Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

peanut posted:

Usin his knuckle hairs like whiskers

That makes me think of the Iron Lotus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-lFrIVyApo

Holy poo poo, I feel exhausted after watching that Takanoyama bout.

Um, what the hell happened there in the Hakuhou bout?

anakha fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 20, 2013

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
When Aoiyama charged forward he leaned over to far and Hakuhou stepped back to prepare for a slap or charge. Aoiyama had no balance and just fell over. I doubt Hakuhou meant to do that as his hands were up to defend a slap.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Day 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6nGR_01B3w

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Daikihou pancake!

Hmm, this is probably the best Gagamaru has looked in more than a year.

Looking forward to Hakuhou-Kisenosato.

Kotoshougiku :black101:

Hakuhou's :smug: never fails to amuse me.

Looks like Harumafuji's early round issues were mostly mental, as he seems to have settled down.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

So much good sumo this tournament.

Gagamaru is starting to use himself like Kotoshogiku, who has really shown an ability to adapt and win with other techniques. Awesome throw on Aoiyama today.

It's hilarious how Hakuho is so dominant that the other wrestlers are starting to surrender without a fight. His last two matches have been throwaways.

Kisenosato got a much needed win against the 3rd toughest opponent he'll face this tournament. Dude is invincible when he gets down low and keeps opponents off of his belt. Would love to see a Japanese yusho, which the sport really needs.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Goeido/Hakuho was hilarious because of the pre-fight prep. At first, Goeido flinched because he entered the circle too quickly and got some salt thrown at him by Hakuho. After that Goeido had a staredown with the Yokozuna, which always gets a round of applause but then Goeido always loses against Hakuho so it's just funny. After THAT, Hakuho decided to teach Goeido a lesson about patience by just futzing around his salt box for what felt like forever. Then the matched started and the Yokozuna won with a wrist throw ie pull down by the arm in two seconds flat.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWjgnijBmsY

Guess it was "Kill the ringside audience day" today.

And fuuuuuck, tomorrow's matches are gonna be insane.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

anakha posted:

And fuuuuuck, tomorrow's matches are gonna be insane.

I came here to post that exactly. Hakuho vs Kakuryuu and Kisenosato vs Harumafuji.

Someone is going to die.

Edit: Also, looking at the records it is going to be quite a tumultuous banzuke for next tournament. 1 Sekiwake for sure is going down quite a bit (Baruto) as well as one Komusubi (Okinoumi), with Tochiozan likely to fall as well unless he wins his last 4. Goeido is hanging on by a thread too. Then 5 of Maegashira 1-3 are doing terrible, except Myogiryu, followed by the next seven Maegashira all sitting at 6-5 or 5-6. Next tourney's banzuke and the finish to this basho are going to be clusters.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 22, 2013

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.
Tomorrow is going to be a wild ride and I cannot wait.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

anakha posted:

Guess it was "Kill the ringside audience day" today.

Considering how big those guys are and how far they fall, I'm surprised there aren't more injuries. It'd have to suck to have to withdraw because the guy before you fell on you.

What's the criteria for picking someone from juryo to sub in? Best rating not in yusho contention?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcEXWQBOw4E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Let's just say the 'main events' did not disappoint. :iia:

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I got so mad when Aoiyama and Kotooshu just fell right on top of Kisenosato. I thought for a second that they had injured him.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
fantastic matches today, particularly kakuryu vs. hakuho.

in other news, osunaarashi is 6-0 in makushita and needs one more win to at least secure a playoff for the yusho (the only other makushita competitor at 6-0 is MS43 Taiga, a mongolian veteran who's never made it past MS27). he has to be considered the odds-on favorite to lock that yusho up, however he has to face a juryo competitor (akiseyama) on day 13 first.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
This basho has been incredible. I can't wait for tomorrow! Hakuho's match was excellent. People were really going at it, really entertained!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

anakha posted:

Day 12: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcEXWQBOw4E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Let's just say the 'main events' did not disappoint. :iia:

I don't think I breathed once the Ozeki matches started.

