Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Why is the Transformer series so hated here? I know it had faulty hardware issues and such which the tf700 mostly fixed. And aside from being a little sluggish at times it's pretty drat cool

I just wish more tablets had things like expandable memory and USB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Christoff posted:

Why is the Transformer series so hated here?
I don't think anyone hates the Transformer series. They're probably your best bet if you want an Android tablet that isn't a Nexus device. Any negative opinions you see might be holdovers from the early Transformer devices which were a bit poo poo, Asus' awful RMA service, and the fact that the TF700T is now a bit long in the tooth.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Christoff posted:

Why is the Transformer series so hated here? I know it had faulty hardware issues and such which the tf700 mostly fixed. And aside from being a little sluggish at times it's pretty drat cool

Quality control issues, poor design issues, Asus support issues.

gently caress man, just look at the first post in this thread.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1815968

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I don't think anyone hates the Transformer series. They're probably your best bet if you want an Android tablet that isn't a Nexus device. Any negative opinions you see might be holdovers from the early Transformer devices which were a bit poo poo, Asus' awful RMA service, and the fact that the TF700T is now a bit long in the tooth.

I think a lot of people were put off by the TF201. When I first got it, I loved it. I learned to deal with the crippled GPS, and that got fixed with the dongle. But the fact that I could just barely get WiFi through one wall got to me over time. And then in public, about the only time it was useful with WiFi was when I tethered my phone; if I was in some place that had WiFi sometimes that'd work, but not always.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

teagone posted:

I think the $149 Hisense tablet seems like a good deal, considering its innards are pretty much equal to a Nexus 7, but with the addition of microSD, hdmi, and a rear camera.

Filling out a checkbox list of "features" does not automatically make your product good.

Edit: To clarify, the most important features of any mobile device (build quality, company support, reliability, ease of use, etc) don't show up on feature lists

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

....who uses GPS on a tablet?

I heard/read the wifi issues were hit and miss on the tf201

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Christoff posted:

Oh good, this debate from 2 years ago.

Whether you use it or not, it was listed as a feature that ended up being completely broken.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Oh good, this debate from 2 years ago.

Whether you use it or not, it was listed as a feature that ended up being completely broken.

Yea, it was so bad they actually removed it from the box and website, after people had already paid $499 of course.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Christoff posted:

I heard/read the wifi issues were hit and miss on the tf201

For FourSquare checkins I do, and occasionally if I'm a passenger in a car trying to find out how to get somewhere when I don't have my regular GPS. There are the occasional few that use Torque (car software) and a tablet as well, but I've only tried that twice before.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

teagone posted:

Hisense launched 2 Walmart exclusive 7" tablets today, at $99 and $149 price points.

The $149 looks like a pretty good deal and I might just pick one up for the hell of it since my TP running CM10.1 is collecting dust under its screen like crazy haha. http://www.androidcentral.com/hisense-launches-pair-walmart-exclusive-tablets-starting-99?utm_source=feedly

The Hisense Pulse is a horrible piece of poo poo that I wasted my money on a few months ago, and the company kept lying about firmware updates for the device. I wouldn't trust them with this.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

But I mean does it actually work without an internet connection?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Christoff posted:

GPS? Sure; there are several GPS apps that store all the maps and POIs locally: TomTom, Navigon, others I forget.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Google maps allows downloading maps for offline use.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Christoff posted:

There are those that the other people mentioned, but I typically just used Maps tethered

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Given the advantages of Nexus devices in terms of software updates and developer community support, the only devices worth recommending would be those that can either:

1)      Provide functions/features that current Nexus devices are not capable of providing at the moment. ASUS's Transformer and FonePad tablets are examples of trying to provide these additional features (whether these features are worth it is another issue entirely);

2)      Deliver the same user experience at such a lower price that the software update and dev support tradeoffs are worth it. Given the practically-cutthroat price the Nexus 7 sells for, this is much more difficult to achieve than people think. I think the Nexus 10’s pricing leaves an opening for other OEMs, though.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Well, there is one more option, i dunno if they're still doing the Nook HD sales or not. I got the Nook HD+ (it's a 9 inch tablet) for $149 and Cyanogenmod 10.1 runs pretty well on that. There's a version for the 7 inch Nook HD as well.

IIRC, the various versions of the Amazon Kindle Fire don't have as good ROM support (if any at all for some models) as the Nook series.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Mister Fister posted:

Well, there is one more option, i dunno if they're still doing the Nook HD sales or not. I got the Nook HD+ (it's a 9 inch tablet) for $149 and Cyanogenmod 10.1 runs pretty well on that. There's a version for the 7 inch Nook HD as well.

