Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

PureRok posted:

I just noticed that Metro 2033 (the book) is available for free under the DLC section on Steam on Metro: Last Light's page. This is after I bought the book a few days ago... Ah well, more money for Dmitry (maybe), I guess.

E: It seems to be better edited than the English Kindle version. I might put this on my Kindle instead.

I never did figure out why I don't have a copy of this. I got the game through a preorder directly through Steam. It's not listed under DLC and not in the game folder where people tell me to look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

According to Steam achievement stats, 35% of people who own this game have the bad ending achievement, and only 5% the good one. Unsurprising, but looks like we're getting the bad end again for the next sequel :smith:

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

KaneTW posted:

According to Steam achievement stats, 35% of people who own this game have the bad ending achievement, and only 5% the good one. Unsurprising, but looks like we're getting the bad end again for the next sequel :smith:

I'm not surprised, the good one seems ridiculously hard to get. I spared Levnitsky, Pavel, and the mother bear, killed no humans outside of the sections where you have to (train ride, D6, etc.) and a few in the concentration camp before I learned about knocking out, avoided fighting mutants when possible once the dark one was with me, explored as much as I could, gave to beggars, and still got the bad ending. I don't understand what the game expects you to do, unless it is straight up no kills no way no how.

vvv starting to think it hosed up my progress somehow. I always just used continue, but I noticed on a later chapter when I read a diary that some of my old ones were gone. Maybe that explains it. :smith:

Dog Fat Man Chaser fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 23, 2013

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

There's a guide at http://metrovideogame.wikia.com/wiki/Moral_Points that I just followed loosely and it gave me the good ending. No idea how many points I ended up getting in the end.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

KaneTW posted:

I doubt that how players finished the game will have any effect on any series continuity. I'd guess that the next game (if there is one) will just follow with whatever Glukhovsky wants to do, regardless of player base.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Yeah, I hope so. They just said that the canon ending of 2033 was determined by player metrics, but it might as well be completely up to Glukhovsky.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

KaneTW posted:

Yeah, I hope so. They just said that the canon ending of 2033 was determined by player metrics, but it might as well be completely up to Glukhovsky.

Source for this? I'm pretty sure the canon ending was the canon ending because that's the way the book ended and because the "good" ending was nothing more than a bonus for the intrepid.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
So did I get the good ending or what? Artyom suicides the D6 compound and the dark ones are reborn

Edit: VVV thanks. I don't know if I will ever get to see the good ending because I cannot resist slitting rapist and Nazi throats :fsn:

Miltank fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 23, 2013

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Miltank posted:

So did I get the good ending or what? Artyom suicides the D6 compound and the dark ones are reborn

In mine he tried to blow up D6 and the dark ones burst in the save people before you do, pretty sure that's the good ending.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Miltank posted:

Nope. D6 blows no matter what, but the dark ones save him in the good ending.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Miltank posted:

Bad ending: Artyom dies by self-destructing D6
Good ending: Artyom is stopped from flipping the switch by the little Dark One, other Dark Ones incapacitate/kill the Red Army

E: ^^ D6 does not blow up in the good ending

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Yeah, after seeing what some of the bandits/fascists/communists are up to, it takes an almost inhuman restraint to leave their throats unslit/heads unfilled with 15mm steel balls.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Yeah, after that attempted rape I abandoned my no-kill run.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Yeah, especially when you consider that if you knock them out, they'll just wake up a bit later and resume killing/raping the refugees after you've left.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I like to think the refugees turned the tables on the unconscious aggressors that I leave behind.

"For liability purposes, it is the ocean refugees that will kill you, not us."

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Finally finished; I played constantly until the bear fight and failed every time due the wrong sort of guns and ammo. I went back one level tonight and found a 4 barrel shotgun of some sort and took me one try to pass that level.

