Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Dosvidanya posted:

Wait, there's a character who can actually get use out of 2 meters for a bounce cancel? :psyduck:

It's just because his combos are so bad without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

There's also db2~MB in the corner (which sets up an almost inescapable command grab on their wakeup) and dbMB bounce cancel off either b11 or 113 which you can follow with j2 123 XX db1 or j2 22 XX dbf3.

I can't get the bounce-cancel working online, so I forgot about it. Thank you for these additions.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I had the chance to play a good number of Batgirl matches online last night against NotAntagonist and tayhova. She's quite a lot of fun and I think she's really good even without that infinite she had for a day. Any combo that lets her go into d2 XX Bola, j2, 111 leads into a free 50/50 (they were able to backdash out a couple times but I think that was my bad timing or online messing with my timing to blame). Harassing from range with db1 (which is high) and Bola (which is mid but slow) until they make a mistake and either eat a Bola or let you hit a dd3~MB seems to be viable in a lot of matchups, too.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Earlier in the thread someone was mocked for liking Skull Girls and the character vote that occurred, and now a lot of people here are up in arms about a non formal character poll.

Injustice really is an anime game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Because of this, I've started deliberately saving meter and using his super more - working it into combos and with the L3 Venom and it's pretty gross.

Landing Bane's Super at level 3 is the most glorious feeling in the world. It helps that he looks way scary when doing it. It's not THAT powerful but holy crap can it make a difference.

JackDarko posted:

Earlier in the thread someone was mocked for liking Skull Girls and the character vote that occurred, and now a lot of people here are up in arms about a non formal character poll.

Injustice really is an anime game.

People are only upset because Shadow the Hedgehog is winning.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Landing Bane's Super at level 3 is the most glorious feeling in the world. It helps that he looks way scary when doing it. It's not THAT powerful but holy crap can it make a difference.

People are only upset because Shadow the Hedgehog is winning.

If it wasn't Shadow it'd be Tails. Most people were complaining about the possibility of Zatanna not winning.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Well this is cool. Bane's new dash lets him follow up 113 with dash into another string (although maybe only on large characters): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tr6YE9irtQ

I'm gonna play with this and see if I find any other combos that are now possible with his new and improved dash.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Try it on different characters, since I know they have different juggle properties and larger characters tend to stay up in the air longer.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Jmcrofts posted:

Try it on different characters, since I know they have different juggle properties and larger characters tend to stay up in the air longer.

Yeah, it's definitely large characters only. That sucks. Bane almost had a cool thing going.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

JackDarko posted:

If it wasn't Shadow it'd be Tails. Most people were complaining about the possibility of Zatanna not winning.

Zatanna is whose sidekick, again?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Somewhere, Paul Dini's eye just started twitching. He has no idea why.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Batman's in Justice League Unlimited... for all of an episode.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Well this is cool. Bane's new dash lets him follow up 113 with dash into another string (although maybe only on large characters): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tr6YE9irtQ

I'm gonna play with this and see if I find any other combos that are now possible with his new and improved dash.

You WOULD use Mexican Hat Dance for that video.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Another Batgirl thing, I'm starting to wonder if being in Electrified Knuckles most of the time would be overall worthwhile compared to Punch Blades. You lose anywhere between 1%-3% on your combos, but all her punches gain a flat 0.60 or so increase to chip damage (e.g. 111 goes from .07, .07, .16 to .67, .67, .77). It doesn't do anything to any of her specials, though.

The main problem I see with this, though, is that while most of her strings are safe on block, most of them are still minus, so keeping sustained pressure and scoring a bunch of chip off normals might not work unless they're just too scared of b1/b2 mixup or random df2/dd3 to try and poke out.

Here's the punch normals/strings that the game says Batgirl is at advantage or even after, for reference:

1 (+0)
b3 (+8)
f3 (+5)
d1 (+0)
11u23 (+1, last hit is a high kick though)
113 (+5, but the last hit is a kick and there's a gap that's probably punishable)
12b2 (+1)
21 (+2)
b21 (+3, first hit is actually an elbow so unaffected by Electrified Knuckles)

I also noticed that MB Batarang does pretty solid chip (1.75 for the first Batarang and 1.5 for each of the three followups), so something like 111 XX db1~MB does .67 + .67 + .77 + 1.75 + (1.5 x 2 because one of the followup Batarangs misses) = 6.86% in chip for one bar, which might be useful for closing out a match.

Edit: Tested on Lex, his Corp Charge cannot interrupt the Batarang (he actually eats it if he tries), and also he eats the third MB Batarang, so that'd be 8.36% chip. His Corp Charge also doesn't punish the Batarang~MB due to the pushback.

Edit 2: I forgot that Batarang is a high projectile, but amusingly enough if Lex tries to Corps Charge from crouch he still eats it. Characters can crouch jab to interrupt after the string and before the MB Batarangs are thrown.

gannyGrabber posted:

You WOULD use Mexican Hat Dance for that video.

It's not my video, but yes I would've done it if it was.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 23, 2013

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I wanted to take a moment to talk to y'all about clashes, because every time we play we all do dumb poo poo with it.

Here are the basics for what you get (both healing and damage) for each bar more that you wager than your opponent does.

1: 15% (15%/bar)
2: 25% (12.5%/bar)
3: 30% (10%/bar)
4: 33% (8.25%/bar)

So obviously we have diminishing returns for every extra bar you win by, but that's only if your opponent doesn't wager himself.

Let's look at if our opponent wagers 1 bar...

1: 0% (clash tied)
2: 15% (7.5%/bar)
3: 25% (8.33%/bar)
4: 30% (7.5%/bar)

And for 2 bars?

1 or 2: -15% to 0% (clash tied)
3: 15% (5%/bar)
4: 25% (6.25%/bar)

And if they wager 3?

1,2,3: -25% to 0% (clash tied)
4: 15% (3.75%/bar)

So what this quick breakdown tells us is that you usually want to try to win the clash by 2 bars (for a 25% win) as this is the most cost-efficient result. On the same hand, you never want to lose by 2 bars: You'd be giving your opponent the most bang for his buck!

Now, when a clash happens you don't have a huge amount of time to take in all the information on the screen (your/their health remaining, meter count, time, etc), so usually our knee-jerk reaction is to just wager everything. It's safe, but it can cost you coming out of it, so don't do that!

For me, my main rule of thumb is to always try to have a bar of meter remaining when you come out of a clash, especially if you're going to lose the clash: your opponent comes out with a slight frame advantage, and being able to MB a reversal is very important for most characters. Also, when low on health and about to lose out on the clash, consider just taking all the damage against characters who don't have a strong ranged attack. You'll come out of the clash with a single hit left, but you'll have a bunch of meter to burn on them.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Jmcrofts posted:

I'm going to bed before this finishes uploading, but once it's done in an hour or two click here if you wanna see gannyGrabber expose me for the fraud I am:

http://youtu.be/7bTeKXIyfDw

Chilldog you are so nice. Apologizing for your buttons and language. :3:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

gannyGrabber posted:

I wanted to take a moment to talk to y'all about clashes, because every time we play we all do dumb poo poo with it.

I main Sinestro so I have no idea what this clash thing is you're talking about. That's when I meter burn fear blast and then the other guy gains back health after telling me to grow a real mustache, right?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

AndyElusive posted:

I main Sinestro so I have no idea what this clash thing is you're talking about. That's when I meter burn fear blast and then the other guy gains back health after telling me to grow a real mustache, right?

Sinestro has more to fear than usual from Clashes, because for whatever reason his trait disappears during Clash if it was charged up. It also disappears from throw techs and supers. Of course, now it actually charges up fast enough that a Sinestro will reasonably be getting it at least 2-3 times a match, but it still sucks to see that happen.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Sinestro has more to fear than usual from Clashes, because for whatever reason his trait disappears during Clash if it was charged up. It also disappears from throw techs and supers. Of course, now it actually charges up fast enough that a Sinestro will reasonably be getting it at least 2-3 times a match, but it still sucks to see that happen.

I don't know about throw techs but it most certainly goes away after supers, clashes and stage transitions initiated by yourself or the opponent.

