Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That's basically my suggestion. There's no other reason a user would swipe the title bar so it won't interfere with anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

The Dave posted:

That's basically my suggestion. There's no other reason a user would swipe the title bar so it won't interfere with anything.

My sole reservation is due to the VoodooPad app. If you try to tap the status bar to scroll to the top of the page, your tap gets intercepted by the otherwise nonfunctional button in the navbar and you get no scroll. Which is weird because you can disable the scroll to top thing without making a button to intercept it. And I know the button intercepts it because it does that white glow thing some buttons do when you touch them.

Now that I think about it, my other sole reservation is that I think it's a lovely experience. It's very rare that you need to see the whole title, and when you do you can (once again as of the next version) tap the action button on the bottom right.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

pokeyman posted:

My sole reservation is due to the VoodooPad app. If you try to tap the status bar to scroll to the top of the page, your tap gets intercepted by the otherwise nonfunctional button in the navbar and you get no scroll. Which is weird because you can disable the scroll to top thing without making a button to intercept it. And I know the button intercepts it because it does that white glow thing some buttons do when you touch them.

Now that I think about it, my other sole reservation is that I think it's a lovely experience. It's very rare that you need to see the whole title, and when you do you can (once again as of the next version) tap the action button on the bottom right.
The Awful android app makes the text scroll by itself if you look at it for a while.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

makes the text scroll by itself if you look at it for a while

Counterpoint: I utterly detest that "feature" in anything that uses it.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The Awful android app makes the text scroll by itself if you look at it for a while.

I don't think that's actually the case anymore.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
On my iPad, it's become rather difficult to get spoiler tags to de-black. Is that just me? I end up having to tap and tap and tap and tap sometimes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Aatrek posted:

On my iPad, it's become rather difficult to get spoiler tags to de-black. Is that just me? I end up having to tap and tap and tap and tap sometimes.

I've had that happen on my iPhone as well. I think it may just be bad aim and we're tapping the whitespace between lines.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Is there any way to calibrate a touchscreen from iOS? Sometimes I feel like I have to tap just above or below everything I'm aiming at. On the Nintendo DS touchscreen (different tech, I know) I sometimes used to have to run a calibration routine to tell it where I thought certain points were, etc. Do iPhones/iPads have any form of that?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My understanding is that capacitive touch screens don't need calibration.. the digitizer is extremely precise because it's got a perfect grid of tiny capacitors, and when one of them experiences a change in the electrical field it knows exactly where your finger is at. "Calibration" is only messed up when the capacitive layer is physically misaligned, which shouldn't be possible on any modern iOS device because the display and digitizer are glued together.

Fat fingers or a really dirty screen can confused it though.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

The Dave posted:

Hey sometimes I like marking a thread as unread :colbert:

What are the chances the "First" and "Last" page navigation buttons can return? I really found those handy to reference OPs and while jumping around in long threads with hundreds of pages.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Dinosaurs! posted:

Hey sometimes I like marking a thread as unread :colbert:

What are the chances the "First" and "Last" page navigation buttons can return? I really found those handy to reference OPs and while jumping around in long threads with hundreds of pages.

They are still there, they just moved to the little arrow button next to the font size adjuster.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

cornface posted:

They are still there, they just moved to the little arrow button next to the font size adjuster.

Don't get used to it. They've already been moved back to their old spot in the newest beta.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

Don't get used to it. They've already been moved back to their old spot in the newest beta.

Yup. Tried a little experiment. Everyone but me was right!

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

cornface posted:

Thanks. I suppose I could get used to that.

Edit: Or not

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
How do you make a new thread?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

davecrazy posted:

How do you make a new thread?

You can use computers for that now

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Why is that anyway? Is it because phone/tablet OPs are low content poo poo? Or is there a technical reason?

I don't really make new threads but when I do it's in places like goon doctor where it being kinda low content is expected. So it's a little bit of a pain.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

BrainDance posted:

Why is that anyway? Is it because phone/tablet OPs are low content poo poo? Or is there a technical reason?

The boring reasons: someone needs to spend the time, write the code, and test it. So far no one has.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Awful is crashing every time I try to view the settings tab.

iPhone 5 6.1.4

I reinstalled and it's still not fixed it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

101 posted:

Awful is crashing every time I try to view the settings tab.

iPhone 5 6.1.4

I reinstalled and it's still not fixed it.

Your fault for having a numeric username!

By which I mean my fault and it'll be fixed in the next version. Thanks for posting; I'd seen the crashes but the problem became instantly clear when you brought it up.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

pokeyman posted:

Your fault for having a numeric username!

