Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Paragon8 posted:

So I am attending a wedding as a guest soon and I thought about shooting a few rolls with a cheap film point and shoot sort of as a gift to the couple of some pictures that look dramatically different from the Jasmine Star wannabee they're hiring.

Can any one recommend some good films. I think I might just get a five pack of Tri-x but the wedding is on a Greek Island so it might be nice to get some color. I have some rolls of Portra 400

Sounds like you're already set then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Is there anything nasty in the Tetenal or Unicolor C-41 (powder) kits that would likely raise eyebrows at Customs (Japan, in this case)? When I checked shipping to Japan at B&H it didn't give me any special warnings or anything, at least. On the other hand, they can be kinda strict about stuff we don't get much poo poo for in the USA... I was trying to get my hands on some silver nitrate last year and apparently you need a license? My freedom :911:

I bought the Unicolor C-41 kit from Freestyle a while ago (more than a year), specifically because Freestyle won't ship liquids internationally. Canada customs had no problems with it.
I bought the Tetenal E-6 kit from Maco, which contains liquids, again Canada customs had no issues.

I don't know how Canada compares to Japan regarding such things, though.

I was going to speculate that silver nitrate is used in some nefarious non-photography way, but wikipedia comes up empty beyond "it's toxic, like everything everywhere, if you spill enough on yourself or drink it". Perhaps some long-forgotten international trade dispute?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I was going to say portra, yeah. Or go the other way and push Tri-X/delta/hp5 within ND filter.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

VomitOnLino posted:

As I mentioned upthread, I had previously I bought some very expired (Produced in 1991, Expired 1997) Kodak Ektachrome 64T.
Well the results are in...

Here it is on my light table, reminder this is slide film and the magenta-y stuff should be jet black.

I guess I will shoot it anyway and then soup it in C41.
For now I'll see how it scans.

Looks like heat damage.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Paragon8 posted:

So I am attending a wedding as a guest soon and I thought about shooting a few rolls with a cheap film point and shoot sort of as a gift to the couple of some pictures that look dramatically different from the Jasmine Star wannabee they're hiring.

Can any one recommend some good films. I think I might just get a five pack of Tri-x but the wedding is on a Greek Island so it might be nice to get some color. I have some rolls of Portra 400

Ektar and Reala are pretty nice if your P+S shoots good exposures (like a Stylus Epic or something). Ektar does really nice earth tones, Reala is pretty good for nature. