Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

kirbysuperstar posted:

Please post your thoughts when they start trying to be more "punk" with their language. Or when Kirari and Kashi try to dress "punk".

Good loving lord, just got to that part! I'm starting to think this dude is just trolling this clueless kids. LMAO. I would love it if he just gives them more and more insane rules and tasks to follow to become "punk rockers"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Cynic Jester posted:

Oh my god, I started playing Cross Channel and played for a while, then I realized Nanaca crash was based on it and I couldn't stop laughing. I can't take it seriously any more.

Well, that changed fast. Christ what a messed up story. And that ending. Urrggghhh.

What's up with so many of these VNs having decidedly unsatisfying endings? I get it in novels where you have multiple routes that are equal, so you get a few different ones, but so many "True" routes are just depressing as gently caress with little closure.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
How is Cross+Channel's ending unsatisfying?

He saves his friends, and for the most part sets them on a good path, thus redeeming himself. His reward for this is the fulfillment of his wish never to hurt anyone.

How the parallel world came to be and such is never explained, but it's not essential to the story, and explaining every single detail tends to ruin things too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Cross Channel's ending is more or less the only thing I actually liked about it. That and Tower of Friends :unsmigghh:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What the? The OP, or one of the early posts of the previous thread promised that Cross Channel's ending was the most satisfying ending he'd ever seen in a VN. I was really looking forward to it with praise like that.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Cross Channel's ending was fine, I just wanted an explanation for Nanaka's existence.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Wow, Higurashi's translation is bad. Even aside from the constant typos, why can't they just use the English word cicada?

I do enjoy Higurashi in general so far, although more for the hyper-competitive games than the actual mystery elements.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 22, 2013

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Nephilm posted:

How is Cross+Channel's ending unsatisfying?

He saves his friends, and for the most part sets them on a good path, thus redeeming himself. His reward for this is the fulfillment of his wish never to hurt anyone.

How the parallel world came to be and such is never explained, but it's not essential to the story, and explaining every single detail tends to ruin things too.

It's all diffuse. Yes, he sends his friends back home, half of which won't be able to move on because they have become completely dependent on his presence, and with his voice going out through the radio, it doesn't feel like they'll move on. His reward for finally getting over the childhood trauma that has haunted him for half his life is stagnation and inertia. He won't ever be able to do anything to act on the realization that he's a person too and both needs and wants human contact. He'll be alone for the rest of his life, and once he dies, he'll wake up alone and keep living through that week, without the benefit of how he moved on from his trauma, nor will he have the memories he cultivated before sending his friends off.

Lastly, the scene at the end where he's sleeping on the roof and starts hearing voices just makes it feel like it's all a dream, or insanity. The lack of explanation for the scifi aspects of the story I don't mind, but it doesn't change the fact that everything points to half the cast slowly going/staying insane after the ending.

I guess I'm just disappointed because I loved everything up until the ending. It's by far one of the better psychological VNs I've read, with all the awkwardness that entails.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Cynic Jester posted:

It's all diffuse. Yes, he sends his friends back home, half of which won't be able to move on because they have become completely dependent on his presence, and with his voice going out through the radio, it doesn't feel like they'll move on. His reward for finally getting over the childhood trauma that has haunted him for half his life is stagnation and inertia. He won't ever be able to do anything to act on the realization that he's a person too and both needs and wants human contact. He'll be alone for the rest of his life, and once he dies, he'll wake up alone and keep living through that week, without the benefit of how he moved on from his trauma, nor will he have the memories he cultivated before sending his friends off.

Lastly, the scene at the end where he's sleeping on the roof and starts hearing voices just makes it feel like it's all a dream, or insanity. The lack of explanation for the scifi aspects of the story I don't mind, but it doesn't change the fact that everything points to half the cast slowly going/staying insane after the ending.

I guess I'm just disappointed because I loved everything up until the ending. It's by far one of the better psychological VNs I've read, with all the awkwardness that entails.

I think you misunderstand. His friends are all broken people, and there's only so much he can do; some will get better, some he can do nothing about. This is something he himself muses, as for instance with glasses girl her issues are very deep seated and he can't even reach them, and rich girl has a lot more baggage behind her keeping her as she is.

And he doesn't get over his childhood trauma. That's the point of his character; he's more broken than all of them, so his solution is to isolate himself so that he won't hurt others. He doesn't "realize" that he's human with human needs, rather, his ultimate conclusion is that though he's monstruous, ultimately he'd prefer to be human, and the only way he can find to do that is to be apart. He's already broken, and even if the possibility of 'fixing' himself existed, he'd rather not risk it.

