Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

crankdatbatman posted:

There's a pedo in the Shining, if I recall correctly, and he tries to go after Danny. But sex doesn't actually occur.

I just re-read The Shining and I don't remember a pedophile. Did I miss something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

little munchkin posted:

I could have sworn that he does that in one other book, but that other guy said no. There's some other weird sexual poo poo involving children though. Library Police is a pretty bizarre story.

Christ, I'd completely blocked that short story from my memory. Thanks ever so for reminding me. <:mad:>

LBJs Jumbo Dick
May 6, 2007
Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!

Pheeets posted:

I just re-read The Shining and I don't remember a pedophile. Did I miss something?

Well. Its a ghost pedophile in a dog costume...

janklow
Sep 28, 2001

whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent.

Sharkie posted:

I had forgotten this...I remember the sister died in the shed, right? But I guess my brain blocked that out how that happened, too.
if you still had doubts, that is correct; she dies during the final big fight as townspeople are trying to kill Gard; the tentacle thing happens when she first confronts her sister

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

ganthony posted:

Now Stephen King's appearance in the one Shining movie makes sense.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

ganthony posted:

I just read that book and the dude wasn't a pedophile, he was gay and head over heels for the main guy who had owned the hotel who was bi-sexual (and apparently just depraved as all hell), I'll grab my copy and check but if I recall he wasn't after Danny sexually, he was trying to grab him during the ending moments where the hotel was at nearly full power and EVERYONE was present and after him.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The dog-man specifically threatens to bite off Danny's cock but I don't know if that is meant to imply pedophilia

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

iostream.h posted:

I just read that book and the dude wasn't a pedophile, he was gay and head over heels for the main guy who had owned the hotel who was bi-sexual (and apparently just depraved as all hell), I'll grab my copy and check but if I recall he wasn't after Danny sexually, he was trying to grab him during the ending moments where the hotel was at nearly full power and EVERYONE was present and after him.

Yeah, I didn't get pedo from it at all. He was just a submissive proto-furry with a humiliation fetish, so having his "master" order him to do tricks and make a fool of himself in a dog costume while not being allowed to speak was just a grand ol' time for him.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

crankdatbatman posted:

There's a pedo in the Shining, if I recall correctly, and he tries to go after Danny. But sex doesn't actually occur.

In The Talisman, Travelin' Jack is menaced by a were-thing that is previously noted for having a club-like penis.

Drimble Wedge posted:

Said it before, but Tommyknockers was strangely exhausting for me, maybe because of how sick and hosed up everyone was by the end (haven't re-read it in years but might give it another go soon).

I'm sure I've said it before in this thread, but The Tommyknockers is great if read from the perspective of having dealt with substance abuse or serious addiction of one form or another,

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

A Terrible Person posted:

In The Talisman, Travelin' Jack is menaced by a were-thing that is previously noted for having a club-like penis.

Also the fitting room guy that offers to blow him.. when he was like 12.. yech..

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Does anyone else love (and I mean I love) the Bachman Books? I think "The Long Walk" and "The Running Man" are better than anything King has written in the last twenty years. Whenever I talk to someone about Stephen King, they've never heard about "The Long Walk", which makes me deeply sad.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Does anyone else love (and I mean I love) the Bachman Books? I think "The Long Walk" and "The Running Man" are better than anything King has written in the last twenty years. Whenever I talk to someone about Stephen King, they've never heard about "The Long Walk", which makes me deeply sad.

I love Running Man and Long Walk. They are leaps and bounds ahead of the other Bachman Books.

The other Backman Books are (largely) not any better or worse than the bulk of his work as Stephen King. Except Blaze. gently caress Blaze. It's horrid.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ConfusedUs posted:

I love Running Man and Long Walk. They are leaps and bounds ahead of the other Bachman Books.

The other Backman Books are (largely) not any better or worse than the bulk of his work as Stephen King. Except Blaze. gently caress Blaze. It's horrid.

For some reason I know a lot of people who have read Thinner as their only Stephen King novel, which seems like a terrible first book to choose.

Finished Desperation. It was alright, still don't understand why it was necessary to have a world famous author in the cast of characters. It didn't even have much to do with the final twist of the plot which dealt more with Marinville's time in Vietnam than his literary career. Oh well, whatever. The ending felt kind of frayed, as in a lot of loose ends didn't feel properly closed. But it was fun.

Is the Regulators worth it? I plan on reading it next.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

crankdatbatman posted:

Is the Regulators worth it? I plan on reading it next.

Thread consensus seems to be that people who like Desperation usually don't like Regulators and vice versa. I'm on the Regulators side myself.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Stroth posted:

Thread consensus seems to be that people who like Desperation usually don't like Regulators and vice versa. I'm on the Regulators side myself.

Yep.

I love the Regulators for its sheer surreality. It's bizarre and gives no fucks about it. Desperation strikes me as fairly forced in comparison.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"
I honestly think it depends on which one you read first. I loved "Desperation," but couldn't finish "The Regulators."

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Well, screw it. I'm going to try to read it anyway. The thread seemed to me to favor Desperation, but while I enjoyed it I viewed it as an average King book with a fairly predictable ending. Maybe I'll enjoy the Regulators.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

crankdatbatman posted:

Well, screw it. I'm going to try to read it anyway. The thread seemed to me to favor Desperation, but while I enjoyed it I viewed it as an average King book with a fairly predictable ending. Maybe I'll enjoy the Regulators.

