China and I can confirm that a lot of them never leave campus. Student resources also gets tons of reports of odd behavior and depression. They basically go into culture-shock and just hide in their dorm room and focus 100% on their studies and the best the school can do is sort of keep an eye on them and hope they don't snap.

Even other chinese students think they are weird. It's also mostly the chinese students. Koreans, Japanese, Mexicans, they all get out and go into town and have fun but there's this weird phenomenon of mostly chinese kids that just bunker down in their dorm while developing a seething hatred of all things "western". They'll survive on lovely university food and often refuse to even leave the campus to go to one of the "asian" supermarkets to get food from home. From what my neighbour's chinese students tell me these sort will only barely make friends with other chinese students with the same mindset as them and all they do on their limited social time is sit around bitching about how awful the school is, how stinky and rude and stupid white people are, and how racist and unfair and unqualified their teachers are. Of the international students who fall into this it's like 90% Chinese and 99% male. Oh they also apparently get crazy bitter about not having a girlfriend and of course blame it all on "the west".

What could be causing this to such an extent vs students from other cultures?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

I think it's their social background. Only pretty rich Chinese parents can send their kids to the West, right?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It's also probably their intense academic background. They may be smart, but immature because they did not have enough time yet to develop coping mechanisms or even a realistic view of the world. It happens to Americans who go overseas also, but it's probably worse for Chinese students because having to study 24/7 for all of their lives doesn't leave time to develop other important aspects of their personality.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Baronjutter posted:

Where I live there's a ton of foreign students from China and I can confirm that a lot of them never leave campus. Student resources also gets tons of reports of odd behavior and depression. They basically go into culture-shock and just hide in their dorm room and focus 100% on their studies and the best the school can do is sort of keep an eye on them and hope they don't snap.

Even other chinese students think they are weird. It's also mostly the chinese students. Koreans, Japanese, Mexicans, they all get out and go into town and have fun but there's this weird phenomenon of mostly chinese kids that just bunker down in their dorm while developing a seething hatred of all things "western". They'll survive on lovely university food and often refuse to even leave the campus to go to one of the "asian" supermarkets to get food from home. From what my neighbour's chinese students tell me these sort will only barely make friends with other chinese students with the same mindset as them and all they do on their limited social time is sit around bitching about how awful the school is, how stinky and rude and stupid white people are, and how racist and unfair and unqualified their teachers are. Of the international students who fall into this it's like 90% Chinese and 99% male. Oh they also apparently get crazy bitter about not having a girlfriend and of course blame it all on "the west".

What could be causing this to such an extent vs students from other cultures?

My GF is a Chinese student here on study. Of the two big international schools here, the biggest is also a Christian school. She has explained to me before that, as far as her experience goes, there are many "more conservative" Chinese students who don't understand American "openness" (bourgeois/liberalism). I think stereotypes compound that.

Her room mate and her room mates Chinese boyfriend rent hotel rooms so they can spend the evening together, but both maintain that they are virgins. They recently suffered a prank where an American student discovered their weekend trysts and wrote up an official looking letter admonishing the two for having pre marital sexual intercourse, which is against the college's rules of conduct, and that the two must report to a meeting about their status as students.

She also mentioned that many of her female friends often fall prey to womanizers and sexual predators.

There are also money scams and pyramid schemes. In the course of helping my GF find a job we've encountered plenty of Vector Inc like bullshitters passing themselves off as medical and tech companies in the aim to take advantage of the language barrier.

I imagine all of this gets back to families back home and perpetuates.

This is all in Jackson MS. I apologize to everyone for MS being a cultural shithole.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 23, 2013

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I hate to interrupt foodchat, because it's pretty interesting, but I've been reading a pretty cool/interesting history textbook I randomly ordered offline about Chinese impressions of the U.S. from before 1949. It's basically a translated collection of the personal diaries/writings of Chinese diplomats from when they were in the United States (since, according to the authors of the textbook, pretty much nothing survives from non diplomatic sources like railroad workers). They're really interesting and there's several about family life and gender relations, and one really good one about a Chinese diplomat in the Jim Crow south (where he was treated like a white guy!).

