Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shut up gelly
Oct 27, 2011
there was some pretty heinous lag last night when we were doing tdq (i channeled storm torrent for a good 45 seconds at one point). apparently verizon were having issues, but i noticed it too even though i'm in london. i was in hong kong recently and i had a pretty high ping (350?) but i wasn't spiking, which was odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Wait, why is everyone buying Storm Legion? Can't we get it for free with that Raptr thing?

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009
Yes, just play Rift Lite for 13 hours with Raptr running at the same time and then you own Storm Legion.

My Gimmick Name
Sep 11, 2004

zerocrash posted:

Yes, just play Rift Lite for 13 hours with Raptr running at the same time and then you own Storm Legion.

You don't even need to be playing, I just afk'ed and it auto-kicked me but the timer kept running. Crtl + Tab pulls up the timer, as long as it's ticking you're fine.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
Do you get a code or does your account auto-upgrade? If it's a code, is it transferrable?

I have rift and storm legion, but if I could get a code to give to somebody I'd do the raptr thing.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

mr. nazi posted:

Do you get a code or does your account auto-upgrade? If it's a code, is it transferrable?

I have rift and storm legion, but if I could get a code to give to somebody I'd do the raptr thing.

You can do this. It's a transferable code.

lsp
Sep 1, 2008

Oh my glob. What the stuff are you doing?

Zoness posted:

A lot of the third-party websites give guides for how to make specs for end-game PvP or PvE. The class-specific guides sections on the official forums will often have a few grinding specs though.

Here's a collection of guides that may prove useful to those who don't want to sift through the forums. Read through, make your own decisions and feel free to ask, though most abilities are explained in their tooltips. Additionally, anyone else that wants to add to this or corrections or whatever go ahead and append.

:frogsiren: These guides are primarily for level 60, though can be adapted to lower level point spreads at your discretion :frogsiren:

Mage
DPS: 61 Pyro
DPS: 61 Warlock
DPS: AOE Damage+Support - 61 Dominator (Much of this crosses over to PVE as well)
Healing: 61 Chloro
Support: Archon (various builds)

Cleric
DPS: Melee - 61 Shaman
DPS: Ranged - 61 Inquisitor
DPS: AOE Ranged - 58 Cabalist
Healing: Raid Heals - 61 Warden
Healing: Single Target - 61 Sentinel
Healing: Raid Shielding - 54 Purifier/22 Sentinel
Healing: Damage Prevention + Heals - 61 Defiler
Tank: 61 Justicar

Rogue
DPS: Melee - 61 Assassin
DPS: Melee - 44 Nightblade/32 Assassin
DPS: Ranged - 61 Marksman
DPS: Ranged - 61 Ranger
DPS: AOE Ranged - 44 Tact/32 Marksman (Post title not updated to the new point spread)
Support: Raid Buffs/Utility - 61 Bard Really only want to use this if you don't have a chloro for ability cost reduction
Support: Raid Buffs/AOE Heals/Utility - 40 Bard/36 Tactician the standard expected bard spec
Tank: 61 Riftstalker

Warrior
DPS: Melee - 61 Riftblade
DPS: Melee - 61 Paragon
DPS: Melee - 61 Warlord
DPS: Ranged - 61 Tempest
DPS: AOE - 61 Champion
Support: Beastmaster Multiple variations
Tank: Higher Mitigation+Heals - 58 Paladin/18 Voidknight
Tank: Moderate Mitigation+DPS - 61 Voidknight
Tank: Highest Magic Mitigation+AOE - 58 Reaver/18 Paladin

Edit: Corrected the Cleric Purifier point distribution in the link
Can we get this in the OP?

lsp fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 24, 2013

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
I joined in. My name is Parapara.

lsp
Sep 1, 2008

Caught up on invites to here

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So, how is riftblade for leveling/dps. I made a shaman because I couldn't get rift lade to work right, but I like the idea behind the soul. I then saw that rb/tempest build a few pages back and was wondering which build is better, shaman or riftblade? I'm too indecisive so I need help choosing. Thanks.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Elblanco posted:

So, how is riftblade for leveling/dps. I made a shaman because I couldn't get rift lade to work right, but I like the idea behind the soul. I then saw that rb/tempest build a few pages back and was wondering which build is better, shaman or riftblade? I'm too indecisive so I need help choosing. Thanks.