Regulator's ending is quite lovely, too, but I love it just for the sheer weirdness of it all. The story gives no fucks about making sense, which makes a queer kind of sense all its own, by the end of the story.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I enjoyed both of them equally, but in different ways. They both seemed to be a sort of fever dream.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

Regulator's ending is quite lovely

I see what you did there, and I approve.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Edwardian posted:

I honestly think it depends on which one you read first. I loved "Desperation," but couldn't finish "The Regulators."

I read The Regulators years after reading Desperation, and I enjoyed The Regulators more, though I wouldn't list either among my top 10 King/Bachman books.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Roydrowsy posted:

I see what you did there, and I approve.

It's the easiest pun in the world. I'm not nearly lax enough to let it slip past!

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I like both of them but this is probably part of why I like both. It happens if you take the hardcover of each and put them next to each other.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

crankdatbatman posted:

For some reason I know a lot of people who have read Thinner as their only Stephen King novel, which seems like a terrible first book to choose.

I honestly think Thinner is pretty great. It's rare to see body horror that's disturbing without resorting to pure grossness, and Thinner pushes it about as far as you can go without crossing that line I think. It's also pretty tightly-plotted--for once King realized he had a premise that was good for about 300 pages of story and didn't try to stretch it out.

It's probably not one of his 4 or 5 best books, but it's a good, quick introduction to a lot of what Stephen King can do well without most of his major weaknesses. It even has a pretty good ending.

Schlitzkrieg Bop fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 30, 2013

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Just wanted to report in that Horns is a really disturbing book. I always have a hard time reading anything to do with rape, but the whole section where we see everything from Lee's point of view was really messed up. I don't know if that makes me a prude or whatever, but just reading all that made me feel dirty. Took me a couple days to get through everything cause I'd have to put the book down, and then after getting through that section I had a hard time enjoying the climax.

I had a similar reaction to one of the short stories in Full Dark, No Stars, can't remember the title but it involved a broken down car and rape. Had to put down the book for a while after that story.

Anyway, I finished it and Heart Shaped Box. It sounds like people liked NOS4A2, so would you recommend giving it a read next? As you can probably guess, I'd like to give myself something more enjoyable to read :smith:

*edit* and put me in the camp of "enjoyed both Regulators and Desperation." Although I think Regulators was the more enjoyable read.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

NOS4A2 isn't any happier than Horns.

HappilyDeranged
Mar 17, 2009
It's not happier, but I don't think it has any graphic descriptions of rape in it. Lots of other types of violence, though!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not even half way through it so while I can't attest to its content I can say that NOS4A2 is well worth a read. It feels like good old school King.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, although the King I've read is still kind of limited, it's hard to think of King/King-related stories that I'd say were happy or feel good.

Maybe the Green Mile, sort of? But not really.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

crankdatbatman posted:

The Green Mile is depressing as hell.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

HappilyDeranged posted:

It's not happier, but I don't think it has any graphic descriptions of rape in it. Lots of other types of violence, though!
I'm about halfway through, and while there have been no graphic rape descriptions so far there is definitely a lot of implied rape from Bing's treatment of the "mommies" so if that's enough to spoil it for you, I'd steer clear.

From what I've read so far it's my favorite Joe Hill book so I think it's worth a read, but I know how bad any kind of rape-stuff can make people feel, so I'd rather warn someone asking about it before they get in to it.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Some of them are also full of murder if that bothers you.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

NOS4A2 isn't any happier than Horns.

I haven't read Horns, but the last part of NOS4A2 is pretty goddamn happy. What's not to like about what's basically T2 Sarah Connor absolutely wrecking the villain's hokey Christmas vampire hideout?

Lots of murder and rape though.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ornamented Death posted:

The Green Mile is depressing as hell.

The Bad Death of Edward Delacroix was one of the hardest books for me to get through. The electric chair scene made me physically ill and gave me nightmares. I've still never seen the movie. It's weird, I've never had this reaction to any of King's other books or movies. Violence and gore dont bother me, but that scene just wrecked me.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

HappilyDeranged posted:

Yeah, this exactly. I don't mind reading all kinds of messed up stuff and am a huge King fan, own all of his books and have read through most of them at least 2-3 times each. Just.... rape is a little much for me. I can push through a rape story, but it really sucks the fun out of the story.

Really Horns did an awesome job of putting the reader in the bad guy's head. It was physically uncomfortable to read that whole section of the book.

I'll check out Nos4a2 then, sounds like it could be good!

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong

crankdatbatman posted:

Yeah, although the King I've read is still kind of limited, it's hard to think of King/King-related stories that I'd say were happy or feel good.

Shawshank Redemption is the first thing that comes to mind when trying to think of a feel-good King story. The Body (Stand By Me is the movie version) also starts out as kind of wistful nostalgia but it does get pretty drat depressing by the end.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I recently finished Full Dark, No Stars, and the "Big Driver" story was really difficult to get through due to the fact that it centers around a rape.

The "Under the Weather" story was a great short one.

Four Finger Wu
Jan 11, 2008
I found the most disturbing part of Horns to be the description of the villain "caring" for his mother in her final days. That has stayed with me and bothered me more than anything I have read in a long time.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I really need to read Horns. I listened to the audio book and I thought it was kind of silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Just got 100 pages into Joyland, nothing spooky or crime related, but its a pretty solid book. So far it's the story of a mopey college kid working at an amusement park, but it's interesting. I just like the way he writes people as real actual god damned people.