Of course, Taichi's solution isn't perfect, and *because* he's human he feels the effects of the isolation acutely, but at the same time he admits he's never been more at peace.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Silver2195 posted:

Wow, Higurashi's translation is bad. Even aside from the constant typos, why can't they just use the English word cicada?

I do enjoy Higurashi in general so far, although more for the hyper-competitive games than the actual mystery elements.
Are you using the editorashi patch? It's still sort of incomplete, and I'm pretty sure for whatever reason it doesn't work on some parts, but should make it a bit more manageable. Thankfully the Kai chapters were a bit better.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

Anyway, I think the reason Ryukishi07 didn't just write a book was because he seems to be a firm believer of needing music/fx to create atmosphere. Hence why he goes out of his way to describe them as "sound novels" rather than visual novels.

Man that's pretty cool, the first thing I noticed about it was how much the sound seemed to be in the forefront.

I figured it was just a stroke of luck that it was directed so well.

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.
I'm reading Episode 1 of Umineko no Naku Koro Ni and... (huge spoilers)

Holy poo poo, did six characters just get mass-murdered? I guessed there were going to be a death pretty soon, but I didn't expect that at loving all. That's an entire one third of the cast. Most of them reasonably well-developed characters, too..

Very interested to see where it's going to go from here.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

So I take it you didn't play Higurashi first? That's how I went into it. Enjoy, it's a good one.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Zaito posted:

Holy poo poo, did six characters just get mass-murdered? I guessed there were going to be a death pretty soon, but I didn't expect that at loving all. That's an entire one third of the cast. Most of them reasonably well-developed characters, too..

Please blog the crap out of all your reactions. This will be magical :allears:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Rodyle posted:

Not like me though. You'll get probated that way. :saddowns:

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Cynic Jester posted:

I was also unsatisfied with the ending - probably because I prefer happy endings to sad endings and sad endings to vague endings. I mean the ending isn't really vague - it's pretty explicit what happens (and if the magic isn't explained who cares) - but I can't think of a better word because it's somewhere in between 'and they lived happily ever after with love and smiles and rainbows' and 'then they all got cancer and after 6 months of heartbreaking recovery a truck ran them over while a serial killer killed their families (and their pets)'. I mean obviously good media should cover a broader range than just the two extremes...

But that doesn't stop me from not liking how it ends I mean him and all his friends are broken and terrible people but he manages to isolate them from him (and set them free) ...so that's good I guess? Happy end? Everyone escapes except the hero making his heroic sacrifice... But to me it just felt kind of meaningless because you know - eventually he'll forget and go back to being just as broken and terrible while they will all go on with their lives to some greater or lesser extent (right before sending them off he drops some huge drama-bomb on most of their heads, so knowing what we know about them, it seems reasonable to assume most of them won't be 'moving past' it). Meanwhile our hero will live on in unpopulated purgatory for all eternity with any and all character growth he may have experienced or ever will experience being reset eventually... I mean what's the moral of that story?

I dunno what the moral is but I enjoyed the VN in spite of that, I just felt like the ending was too lukewarm - nothing really felt resolved for our main character that is. I mean him saying he feels at peace doesn't really mean much to me when his personality resets every week. Of course I never got around to reading Tower of Friends so I might be missing something important.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Sinking Ship posted:

I was also unsatisfied with the ending - probably because I prefer happy endings to sad endings and sad endings to vague endings. I mean the ending isn't really vague - it's pretty explicit what happens (and if the magic isn't explained who cares) - but I can't think of a better word because it's somewhere in between 'and they lived happily ever after with love and smiles and rainbows' and 'then they all got cancer and after 6 months of heartbreaking recovery a truck ran them over while a serial killer killed their families (and their pets)'. I mean obviously good media should cover a broader range than just the two extremes...

But that doesn't stop me from not liking how it ends I mean him and all his friends are broken and terrible people but he manages to isolate them from him (and set them free) ...so that's good I guess? Happy end? Everyone escapes except the hero making his heroic sacrifice... But to me it just felt kind of meaningless because you know - eventually he'll forget and go back to being just as broken and terrible while they will all go on with their lives to some greater or lesser extent (right before sending them off he drops some huge drama-bomb on most of their heads, so knowing what we know about them, it seems reasonable to assume most of them won't be 'moving past' it). Meanwhile our hero will live on in unpopulated purgatory for all eternity with any and all character growth he may have experienced or ever will experience being reset eventually... I mean what's the moral of that story?