By which I mean my fault and it'll be fixed in the next version. Thanks for posting; I'd seen the crashes but the problem became instantly clear when you brought it up.

I see, thanks. It was really driving me crazy so I restored from last nights iCloud backup and it's working again… for now.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Not happening for me, for now at least.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I tend to keep images off due to the fact gifs seem to kill IOS products.

Would it be possible to have it so that pressing the image once it's loaded makes it a link again? Right now I have to toggle images on and off again and that loses my place on the page.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

101 posted:

I tend to keep images off due to the fact gifs seem to kill IOS products.

Would it be possible to have it so that pressing the image once it's loaded makes it a link again? Right now I have to toggle images on and off again and that loses my place on the page.

The gif thing's probably unsolvable, to be honest. I feel your pain.

I can certainly take a look at images re-linkifying!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
What's the deal with InstaPaper in Awful? I've logged in but can't see a way to add stuff.

I've never used InstaPaper before so it's entirely possible the issue is with how I'm using that.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ineptmule posted:

What's the deal with InstaPaper in Awful? I've logged in but can't see a way to add stuff.

I've never used InstaPaper before so it's entirely possible the issue is with how I'm using that.

You use it to send external links to Instapaper. Long press on a link > Send to Instapaper.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Diabolik900 posted:

You use it to send external links to Instapaper. Long press on a link > Send to Instapaper.

Ahhh ok, I had assumed it was intended to cache forum content for offline reading or something.

Thanks.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

So, some people are impossible to quote. The little button you tap to access the submenu with post-specific options just doesn't work. It'll work for other people in the same page, but not one specific person. I haven't found any pattern in name or post number that coincides with it, but it only seems to happen in YOSPOS

Any ideas?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Is there a way to like, mark multiple posts for quoting then when you open the compose page thy will be there? If I want to quote more than once in a single post now I have to open each one at a time and mess with copy pasting which sucks on the iphone.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

For now you're stuck with that but we've discussed and looked at some concepts to make multi quoting much much easier.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

No need to mess with copy and paste. If you press cancel, it still saves your post until you leave the thread. So you can hit quote, go back to the thread, hit quote again and you'll have both quotes in your reply. It's not the best system but it works.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

death .cab for qt posted:

So, some people are impossible to quote. The little button you tap to access the submenu with post-specific options just doesn't work. It'll work for other people in the same page, but not one specific person. I haven't found any pattern in name or post number that coincides with it, but it only seems to happen in YOSPOS

Any ideas?

No ideas from me, but I'll see if I can reproduce the issue. Which YOSPOS theme do you use? Does it happen with some themes and not others?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The Games forum has a new thread tag that's not showing up.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

el burbo posted:

The Games forum has a new thread tag that's not showing up.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll take care of it later tonight.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Too late! ( Needs to be added to the repository though. )

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I noticed today that when I open an external link, the dialogue that used to give me a choice between opening the link in safari or chrome now only offers safari.

To add to that, if I tap open in safari, the dialogue dismisses, but safari doesn't come up. now if I tap the icon at the bottom right, I now see open in safari and open in chrome.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Is preloading a few of the threads in the bookmarked tab in the background going to be a thing? When I'm on a desktop i'll typically open a bunch of tabs do reading the next thread is super fast. Preloading the next page would be pretty sweet as well.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure if it's desirable by that many people but an update on probations such as "you have only 6 days to go" and etc would be handy for me

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

the yeti posted:

I noticed today that when I open an external link, the dialogue that used to give me a choice between opening the link in safari or chrome now only offers safari.

To add to that, if I tap open in safari, the dialogue dismisses, but safari doesn't come up. now if I tap the icon at the bottom right, I now see open in safari and open in chrome.

Does it happen with all external links? Can you link me an example?

Ethereal posted:

Is preloading a few of the threads in the bookmarked tab in the background going to be a thing? When I'm on a desktop i'll typically open a bunch of tabs do reading the next thread is super fast. Preloading the next page would be pretty sweet as well.

I can certainly take a look!

echinopsis posted:

Not sure if it's desirable by that many people but an update on probations such as "you have only 6 days to go" and etc would be handy for me

That's easy info to get, just need to figure out a good place to put it in the UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

pokeyman posted:

Does it happen with all external links? Can you link me an example?

I think I can be more clear now: Open in Chrome doesn't show as an option alongside Open in Safari until the page has fully loaded. If you do tap to bring up those buttons while the page is still loading in the background, tapping Open in Safari seems to dismiss the buttons and do nothing (and if you tap again to bring them back, the page will have loaded by then and the Chrome button appears, leading to my initial description.)

• Locked thread