I just thought I'd drop in and reccomend it since I barely know anything about China and I've found it pretty riveting, so all you seasoned China watchers might get more of a kick out of it.

http://www.amazon.com/Land-Without-Ghosts-Impressions-Mid-Nineteenth/dp/0520084241

"Land Without Ghosts"

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 23, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Sweet. Gonna put that on my list.

I've loaned the girlfriend Madam Mao and Kissinger on China so far.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Arglebargle III posted:

Honestly who can blame them? When you find out baby food* has poison in it, you're not going to buy the poison for your baby.

*if you've been told your whole life that baby food comes from a factory and your boobs will get all weird if you even think about breastfeeding

Is this message a result of the formula industry pushing that narrative or something with deeper cultural roots? Is the Chinese equivalent of the Center for Disease Control doing any thing to increase and prolong breast feeding in the population? It can be pretty important to an infants long term health and development.

ryan8723
May 18, 2004

Trust me, I read it on TexAgs.

cafel posted:

Is this message a result of the formula industry pushing that narrative or something with deeper cultural roots? Is the Chinese equivalent of the Center for Disease Control doing any thing to increase and prolong breast feeding in the population? It can be pretty important to an infants long term health and development.

Eh I wouldn't trust any governmental organization in China, not when corruption is so rampant. We already know they massively lie about environmental issues so why wouldn't they lie here?

China has proven time and again that they only care about business and view the people as expendable.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

cafel posted:

It's pressure from everywhere.
There's a desire for fat babies, and formula companies claim their junk is more fattening
It's really damned normal for both parents to work and granny watches over the kid, or a nanny which makes breastfeeding harder to make happen

Formula companies do kickbacks to the hospitals so the whole issue of "breastfeeding" is basically never discussed. Giving birth is honestly dirt cheap in the hospitals, so they push hard sells for just about every useless thing you can imagine. Starting from "here's a voucher for a 400g can of overpriced formula" and it's basically gonna overlap with the specific brands that are being swept off the shelves everywhere.
Everything from gold and silver birth certificates, to baby footprints immediately following birth etched in plastic, packages for 坐月子 ranging in the tens of thousands, "classes" that they try and claim are required, but nothing more than sales pitches (that you actually have to pay for). It's also why they encourage cesareans (extra cost). Basically what you see happening here is a direct impact of neolib idiocy that has infected the system, price gouging and unadulterated greed.

ryan8723 posted:

Eh I wouldn't trust any governmental organization in China, not when corruption is so rampant. We already know they massively lie about environmental issues so why wouldn't they lie here?

China has proven time and again that they only care about business and view the people as expendable.

As bad as you think the state orgs are, private companies tend to be much much worse.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

ryan8723 posted:

Coming from an environmental engineering background, I can honestly say that China has a looming ecological disaster that will make everything in the world look like the garden of Eden. Even if they did perfect everything and went all out, there are still a billion+ people living in an area that can't support a billion people. They don't have enough resources to keep that kind of population going, which means they have to rape the land to continue.

India has the exact same problem. The level of population in both of those countries is massively unsustainable.

So what happens when it's evident to both populations that they're going to starve? Aside from the riots, anarchy and so forth - How will the governments increase their food sources?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

WarpedNaba posted:

So what happens when it's evident to both populations that they're going to starve? Aside from the riots, anarchy and so forth - How will the governments increase their food sources?

Maybe strike deals with third world countries who have arable land? I mean it's the same thing as any country that lacks a necessary resource. They will just try to get it by buying it or taking it.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
And look, China's making deals in Africa. I don't know if that's the reason, but it's something.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

Eat the poor.

