Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

SynthOrange posted:

^^^^

"I'm sorry Paz, but I'm a protagonist, and you're a side character..."
Hm, that's a good question. Can you 'marry into' plot armor?

Also, don't you break her heart, Kat. She's putting it in your hands, don't you dare break it. I swear to god, don't you go breakin' that heart.

But hey, no pressure. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Tupperwarez posted:

Hm, that's a good question. Can you 'marry into' plot armor?

I'd actually say that, as a side character, entering into a platonic, romantic or any other form of relationship with a main character substantially decreases any plot armor of the side character.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'm getting the horrible feeling that Paz is basically repeating Kat's own situation back to her - only Kat's buried and confusing feelings are about Annie. I hope I'm wrong on that one, because otherwise we have some serious :smith: incoming...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Tupperwarez posted:

[D]on't you go breakin' that heart.

Don't you mean Don't You Go Breakin' My Heart?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Now we have to wait two MORE days! Tom why :negative:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Macaluso posted:

Now we have to wait two MORE days! Tom why :negative:

It's cute how you think Monday won't be a jump to another scene entirely. :haw:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I can see Kat just running away because she has no idea how to deal with all this. Or some magical poo poo happens because they touched hands. Maybe not the good kind of magical.
You never know and that's half the frustration fun!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

That said, it may add a little more context to this page.

I hope she doesn't run away. :ohdear:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The letter literally said:

10 i think you are funny
20 i think you are smart
30 i think you are kind

Bobby is a great writer.

Kat, no rompas ese corazón! :argh:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Oh the awkwardness of teenage crushes. I don't miss it at all

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I really feel like Kat's going to freak out and pull her hand away and maybe try to run. I just hope Paz stops her and says something like "It's alright, I just wanted to tell you how I feel. Take some time to think it over, okay?"

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

pumpinglemma posted:

I'm getting the horrible feeling that Paz is basically repeating Kat's own situation back to her - only Kat's buried and confusing feelings are about Annie. I hope I'm wrong on that one, because otherwise we have some serious :smith: incoming...

Now that you've said it, I can see this happening.

I've accidentally exposed myself to some of the new 'shipping' fanart out there and it was terrible. I hate that people obsess about a very shallow romantic/sexual aspect instead of a more in-depth look at the character and their story. It's sleazy. The internet has made everything terrible. I can't even think about potential romantic connections in the sense of their plot impact without having to push away what others will make of it. Luckily, Tom ultimately doesn't have that problem, and will proceed with the comic the way it makes sense for the characters and the story.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Oh drat, this page makes a lot of sense now.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Now? It made sense before. She had just been in a confusing situation and then felt awkward about herself.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

Rasselas posted:

Now that you've said it, I can see this happening.

I've accidentally exposed myself to some of the new 'shipping' fanart out there and it was terrible. I hate that people obsess about a very shallow romantic/sexual aspect instead of a more in-depth look at the character and their story. It's sleazy. The internet has made everything terrible. I can't even think about potential romantic connections in the sense of their plot impact without having to push away what others will make of it. Luckily, Tom ultimately doesn't have that problem, and will proceed with the comic the way it makes sense for the characters and the story.

In this notion, the GKC forum thread about yesterday's comic has gotten STUPID. Multi paragraph essays about how their uncertainty about Kat's preferred gender is homophobic? Then some pablum about the "queer community".

Jesus Christ, they're 14 and discovering their preferences. It's awkward and (possibly) hurtful but its really not couched in social gender commentary!

That said, apparently Chibisoma has the same notoriety over there. So that's cute.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've learned that it's best just to not look at any other forums when it comes to GC.

Seriously, some folks are waaaaay too excited about the recent developments in this comic.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Part of the great thing about how Tom does comics is he has such a huge buffer that you can pretty much guarantee that any short-term reaction to the comic will have zero effect on his creative process.

Also he doesn't really seem to give much consideration to knee-jerk reactions anyway. Tom's pretty much the chillest and most reasonable comic author on the internet.

DaveWoo posted:

I've learned that it's best just to not look at any other forums when it comes to GC.
Fixed that for you.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

M.c.P posted:

That said, apparently Chibisoma has the same notoriety over there. So that's cute.

Got a link for this? I am intrigued. :v:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Wasn't Chibisoma's original rant posted in GC's official forums first? At least when I wanted to find out about that and did some searches, I found the post over there.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

M.c.P posted:

In this notion, the GKC forum thread about yesterday's comic has gotten STUPID. Multi paragraph essays about how their uncertainty about Kat's preferred gender is homophobic? Then some pablum about the "queer community".

Jesus Christ, they're 14 and discovering their preferences. It's awkward and (possibly) hurtful but its really not couched in social gender commentary!

The Internet is the reason I imagine Tom getting to this point in the story, reconsidering drawing it briefly, then exhaling, "Welp, here we go."

I have every confidence that this will be handled with care like the rest of his comic. The Internet, however: :shrek:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

Seriously, some folks are waaaaay too excited about the recent developments in this comic.
Yeah, the comic had like what, 600 comments undearneath it? I like how Tom is sucking all the awkwardness out of this somehow. This reads really natural.

Podima posted:

Got a link for this? I am intrigued. :v:

Let's not turn into the CAD Mock Thread, yes?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Blackheart posted:

Wasn't Chibisoma's original rant posted in GC's official forums first? At least when I wanted to find out about that and did some searches, I found the post over there.