Overall I thought Last Light was a mixture of some of the most amazing graphics and effects ive ever encountered, like the whole train level, down to some horribly annoying and infuriatingly bad swamp monsters, catacomb monsters, and yes that darned bear :mad:

The story was 'meh' for me, compared to 2033. Some amazing levels were underused and id love to have stuck around and had more time in places such as Venice

I got the bad ending, I think it may have been when I walked over to the rape scene, went 'welp, ive no business here' and walked away :v:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Endings are based solely on a check "do you have enough moral points" where every white flash gives you 1 moral point plus and every dark flash 1 moral point minus. In 2033 the threshold was around 20-25 points, not sure how high it is in LL.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Wow holy poo poo I was watching that GTX 780 video on the nvidia site and it shows physx in Metro LL. Normally not a fan of physx but it looks amazing there.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Leb posted:

Yeah, especially when you consider that if you knock them out, they'll just wake up a bit later and resume killing/raping the refugees after you've left.
They're some of the few places where killing everything hostile actually nets you more moral points than nonlethal. So that was in fact the correct response.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

keyframe posted:

Wow holy poo poo I was watching that GTX 780 video on the nvidia site and it shows physx in Metro LL. Normally not a fan of physx but it looks amazing there.

It looks cool but I'm not sure it looks $650 worth of cool. I'm excited for when we get these physics on $300 cards. Hopefully, next generation?

ethanol fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 23, 2013

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

ethanol posted:

It looks cool but I'm not sure it looks $650 worth of cool. I'm excited for when we get these physics on $300 cards. Hopefully, next generation?

PhysX cards have been included in NVidia cards for a few years now, you can find a card for less then that easy.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

keyframe posted:

It's okay, I wish there was more of it, it's not very explicit in this game, compared to something like Mafia II where it's used to insane effect.
I have to say though, that once you start using PhysX, it's hard to play games without it, the added particle effects add so much to the experience.

Just look at this (especially look at the cloth physics): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONQfbGBtitY

Alice: Madness Returns, had some fantastic effects as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0UBtzKRUKI

ethanol posted:

You can get a cheap extra Nvidia card and pop it into an empty slot and have it be run as a dedicated PhysX card so it doesn't put extra load onto your current GPU or your CPU.
That's what I'm doing with my current setup while I'm playing Metro.

EDIT: Jesus, I forgot the best of them all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k1idbbr2pw

Lil Swamp Booger Baby fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 23, 2013

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dr.Oblivious posted:

PhysX cards have been included in NVidia cards for a few years now, you can find a card for less then that easy.

Oh well I feel stupid for buying a 7950 now.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I seriously can't get over how loving amazing this game looks. I've never been so consistently speechless at scenery before. I struggle to think how the 'next generation' of consoles is going to match the sheer beauty of this game.

And I'm only playing on a 560ti, jesus loving christ.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I honestly loved this whole game, I even loved the boss fights. Granted, i was just doing a normal blitz through to prepare the way for my actual, ranger play through.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

NaDy posted:

I seriously can't get over how loving amazing this game looks. I've never been so consistently speechless at scenery before. I struggle to think how the 'next generation' of consoles is going to match the sheer beauty of this game.

And I'm only playing on a 560ti, jesus loving christ.

I honestly think this and Crysis 3 look a little better than the bits of next gen gameplay that are out there.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I never did figure out why I don't have a copy of this. I got the game through a preorder directly through Steam. It's not listed under DLC and not in the game folder where people tell me to look.

Go to the store page for Metro LL on Steam. It's not a pre-order bonus. Anyone who owns LL can download it. On the store page under the DLC stuff it will be listed there with "Free" next to it. "Buy" it and it will be in your Metro: LL folder under steamapps.

It's listed here on the site: http://store.steampowered.com/app/43163/

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still don't have that (apparently terrible) comic that came with the game. Is there a download for that anywhere on Steam?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It's not through steam. You were supposed to get a code that you use on.. Dark Horse's site, I think.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I played Metro 2033 in hard mode, before the Ranger DLC was released.

I like having a hard, scary, immersive experience. I like being stealthy, but if I screw up I like then having a big fighfight (rather than reloading a checkpoint until I get through perfectly stealthy).

I pre-ordered Metro Last Light, so I have Ranger mode. Would people recommend playing in Ranger mode, or would I be better off playing in the standard Hard mode?