Edit:
Sinestros trait will lose all three bars
- After a stage transition
- After you or your opponent connect a super move
- After you or your opponent use a wager

Source: TYM.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 24, 2013

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Jmcrofts posted:

I'm going to bed before this finishes uploading, but once it's done in an hour or two click here if you wanna see gannyGrabber expose me for the fraud I am:

http://youtu.be/7bTeKXIyfDw

I know I've played against you before (Flash player in goon room) and I found this strange every time I saw you, but... man, you really need to start using your meter, even if it's just to squeeze out some extra damage out of your charges/command grabs. I thought you were saving it for some level 3's but it doesn't look like it judging from this video. :psyduck:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Shhh stop telling him about meter, I have enough trouble as-is. Fukkin armor on everything and untechable grabs, man.

E: As a really fun game, try to guess how many fast multi-hitting attacks cat woman has!

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Grundy loses his trait from clashes too.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Just played a bunch of sets against my buddy who uses Nightwing.

Nightwing is a ridiculously good character. Getting out of his pressure game is stupid hard unless your blow meter on pushblock. Our matches had tangible lag (gently caress PLAYING FLASH IN LAG) and its probably a lot easier offline but I can still see it being annoying.

He also has great wake up moves which can make it hard to apply pressure.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 24, 2013

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I main Flash and Nightwing is one of my least favorite opponents as well. I always seem to do well until they switch to the pole :saddowns: You're spot on about the wakeup moves, there are a few opponents who you have to always block against when they go down and they suck for Flash.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm seeing a huge correlation between people who lag horrendously and people who play sinestro/deathstroke. Just wanna reach through the internet and smash their Fisher Price modems to pieces.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Ultimate Fighting Game Tournament (UFGT) pre-tournament casuals: http://www.twitch.tv/gallopingghostarcade/

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/noobde/status/337782958435999744

Interesting.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Well, when you already have Phil LaMarr on speed dial what else would you do?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Someone needs to take Twitter away from Ed Boon.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

AndyElusive posted:

Someone needs to take Twitter away from Ed Boon.

Ed Boon's twitter is a source of constant entertainment. I love watching it.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Does anyone know what the space for cancelling strings into Cyborg's grapple is? There's a couple strings that it feels like it'd be fun to throw at the end of to catch people by surprise and jetting myself back in the middle of a string or after a quick 2 or 3 seems like it'd be fun, but some stuff like 113 seems to be pretty hard to get it to work on.

It actually seems to come out more if I do down, back, upback instead of just down, upback. Still can't roll from down to upback to get it to come out, but it's odd that it's more reliable if I input it the wrong way.

A far less useful thing I found goofing around in practice is that if you hit Batgirl with a crossup into a high, her cape clips straight through her stomach. :v:

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
I want both, but honestly I'm going to say golden age flash, because I love that outfit.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Oh boy, you mean I get to choose between not-Guy Gardner and not-Wally West? Thank you Ed Boon, you truly listen to your fans and only deliver a quality product.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I'd like Garrick. A proper 'elder' fighter would be nice.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

http://youtu.be/DfacOwgvUQ0

Here's SN64 giving me the business with Batgirl.

:negative:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Oh boy, you mean I get to choose between not-Guy Gardner and not-Wally West? Thank you Ed Boon, you truly listen to your fans and only deliver a quality product.

I am positive that the fans that want the GL they recognize from the Justice League cartoon vastly outweigh the fans that even know who Guy Gardner is.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Are you seriously complaining about NRS possibly putting in the black guy everyone remembers from JL and Jay Garrik, the one flash whose costume isn't the exact same poo poo as Barry's?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JackDarko posted:

http://youtu.be/DfacOwgvUQ0

Here's SN64 giving me the business with Batgirl.

:negative:

I see nothing to be ashamed off there, that was a drat good match.

You did have full meter though, odd you didn't try to use it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Equilibrium posted:

Are you seriously complaining about NRS possibly putting in the black guy everyone remembers from JL and Jay Garrik, the one flash whose costume isn't the exact same poo poo as Barry's?

Because Garrik has no chance of winning and we're gonna get Stewart who was the worst central member of the group in the JL cartoon. Do you seriously believe Jay Garrik isn't a joke suggestion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Because Garrik has no chance of winning and we're gonna get Stewart who was the worst central member of the group in the JL cartoon. Do you seriously believe Jay Garrik isn't a joke suggestion?

That's a funny way to spell Hawkgirl. :v:

• Locked thread