Serious answer: the Chinese have engineered themselves into a (relative) population crash that will likely do something to ease the pressure, but they can't really go any further because the economic consequences are already looking pretty dire. Desertification is definitely going to continue encroaching on China's arable land though, groundwater will continue to be used up and contaminated*, surface water is already thoroughly contaminated so it's hard to see China maintaining its food security in the long term. Air pollution actually might see some change because it's extremely visible and people are more and more angry about it, and it's a short-cycle thing that can be easy to change. Just look at the UK and American experiences with air pollution.

*Several Chinese companies have been caught injecting industrial waste directly into aquifers to save money on disposable, and if one company is doing it in China it's a fair bet to assume that many are doing it.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Arglebargle III posted:

*Several Chinese companies have been caught injecting industrial waste directly into aquifers to save money on disposable, and if one company is doing it in China it's a fair bet to assume that many are doing it.

Any sources for that? Not calling bullshit, but would be interested to read, as its pretty much textbook capitalism.

Have the found the source for the recent/latest cadmium contamination stories.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Wibbleman posted:

Any sources for that? Not calling bullshit, but would be interested to read, as its pretty much textbook capitalism.

Have the found the source for the recent/latest cadmium contamination stories.

I think it's textbook libertarianism. The government doesn't exercise many rules so people do whatever the gently caress they want. And people being who they are do the worst things they can think of to make money. In many ways China is a textbook example of libertarianism--the government can't or won't intervene in many matters and the average person suffers for it.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

there are many "more conservative" Chinese students who don't understand American "openness" (bourgeois/liberalism).
For Chinese people, "open" (開放) when describing people pretty exclusively refers to sexual habits. When a Chinese person says "hey, you westerners are pretty open, right?" it means "so how many orgies do you have planned this evening?" "Conservative" (保守) can be used a bit more broadly but most often describes sexuality as well.

Vladimir Putin posted:

I think it's textbook libertarianism. The government doesn't exercise many rules so people do whatever the gently caress they want. And people being who they are do the worst things they can think of to make money. In many ways China is a textbook example of libertarianism--the government can't or won't intervene in many matters and the average person suffers for it.
It's really not. China is not a free market liberal economy in any sense of the word. Well... I typed that and then I was going to explain that the reason it's not free is because there's actually tons of complex regulation that the well-connected just bribe their way out of. But maybe buying the kind of government/regulations you want is just super hyper free market?

No seriously folks. China is not at all like Hong Kong, which is legit free and you can do whatever you want and gently caress all the lower classes. China has regulations. Lots of them. And an economy dominated by state-owned giants. Those state-owned companies can do whatever they want because they're by definition well-connected, and then there's the private sector leaders who can do what they want because they bribed enough people or are related to enough people (usually both).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bloodnose posted:

It's really not. China is not a free market liberal economy in any sense of the word. Well... I typed that and then I was going to explain that the reason it's not free is because there's actually tons of complex regulation that the well-connected just bribe their way out of. But maybe buying the kind of government/regulations you want is just super hyper free market?

I think so. Yeah they have lots of regulation, but if you have money none of that applies to you. That sounds pretty much straight libertarian to me. If it weren't then the regulations would apply to everyone no matter what kind of money or connections you can bring. I don't think the hyper free market has to mean the laws don't exist, you can have a China situation where they exist on paper but in practice might as well not exist at all.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bloodnose posted:

For Chinese people, "open" (開放) when describing people pretty exclusively refers to sexual habits. When a Chinese person says "hey, you westerners are pretty open, right?" it means "so how many orgies do you have planned this evening?" "Conservative" (保守) can be used a bit more broadly but most often describes sexuality as well.

No seriously folks. China is not at all like Hong Kong, which is legit free and you can do whatever you want and gently caress all the lower classes. China has regulations. Lots of them. And an economy dominated by state-owned giants. Those state-owned companies can do whatever they want because they're by definition well-connected, and then there's the private sector leaders who can do what they want because they bribed enough people or are related to enough people (usually both).