...Riftblade is a Warrior soul and Shaman is a Cleric soul so I'm not sure what you're trying to decide here. :v:

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

lsp posted:

Here's a collection of guides that may prove useful to those who don't want to sift through the forums. Read through, make your own decisions and feel free to ask, though most abilities are explained in their tooltips. Additionally, anyone else that wants to add to this or corrections or whatever go ahead and append.

:frogsiren: These guides are primarily for level 60, though can be adapted to lower level point spreads at your discretion :frogsiren:

Mage

Cleric
DPS: Melee - 61 Shaman
DPS: Ranged - 61 Inquisitor
DPS: AOE Ranged - 58 Cabalist
Healing: Raid Heals - 61 Warden
Healing: Single Target - 61 Sentinel
Healing: Raid Shielding - 61 Purifier
Healing: Damage Prevention + Heals - 61 Defiler
Tank: 61 Justicar

This Druid/Justicar leveling build has been pretty fun for me, although it doesn't really get all the necessary abilities until level 44. I'm using it when I get bored of using the Beacon.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

...Riftblade is a Warrior soul and Shaman is a Cleric soul so I'm not sure what you're trying to decide here. :v:

Well yea that what I'm trying to decide, cleric or warrior melee dps.

E: sorry, I mainly just want to know if riftblade is viable dps, or if I should go with shaman for dps. Its bothering me because I can't decide if I like clerics or warriors better.

Elblanco fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 24, 2013

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

At the high end, both are good dps. Pick whichever you like better.

edit: You'll want to look at other souls as well. As a warrior dps, you won't be playing riftblade all the time. I swap between RB, champion (aoe dps) and tempest (ranged dps) as the situation warrants. Warriors also get 3 tank souls and warlord, which is a weird tank/dps hybrid. Clerics can heal, dps, and tank, and if you have to be at range you won't be playing shaman. One of Rift's strengths is the many roles one character can play, so don't pigeonhole yourself into one soul :)

Rianeva fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 24, 2013

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hey guys, Rohypnotist Stampybro here. Class is more or less over and Planetside 2 is pissing me off royally so I'm thinking of making a return! Is the game still out and out baller like before? Does Trion still own? What's the advice you'd give to a Cleric coming in who hasn't played since 1.9? Who went out really enjoying tanking and not wanting to re-learn 4 healing trees :)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Back on Arrela, invite please.

Pandar
Oct 23, 2008
In as Siujioh a warrior, invite please. Also says can not join goodsquad channel for some reason.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Got the Raptr offer, in as Kum.

zerocrash posted:

Yeah I just logged in, alt-tabbed and then left it running overnight and was greeted once I exited a Raptr notification saying I had qualified for the reward. Since my client was still updating I simply exited out, applied the codes and it gave me Storm Legion and I got the achievement for subbing.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 24, 2013

Reasonerr
Oct 8, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

Hey guys, Rohypnotist Stampybro here. Class is more or less over and Planetside 2 is pissing me off royally so I'm thinking of making a return! Is the game still out and out baller like before? Does Trion still own? What's the advice you'd give to a Cleric coming in who hasn't played since 1.9? Who went out really enjoying tanking and not wanting to re-learn 4 healing trees :)

Download, play, get all your stuff together and remember just how disorganized and half-done everything was before you left.
Then play around a tiny bit with some of your old quests you surely left unfinished, to remember what the combat was like.
The go check out a few builds for the prefered style of play you're looking for (solo, leveling, tank, healer, dps, etc.)
You didn't mention what level you were when you left, so I'll assume cap.
Before you get your bearings back, if you enter SL you'll probably get killed alot, feel very weak/powerless, die alot, and get frustrated.
If you don't at least dip your toes in the water before reading about builds, especially as cleric, you're likely to feel really overwhelmed at how much more complicated the current builds *SEEM* to be.

I learned all these lessons the hard way after coming back from 1.5+year hiatus. Literally spent 2 days (albeit half-assed and distracted) dicking around the capital city or just outside the gates remembering what the hell I was doing when I stopped playing, and getting things ready to try all this awesome Storm Legion stuff.

And of course my quest log was completely full with quests that I wanted to do (seemed to be decent rewards) and had no clue if I'd ever find again, so that took a bit of time to work down a little. However I used it as a great opportunity to actually put into practice/try out these insane cleric builds that *SEEMED* alot more difficult than my awesome 2 win-buttons Duracell.

