Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Well, they are supposedly around $2500 for a set but dealers are reportedly under embargo to not sell them aftermarket (or so I've heard... actually makes sense since you could in theory bypass much of the security of Kipass/Misty).

I got mine for significantly less than that but I can't say how much for various reasons. However, used ones "typically" go for $500-$1000 depending what's included and if you can find one. Mine is brand new, just been sitting on a shelf (hence the dust on the case) but everything inside it is still packaged and unused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
So in other words, you got it for two cases of beer?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I wish! No, certainly not that cheap but cheap enough to make me buy it to save me trouble and maybe help others in XX years of ownership. :)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Shiver update - they've localised the fault to one section of the loom and are testing it now to see if they can get away with just replacing a wire or if the whole lot will have to be replaced.

In the process they've discovered the rear cylinder is weeping oil from the head - they're going to replace the gasket to be on the safe side. Also the replacement clutch slave cylinder seal they put in last year is falling apart so they're going to have to pull it apart and see what's killing the seals.

Man, this is going to be expensive. They're only going to charge me 5 hours labour (£250) for the work so far, but a replacement loom will be about £150, and if they have to replace the whole clutch slave cylinder that'll go about the same, and it's probably at least another 3 hours labour (and probably nearer 5) to fit them. In the same month as I renewed my insurance, and will have to tax it too. Oh and the replacement loom and clutch will probably take a week or so, so that's bus fare when I go back to work as a final little shake of piss on my chips.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Heading down to the AMA Hall of Fame today. Anyone else ever been? Is it worth it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Shiver update - they've localised the fault to one section of the loom and are testing it now to see if they can get away with just replacing a wire or if the whole lot will have to be replaced.

In the process they've discovered the rear cylinder is weeping oil from the head - they're going to replace the gasket to be on the safe side. Also the replacement clutch slave cylinder seal they put in last year is falling apart so they're going to have to pull it apart and see what's killing the seals.

Man, this is going to be expensive. They're only going to charge me 5 hours labour (£250) for the work so far, but a replacement loom will be about £150, and if they have to replace the whole clutch slave cylinder that'll go about the same, and it's probably at least another 3 hours labour (and probably nearer 5) to fit them. In the same month as I renewed my insurance, and will have to tax it too. Oh and the replacement loom and clutch will probably take a week or so, so that's bus fare when I go back to work as a final little shake of piss on my chips.

"Sorry, after we finished all that work, it was exactly 0 degrees in the shop, so we cant test your bike"

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is all of that work really worth it for a glorified italian SV? :v:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

I wish! No, certainly not that cheap but cheap enough to make me buy it to save me trouble and maybe help others in XX years of ownership. :)

Three cases then? ;)

As an aside, the Husaberg/KTM diagnostics tool is freely available to buy for anyone from any KTM/Husa dealer (in Sweden at least), if you give them 2500 USD eqv (and then another 2000 USD to get all the cables and adapters needed). I'll have to call a Kwak dealer and see if they sell them openly here as well.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

"Sorry, after we finished all that work, it was exactly 0 degrees in the shop, so we cant test your bike"

:golfclap:

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
A local was hit by someone not looking the other day, got on local news and has a wee petition set up. Very pissed off at the response from the DSA -

DSA posted:

"We understand the importance of ensuring that drivers know how to drive safely. That is why drivers' awareness of motorcyclists and motorcycle safety is catered for in the syllabuses for both the driving theory and practical tests."

Is it gently caress. I'm in the middle of my lessons right now and I'm lucky enough to have an advanced driving instructor who rages about that, all that's in the syllabus is "watch out for vulnerable road users". As for the theory test it's along the lines of "a cyclist is in the road. Do you a) Start masturbating to the spandex-clad arse, b) Get within 30cm of the rear wheel while screaming "HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES", or c) Make sure you give him extra room, where possible and safe".

Motorcycle instruction, on the other hand, even for our day-long MSF that entitles you to ride a 125cc, is absolutely filled with "a driver might do this illegally, a driver might not be looking in this situation, drivers tend to shoot out of these types of junctions" and this wonderful road safety ad was produced - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQrHRN01hQY which includes gems like "if the roads are in poo poo conditions, drivers aren't indicating before yanking hard to the right, or an artic lorry is crossing the centreline, that's your lookout not ours." I certainly see why, but it annoys me that it wasn't hand-in-hand with an enforcement operation or another ad targeting drivers.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wootcannon posted:

Is it gently caress. I'm in the middle of my lessons right now and I'm lucky enough to have an advanced driving instructor who rages about that, all that's in the syllabus is "watch out for vulnerable road users". As for the theory test it's along the lines of "a cyclist is in the road. Do you a) Start masturbating to the spandex-clad arse, b) Get within 30cm of the rear wheel while screaming "HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES", or c) Make sure you give him extra room, where possible and safe".