I dunno what the moral is but I enjoyed the VN in spite of that, I just felt like the ending was too lukewarm - nothing really felt resolved for our main character that is. I mean him saying he feels at peace doesn't really mean much to me when his personality resets every week. Of course I never got around to reading Tower of Friends so I might be missing something important.

For the record, Tower of Friends isn't really an extension to the main story, it's more of a side story. And it's also the most darkly funny thing i've ever read. A tower of friends, holy poo poo. :allears:

As to the ending, I thought it was pretty good. The moral is an unconventional one, sure. But the thing is, Taichi was able to look at himself and genuinely decide that the world was better off without him. It wasn't a snap judgement, or a decision made in the middle of depression, it was a conclusion he reached after a lot of thought. In a way, it can kind of be seen as a patient on life support deciding to let go - he tells his friends to leave the room, convinces them one by one to move on without him, and then he lets himself die. He was too far gone to be saved - and if you want some honest to god proof of that, then you definitely want to read Tower of Friends.

Looking back on it, I didn't really like it at the time since it was a very uncomfortable read for a lot of reasons, but now I think it was really a rather good story. It went really deep into the psyche of a disturbed human being, and came up with a conclusion that I doubt many others would have reached. Very, very interesting read.

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe

Zaito posted:

As someone who is also reading Umineko without any experience with Higurashi, I am curious on your thoughts as well. Currently I'm in the early parts of Episode 4 hoping that the Chiru patch actually releases in sync with my reading pace. I may as well start hoping to find 10 tons of pure gold with the chances of that happening.

Umineko Episode 3/speculation: Not sure how after Episode 2, but I bought in to Beatrice's act hook, line and sinker.

I'm still skeptical on the idea that "Red Text = Undeniable Truth" and I really hope they do not undermine that given how much of the discourse revolves on this 'rule'.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Question about the S;G, R;N, and C;N VNs.

I just came off of watching R;N and I have watched S;G as well (and was recommended never to watch the C;H anime) and I want to start on the VNs. Which one of the three should I start with?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

SeedyV posted:

I'm still skeptical on the idea that "Red Text = Undeniable Truth" and I really hope they do not undermine that given how much of the discourse revolves on this 'rule'.

Nah there's no real reason to doubt the Red Text. Remember, it's a "rule" Beatrice made. On a story level, it exists to allow Battler to have a bit more even footing with Beatrice. Without the Red Truth defining something as absolute, their competition would pretty much be Beatrice going "It's magic!" And Battler going "No it's not!" With the Red, it allows Battler to make theories and Beatrice to deny or confirm them without there being any fuss about whether or not Beatrice's confirmations or denials can be trusted. On a meta level, it'd be pretty mean of the author to present something as trusted clues and later rescind that.

Of course, this doesn't mean you can just look at it blindly. What's said in Red is the truth, the literal truth. Expect a lot of word play to tell things that are true, but misleading.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Question about the S;G, R;N, and C;N VNs.

I just came off of watching R;N and I have watched S;G as well (and was recommended never to watch the C;H anime) and I want to start on the VNs. Which one of the three should I start with?

Unless you can read Japanese you won't be able to read R;N for probably a year or two since it's not on PC yet and thus no translation project, but since you already watched the S;G anime I'd recommend probably reading C;H first, unless you really want more steins;gate, then go for that instead.

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

Rodyle posted:

Sure thing, when something interesting happens! I can give you speculation in the meantime, I guess. I haven't read very far beyond the scene in my previous spoiler.

Maria just told the family the meaning of the seal (a sacrifice to get you free from your chains and whatnot). It's very likely that she knows more about the death than she shows. First of all, she was trusted enough by 'Beatrice' to read an important note. She didn't react in a very negative way when she was told about her mothers death. She started to behave in an unusual way when she explained things about the occult. I'm starting to think that 'Beatrice' told her more stuff than to just read that note. Not sure what her entire role is, though.. But I doubt that she killed anyone. Maybe she just knows exactly what's going on and doesn't tell anyone because she is a kid who no-one asked a specific enough question?