If you need help, guild chat always seems active at most any time and post back here in the thread, I or someone else will try to help out.
Good luck!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Reasonerr posted:

Download, play, get all your stuff together and remember just how disorganized and half-done everything was before you left.
Then play around a tiny bit with some of your old quests you surely left unfinished, to remember what the combat was like.
The go check out a few builds for the prefered style of play you're looking for (solo, leveling, tank, healer, dps, etc.)
You didn't mention what level you were when you left, so I'll assume cap.
Before you get your bearings back, if you enter SL you'll probably get killed alot, feel very weak/powerless, die alot, and get frustrated.
If you don't at least dip your toes in the water before reading about builds, especially as cleric, you're likely to feel really overwhelmed at how much more complicated the current builds *SEEM* to be.

I learned all these lessons the hard way after coming back from 1.5+year hiatus. Literally spent 2 days (albeit half-assed and distracted) dicking around the capital city or just outside the gates remembering what the hell I was doing when I stopped playing, and getting things ready to try all this awesome Storm Legion stuff.

And of course my quest log was completely full with quests that I wanted to do (seemed to be decent rewards) and had no clue if I'd ever find again, so that took a bit of time to work down a little. However I used it as a great opportunity to actually put into practice/try out these insane cleric builds that *SEEMED* alot more difficult than my awesome 2 win-buttons Duracell.

If you need help, guild chat always seems active at most any time and post back here in the thread, I or someone else will try to help out.
Good luck!

I loved me some puri/sent but going full healer probably isn't wise considering I'd also like to get into the main story quests on the new continents.

For dps I used...well, not much because Cleric dps was underwhelming at the time. I think I mostly used cabalist or inquisitor or that one where you'd spam staff attacks and get healed by the damage you did.

Basically, what's the best leveling dps build right now? Hopped on for a few tonight to get a feel for things and man have the skill trees blown up. I'm half tempted to just start fresh now that all my gear will be outdated soon no matter what I do.

Guardians and Defiants can be in the same guild now? Maybe I'll roll a gay high elf with their weird jumping skill and see what leveling is like on the other side.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
I have a question that will greatly affect which class I play in the long term

Is this set available in-game?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Rogues are fun :)

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Is there a setting anywhere that would let me see cooldown timers on my action bars or do I need an addon for that?

vandiar
Jul 19, 2004

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

That looks like the Warlord-tier (currently highest rank) Rogue PvP armor. I know the hat is at least. On the plus side any class can actually get that set, as they've added all the PvP armors as costume pieces, buyable with favor. You just have to have the minimum PvP rank to buy it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

lsp posted:

Healing: Raid Shielding - 61 Purifier

Just a minor nitpick nobody should actually go 61 deep into purifier. You generally don't have room in the raid to field a sentinel for covenant and the cleanse gains in sentinel are good. Sign of faith is a big deal though.

Elblanco posted:

Well yea that what I'm trying to decide, cleric or warrior melee dps.

E: sorry, I mainly just want to know if riftblade is viable dps, or if I should go with shaman for dps. Its bothering me because I can't decide if I like clerics or warriors better.

In terms of end-game raiding, Clerics are still a little behind everyone else in terms of parse potential. Warriors and mages currently consistently parse the highest on fights. Riftblade is one of the strongest specs you can use on a fight that is usually single target with some add phases due to fork and rift spear while the rift strike buff is up (also hilarious in pvp).

As far as warrior specs go I believe all 4 dps souls are used in the following situations:

Paragon - purely single target fight
Riftblade - primarily single target fight with adds, also rift travel for movement utility (Most raid fights in storm legion right now).
Champion - A fight with consistent AoE (Twins is the main offender here, maybe Matriarch).
Tempest - Fights where going melee is not as feasible (shouldn't be necessary outside of hard modes but it can depend on your strategy).

The most important two are Riftblade and Tempest, as you can do fine on just about any fight using one or the other out of those two.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
AAAAAA That 55 puri build is ronnnnggg, make it 22 sentinel and grab 1 point in merciful appeal.

Also a Justicar build without Pursuit of Truth for 35m is also rong IMHO.