It's pretty much an all around example of an unsustainable system that is going to have seriously dire causes in a few decades on a global scale. China and India are completely destroying their local environment and ecosystem to play economic catch-up with the first world countries but there's no point in sprinting to the finish if you're barely outrunning the consequences.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Bloodnose posted:

China has regulations. Lots of them. And an economy dominated by state-owned giants. Those state-owned companies can do whatever they want because they're by definition well-connected, and then there's the private sector leaders who can do what they want because they bribed enough people or are related to enough people (usually both).

Right, but that's sorta the thing- saying "there are lots of regulations" but then admitting that they aren't really in effect on a practical level cuts back to Vladimir Putin said- if the government can't or won't enforce these regulations, we end up with this weird nightmare libertarian world, where companies are doing whatever the gently caress they want, public good be damned.

China can have all kinds of awesome regulations on the books, but if they exist mainly on paper then what exactly is the point?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
The point is if you're a budding entrepreneur, even one with a good idea and business model that deserves to succeed, you will get hosed by regulators who finally see a chance to make a token example. Although you probably won't be able to raise any capital to begin with, because the lenders in China only lend to state-owned businesses or other massive organizations.

Of course you could always go to the shadow market and pay 30% interest for a truckload of cash. But then you'll just run into some arcane labor regulations that, because you're not connected or bribey enough, apply to you and no one else.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I wish an economist can come in explain a few things especially about the dead weight social loss.

Grand Fromage posted:

I think so. Yeah they have lots of regulation, but if you have money none of that applies to you. That sounds pretty much straight libertarian to me. If it weren't then the regulations would apply to everyone no matter what kind of money or connections you can bring. I don't think the hyper free market has to mean the laws don't exist, you can have a China situation where they exist on paper but in practice might as well not exist at all.

If the budget low cost carrier Spring airlines could fly Beijing to Hong Kong, they would already have. Heck, instead of going to Shanghai for the weekends, flying to Beijing from time to time would be nice change :china: But Air China as a state owned enterprise has an iron grip on Beijing's terminals and gates. Even Cathay Pacific can't outright ban other carriers from opening shop in HK's airport.

Saying that money can buy your way out of jail is a bit too extreme for China. While bribery is common, but so are executions :commissar: Punishments do happen, but the verdict and legal system is too unpredictable and sometimes unreliable. I would argue that bribing the government makes the market less libertarian because it's an extra market barrier. Somalia is over used as a Libertarian paradise but the laws there are non-existent, not weak.

pentyne posted:

It's pretty much an all around example of an unsustainable system that is going to have seriously dire causes in a few decades on a global scale. China and India are completely destroying their local environment and ecosystem to play economic catch-up with the first world countries but there's no point in sprinting to the finish if you're barely outrunning the consequences.

Party members actually have their own private farms and food stores. So do Olympic Athletes because regular food has too many hormones in it :downsrim: There are farms in China and the Pearl river delta selling food just for the Hong Kong market. Agriculture can be done right, but again, it's the administration and management which makes people in China not able to have nice things :smith: Recently, I think there was an article in a finance magazine detailing an investment group entering the agriculture market. They are planning to grow kiwis and blueberries, as high margin goods and also avoiding cereals because that's state enterprise-no-no territory.

http://english.caixin.com/2013-05-21/100530802.html posted:

Beijing) – An increasing numbers of Chinese consumers are willing to pay more for high-quality food as their living standards improve.
This development has not gone unnoticed by the agriculture industry and investment company Legend Holdings Ltd., which created a subsidiary called Joyvio Group in August 2012 to send into the fields.

