Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I have a feeling a lot of critics hedged their bets with their actual scores because of what happened with Discovery, but the interesting thing to me is that I'm seeing a lot of my friends having a fast version of the same kind of eventual come around with Discovery. Where initially they had complaints about the taste level and weirdness...and then later kind of loving it for the same qualities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU6Ei8C7ipM

Sure why not.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Get Lucky is up to No. 10 on the Billboard Hot 100. Does anyone think they can hit Number 1, or is this just a pipe dream?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I think the biggest thing the world has learned from this album, is that the amount of poon Giorgio would have gone through during the '70s and '80s would be mind boggling.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CaptainYesterday posted:

Get Lucky is up to No. 10 on the Billboard Hot 100. Does anyone think they can hit Number 1, or is this just a pipe dream?

I don't know what the US charts looks like right now, but I don't recall Get Lucky really competing with anything. Timberlake, maybe? I'm gonna say it climbing higher in the charts is possible, but #1's a bit of an outside chance. I'm pretty sure it's losing in the charts to Rhianna and Pink here in Australia, but I also think it's now legislative law that at least three songs from those two get played every hour in Australia.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Cleretic posted:

I don't know what the US charts looks like right now, but I don't recall Get Lucky really competing with anything. Timberlake, maybe? I'm gonna say it climbing higher in the charts is possible, but #1's a bit of an outside chance. I'm pretty sure it's losing in the charts to Rhianna and Pink here in Australia, but I also think it's now legislative law that at least three songs from those two get played every hour in Australia.

1. "Can't Hold Us" by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis
2. "Just Give Me a Reason" by Pink
3. "Mirrors" by Justin Timberlake
4. "When I Was Your Man" by Bruno Mars
5. "Stay" by Rihanna
6. "Cruise" by Florida-Georgia Line
7. "Come & Get It" by Selena Gomez
8. "Radioactive" by Imagine Dragons
9. "I Love It" by Icona Pop
10. where Daft Punk is right now

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Okay, Get Lucky can climb up to... at the very most 6 or 7, more likely 8, before it starts running into songs it literally can't knock off the charts.

Seriously, Can't Hold Us is still in the charts? It's still number one?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CaptainYesterday posted:

5. "Stay" by Rihanna

I've legitimately never heard of Florida-Georgia Line (I'm guessing this is a country artist?), Imagine Dragons (sounds like a scenecore band) and Icona Pop (I have no idea what this could be).

This is a loving travesty.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Imagine Dragons are an indie pop band (although "Radioactive" is notably dubstep influenced). Icona Pop are a Swedish electropop duo. My local alt rock station plays Radioactive all the time, but I've never heard an Icona Pop song, ever.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Instant Crush is one of the best tracks I've heard in years. If you can listen to it and not lose your poo poo at 1:30 I'd love to know how.

It's such a well executed song, the second chorus break is exactly 2 mins after the first. Casablancas' vocals are great here, so much more refreshing than anything else he's put out in quite a while.

I love the whole album, I'm not a "music snob" by anyone's definition but this album has very quickly grown on me. I found one thing that helped tremendously was to listen to it on headphones significantly louder than I normally listen to things.

Seriously my musical analysis is generally "i can shake my butt to this" or "i like this" but I'm loving in love with this album, and I'd probably be a bandwagon Discovery/Alive2007 DP fan at best.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

yeah instant crush has been on repeat for days now. The Todd Edwards remix was pretty cool too. Can't wait to see what others do with this material.

My favorite line on the album

"A thousand lonely stars, hiding in the cold. Take it, oh I dont want to sing anymore"

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
The Todd Edwards mix is fantastic, and I'd love to pay my heard earned dollar for it as a single.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Where can I hear this Todd Edwards mix of Instant Crush y'all are talking about? I searched YouTube for it like yesterday or the day before when it was brought up in this thread and I couldn't find it.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Where can I hear this Todd Edwards mix of Instant Crush y'all are talking about? I searched YouTube for it like yesterday or the day before when it was brought up in this thread and I couldn't find it.

https://soundcloud.com/everybodywantstobethedj/todd-edwards-essential-mix Around 6ish min.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Heh, it actually works pretty well in that context. I think it could benefit from being slowed down by a couple BPM, but it works surprisingly well in this sort of mix.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
Bought this album on a whim today. Totally on a whim, because I've always felt that aside from a few standout tracks, Daft Punk have been way overrated and the majority of their material hasn't ever really appealed to me.