You an add a note to ask me for Justicar info, there are a lot of subtleties that the guide misses. For example there's no mention of the different threat multiplier on SoJ vs. Reckoning, a newbie looking at both abilities will spam Reckoning over SoJ at their heart's content not knowing that SoJ has a much higher threat multiplier.

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 24, 2013

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

AAAAAA That puri build is ronnnnggg, make it 22 sentinel and grab 1 point in merciful appeal.

It also has only one point in pushback reduction and no urgency ugh.

http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmInritfezqcMIduRviMcxkz0zvz

I think something like this is what I use for purifier at the moment.

lsp
Sep 1, 2008

Zoness posted:

It also has only one point in pushback reduction and no urgency ugh.

http://www.rifthead.com/stc/zmInritfezqcMIduRviMcxkz0zvz

I think something like this is what I use for purifier at the moment.

There really weren't many guides for purifier so I picked the nearest one~ Feel free to do your own guide.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

lsp posted:

There really weren't many guides for purifier so I picked the nearest one~ Feel free to do your own guide.

Ahov's was the only decent one but he seems to have deleted it.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Here's an important question: Do Harbingers look bad-rear end? This is vital in my decision to roll a mage.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Drythe posted:

Here's an important question: Do Harbingers look bad-rear end? This is vital in my decision to roll a mage.

You transform into this as your level 61 ability:

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Drythe posted:

Every harbinger I have seen looked awesome,

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Looks like I'm rolling a mage when I get off work. I hope Harbinger does good DPS.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

deimos posted:

Ahov's was the only decent one but he seems to have deleted it.

Found it. Not the biggest fan of linking Ahov guides but this one pretty much goes over all there is to purifier. There's some differences in the less important points but it generally will just come down to trading conditionally better heals for generally better heals or something.

The spec is really geared around knowing how the encounter flow goes. The general rotation is simple but to use it optimally you want to apply symbol of the sun right before big hits (or spam it on fights where raid shield coverage is important to survival). For example, during Gelidra applying symbol of the sun during the lacerating cascade cast bar makes life a lot easier for every other healer in the raid.

Purifier is probably also the first healing spec that gets dropped in any raid encounter since its job in a raid is to make keeping people alive easier for everyone else but once people get enough endurance or the other healers get enough gear it's a lot less important so make sure you know how to use other specs. Also the spec is great for saving people who stand in circles so be aware of that and do it if you have the gcd then get mad about people standing in circles!

The priority system generally goes like this:

0 - cooldowns: use Healer's Covenant, Rite of the forge, Gathering of flame, or Spiritual conflagration when needed
1. Symbol of the Sun a tank right before big hits
2. Symbol of the Sun the raid, prioritizing people who aren't topped off before a known big raid hit
3. Ward of fire the tank(s) to make sure they're topped off with extra shield bars
4. Use instant heals or symbol on an idiot
5. Healing breath or healing flare if you have to keep moving and burnout is on the target or you're saving symbol of the sun

Also I love clear the coals even if it's RNG (but making it a castable cooldown would be a nice change trion ugh):colbert:.

Presteign
Aug 8, 2004
consent is overrated

Drythe posted:

I hope Harbinger does good DPS.
It doesn't. It's good solo, but there are several better DPS souls.

lsp
Sep 1, 2008

jkrotch posted:

It doesn't. It's good solo, but there are several better DPS souls.

Pretty much this. Harbinger is a good solo-questing spec, you won't be using it in raids successfully, sorry. Harbinger is the furthest behind melee dps class at the moment, probably at the cost of survivability. If you want to solo/farm on your mage, this is the path for you!

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I wanted a class that looks bad-rear end and did well in melee. I suppose I'll just stick with my Justicar and tank.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Huh, did anyone else notice that the Transfiguration Bauble isn't flagged as Consumable like a lot of other things are (on the PTS)?

Man, if all you ever need is one Bauble (per character, I guess), that would be so nice.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Drythe posted:

I wanted a class that looks bad-rear end and did well in melee. I suppose I'll just stick with my Justicar and tank.

If you don't think warriors look bad-rear end I don't know what to tell you!

(Clerics have the worst looking SL token set - that helmet is terrible).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Guys looking to tank, keep in mind you'll probably not be able to raid tank, so your primary concern should be dps/support/heals. We have an overabundance of talented tanks in the guild and gear checks for tanks are still a thing.

• Locked thread