On May 8, Joyvio introduced a brand of premium agricultural products. Its blueberries went on sale that day, selling for nearly 30 yuan for a 125 gram box in a high-end supermarket in Beijing. The company's kiwi fruits will reach stores in November, a company source said. In preparation for entering the fruit business, Legend invested more than 1 billion yuan over the past three years. In 2010, it spent millions of yuan to hire a consulting firm to research the agriculture industry. It eventually decided to offer premium products, namely blueberries and kiwis to start. Legend wanted Joyvio Group to oversee every step of the industrial chain.

Executives involved in the new venture understood patience was key."It takes time to do well in the agricultural sector," said Chen Shaopeng, managing director of Joyvio Group."We are not in a hurry to make money," Liu Chuanzhi, chairman of Legend Holdings, said. After it was established, Joyvio went on a buying binge, both at home and abroad. It bought Wallen Blueberry Fruits Co. Ltd., a planting company in Qingdao, Shandong Province; a kiwi fruit company called China New Agriculture in Sichuan Province; and five Chilean fruit companies. Setting up the nearly 670 hectare blueberry farm in Qingdao will require investment of 400 million yuan over the first four years, Chen said. The money would be spent on land, seedlings and irrigation facilities, and the farm would take about 10 years to become profitable.The company had a production target of 10,000 tons in 2017, Chen said, up from the current 2,000 tons.

Kiwi production was expected to reach 100,000 tons in five years. So far, Joyvio has kiwi farms in Sichuan, Shaanxi and Henan.
Only a few agricultural enterprises in China have entered the upstream planting sector, and it does not appear many others are interested. It was unlikely that China National Cereals, Oils and Foodstuffs Corp. would tap into the growing industry, company chairman Ning Gaoning has said. Outdated planting technology, a lack of skilled workers and the difficulty in managing scattered farmers were all seen as barriers to entering the market. Several industry insiders say China is still in the early stages of industrializing agriculture, and Legend would face many challenges, such teaching farmers new methods so unified product standards could be met and finding enough managers to monitor farmers.

A major bottleneck to growing blueberries is a shortage of skilled workers. The berries do not all ripen at the same time, requiring workers to pick only the ones that were ready, Chen said. Pickers also had to be careful because the berries were fragile. Legend has cooperated with vocational schools to train skilled workers to follow the company's standards so production can increase. The company has also recruited university students who majored in horticulture with the aim of training them to be farm supervisors. Joyvio Group is employing two models to work with farmers, Chen said. First, it rented land from them and planted fruit on its own. Second, the company has signed agreements with farmers who own more than 33 hectares of land. These farmers grow the fruit, but are managed by Joyvio.
The company is also experimenting with a third way that would see Joyvio cooperate with farmers who own a planting company. Joyvio would send supervisors and quality control staff to the farms to ensure fertilizer and pesticides were used in line with company standards.

Industry insiders said it was key that Legend properly managed farmers. "How do you guarantee farmers do not to fall asleep at the blueberry-growing bases?" an investor source who engages in agricultural business said. "And how do you to ensure they don't abuse pesticides to increase production and ignore quality?"
Joyvio has set plans for each planting base and informed farmers of its requirements, product standards and food safety issues. Legend has also pursued ways for management to use information technology systems to monitor farmers.

While focusing on planting issues, Legend is cooperating with logistics and sales companies to handle the fruit it has grown. "We have selected professional logistics companies with cold-storage facilities and sales providers," Chen said. "There are four major sales channels for Joyvio's products, namely upscale shopping malls and supermarkets, fruit retail chains, group-buying customers and online sales." Liu said that once the Joyvio brand is established and the premium fruits are well-received by customers, the company would try to copy the business model in other agriculture areas.

I don't know how they will deal with pollution. A more cynical way is to see it as a failing venture at the start to funnel God knows what. But I'm somewhat glad that people are taking growing food more seriously in China. Parma ham, Iberico pork, Champagne, Purity Laws, USDA Beef... Chinese companies needs to market its food and capitalize on its vast land and culinary history to the rest of the world. In my mind, the best way to preserve tradition and culture is to market the gently caress out of it. Besides starting a tech company, my dream is to start a food company/online distribution and market these products overseas or at least to the Chinese diaspora.