This, on the other hand, is loving superb.

Can't say much more than that right now - only two rotations in - but loving it so far. The first tracks are great, but I totally fell in love when I reached Giorgio by Moroder. As soon as I saw the track name come up I was sold. A lot of people seem to be slamming it for being so different from their past stuff, but for me that makes the album.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I've legitimately never heard of Florida-Georgia Line (I'm guessing this is a country artist?), Imagine Dragons (sounds like a scenecore band) and Icona Pop (I have no idea what this could be).

This is a loving travesty.

Actually gently caress you, Icona Pop's track (which also has Charli XCX) is a lot better than Get Lucky.

Anyone expecting Daft Punk's album to reach #1 on Billboard's chart is absolutely delusional and is representative of what many people in this thread have been making fun of Daft Punk superfans for.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm not expecting them to hit #1, but I do believe that they deserve it more than the likes of Rihanna and Pink and Bruno Mars. And Selena Gomez, really?

Even Macklemore and Ryan Lewis. Can't Hold Us only came out, what, a couple months ago? But I feel like it's already played the gently caress out. (Well I checked the Wiki for it and apparently it came out in 2011, but it's only been played heavily for the past couple months I think.)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Mike_V posted:

Anyone expecting Daft Punk's album to reach #1 on Billboard's chart is absolutely delusional and is representative of what many people in this thread have been making fun of Daft Punk superfans for.

Except Random Access Memories looks to do exactly that.

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/1563173/daft-punks-random-access-memories-set-for-no-1-300000-plus-debut?utm_source=twitter

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Mike_V posted:

Actually gently caress you, Icona Pop's track (which also has Charli XCX) is a lot better than Get Lucky.

which albums are going to keep it from #1?

hahaha owned.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

"In one week, "Random Access Memories" will have sold more to date than Daft Punk's last studio release, "Human After All.” The latter, released in 2005, has shifted just 125,000 in the United States."

Holy crap.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

My bad, then what the gently caress are people complaining about?

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

CaptainYesterday posted:

5. "Stay" by Rihanna
Looks like Get Lucky is in a pretty good position to rise as high as momentum takes it. Its sales are steadily increasing (#6 on iTunes right now), and, still early in its run, it's making massive daily radio gains on multiple formats. Meanwhile, When I Was Your Man, Just Give Me a Reason, and Stay have already reached the top spot and are downward trending; Can't Hold Us has already been promoted for months and is peaking in sales and close to peaking in airplay, and Mirrors has peaked in both; I Love It seems to be slowing down on the pop chart just inside the top 3; Cruise is only so high because of downloads and has expended its traction on the radio as far as I can tell (the replay value of a song like that can't be very high anyway). The biggest obstacles, if Get Lucky actually becomes that much of a hit, are the longevity of Can't Hold Us, and Come & Get It and Radioactive.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

"In one week, "Random Access Memories" will have sold more to date than Daft Punk's last studio release, "Human After All.” The latter, released in 2005, has shifted just 125,000 in the United States."

Holy crap.

RAM is the support our troops of daft punk albums.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I'm really impressed by this album's opener. It's such a banger (for a bangerless album), and it's nice having Nile's guitar away from Pharrell's vocals.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Emetic Hustler posted:

Yeah, what the hell. In a thread full of Daft Punk aficionados nonetheless.

You mean people who are really into Daft Punk have a shallow appreciation of the genres that influenced them? Well I never!

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

You mean people who are really into Daft Punk have a shallow appreciation of the genres that influenced them? Well I never!

You woke up this early to be a hater drat

edit: In more hater news, Liam Gallagher could've written "Get Lucky" in an hour apparently.

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 24, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdPNl4NnH00

Not sure if this has been posted in here yet. It's Nile Rodgers at the International Music Summit playing along with Get Lucky. It takes him a little while to remember how he's supposed to play it (he says "It was a year ago, give me a break!" and laughs about it), but then after he does remember, he absolutely jams out with it.