I also don't really feel that it was intended to be a real sacrifice.. I mean, what kind of formal sacrifice uses some dirty gardening storehouse as its location? :v: That idea got me to the conclusion that the murders happened for another reason, somewhere else, and that the bodies were moved there later by someone else.. Maybe in order to create that seal to scare the family or put suspicion towards Kinzo, just like Battler said was a possibility. But if it wasn't originally intended to be a sacrifice, I can't think of a motivation for someone to kill six people at once..

That's all I can think of for now, time to continue reading.

EDIT: The first part of my spoiler-speculation have practically been confirmed now! Now to figure out what that actually means...

pepperoni and keys fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 23, 2013

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

klapman posted:

For the record, Tower of Friends isn't really an extension to the main story, it's more of a side story.

As to the ending, I thought it was pretty good.

My thoughts.

Another thing worth pointing out is that without analyzing the possibility of the world disappearing (as the phenomena that's causing it to reset could either solve itself or advance to the point where it finally consumes all), or Taichi coming up with a backup plan to have his reset self find the permanent spot and what he had been up to, the truth is... everybody dies. The Taichi that freed his friends and came to the conclusion that he'd be better off in that lonely world will one day die, just like any other person, if not from an accident or his decision, old age will still eventually take him. And that will be the end of his story.

A brand new Taichi might appear, back at a point where he had just left his friends the night before, only to find and empty world, but that one's story is irrelevant.

So the complaint that his ending is meaningless because he'll one day forget everything is equal to complaining about how he's not immortal. It's silly in that context; even in the vast majority of "happily ever after" stories the truth is that all the characters will die one day. To dwell on the fact is stupidly nihilistic, and if such things bother you that much then you can just make up your own headcanon about how all different versions of Taichi go on to the afterlife to make sick jokes with each other for all time.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Dr Pepper posted:

[a whole bunch of generic umineko spoilers]
[chapter 8 ending of umineko spoilers, don't read this, new guys, don't read it none at all] until the end when it turns out you can disavow the red text if it hurts your feelings so badly you turn into hamburger but then I am not arguing because yes it did hurt my feelings that badly.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Pffft she just revived them with magic duh. What part of "Witch of Resurrection" didn't you get huh? :v:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The disclaimer when you install the official English edition of Saya no Uta is making me laugh pretty hard.

quote:

Thank you for purchasing Saya no Uta - The Song of Saya. Please agree to this important statement before installing.

This game is a work of fiction intended for consumption by mature adults only. It contains artistic depiction of sexual acts as a central element of the story, and asserts that sex is an important part of adult relationships. You must be at least 18 years old to play this game or view its content. No character engaged in any sexually explicit activity is intended to be under 18 years of age, and no actual minor was employed in the creation of this game. Any similarity to real or imagined persons, places, or organizations is purely coincidental.

Please note that the completely fictional sexual encounters depicted in this game do not always include safe sex practices, nor do they necessarily demonstrate the full range of sensitivity, communication, and intimacy necessary to sustain a real life interpersonal relationship.

Yeah, I'd say that second part sums up Saya no Uta pretty well.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Oh my god, that is loving precious! I didn't even get that far into Saya no Uta, and I can tell that's the understatement of the century. Whoever wrote that disclaimer is pretty alright in my book.

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

What the heck, Umineko. (Episode 1 spoilers)

Eva and Hideyoshi, Kanon, and Kinzo? At this point I'm not sure there will even be any characters left for Episode 2-8! (Unless those episodes introduces new characters which isn't exactly unlikely given the length of the series)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Aren't you just precious. :allears:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Zaito posted:

What the heck, Umineko. (Episode 1 spoilers)

Eva and Hideyoshi, Kanon, and Kinzo? At this point I'm not sure there will even be any characters left for Episode 2-8! (Unless those episodes introduces new characters which isn't exactly unlikely given the length of the series)

Hahahahah. :allears: Yeah this was basically my reaction as well.

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

Wait a second, the first bunch of deaths and the second bunch of deaths matches the first two Twilight-lines from the witches epitaph perfectly*. "Sacrifice the six chosen" and "tear apart the two who are close". How did I miss that? I don't know how to interpret the rest of that epitath, but assuming it all comes true at least 5 more people is going to die!

*excluding Kinzo who died a long time ago and Kanon who apparently wasn't dead (for now).