IIRC, the various versions of the Amazon Kindle Fire don't have as good ROM support (if any at all for some models) as the Nook series.
I almost bought a Nook HD since the higher PPI screen would take care of my biggest complaint about the Nexus 7. Then I realized it'd just be another tablet to sell when the new Nexus 7 comes out so I'll just keep using my 10 to read until the new one comes out.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Christoff posted:

I don't hate my tf201, I love it! Its just that 18 months have passed and I assume technology progressed so I want better/ faster/ more.

The HP looks great, thanks!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't know that I would touch the HP.

About the only advantage is the keyboard dock and the SD card. Otherwise, it's lower resolution than the nexus 10 and HP hasn't exactly been known for their Android tablets so far.

The only sane tablet choices right now are.

1) Nexus 7 (kinda iffy on this even because it HAS to be updated soon.)
2) Nexus 10
3) Current flavor of Transformer if you must have a keyboard dock.

Anything else, I would avoid.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

bull3964 posted:

I don't know that I would touch the HP ... Anything else, I would avoid.
I know; I was hoping there were a lot of options out there and perhaps something better than a Nexus 10 with a Tegra 4. Ultimately I am hoping a whole bunch of Tegra 4 based products are announced/released for the fall and Xmas season.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

fondue posted:

I know; I was hoping there were a lot of options out there and perhaps something better than a Nexus 10 with a Tegra 4. Ultimately I am hoping a whole bunch of Tegra 4 based products are announced/released for the fall and Xmas season.

Yeah, I think if you're willing to wait that's probably a good bet--the Transformer series, at least, is seriously due for a refresh, so that would at least be an alternative to the Nexus (and one or both Nexus tablets may get a refresh too)

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Is the Nexus 10 really worth double the price of the 7? I've never owned a tablet before but lately I've been thinking of getting a one. 7" looks a bit small but then $400 for the 10" seems a bit much for something I don't really 100% need.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

nrr posted:

Is the Nexus 10 really worth double the price of the 7? I've never owned a tablet before but lately I've been thinking of getting a one. 7" looks a bit small but then $400 for the 10" seems a bit much for something I don't really 100% need.

The screen is gorgeous and the device is fast.

I bought one in December. It had pretty awful battery life and I returned it after a week, but in hindsight I may have gotten a bad device and should have looked into RMAing it because I have yet to see anyone else with the sort of problems mine had.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Sorry, is that the 10 or the 7 you're referring to?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

nrr posted:

Sorry, is that the 10 or the 7 you're referring to?

Sorry, the 10.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

nrr posted:

7" looks a bit small but then $400 for the 10" seems a bit much for something I don't really 100% need.

What are you planning on viewing on it? I thought the same thing initially and had a Transformer for a while but I grew to hate the size. Now I have a Nexus 7 and, ignoring the flaws specific to my device, I love it to death. I can read comics and PDFs on it with no issue whatsoever.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Mostly for browsing/posting to be honest. That's why I was interested in a transformer for the keyboard dock because I don't know how useful touchscreen keyboards are for banging out 1000 word careposts about anime.

Watching tv/movies would be a good too though, and if it can run some basic music production stuff like a vsti or amp/effects simulator, then that would be perfect. Never having owned a tablet before, I really have no idea what they're capable of, so I don't know how viable that last one is.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

nrr posted:

Mostly for browsing/posting to be honest. That's why I was interested in a transformer for the keyboard dock because I don't know how useful touchscreen keyboards are for banging out 1000 word careposts about anime.

Watching tv/movies would be a good too though, and if it can run some basic music production stuff like a vsti or amp/effects simulator, then that would be perfect. Never having owned a tablet before, I really have no idea what they're capable of, so I don't know how viable that last one is.
Either will do webpages fine, and typing isn't hard once you get used to it, although I think a 10" is better in both respects, especially with the much higher resolution (not just size). Others prefer the smaller 7". Try them both at a store and see?

Music production is presently pretty lovely on any android because of the huge latency. Supposedly some (hardware?) work-arounds are in the works but I don't know about cost / availability / performance. iOS dominates mobile music production because of the latency issue.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

I really am looking to get a Nexus 7, I'm just afraid that if I do they'll announce the refresh immediately after.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

randyest posted:

Either will do webpages fine, and typing isn't hard once you get used to it, although I think a 10" is better in both respects, especially with the much higher resolution (not just size). Others prefer the smaller 7". Try them both at a store and see?