I usually try to combine a and b.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Three cases then? ;)

As an aside, the Husaberg/KTM diagnostics tool is freely available to buy for anyone from any KTM/Husa dealer (in Sweden at least), if you give them 2500 USD eqv (and then another 2000 USD to get all the cables and adapters needed). I'll have to call a Kwak dealer and see if they sell them openly here as well.

:golfclap:

Your model may vary but at least some KTMs / Husas work with TuneECU (free) and a maybe 30$ Ebay cable.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
TuneECUs homepage says it only works on "KTM models 990/1190/690 Duke (except Duke 4)/690 SMC & Enduro/690 Supermoto
(up to model year 2012)", but I see people on forums all over saying they've used it on 2013s. My post was more a general comment on the what slidebite said earlier about Kawasaki policy.

slidebite posted:

dealers are reportedly under embargo to not sell them aftermarket

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Three cases then? ;)

EU competition rules specifically prevent such embargoes. So instead they just make them stupidly expensive for non-dealers to buy, and/or have a different connector for each model (each of which is again stupidly expensive for non-dealers to buy)

Interestingly if the French decision that bars mobile phone manufacturers from preventing people unlocking/jailbreaking their phones is universal across all electronic devices, there's nothing (other than expense) preventing anyone from reverse-engineering these sort of diagnostic tools. That's certainly happened with Piaggio's Axone system (excluding reflashing of the ECU) and I guess might be behind stuff like TuneECU and other similar efforts.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I wonder if that "up to 2012" involves KTM doing some security / warranty invalidation flag thing on their 2013s like Triumph is apparently doing. It seems out of character for bikes marketed as Ready To Race, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Snowdens Secret posted:

I wonder if that "up to 2012" involves KTM doing some security / warranty invalidation flag thing on their 2013s like Triumph is apparently doing. It seems out of character for bikes marketed as Ready To Race, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I'll have you know it's about so much more than Ready To Race (which, by the way, is Husabergs old slogan that KTM appropriated when they bought Husa). :colbert:

Here's a picture of the carrying case for the manual and other papers that I got with the bike.

Welcome to the toughest guys. :smuggo:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Welcome to the toughest guys. :smuggo:

Did you get the pen and beer opener? KTM briefcase crew

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KTM VS DUCATI, WHO CAN BE THE OFFICIAL EURO HARLEY???

FIGHT!!!!

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

FIGHT!!!!

In a fight to the death between KTM and Ducati, who wins?

Answer: we all do.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I can't think of a KTM I wouldn't want to own, or a Duc I wouldn't at least ride the poo poo out of, if I didn't have to worry about up-front and maintenance costs. Almost the exact opposite of how I feel about H-D.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Snowdens Secret posted:

I can't think of a KTM I wouldn't want to own, or a Duc I wouldn't at least ride the poo poo out of, if I didn't have to worry about up-front and maintenance costs. Almost the exact opposite of how I feel about H-D.

Having now owned both and currently owning a Ducati, it's totally loving worth it. Sure, you gotta do belts on the Ducati every 12k and the valve adjustment is a bitch, and there's a dozen filters and you have to use unicorn blood oil on the KTM, but the experience of riding them makes it completely worth it, no question.

The only caveat I'd have is they're both too easy to ride like total jackasses, and you always want to make the miles count on them so they lend themselves to constant hoonery. Which is why I have the 675 to commute on vs. using the 999. Well, that and MY WIFE claiming the 999 as hers. :v:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

BMW :v:

If you're a lawyer/dentist/business exec who rides on the weekends, chances are your bike is one of those two brands.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

If you're a lawyer/dentist/business exec who rides on the weekends, chances are your bike is one of those two brands.

BMW marketing spiel for the middle-aged professional: "this bike does everything!"
Harley marketing spiel for the middle-aged professional: "this bike does...???"

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slavvy posted:

BMW marketing spiel for the middle-aged professional: "this bike does everything!"
Harley marketing spiel for the middle-aged professional: "this bike is (you are) AMERICAN BADASS"

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I wonder how many MV Agustas are sold because prospective buyers didn't want to be associated with Ducati stereotypes. :raise:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

HotCanadianChick posted:

Is that true in Europe? I thought it was more an American thing as in BMW is the Euro Harley for Americans.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Thing is, nobody has ever bought a KTM or a BMW based on looks or style alone, whereas Ducati, definitely yes. That makes Ducati euro Harley! BMW is more like euro Honda, and KTM, I dunno, euro Suzuki?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I disagree. While Harleys are still popular for the middle age dentist/accountant here, the "Long Way Down look" is also A Thing.

Every summer we get a parade of BMW GSs with all the farkles, bash guards, polished aluminium panniers permanently mounted (permanently empty), Belstaff jackets, Arai Tour-X Charlie McEwan Edition lids. Occasionally you get to see them wobble around the coast road with the wife (or mistress) on the back in matching his and hers gear.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

ReelBigLizard posted:

Every summer we get a parade of BMW GSs with all the farkles, bash guards, polished aluminium panniers permanently mounted (permanently empty), Belstaff jackets, Arai Tour-X Charlie McEwan Edition lids. Occasionally you get to see them wobble around the coast road with the wife (or mistress) on the back in matching his and hers gear.

