Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatsSoNotPLUR
Nov 29, 2011

Hmm..Is there any graceful way to handle this? Should I reconsider?

Also to clarify this isn't for like 3 months.

ThatsSoNotPLUR fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

ThatsSoNotPLUR posted:

Hmm..Is there any graceful way to handle this?

Tell them as soon as possible -- i.e., right now. Apologize profusely and explain that you'll help find a replacement.

ThatsSoNotPLUR
Nov 29, 2011

Hmm. If this is that inconsiderate of an action even when finding a replacement, maybe I won't.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

ThatsSoNotPLUR posted:

Hmm. If this is that inconsiderate of an action even when finding a replacement, maybe I won't.

You're essentially asking to break a contract. It's understandable, but that doesn't make it any less of an inconvenience. I don't know the people you're living with, but three months' notice and an offer of help should be fine.

ThatsSoNotPLUR
Nov 29, 2011

I was imagining I would stay on the lease and have a sublettor, but does it make more sense to actually take off my name? Should I offer my part of the security deposit?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

ThatsSoNotPLUR posted:

I was imagining I would stay on the lease and have a sublettor, but does it make more sense to actually take off my name? Should I offer my part of the security deposit?

Who knows. Talk to your roommates.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
Dude, one of my roommates just gave us 2 weeks notice while we were in the middle of dealing with bedbugs. 3 months notice should be fine.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I cracked the LCD screen of my PSP 3000. Are those repair kits they sell on Amazon any good, or would I be better off sending it to some repair company?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Has anyone else noticed lately that certain youtube videos will stop buffering/playing at a given point and then just stop ... forever? Most videos are fine, my internet connection is fine (50M/25M), MSE says my Win7 x64 PC is virus free, but it's driving me nuts. For example, these three videos will stop loading at 0:00 -- I've left them open for more than an hour to see if they move, but no luck. Meanwhile I watched a dozen other youtube videos at high and low quality with no problem. I tried chrome, IE, and firefox, with and without Adblock enabled; same result. :confused:

These stop at 0:00, changing resolution quality has no effect:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOHjVZkx8DM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X_rg3dttoY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EllYgcWmcAY

This one was stopped at around 1:00, but switching to 720p made it buffer and play at normal speed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRHBgf2gH0U

Is youtube just being weird or is there possibly something wrong with my PC (don't have another one here to check with.) What kind of problem could cause some youtubes to just hang forever?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Those all work for me fine. I have no explanation or solution for you, however.

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.

randyest posted:

Has anyone else noticed lately that certain youtube videos will stop buffering/playing at a given point and then just stop ... forever? Most videos are fine, my internet connection is fine (50M/25M), MSE says my Win7 x64 PC is virus free, but it's driving me nuts. For example, these three videos will stop loading at 0:00 -- I've left them open for more than an hour to see if they move, but no luck. Meanwhile I watched a dozen other youtube videos at high and low quality with no problem. I tried chrome, IE, and firefox, with and without Adblock enabled; same result. :confused:

These stop at 0:00, changing resolution quality has no effect:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOHjVZkx8DM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X_rg3dttoY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EllYgcWmcAY

This one was stopped at around 1:00, but switching to 720p made it buffer and play at normal speed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRHBgf2gH0U

Is youtube just being weird or is there possibly something wrong with my PC (don't have another one here to check with.) What kind of problem could cause some youtubes to just hang forever?

I also have no solution but have a similar issue. It seems internet related. I don't have the problem when I'm at home (cox) but I do at my boyfriend's house (verizon).

And exact same issue including that switching resolution will sometimes make it buffer again but sometimes not.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
I saw this picture posted on Facebook, which made me wonder:

When they colorize old black/white pictures, are they just picking colors at random? Or is there some sort of algorithm/math/magic involved?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

supkirbs posted:

I also have no solution but have a similar issue. It seems internet related. I don't have the problem when I'm at home (cox) but I do at my boyfriend's house (verizon).
Maybe there are different CDNs and certain ISPs have having trouble talking to the ones that host those videos. I'm on Cox and don't have the problem.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

JPrime posted:

I saw this picture posted on Facebook, which made me wonder:

When they colorize old black/white pictures, are they just picking colors at random? Or is there some sort of algorithm/math/magic involved?

Basically yes. You can kinda get a sense for what colors things were back in the day and match them up as best you can.