I know Ranger mode is described as "the way it is supposed to be played", but I'm concerned that having gunfights with human NPCs will be suicide and instead you are supposed to sneak around and avoid them or stealth kill them all.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I shanked dudes left and right at the start of the game but then for dudes who were just mechanics or repair men I knocked them out. They might not be nazis by choice but those concentration camp guards sure as hell were.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

your evil twin posted:

I know Ranger mode is described as "the way it is supposed to be played", but I'm concerned that having gunfights with human NPCs will be suicide and instead you are supposed to sneak around and avoid them or stealth kill them all.

I'm currently playing my second playthrough on Ranger Easy this way and its the same for me as 2033. Sneak through, go guns blazing if you get caught, fight your way out. Though, sometimes they mix it up a little too, like they'll try to smoke you out, forcing you to put on your gas mask or choke to death, or reinforcements will show up if a guy gets to an alarm.

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull

RBA Starblade posted:

I still don't have that (apparently terrible) comic that came with the game. Is there a download for that anywhere on Steam?

Want my code?
I have no interest in ever using it.

PM me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Charlie Brown posted:

Want my code?
I have no interest in ever using it.

PM me.

I've got a code, I just see nowhere to use it at.

Sphrin
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah, Ranger reduces your guns and ammo and reduces everyone's health so that everything takes less shots to kill. I'd say that Ranger Easy is the best balance between Immersion and not being pissed off by invisible QTE's and not knowing which secondary you have equipped.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

your evil twin posted:

You can have gunfights, and they're fun, but I wouldn't play Ranger Mode your first time through simply because it isn't nearly as well-implemented as it was in 2033. I get the impression that they playtested it themselves, because it equates "having no information" with being immersive. I.E., you can't check how much regular ammo you have outside of friendly stations (even if you're under no pressure), and on Hardcore you can't see which secondary (throwable) weapon you're equipping. They also limit you to two weapons (even if one is a sidearm), which feels arbitrary after 2033.

**I agree with Ranger Easy being a good compromise. Pretty sure it's the same as Hardcore but with the ability to actually see weapon selections and cutscene QTEs, and it worked for me my first time through. The lower ammo capacity and higher lethality are still worth it.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 24, 2013

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

PureRok posted:

Go to the store page for Metro LL on Steam. It's not a pre-order bonus. Anyone who owns LL can download it. On the store page under the DLC stuff it will be listed there with "Free" next to it. "Buy" it and it will be in your Metro: LL folder under steamapps.

It's listed here on the site: http://store.steampowered.com/app/43163/

An error was encountered while processing your request:

This item is currently unavailable in your region.

Ughhh europe.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

RBA Starblade posted:

I've got a code, I just see nowhere to use it at.

https://digital.darkhorse.com/metro/

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So I'm only available to play this game a hour or so every night thanks to work, but I've just gotten to the Moscow city surface after you hook up with the Dark One on the train. The surface is absolutely mind blowingly stunning. I thought it was great in the first hour of the game, but this is unreal. The train part was incredible too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Thanks for all the info on the difficulty modes everyone. :)

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm currently playing my second playthrough on Ranger Easy this way and its the same for me as 2033. Sneak through, go guns blazing if you get caught, fight your way out. Though, sometimes they mix it up a little too, like they'll try to smoke you out, forcing you to put on your gas mask or choke to death, or reinforcements will show up if a guy gets to an alarm.

Stuff like enemies smoking you out or reinforcements turning up, do they happen in the other difficulty modes too, or just in the Ranger modes? If it is just in the Ranger modes then I will definitely be playing in Ranger Easy, that sounds awesome. (The two weapon limit is a bit disappointing, though.)

Am I right in thinking that the way both Metro games handle difficulty settings is that the harder the difficulty, the rarer the bullets, but the bullets do more damage... to both enemies and to the player. Is that right?

I thought I read a few posts back in this thread something about how "amoebas" take like 10 bullets to be killed in Ranger mode, rather than just a few bullets, suggesting that there are certain enemies that are exceptions to the rule and are made tougher depending on the difficulty setting. I also read in PC Gamer that playing in Hard mode made the combat more lethal and resource management more important, but that it also made the "bullet-sponge boss battles more of a slog". Does playing in Ranger Easy make that even more so, super-tough bosses?

• Locked thread