Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Guzwar posted:

Never knew there was an album, and with two Creed songs on it. How bad was the movie that it required two Creed songs?!
The funny thing was that probably half the songs on this album never even appeared in the film. The Creed song in the ending credits is just adding insult to injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Misogynist posted:

Pretty sure you mean Kik Wear and UFOs

Either way Gadzooks and Spencer's Gifts profits can only go up from here!

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Weaponized Cum posted:

I like their second album.

The second album is much better than the first, for sure. I haven't listened to any of their material since Genesis, though. I saw them play around when it was released and some hessian bloke beat up a fair few scene kids.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Alright so you guys pretty much ruined the last thread with your terrible opinions. Then I honestly felt like I was in high school again because someone was actually loving talking about Machine Head. So basically I'm rebooting this thread because the other one was getting long anyways. What's going to happen here? You'll probably run it into the ground again.

Funny how this thread has come full circle.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Defiant Sally posted:

Metal should do something actually interesting sometime this year. I'd rather talk about lovely high school music tastes than a boring new Dark Tranquillity album, and that's sad :(

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgYOaUZ29ws Megadeth - "Kingmaker"
So yeah sounds like Super Collider is gonna be sub-Th1rt3en garbage.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

leprous' new album Coal has leaked, and no surprise it's amazing.

Its definitely a little less "metal" than Bilateral, but it's also produced by Ihsahn, so you should know more or less what to expect, by which I mean expect the unexpected :haw:

I just posted about this in the prog thread after not remembering whether the chat about Bilateral was in here or in there. Guess it was probably in here. Coal is a fantastic album, at least on par with Bilateral, if not better.

My favorite track right now is The Valley:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CowKEvDSq1c

And here's the most metal track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNB7GGvhQWA

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 17:18 on May 22, 2013

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Misogynist posted:

Metal should do something actually interesting sometime this year. I'd rather talk about lovely high school music tastes than a boring new Dark Tranquillity album, and that's sad :(

Not sure I've heard any metal this year that isn't better suited to the black metal or doom/post-rock threads.

e: I thought of a few exceptions like Kvelertak, but there isn't much.

Birthdayboy
Dec 17, 2005

I'm into some pretty cheesy metal. Lately however, I've noticed quite a few bands popping up that aren't exactly innovative, but who fit so well into the mold set by their predecessors, that the lack of innovation doesn't really seem to matter.

Nothgard, is pretty generic Vikingish metal. You hear a little bit of Ensiferum, a smattering of Equilibrium... Then you skip to another track, and it has Kalmah written all over it. It's like they're competing to tout as many influences as possible. That said, it's incredibly well done, and I couldn't care less if it's not particularly original. They also have apparently recruited a third guitarist for no reason other than :clint:

Nothgard- Warhorns of Midgard

Starkill, are a bunch of teenagers from the midwest. Despite that handicap, and their terrible name, they put out a sound reminiscent of Norther, CoB, and Wintersun, mixed with a little bit of power-metal. Again though, they do it so well that it really doesn't matter. I have a hard time watching their videos though, they're just too goddamn adorable for metal.

Starkill- Metal Moppets of Metal/Fires of Life

I'm all for the defiance of genre that keeps metal new and interesting, but there's a lot to be said for fitting snugly into an existing genre and rocking the gently caress out of it. If, after a few albums, these bands still haven't changed things up, I may be disappointed. For now though, I am pretty drat satisfied.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Misogynist posted:

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I just posted about this in the prog thread after not remembering whether the chat about Bilateral was in here or in there. Guess it was probably in here. Coal is a fantastic album, at least on par with Bilateral, if not better.

My favorite track right now is The Valley:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CowKEvDSq1c

And here's the most metal track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNB7GGvhQWA

nomapple posted:

Not sure I've heard any metal this year that isn't better suited to the black metal or doom/post-rock threads.

e: I thought of a few exceptions like Kvelertak, but there isn't much.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Riffs: uninteresting. Vocals: Dredg, Karnivool, Rishloo with piles of Devin Townsend/ICS Vortex reverb thrown on top for some reason. Heard this plenty of times before, a decade ago.

I'm going to be a huge curmudgeon and spin Slough Feg's Traveller for the twelfth time this week.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Stuff like Dead Congregation - Graves of the Archangels? I guess it's a little bit like early Immolation or Dominus Xul, but still pretty distinctive and a great album.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

John Magnum posted:

Stuff like Dead Congregation - Graves of the Archangels? I guess it's a little bit like early Immolation or Dominus Xul, but still pretty distinctive and a great album.

Been loving this album lately. Really excited about seeing them at Wolf Throne Festival in France with Deströyer 666 and Disma. I'd recommend:
Incantation- Onward to Golgotha
Cruciamentum
Grave Miasma
Vasaeleth
Pseudogod

All of Grave Miasma and Cruciamentum's poo poo is really good. The latest Pseudogod album rips as well. There's quite a lot of good death metal in that style around at the moment. I hope there's something here you haven't listened to yet :)

e: Dr. Wu- are you suggesting to check out Leprous? I like the cover art, I'll give it a look in a bit.

nomapple fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 22, 2013

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Yeah, Deathwomb Catechesis is phenomenal. And Incantation is also sweet. I'll check out the other three, thank you.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

John Magnum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgYOaUZ29ws Megadeth - "Kingmaker"
So yeah sounds like Super Collider is gonna be sub-Th1rt3en garbage.

Does Mustaine even care anymore? He sounds so bored. I generally like Megadeth but that song sucks hard. That other song they released recently too (don't even remember the name) sucked too. I guess another Rust in Peace is too much to ask at this point :(.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Misogynist posted:

Riffs: uninteresting. Vocals: Dredg, Karnivool, Rishloo with piles of Devin Townsend/ICS Vortex reverb thrown on top for some reason. Heard this plenty of times before, a decade ago.