As I recall, the famous post we all remember was a compilation of tweets and posts from the official GC forum, and was actually compiled (and posted here) by Tom himself.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
Paz, you have no idea what you're getting into here

This chick's a religious icon now; are you absolutely certain you want your rear end canonized

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

AE-35 Unit posted:

The Internet is the reason I imagine Tom getting to this point in the story, reconsidering drawing it briefly, then exhaling, "Welp, here we go."

I have every confidence that this will be handled with care like the rest of his comic. The Internet, however: :shrek:

Yeah, I feel the same way. It sucks that there's that sort of mentality out there when it comes to this sort of thing, but Tom is one of the few webcomic authors I would trust to actually handle the subject well, without making it look exploitative or pandering.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

How long ago was the Chibisoma thing now? What if Tom's buffer is so freakin' huge that he drew this arc right after that all happened as a way to spite the guy far in the future? :tinfoil:

"Oh, so they're gonna rant about relationship issue, are they? Let's see how they deal with this!"

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

How long ago was the Chibisoma thing now? What if Tom's buffer is so freakin' huge that he drew this arc right after that all happened as a way to spite the guy far in the future? :tinfoil:

"Oh, so they're gonna rant about relationship issue, are they? Let's see how they deal with this!"
As I recall, Tom's buffer is like two to three months worth of comics. I bet its gotten bigger since he went full-time though.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

Watch Bobby tell the other robots about this and spark a religious war.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

CrushedB posted:

Watch Bobby tell the other robots about this and spark a religious war.

Well we know what happened last time the Creator got tangled in a romantic relationship...

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Good for you Paz. Here's hoping things turn out okay for you and Kat in some way or form. :ohdear: It's going to be a long weekend till the next comic.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

DaveWoo posted:

As mentioned above, that rule is generalizable to "It's best just to not look at any other forums about anything SA talks about." to be honest (see: MS Paint Adventures)

But don't break her heart Kat... :ohdear:

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 24, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rasamune posted:

Paz, you have no idea what you're getting into here

This chick's a religious icon now; are you absolutely certain you want your rear end canonized

And/or murdered by her robo cult for interrupting her work?

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Every time I look at that ChibiSoma rant, after the requisite period of laughter, I feel respect for Tom and any other artist that has to put up with that horseshit, especially during the age of the Internet where the barrier between the creator and the audience is paper-thin.

Joyce Carol Oates once said something about a writer needing to have a hide like a rhino's. Joyce Carol Oates didn't have a twitter account at the time.

About the comic: now I'm starting to think this will work out well for Paz. If not now, then after a couple of rough chapters while Kat sorts her poo poo out.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I suspect this entire thing is so that he can establish Kat isn't a lesbian, and he can have Kat or Annie move forward in their own romantic relationship(Not with each other, but with a guy).

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I suspect this entire thing is so that he can establish Kat isn't a lesbian, and he can have Kat or Annie move forward in their own romantic relationship(Not with each other, but with a guy).

Eh, I dunno about that. Somehow I doubt Tom actually cares too terribly much about having to prove what his characters are or aren't.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

AE-35 Unit posted:

Eh, I dunno about that. Somehow I doubt Tom actually cares too terribly much about having to prove what his characters are or aren't.

And it'd probably be a mostly futile attempt, in any case. These folks want to believe.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

quote:

And it'd probably be a mostly futile attempt, in any case. These folks want to believe.

Yeah, sadly if there's something that defines shipping (besides being deeply stupid) is that they'll "ship" everyone and everything despite what the source material says just because they really really want to imagine said characters loving. Age, gender preferences or even being from different media doesn't factor at all.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

DaveWoo posted:

These folks want to believe.

So, this is what powers the Aether.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blackheart posted:

Yeah, sadly if there's something that defines shipping (besides being deeply stupid) is that they'll "ship" everyone and everything despite what the source material says just because they really really want to imagine said characters loving. Age, gender preferences or even being from different media doesn't factor at all.

I think it was in a thread up in PYF that mentioned Supernatural fans get so caught up in shipping Sam and Dean (and that angel dude), that Ackles and Padalecki can't bring their actual wives to cons any more.

The internet is painful.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Phy posted:

I think it was in a thread up in PYF that mentioned Supernatural fans get so caught up in shipping Sam and Dean (and that angel dude), that Ackles and Padalecki can't bring their actual wives to cons any more.

The internet is painful.

Wasn't there an episode of that show that had them reading something akin to that poo poo and being really freaked out by it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
One possible outcome I could see is Kat just fainting, but the hand being jerked away seems to be the more likely thing to happen given the setup. Most likely it'll switch back to Annie or say...Jones (why not?), but we could have Kat running away from this situation and then apologizing to Paz for being rude later on. Kat doesn't strike me as someone that would be intentionally rude or hurtful in this situation, but doing so unintentionally due to the sudden shock of it all I can see being a real possibility. She could also handle this well right now after a few more "huh"s and "wha"s probably, or she could be completely fine with it. Honestly I'm cool with any of these scenarios, but as always it's usually a fool's errand to try and predict this comic.

Also I think this is sort of a trope (except I don't want to look it up because gently caress that site) regarding schools and misguided same-sex crushes, or at the very least I feel like I've seen this kind of thing a few times before.