Music production is presently pretty lovely on any android because of the huge latency. Supposedly some (hardware?) work-arounds are in the works but I don't know about cost / availability / performance. iOS dominates mobile music production because of the latency issue.

The only problem is that I live about 2 hours away from any stores that I can try either out at and I don't get the chance to make that trip often. I guess the reason I was interested in a Nexus over an ipad was the price, and I didn't really want to spend $500 on a tablet. I guess if I want to tick all my boxes then I'm going to just have to go for it, I'm just really reluctant to pull the trigger.

I guess back to my original question, do many of you think the Nexus 10 is worth the extra $200 over the 7? If so, how do you think the 10 stacks up against an ipad?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

nrr posted:

The only problem is that I live about 2 hours away from any stores that I can try either out at and I don't get the chance to make that trip often. I guess the reason I was interested in a Nexus over an ipad was the price, and I didn't really want to spend $500 on a tablet. I guess if I want to tick all my boxes then I'm going to just have to go for it, I'm just really reluctant to pull the trigger.

I guess back to my original question, do many of you think the Nexus 10 is worth the extra $200 over the 7? If so, how do you think the 10 stacks up against an ipad?
Personally I'd definitely go for the 10 because, after using a really high-resolution pad for a while, I can't really tolerate the visible pixels on a nexus 7 or ipad 2 -- especially on pdf's, books, and webpages. But before I got the super-resolution ("retina" or whatever you want to call it) I was fine with the old "low-res" tablets. If you never look at a 10 or an ipad3/4 or have poor eyesight you might not mind it. Some people prefer the smaller 7" because it's lighter, but I personally don't find the nexus 10 or ipads to be heavy or bulky.

As for ipad vs. android (nexus) it depends on what you want to do. If you like tweaking everything and flashing custom roms and whatnot, android will probably make you happier. It's a little cheaper too, but then again iOS has more tablet-specific apps, and definitely is the only option for music production / amp effects with real music in/out type stuff, and tends to get the better games and newer apps (at least sooner, sometimes exclusively.)

If you'll just browse the web, play a few simple games, email, etc. either will probably do the job just fine.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I'd just add that I find typing is much easier on the smaller 7 than the 10. Holding the 7 in portrait, I really don't need to stretch or strain to reach the whole keyboard. Its like typing on a phone, but with a roomier keyboard. I usually type on the 10 in portrait, but there are times where I need to reposition my hands or stretch a lot to reach something. For that reason, if you're really going to be typing a ton on it as the primary purpose, without some bluetooth keyboard or something, I might recommend the 7.

For almost everything else, the 10 is a lot nicer. The screen is fantastic. And anyway, the typing difference probably isn't enough to outweigh all the cooler stuff about the 10.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The thumb keyboard app makes typing pretty sweet on 10" tablets. It cuts the keyboard in half so you can access all letters with your thumbs.

Dock is pretty awesome when you want it though. Honestly I'd recommend a asus transformer tf700 to anyone if it fills your niche/needs. Definitely not new though. That poo poo is expensive.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Christoff posted:

The thumb keyboard app makes typing pretty sweet on 10" tablets. It cuts the keyboard in half so you can access all letters with your thumbs.

Swype has this feature too. Not sure if Swiftkey does.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Thanks guys. What's the deal with docks for the Nexus 10? Are they any good? do they hold up to something like the transformer's dock? Are there any that are even worth it? From what I've seen, most docks look like they go for $80-100

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

If you care the asus has an sd card slot and USB slot. Not sure if they have that on the nexus

Dock can be had used for about $80

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Just a note - I thought the 7 might be too small, but after playing with it for a few days I really enjoy using it!

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Is the Nexus 7 and 10 still the best bang for your buck at their sizes?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

maniacripper posted:

Is the Nexus 7 and 10 still the best bang for your buck at their sizes?

Yes for android.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

teagone posted:

Hisense launched 2 Walmart exclusive 7" tablets today, at $99 and $149 price points.

The $149 looks like a pretty good deal and I might just pick one up for the hell of it since my TP running CM10.1 is collecting dust under its screen like crazy haha. http://www.androidcentral.com/hisense-launches-pair-walmart-exclusive-tablets-starting-99?utm_source=feedly
If you wanted a $150 7" tablet you really missed the Nook HD a few weeks ago. I'm sure it will be on sale again, so just wait for it, but even then at $200 it's still a better deal.