Expensive, farkled out, bought by 50+ year olds, matching his & hers gear and hardly ridden? Gotta be a GS. Also has the "I'm 50+ and a HarleyBMW is my dream bike but I don't have the money" sideliners.

You don't see as many of the mbecause there's more choice to go around, but they're definitely around.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I ride an old (88 K Bike) BMW, I'm 24 with a beard, black metal shirt, long hair, and dont wear HI-VIZ poo poo. I pulled up to a bar that my old roommates girlfriend works at (free beer) and 3 guys on GS's pull up at the same time I do. All of them in HI-VIZ vests, 50+, ATTGATT, and they wouldn't even acknowledge me. gently caress them, I only have my bike and ride rain or shine, these chumps looked like weekend warriors. Anyone I've ever met riding a BMW was some old dude with an elitist attitude, and too much money, save one guy with a ratted out K, the exact same as mine that I met at a death metal show.

I'm sure some of them are O.K., but most of them dismiss me from sight alone.

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 23, 2013

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

We are one german bike short from forming an Axies motorcycle gang at work. I mean there is a (old) guy with (two) BMWs but we dont want that condescending dick riding with us. But its more about us hating the guy for being an incopetent dick than an exasperating BMW owner. :v:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Pokey Araya posted:

I ride an old (88 K Bike) BMW, I'm 24 with a beard, black metal shirt, long hair, and dont wear HI-VIZ poo poo. I pulled up to a bar that my old roommates girlfriend works at (free beer) and 3 guys on GS's pull up at the same time I do. All of them in HI-VIZ vests, 50+, ATTGATT, and they wouldn't even acknowledge me. gently caress them, I only have my bike and ride rain or shine, these chumps looked like weekend warriors. Anyone I've ever met riding a BMW was some old dude with an elitist attitude, and too much money, save one guy with a ratted out K, the exact same as mine that I met at a death metal show.

I think much of the time people are may just be nervous or intimidated or something. They may be aware of their weekend warriorhood and think the "real biker"(TM) is being a snob to THEM.

Years ago, I started saying "hi" to people in a cheerful and polite way when I get the elitist jerk vibe from them just to see a response. So far, 9 out of 10 times they respond in kind so either my vibe is wrong or they're just disarmed by friendly banter. Only rarely have people truly revealed elistist shirtbird responses and then I just laugh at them.

I think part of the reasons why old guys ride GS' is that they are loving comfortable. I mean really, really comfortable. A friend lent me one once and I gave it a good flogging and rode it for some time and despite lounger-like comfort it performed pretty well.

vvv My buddy's GS was like an '08 or '09, something fairly new.

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 23, 2013

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I had a GS, it was a '97 and it was like riding a horse at 100 mph. But it had 50k on it and started falling apart, I got the bike cheap because it was old but new parts were stupid expensive. I wasn't snobbish about it, it was more annoying that people thought it was a really expensive bike because it just looked nice.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Yamaha has the Bolt. Honda has the CTX700. Suzuki is going to announce a new cruiser. Japan seems to be rolling out new models. What's Kawasaki doing?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Pope Mobile posted:

Yamaha has the Bolt. Honda has the CTX700. Suzuki is going to announce a new cruiser. Japan seems to be rolling out new models. What's Kawasaki doing?

Winning the dirtbike and supersport categories and furiously coming up with some bitchin Monster Energy versions of their bikes? :smug:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Linedance posted:

Thing is, nobody has ever bought a KTM or a BMW based on looks or style alone, whereas Ducati, definitely yes. That makes Ducati euro Harley! BMW is more like euro Honda, and KTM, I dunno, euro Suzuki?

:lol: come to Florida. 90% of the S1000RRs I see are ridden by sub 21 trust fund kids, usually sporting a full compliment of gear that includes a hat, wifebeater, and shorts.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I present for the Jury, exhibit A, taken just yesterday from reddit.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Shinko rear tire, extended swingarm, dropped front end. It's probably actually used as a drag bike.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
You'd think that, but Florida is 106% flat, straight roads. It's the most boring place imaginable to ride.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I was going to say that I guess my experience is absurdly biased, but I'd be willing to bet a grand on that bike being all for show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Pokey Araya posted:

I know a lot of BMW people, I'm in the clubs, I go the rallies, very few of them are the snobs like you're talking about. I dunno where you're meeting those people. Even the rich weekend warrior ones, most of them, I prefer over the alternative. They may look like posers riding status symbols, but when you see somebody wearing hi-viz and a full face and aerostich, at least you're probably looking at someone who takes riding seriously. They read a book about riding techniques, they care about safety, they took the BRC, they're gonna watch the cars around them and use the front brake. They're not just another rear end in a top hat who wants to look like a badass on his way to the bar while waking up as many kids in the neighborhood as possible.