Oh, Liam. It's like someone told him "never change" two decades ago and he really took it to heart :allears:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Wow, the wine from those sour grapes must taste delicious.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Liam could prove it by writing a chart topping song this decade? Oh wait he is loving terrible.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

You have to understand that liam gallagher is the grumpy old man on the street and reporters just ask him questions to write his horrible opinions.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

quote:

“I am not going to have people wear disguises. Take your f***ing helmet off. Let’s see what you look like sans helmet, whatever you’re called.”

- Man who's life would have benefited quite a lot from some anonymity

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My favorite part was:

quote:

But Gallagher might be looking back in anger at the end of the summer, as Daft Punk have announced they are already working on a remix of “Get Lucky”, to be released by the end of June.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yjw595chVgQ

we've come full circle.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

SpiritualDeath posted:

Looks like Get Lucky is in a pretty good position to rise as high as momentum takes it. Its sales are steadily increasing (#6 on iTunes right now), and, still early in its run, it's making massive daily radio gains on multiple formats. Meanwhile, When I Was Your Man, Just Give Me a Reason, and Stay have already reached the top spot and are downward trending; Can't Hold Us has already been promoted for months and is peaking in sales and close to peaking in airplay, and Mirrors has peaked in both; I Love It seems to be slowing down on the pop chart just inside the top 3; Cruise is only so high because of downloads and has expended its traction on the radio as far as I can tell (the replay value of a song like that can't be very high anyway). The biggest obstacles, if Get Lucky actually becomes that much of a hit, are the longevity of Can't Hold Us, and Come & Get It and Radioactive.

There are a few other songs which, while not in the Top 10, are getting pretty good amounts of radio airplay right now, like Mariah Carey's #Beautiful, Bruno Mars' Treasure, and Robin Thicke's Blurred Lines. Their gains might not hold, but I can easily see all of those in the Top 10 pretty soon. I think a Top 5 position is feasible for Get Lucky, but I'll be very pleasantly surprised if it reaches the top.

And, well, nothing's stopping you from writing a big hit like Get Lucky, Liam, so go ahead.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Turns out it's been the Gallagher brothers in helmets doing accents this whole time and Liam is just mad that Noels poo poo lucky song is more beloved than Touch.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
So... apparently there is a listening party at a Top Golf in my city tonight at 7. Should I go? Apparently there will be Daft Punk swag given out. Any clue what is actually given out

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I'd go, maybe they will have some more of those rad little minifigs or something. I did see the cardbord mask from the Finnish (?) LP and it looked pretty ridiculous, but it'd still be cool to have.

mightychode
Feb 6, 2004
get lucky just clicked for me. all of a sudden it went from "meh" to *dancedancedance*

this album is a grower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
:lol:

I love some of SPIN magazines review quotes...

quote:

the record's thesis: stylistically traverse a poo poo-ton of decades and genres, employ a whole bunch of vintage instruments, from mics all the way to guest vocalists (one of these dudes is in his seventies), vaguely nod in the direction of the "Future," seemingly one in which Huggy Bear is president.

quote:

Julian Casablancas, meanwhile, is still a douche, but "Instant Crush" at least proves Daft Punk know better than to let his flaccid croak hit tape without some serious vocoder massage

quote:

"Touch" epitomizes RAM's ambitions: grandiose to a fault, but hard not to love. Indeed, the whole thing is so outsized and overwrought, so flailing and flamboyant, that you kind of have to grade it on a curve, alongside such other marvels of media spectacle as The Wall, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Avatar, Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark, etc. It belongs in that Musical Museum of WTF, maybe not front and center, but perhaps over by the rest rooms, next to the Use Your Illusions

quote:

They're not robots, they're "robots." They "rock" and want you to "dance." In that sense, this is absolutely in keeping with the band's legacy. It is theater: absolutely sincere and totally fake.

http://www.spin.com/reviews/daft-punk-random-access-memories-columbia/

The line about it being grandiose to a fault but hard not to love is a pretty apt description for how I took the album.

• Locked thread