The artist for that particular picture posted it on Reddit and talked about it a bit.
http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/1ex763/auto_wreck_in_washington_dc_1921_colorized_by_me/

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 24, 2013

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the replies. I'm on Verizon FiOS and it's just started happening a few days ago. I'll try at work tomorrow and bring home my laptop totry to figre out if it's PC or network. Googling and supkirbs' reply seem to indicate network, unless they've got the same PC issue I do :iiam:

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.

randyest posted:

Thanks for the replies. I'm on Verizon FiOS and it's just started happening a few days ago. I'll try at work tomorrow and bring home my laptop totry to figre out if it's PC or network. Googling and supkirbs' reply seem to indicate network, unless they've got the same PC issue I do :iiam:

I wish I had a solution for you, it drives me insane.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

supkirbs posted:

I wish I had a solution for you, it drives me insane.
:woop:
I ran the free version of ccleaner and let it kill everything except my cookies and logins, rebooted, and now I can't find a video that hangs! All the problematic ones I posted now play instantly at any resolution. Hope it works for you too!
:iia:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

randyest posted:

Has anyone else noticed lately that certain youtube videos will stop buffering/playing at a given point and then just stop ... forever?

I find this just happens sometimes, and usually closing the browser and reopening it gets things back to normal. Also sometimes videos will start playing fine, then part way through just start loading really slowly so you have to pause and wait for it to load. I've never been able to see any reason for that either.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just started using Chrome recently, so forgive me if this is easy. In Firefox, I could hit ctrl+home to go to my home page. In Chrome, that just goes to the starting page with my frequently-visited and bookmarked pages. Is it possible to have Firefox-like behavior?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

hooah posted:

I just started using Chrome recently, so forgive me if this is easy. In Firefox, I could hit ctrl+home to go to my home page. In Chrome, that just goes to the starting page with my frequently-visited and bookmarked pages. Is it possible to have Firefox-like behavior?

chrome://settings/homePageOverlay

Show Home Button - New Tab Page - Change - set what you want

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I am an Amazon Prime member and I order stuff rather frequently. Yesterday I got in 3 boxes, only two of which I had ordered. The third contained a rather expensive set of headphones. The shipping label looks just like the others, made out to me and everything, and the tracking number is the same as one of the others except for the last 4 digits. I checked my order history and these don't appear on there. What the hell happened?

edit: I tried searching through my order history using the order number on the invoice in the box and no results.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I am an Amazon Prime member and I order stuff rather frequently. Yesterday I got in 3 boxes, only two of which I had ordered. The third contained a rather expensive set of headphones. The shipping label looks just like the others, made out to me and everything, and the tracking number is the same as one of the others except for the last 4 digits. I checked my order history and these don't appear on there. What the hell happened?

edit: I tried searching through my order history using the order number on the invoice in the box and no results.

You just got yourself a free pair of headphones. Someone there screwed up somewhere.

You can contact Amazon if your conscience gets to you about it but unless they are $250 or more they will probably just tell you to keep them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks. They were only $112 which I guess isn't that much for headphones. Audio Technica brand, which I'm not familiar with. I'm really curious as to how a shipping label gets generated accidentally. I mean, I assume it went out at the same time as the other items I ordered, and the two boxes with similar tracking numbers both list the weight as 3 pounds. Probably some human error involved in there somewhere. I'll send the folks at Amazon a note and see what they want me to do.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

ThatsSoNotPLUR posted:

With three months' notice, it's really not that bad, and you'd be doing it with only three months or so left on the lease, right?

I'm just saying you should understand that you are inconveniencing them, and do whatever is reasonable to make it less inconvenient. But if this is something you've wanted to do and the opportunity is presenting itself, loving do it, just make it as easy on them as you can.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Yeet posted:

Not sure if this was worth its own thread so I figure I'll play it safe and post here. My dad's birthday is coming up and I figured it would be cool to give him some history. Some family history!

I want to give him a genealogy record of however far back it can go. Neither me or my brothers ever met our grandpa on my dad's side (died before we were born) so it would be awesome for us as well. Problem is my parents are from Germany and moved to Canada in..well I'm not even sure I think 1984 and then to the states in 1993. Point is any records I'd be looking for are strictly from Germany, and the top hits I've google'd aren't too helpful.

Maybe I just suck at google but I'd love to get in touch with someone or a website who can trace those records and I'd certainly pay some big dollars for it. Is this just a shot in the dark?

I don't know if this helps, but a quick Google has led me to this:
http://genealogy-database.findthebest.com/q/1/3263/What-countries-does-the-Ancestry-com-genealogy-database-have-records-for

Basically, you can look at this list and see what genealogy searches offer different countries.

That led me to the main site: http://genealogy-database.findthebest.com/

Companies that I had never heard of show up on that list and it seemed to indicate that most of them had records for other countries, including Germany.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 17:46 on May 24, 2013

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

randyest posted:

It happened to me too on a certain video on Verizon DSL. Ironically if I went on my phone and watched the video through my data plan (Verizon Wireless) it would run fine.

