Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
It really does look like a good deal, but what's the industrial design/materials used for it? Does HP do good work these days with design and reliability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

fookolt posted:

It really does look like a good deal, but what's the industrial design/materials used for it? Does HP do good work these days with design and reliability?

I have a $450 refurb 17" laptop from them and I have had no real complaints. The top plastic on the left is separating from the chassis near where the screen and keyboard meet, but I'm pretty sure I've dropped it a couple times and it's over a year and a half old and has spent a lot of time in a backpack.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I don't know if "literally falling apart after 1.5 years of light to average wear and tear" is a great endorsement. In terms of tablets, HP's Touchpad wasn't great for durability, with cracking of the case a common complaint, especially around the speakers.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't know if "literally falling apart after 1.5 years of light to average wear and tear" is a great endorsement. In terms of tablets, HP's Touchpad wasn't great for durability, with cracking of the case a common complaint, especially around the speakers.

I wouldn't really call it "literally falling apart" or my usage a case of "average wear and tear". The separation is hardly noticeable and feels like one plastic clip is slightly bent from a fall.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Hm, I'd rather wait for Asus to release something because I really can't stand plastic on something that big :(

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

fookolt posted:

Hm, I'd rather wait for Asus to release something because I really can't stand plastic on something that big :(

Asus doesn't exactly have a great record of reliability either. The nexus 7 alone has had so many different issues ranging from screen separation to touch screen responsiveness issues. Mine has the touch screen issue and it's so bad I can't reliably play games on it. I've RMA'd it twice and the problem has persisted. I'm debating sending it in a third time but I don't have much faith left in them and two weeks without it isn't very enjoyable.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've had issues with the VivoTab RT. Granted it's a Windows RT device but it's based of the TF700. My general understanding of Asus is as long as your screen isn't separating out of the box, you've got a 80% chance the device will last its lifetime without falling apart.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

fookolt posted:

The Transformer series all suffered from somewhat uncommon but serious build issues, usually related to the screen not being properly secured (by a plastic clip, natch). This persisted in the Nexus 7.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hisense launched 2 Walmart exclusive 7" tablets today, at $99 and $149 price points.

The $149 looks like a pretty good deal and I might just pick one up for the hell of it since my TP running CM10.1 is collecting dust under its screen like crazy haha. http://www.androidcentral.com/hisense-launches-pair-walmart-exclusive-tablets-starting-99?utm_source=feedly

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

teagone posted:

Hisense launched 2 Walmart exclusive 7" tablets today, at $99 and $149 price points.

The $149 looks like a pretty good deal and I might just pick one up for the hell of it since my TP running CM10.1 is collecting dust under its screen like crazy haha. http://www.androidcentral.com/hisense-launches-pair-walmart-exclusive-tablets-starting-99?utm_source=feedly

You should really just spring the extra money and get a Nexus 7. Who knows if hisense will ever update these things.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Don Lapre posted:

You should really just spring the extra money and get a Nexus 7. Who knows if hisense will ever update these things.
And the cheap one has an especially lovely screen. If the Nexus 7 was being sold with thin margins I can't imagine what corners were cut on these.

I know the refreshed Nexus 7 didn't appear at I/O but I'm still holding out hope for one this summer!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

I've never relied on Google for updates since I've rooted and flashed every Android device I've owned, so that's not really a big deal to me. That said, I don't really need a tablet right now so I'll probably wait on reviews and whatnot before considering buying the $149 one. I'm still intrigued by HP's $480 Tegra 4 tablet+keyboardock as well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

teagone posted:

I've never relied on Google for updates since I've rooted and flashed every Android device I've owned, so that's not really a big deal to me. That said, I don't really need a tablet right now so I'll probably wait on reviews and whatnot before considering buying the $149 one. I'm still intrigued by HP's $480 Tegra 4 tablet+keyboardock as well.

Every device isn't rootable, flashable, nor has good custom roms.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

teagone posted:

I've never relied on Google for updates since I've rooted and flashed every Android device I've owned

That assumes good custom ROMs for that device exists.

Which is a total crapshoot.

e: f,b

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Every device isn't rootable, flashable, nor has good custom roms.

Ok, let me retract my initial statement of picking up a $149 Tegra 3 Hisense tablet for the hell of it and wait to see if it can be rooted and flashed to run CM10.x or PA, as well as wait on reviews from multiple blogs. As an aside, a tablet so cheap with the specs it boasts seems ripe for the developer community imo.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

teagone posted:

Ok, let me retract my initial statement of picking up a $149 Tegra 3 Hisense tablet for the hell of it and wait to see if it can be rooted and flashed to run CM10.x or PA, as well as reviews from multiple blogs. As an aside, a tablet so cheap with the specs it boasts seems ripe for the developer community imo.
Or, for $50 more you can get an established tablet with the very best developer community behind it. And, you know, Google. The current Nexus 7 was announced in June and available in July of last year so there's a good chance the replacement will arrive around that same time this year.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Or, for $50 more you can get an established tablet with the very best developer community behind it. And, you know, Google. The current Nexus 7 was announced in June and available in July of last year so there's a good chance the replacement will arrive around that same time this year.