Well that's just like your opinion, man.

Actually I can see where you're coming from. But I dig it.

nomapple posted:

e: Dr. Wu- are you suggesting to check out Leprous? I like the cover art, I'll give it a look in a bit.

I mean yeah if like, you want to. Or not.

I think it's a fantastic album.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Stargate posted:

Does Mustaine even care anymore? He sounds so bored. I generally like Megadeth but that song sucks hard. That other song they released recently too (don't even remember the name) sucked too. I guess another Rust in Peace is too much to ask at this point :(.

He's just fulfilling contractual obligations before embarking on his new career in Contemporary Christian schlock.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

comes along bort posted:

He's just fulfilling contractual obligations before embarking on his new career in Contemporary Christian schlock.

Is he on the same conspiracy bandwagon as Alex Jones/John Schaffer etc? I seem to recall some Chemtrail spouting.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Kaiho posted:

Is he on the same conspiracy bandwagon as Alex Jones/John Schaffer etc? I seem to recall some Chemtrail spouting.

Yeah - he's loving certifiable.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Q: Is this news to anyone?
A: This is the news.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Stargate posted:

The Mustaine I know overdosed on cocaine and cigarettes in the early 90's shortly after the release of Rust In Peace and their successful Clash of the Titans tour where they played such classics as The Conjuring on a nightly basis.

This christian puppet is obviously an impostor.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Defiant Sally posted:

When I get back from MDF I'm going to start it over again with an OP that actually has content and poo poo. Machine Head is like bookends for this thing.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

The Mustaine I know overdosed on cocaine and cigarettes in the early 90's shortly after the release of Rust In Peace and their successful Clash of the Titans tour where they played such classics as The Conjuring on a nightly basis.

This christian puppet is obviously an impostor.

It's unfortunate that bus all of metallica died on happened to crush mustaine while he was on the side of the road hitchhiking

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

...and then fell through a wormhole, fatally colliding with Queensryche's tour bus right after the release of Operation: Mindcrime.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 19:43 on May 23, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
and then Chuck's brain cancer was cured

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
I wish everyone who made music I don't like died tragically young in painful accidents

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

When I get back from MDF I'm going to start it over again with an OP that actually has content and poo poo. Machine Head is like bookends for this thing.

Might pre-empt you on that :effort:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Anybody checked out the latest Antediluvian or Lantern albums? Both are extremely suffocating atmospheric death metal (think Mitochondrion). I'm not crazy about the Antediluvian's production but they're both good. Lantern can be streamed from Dark Descent's website:
http://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/below

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Kaiho posted:

Might pre-empt you on that :effort:

Less work for me, just make sure you take a poo poo on Machine Head if you do. If not, well maybe I'll do it.... tonight!

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!
I'll just leave this here.
http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/70479

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Fuuuuck, Christopher Lee is the man for the ages!

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Listening to Immolation - Kingdom of Conspiracy for the first time and I'm really pleasantly surprised. I was expecting it to be pretty mediocre to bad, but while I could be a little bit happier with some of the production it's actually a drat solid album. And way faster than I'm used to Immolation being. Fun fun.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

John Magnum posted:

Listening to Immolation - Kingdom of Conspiracy for the first time and I'm really pleasantly surprised. I was expecting it to be pretty mediocre to bad, but while I could be a little bit happier with some of the production it's actually a drat solid album. And way faster than I'm used to Immolation being. Fun fun.
Immolation are easily my favorite active death metal band, so I loved it even if it was a bit by-the-numbers for them. It's not quite as good as Majesty & Decay and obviously isn't another Here in After or Close to a World Below, but definitely top 5 of the year so far.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kaiho posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR2OE3q8mbk

'zat answer your question?

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Henchman of Santa posted:

Anybody checked out the latest Antediluvian or Lantern albums? Both are extremely suffocating atmospheric death metal (think Mitochondrion). I'm not crazy about the Antediluvian's production but they're both good. Lantern can be streamed from Dark Descent's website:
http://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/below

You will want to check out Vorum if you want that old-school dark death metal sound. Their latest album "Poisoned Void" is pretty righteous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unAZjksXwms&feature=youtube_gdata_player

A TURGID FATSO fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 24, 2013

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I do love me some Finndeath, and it's on Spotify (for some reason under a different album title). I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

For anyone using Last.fm, is it worth it at all? How are the recommendations? I'm primarily looking for something semi-passive that will give me good recommendations. Currently I use YouTube to discover new bands.

The only downside with me using Last.fm is that out of the 4 devices I use to play music, only 1 (my laptop) would be sending real-time information to Last.fm. My other devices (iPod touch, iPad and Sansa Clip w/Rockbox) would require me to either sync with my laptop, or use a third party app to dump my playcounts all in one shot.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

hypersleep posted:

For anyone using Last.fm, is it worth it at all? How are the recommendations? I'm primarily looking for something semi-passive that will give me good recommendations. Currently I use YouTube to discover new bands.

The only downside with me using Last.fm is that out of the 4 devices I use to play music, only 1 (my laptop) would be sending real-time information to Last.fm. My other devices (iPod touch, iPad and Sansa Clip w/Rockbox) would require me to either sync with my laptop, or use a third party app to dump my playcounts all in one shot.

I think last.fm is great. It's recommendations it sends you can be a bit spotty, as a lot of it is done on playcount, instead of the time you've spent listening to a band. Going through other people's profiles/the "similar artists" tab is generally the best way to find stuff.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Last.fm is how I find out if bands are going to be playing near me. Probably not the best way to do that, but whatever. It's a nifty service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjji1xuODA

One of my favourite Finnish band made a new album. It's awesome.