I have to agree with Kintamayama on the Kotooshu match... nothing big at stake for Aoiyama, both of them the only two Bulgarians, Kotooshu desperately needing a win, aaaand... that was way too easy. :iiam:

Kisenosato chose the best time ever to not gently caress around on the line. Kisenosato out tachi-ai'd Harumafuji and that was the whole match. Let that sink in for a moment. Kisenosato. Was faster off the line. Than Harumafuji.

loving Kakuryu. You are the destroyer of dreams, except when I want you to be. You had a whole second or two to bury your shoulder into Hakuho and drive him out while he was wide open. He'll probably crush Kisenosato's dream tomorrow, which will make me all :smith:

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

How do I read these scores?

Daidou (13E, 6-5) - Gagamura (11W,8-3)
1-4

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
Wrestler A (Rank, Current Tournament Wins - Current Tournament Losses) - Wrestler B (Rank, Current Tournament Wins - Current Tournament Losses))
Times Wrestler A has won past meetings between these two - Times Wrestler B has won past meetings between these two

So in the example you posted:

Daido is Ranked 13E, which is on the low end of Makuuchi. He has 6 wins and 5 losses so far this tournament.
Gagamaru is ranked 11W, which is higher than Daido. He has 8 wins and 3 losses.
In their previous meetings, Daido has won 1 time and Gagamaru has won 4 times.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

And once you're a yokozuna or ozeki you don't get a rank? Thanks for that.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
For all of the divisions other than top (Makuuchi), Ranks just go:

1E - 1W
2E - 2W
3E - 3W
ect ect

But in Makuuchi, there are what are called san'yaku ranks. These are above the normal rankings.

So in Juryo division, the highest ranked wrestler is ranked J1E, or Juryo 1 East. But in the top division, the wrestler ranked Maegashira 1 East (or M1E) is below a number of other wrestlers who are "Titled".

The titles are (in order of prominence):
Yokozuna
Ozeki
Sekiwake
Komusubi

So a Komusubi is higher ranked than someone ranked M1E. Sekiwake and Komusubi are considered "Junior" san'yaku ranks, and generally are attained the same way higher Maegashira ranks (getting 8 or more wins the tournament before and moving up a few ranks). Ozeki and Yokozuna have stricter requirements. While it's the sumo associations judgement call, the rule of thumb is that to become an Ozeki you must have 33 wins in the last 3 tournaments (average 11-4 or better), although promotion to Ozeki with as few as 30 wins is possible. To become a Yokozuna, you must win two tournaments in a row (generally).

Ozeki and Yokozuna also have special rules for being demoted. In the Ozeki's case, finishing with a losing record (7-8 or lower) doesn't immediately result in demotion, like it would for any other rank. They keep their rank but are considered kadoban, which means that if they don't get at least 8 wins the next tournament they will be demoted. This happened recently to Baruto, who is now a Sekiwake. A Yokozuna can never be demoted, but they are expected to retire if they can't keep winning 8-10 or more times per tournament.

I am probably wrong in various places here, feel free to correct me anyone!

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I would just add that the number of Ozeki and Yokozuna fluctuate a little bit, its not a hard number. Like if someone gets demoted from Ozeki or a Yokozuna retires, its not required to promote someone immediately. In addition, if there are two yokozuna like now, but someone gets two perfect tournaments in a row, there will be three yokozuna.

Though I'm sure the Sumo Association uses their oversight if it has the possibility of becoming too ridiculous either way. I think under normal circumstances though it will be pretty constant on its own.

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

To add, there have been periods where there are no Yokozuna.

There is no rule requiring there to be at least one.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
Day 13: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-ihcJbtx2o

great that kintamayama included that osunaarashi bout, which clinches the makushita yusho for him and guarantees him a spot in juryo - first african sekitori ever. real happy for the guy, hope he doesn't flame out against the tougher competition.

as for the makuuchi portion, can't wait for tomorrow.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Omg Hakuho VS Kise-no-Sato tomorrow (Saturday.) Both have perfect wins so far, only 1 can get the tournament trophy...