Could be deliberate packet shaping, could be clogged tubes, could be YouTube being retarded. Who knows.

Lyz fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 24, 2013

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'll send the folks at Amazon a note and see what they want me to do.

Don't bother unless you're feeling especially noble (or are a glutton for punishment). If someone sends you something you didn't order you're entitled to keep and use it at no cost. Back when the Consumerist was still worth reading there were pretty frequent stories of people in similar situations as you trying to make good who got nothing in return but more problems.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Tiggum posted:

I find this just happens sometimes, and usually closing the browser and reopening it gets things back to normal. Also sometimes videos will start playing fine, then part way through just start loading really slowly so you have to pause and wait for it to load. I've never been able to see any reason for that either.

Lyz posted:

It happened to me too on a certain video on Verizon DSL. Ironically if I went on my phone and watched the video through my data plan (Verizon Wireless) it would run fine.

Could be deliberate packet shaping, could be clogged pipes, could be YouTube being retarded. Who knows.
It was definitely my PC, apparently the Adobe Flash
cache or something got screwed up somehow. My laptop, 3 ipads, 2 iphones, and my work laptop never had a problem on any videos using the same network/ISP. And when I ran ccleaner on my problem PC it went away instantly.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

randyest posted:

It was definitely my PC, apparently the Adobe Flash
cache or something got screwed up somehow. My laptop, 3 ipads, 2 iphones, and my work laptop never had a problem on any videos using the same network/ISP. And when I ran ccleaner on my problem PC it went away instantly.

Hmmm, I will have to try that, but even on my phone connected to our wireless the video I was trying to watch ran slow. After some swearing at my phone because it kept reconnecting to wireless after I turned it off, the video ran fine through just the data plan.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Lyz posted:

Hmmm, I will have to try that, but even on my phone connected to our wireless the video I was trying to watch ran slow. After some swearing at my phone because it kept reconnecting to wireless after I turned it off, the video ran fine through just the data plan.
I've never had a problem with any video being slow. It was either lightning fast light it always has been, or literally stopped and would not progress even after letting it sit for ours, reloading the page, closing/reopening the browser, switching browsers, rebooting, etc.

Maybe a different issue you're having.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Is it just me picking up on this now or have goons/everyone always added in commas for stuff like this:

Mad Moxxi posted:

I'm on a roll, tonight.

Jigsaw posted:

Edit: Well, I missed a page. Carry on, then.

The top one especially just looks and reads so awkward. What the hell is going on?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

randyest posted:

I've never had a problem with any video being slow. It was either lightning fast light it always has been, or literally stopped and would not progress even after letting it sit for ours, reloading the page, closing/reopening the browser, switching browsers, rebooting, etc.

Maybe a different issue you're having.

Try this:
http://mitchribar.com/2013/02/how-to-stop-youtube-sucking-windows-guide/

e: for anyone else I guess

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 25, 2013

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Is it just me picking up on this now or have goons/everyone always added in commas for stuff like this:

Mad Moxxi posted:

I'm on a roll, tonight.

Jigsaw posted:

Edit: Well, I missed a page. Carry on, then.
The top one especially just looks and reads so awkward. What the hell is going on?

The first looks iffy, but I don't see a problem with the second. It is appropriate to use commas to distinguish "parenthetical" or "introductory" elements - things that don't change the meaning of the sentence, but are included as additional information. For example, your sentence could be written as "The top one, especially, just looks so awkward." (It looks awkward and reads awkwardly, so I don't know how to salvage your sentence. See me after class. :eng99:)

On the other hand, yes, people tend to overuse commas, especially in places where they'd naturally pause while speaking. People on Something Awful aren't exempt from this tendency, although, honestly, the grammer here is orders of magnitude better than I've seen elsewhere.

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas.htm

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Is there a thread for helping people remember a book they've read before from vague details given by people?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Yes.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
We had a Pakistani guy at work that would occasionally bring in this pink drink with crushed pistachios in it. I'm pretty sure it was milk with some syrup or something added along with the pistachios, and I think it was a Pakistani thing. Does anyone know the name for it so I can find the stuff to make it? He got fired and I need my fix
Edit: I don't know how I didn't find it on google the first time but its Sharbat.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Argghh, I can't believe I missed it. (So very tired.)
Thanks!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
What is the "It's free real estate." :smug: meme about?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Mister Macys posted:

Looks like something from the Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!. Which virtually guarantees that the gif is devoid of meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.

Mister Macys posted:

It's this sketch: http://youtu.be/cd4-UnU8lWY

Edit: It's just what it says. It's free real estate (for Jim Boonie only)