Well, I'm not committed to buying it. I just like weighing my options and figured some goons might want to know if there's other options to just the Nexus 7. On paper, the $149 Hisense tablet seems decent. I bought my parents a Nexus 7, and think its a great tablet too. If I could get something similar, if not better in some ways, for $50 cheaper, I might just jump on that. But I'll wait on reviews and whatnot before I decide. If the refreshed Nexus 7 hits at $199, that'll shoot up my interest depending on specs.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think having a known company you can go to for warranty support is worth $50 alone.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

I think having a known company you can go to for warranty support is worth $50 alone.

what, you don't trust the chinese government?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jack_tripper posted:

what, you don't trust the chinese government?

gently caress, I do! Seriously, it's not like Hisense doesn't have a stateside presence at all. You guys make it sound like the Nexus 7 is the only 7" android tablet anyone should ever buy.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

teagone posted:

gently caress, I do! Seriously, it's not like Hisense doesn't have a stateside presence at all. You guys make it sound like the Nexus 7 is the only 7" android tablet anyone should ever buy.

It's the only 7" android tablet 99.5% of people should buy.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

teagone posted:

You guys make it sound like the Nexus 7 is the only 7" android tablet anyone should ever buy.

I believe that is the general consensus, yes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Proteus4994 posted:

I believe that is the general consensus, yes.

What about the Kindle Fire? Is that not worth a look?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

teagone posted:

What about the Kindle Fire? Is that not worth a look?

The Kindle Fire is a lovely Nexus 7 with a worse OS and significantly less available content (unless you just love Amazon Instant Video).

And considering the original Fire stopped getting updates after about four months I wouldn't count on Amazon keeping it up to date.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Inspect Your Gadgets > Android Tablet Thread: Just Get a Nexus 7 Already

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Inspect Your Gadgets > Android Tablet Thread: Just Get a Nexus 7 Already

Should just be the Nexus Tablet Thread.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

teagone posted:

I also prefer to rely on x69xbongsmoker420 for my tablet os instead of Google.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

I also prefer to rely on x69xbongsmoker420 for my tablet os instead of Google.

Yes. Because all ROMs are developed by individuals with immature screen names.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

I'm not sure I understand how a stupid internet alias would even preclude someone from having the requisite talent to make a stable, working ROM, though? Good thing it's called CyanogenMod and not WeedlordMod, or else it'd run like crap! That said, I wouldn't be the first adopter for a new CM, either.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Jonesy posted:

I'm not sure I understand how a stupid internet alias would even preclude someone from having the requisite talent to make a stable, working ROM, though? Good thing it's called CyanogenMod and not WeedlordMod, or else it'd run like crap! That said, I wouldn't be the first adopter for a new CM, either.

I think the point they're getting at is that the talented people who would put together a good, stable aftermarket ROM (if that's even really a thing) are going to focus their efforts on devices that are well supported and easy to develop against. You can't get any better than a Nexus tablet in that regard.

So instead the best you end up with is xxBongHitsForJesus420xx's reskinned version of the factory image, where the system fonts are replaced with comic sans and the lock screen has devil horns on it.

Seriously, the headache involved in computer janitoring your tablet to get continued support is just not worth the $50.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

Seriously, the headache involved in computer janitoring your tablet to get continued support is just not worth the $50.

I flash nightly ROMs on my TP and my Galaxy S Blaze and see no issue with doing so. Obviously this process isn't for the likes of the average consumer, but I don't mind the nandroid backup process and loading in new ROMs. Anyways, I guess any talk about non-Google/Nexus tablets in this thread should be relegated to the Root thread instead, yeah? Because they don't get the support/updates direct from Google and a lot of you are vehemently against any decent tablet that's not a Nexus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's mostly just that there aren't any decent tablets running the same price or cheaper than a Nexus.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

teagone posted:

a lot of you are vehemently against any decent tablet that's not a Nexus.

Could you name one please? 7" form factor, don't move the goal posts

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

It's mostly just that there aren't any decent tablets running the same price or cheaper than a Nexus.

Well, yeah it's obvious there are plenty of poo poo tablets from unknown Chinese manufacturers out there for a bargain bin price. I think the $149 Hisense tablet seems like a good deal, considering its innards are pretty much equal to a Nexus 7, but with the addition of microSD, hdmi, and a rear camera. But, it doesn't get updates or support that the Nexus 7 does, so I guess that makes it automatically inferior?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

teagone posted:

But, it doesn't get updates or support that the Nexus 7 does, so I guess that makes it automatically inferior?
If you're not a spergy outlier, then yes.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

teagone posted:

Because they don't get the support/updates direct from Google and a lot of you are vehemently against any decent tablet that's not a Nexus.

There is no decent 7" tablet that's not a Nexus unless your definition of "decent" involves large compromises to save small amounts of money. Sure, there's circumstances where that's a smart move, but they're rare.

Let's move on shall we?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
My chinese tablet is still going strong and I love it. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

I made this post on it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If you're not a spergy outlier, then yes.

Guess I'm a spergy outlier then! Cheers.

Thermopyle posted:

There is no decent 7" tablet that's not a Nexus unless your definition of "decent" involves large compromises to save small amounts of money. Sure, there's circumstances where that's a smart move, but they're rare.

Let's move on shall we?

Ok, forget I ever mentioned anything about that Hisense tablet. There's no reason to buy it since the Nexus 7 exists.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 24, 2013

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

So, any good new android tablets on the horizon? My ASUS transformer is 18 months old now and I would like to upgrade this year .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

fondue posted:

So, any good new android tablets on the horizon? My ASUS transformer is 18 months old now and I would like to upgrade this year .

HP has a 10.1 Tegra 4 tablet + keyboard dock that was recently announced (http://androidcommunity.com/hp-slatebook-x2-tablet-hands-on-20130521/). Build quality might be iffy, but from what I read it seems like a good deal.