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I am going to chew my fingernails down to nubs before the showcase match tomorrow. We may also see the end of Kotooshu if he loses to Shohouzan tomorrow, because I really don't see him beating Kakuryu on day 15.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm not sure who should get more of the blame for that messed-up tachiai during the Gagamaru-Yoshikaze bout - the gyoji for not calling the obvious matta or Yoshikaze for expecting it.

Oof, Aran's been off this basho.

Very slick sidesteps there by both yokozuna.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
The tension is mounting now! The Gagamaru match was definitely messed up but you have to try even though the gyoji missed the call, but to be honest I'm finding myself rooting for Gagamaru. After Aran abandoned his henka'ing ways I'm rooting for him as well too bad he's not having a good tourney.

Also, at the end of it all I'm pulling for a Japanese yusho, it's probably a good thing for the sport.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

Also, at the end of it all I'm pulling for a Japanese yusho, it's probably a good thing for the sport.

^^^

I also meant to comment about Gagamaru. Has anyone else noticed that he hasn't been falling flat on his face at all this basho? He looks very well balanced and has been wrestling like a really fat and unfinished Kisenosato.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Funkysauce posted:

it is, but i also want to see hakuho add to his yusho number... i would love to see him pass taiho eventually, partially because i'd love to be able to say that i was following the sport while the greatest of all time was active. not that losing this time around would necessarily be a major impediment to that, he still has many good years ahead of him barring major injury, which hasn't been a persistent problem for him, and there are no upstarts who can consistently make it difficult for him yet.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
As much as I want Kisensato, who's my favorite of the Ozekis, to win the Yusho, I really think that Hakuho's going to demolish him. Hakuho's a monster and is wrestling really well.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Goddamn, tomorrow is probably the most exciting day since the final day of last year's September tournament when Harumafuji won his promotion. Kisenosato and Hakuho most likely deciding the yusho, Kotooshu on the edge of demotion. Goeido hanging in there by a thread and a bunch of guys rearing to take his sekiwake berth. :allears:

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

Just Winging It posted:

Goddamn, tomorrow is probably the most exciting day since the final day of last year's September tournament when Harumafuji won his promotion. Kisenosato and Hakuho most likely deciding the yusho, Kotooshu on the edge of demotion. Goeido hanging in there by a thread and a bunch of guys rearing to take his sekiwake berth. :allears:

If Kisenosato wins here and in July the ozeki ranks get very interesting. Baruto was demoted in January and Kotooshu is on the edge after spending 7+ years as an ozeki.

You could have a situation where there are 3 yokozuna and 2 ozeki.

Kisenosato has but together a very good run since July 2011. He has scored at least 10 wins in every basho except for one but no overall wins. This may be where he breaks through.

Edit: Kisenosato is Japanese and if he breaks through would be the first Japanese yokozuna since Wakanohana, who was promoted in 1998.

evilwaldo fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 24, 2013

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
Let's see if he wins this tournament before suddenly discussing possible Yokozuna-dom.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Day 14: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrlvX_Q0lL8

I love how alive the crowd is during Hakuho-Kisenosato

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

gently caress yes. That crowd reminded me of a puroresu crowd during the height of wrestlers like Misawa, Kawada, Kobashi, etc. in the 90s. Really added to the atmosphere of the bout.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
hakuho - kisenosato definitely lived up to its billing. fantastic bout. hopefully harumafuji can take hakuho out tomorrow so we get a rematch.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
That sidestep from Hakuho at the beginning was dirty. Kisenosato improved his starting charge so much during the current tournament, I'd have liked to see what kind of effect it would've had on Hakuho if he'd taken it head on.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005

anakha posted:

gently caress yes. That crowd reminded me of a puroresu crowd during the height of wrestlers like Misawa, Kawada, Kobashi, etc. in the 90s. Really added to the atmosphere of the bout.

You made me sad. I miss puroresu.

But that was indeed a great match! I was all tense before the tachi-ai and then when they stood back up and glared at each other I found my self clapping and yelling like an idiot.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS0UBKNY7L8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

For the love of God, somebody get Masunoyama to a surgeon already.

Takarafuji-Aran :black101:

The Yokozuna bout was kind of a letdown atmosphere-wise, compared to yesterday.

anakha fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 26, 2013