EDIT: Never mind, Kanon was confirmed dead a few screens after I typed this out

pepperoni and keys fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 23, 2013

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Zaito posted:

Wait a second, the first bunch of deaths and the second bunch of deaths matches the first two Twilight-lines from the witches epitaph perfectly*. "Sacrifice the six chosen" and "tear apart the two who are close". How did I miss that? I don't know how to interpret the rest of that epitath, but assuming it all comes true at least 5 more people is going to die!

Haha, think I figured that part out during the character discussions after the first discovery myself, though I can't remember when the game outright slaps you in the face with it.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

klapman posted:

Oh my god, that is loving precious! I didn't even get that far into Saya no Uta, and I can tell that's the understatement of the century. Whoever wrote that disclaimer is pretty alright in my book.

I don't know, I don't really find it funny because that's the generic message that they put before every Visual Novel with sexual content though. It's not SnU specific.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Continuing going through Kira Kira. It appears to be the protagonist's destiny to cross dress. All he wants to do is play in the band as himself! Why must all these outside factors force him to cross dress? Why? :negative:

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Stall_19 posted:

Continuing going through Kira Kira. It appears to be the protagonist's destiny to cross dress. All he wants to do is play in the band as himself! Why must all these outside factors force him to cross dress? Why? :negative:

Because it is hilarious.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

jonjonaug posted:

Because it is hilarious.

Pretty much. Especially because exactly one person ever is fooled by it and he really doesn't care when he finds out the truth and that ending is awesome.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I....I can't do it. I can't finish My Girlfriend is the President. :catstare: I think I'm going to go back to Uminkeo No Naku Koro Ni. I think I've recovered enough from MuvLuv to do that.

I'm not sure what happened to me. I really like this at the beginning of it...

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

"Kirari is happy." Sure come across this sentence a lot in Kira Kira.

Edit: Lol not 5 minutes after I post I get a "Kirari is really happy" sentence. Also nice to see someone else get hit on than our cross dressing protagonist even if the guy was cartoonishly creepy.

Edit2: Oh crap they changed things up. "Kirari is upset"

Stall_19 fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 24, 2013

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Nephilm posted:

My thoughts.

Another thing worth pointing out is that without analyzing the possibility of the world disappearing (as the phenomena that's causing it to reset could either solve itself or advance to the point where it finally consumes all), or Taichi coming up with a backup plan to have his reset self find the permanent spot and what he had been up to, the truth is... everybody dies. The Taichi that freed his friends and came to the conclusion that he'd be better off in that lonely world will one day die, just like any other person, if not from an accident or his decision, old age will still eventually take him. And that will be the end of his story.

A brand new Taichi might appear, back at a point where he had just left his friends the night before, only to find and empty world, but that one's story is irrelevant.

So the complaint that his ending is meaningless because he'll one day forget everything is equal to complaining about how he's not immortal. It's silly in that context; even in the vast majority of "happily ever after" stories the truth is that all the characters will die one day. To dwell on the fact is stupidly nihilistic, and if such things bother you that much then you can just make up your own headcanon about how all different versions of Taichi go on to the afterlife to make sick jokes with each other for all time.

More Cross Channel

Well, my view is the exact opposite. Because everybody dies, at some point, he will reset. And live forever. As his old self. Everything points towards this guy being stuck in a meaningless existence for eternity, without even memories to fall back on. If he *just* died, and didn't loop, I'd have a completely different view of the ending. Getting into the metaphysics of "Are his looped incarnations still him?" is pretty pointless, as the entire VN assumes you're good with "Yes" as the answer to that. You follow literally the same protagonist throughout the game, even though he resets frequently. It's not a specific Taichi who decides that being friendless for the reader. And even if it was, if you view each Taichi as an individual, condemning infinite individuals to a life of suffering and solitude because they might do something wrong is so hosed up on so many levels.

Honestly, the ending feels like something out of medieval Catholicism. "You're bad, so you'll lead a lovely life for 50-100 years, then die, and suffer for eternity". Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Cynic Jester posted:

More Cross Channel

Even if you adopt that view... no, precisely because you adopt that view, why do you think he's condemning himself to an eternity of suffering? He finally gets the peace he wanted, and if you take it as all of the Taichis being the same, then it's the Taichi collective that reached that conclusion; the peace all of them wanted.

Of course, after the current one dies the new one has little to guide himself by barring mystical mother figure showing up, but he's not the kind of person who would despair over not finding anyone - again, because this is the kind of thing he deep down wanted - and a forthcoming reset would kick in before potential insanity over loneliness develops.

Sure it's not perfect, but if anything, it's closer to heaven.

• Locked thread