Grand Fromage and a few Korean goons can be my food consultants :shobon:

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Bloodnose posted:

The point is if you're a budding entrepreneur, even one with a good idea and business model that deserves to succeed, you will get hosed by regulators who finally see a chance to make a token example. Although you probably won't be able to raise any capital to begin with, because the lenders in China only lend to state-owned businesses or other massive organizations.

Of course you could always go to the shadow market and pay 30% interest for a truckload of cash. But then you'll just run into some arcane labor regulations that, because you're not connected or bribey enough, apply to you and no one else.

Right, but this still isn't meaningful enforcement of regulations, especially when enormous state-run industries and enormous industries with enough money to purchase regulators are the ones doing so much of the damage. Hell, even your example admits that regulators aren't looking to enforce regulations, they're looking for a kickback. This is why regulations aren't enforced and why we can't say that "China has a lot of regulations" like that phrase means anything at all.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
It means it's not a free market libertarian society. That's my point. Again, you need to look at the example of Hong Kong, which is, definitely a free market libertarian society and see how they're different.

I can set up a company for like $100 USD here (in Hong Kong) and start exploiting workers for peanuts tomorrow. It doesn't work that way in China, no matter how many regulations are ignored.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Alright, I mean 'state capitalist kleptocrat hellhole' is a better description for the whole system, so as long as we can agree that "regulations" in China aren't really regulations then I think we're in accord here.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think the issue is that pure libertarianism and state capitalist kleptocrat hellhole are both terrible in many similar ways. It's a fluid barrier.

Caberham use your libertarian dystopia to keep sending me Shaoxing wine and I'm a happy man.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

Parma ham, Iberico pork, Champagne, Purity Laws, USDA Beef... Chinese companies needs to market its food and capitalize on its vast land and culinary history to the rest of the world. In my mind, the best way to preserve tradition and culture is to market the gently caress out of it. Besides starting a tech company, my dream is to start a food company/online distribution and market these products overseas or at least to the Chinese diaspora.

Sorry to say the problem with that is that the marketing space has been poisoned... literally. People associate products from China with poison, and not without reason. Even Chinese people associate domestic food with contamination. Selling China-produce food abroad is going to be difficult.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hey Zhengzhou goons, been clubbing lately?

SCMP posted:

Hospitality is overrated - at least for China’s party cadres whose extravagant lifestyles and love of bar-hopping are drawing increasing scrutiny from the country’s online community.

One such official in the Central Henan province is being investigated after a night club "welcomed" him by displaying his name and title on an electronic banner on Tuesday night, reports Dahe Daily on Friday.

“President Zhang and President Wang from China Blue Chemical Group warmly welcomes director Tian from Xiangcheng city,” reads the message put up by a popular nightclub in Zhengzhou, the capital city of Henan province.

Tian Hongzhi, a deputy director at Xiangcheng city’s Department of Industry and Commerce, appeared to be partying with some affluent hosts - the Henan branch executives of a Hong Kong-listed firm China Blue Chemical. But the executives later denied having anything to do with Tian or the party.

Unfortunately for Tian, the message was promptly photographed by a zealous blogger who later shared it on Weibo, where it went viral and received nation-wide attention.

“What a hard-working official Mr Tian is,” wrote a micro-blogger sarcastically, “Working so late at night in the field.”

A staff working at the club told Dahe Daily that he had later received an anonymous call threatening a lawsuit against the club for “leaking personal information of Tian”.

To which he replied: “It’s a common practice for us [to put up welcoming messages], and we do it only at our guests’ request.”

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Never stop posting SCMP, Bloodnose. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Wow, slow news day in HK. Future SCMP headline:

Crime Rate in Zumadian Reported to be Above National Average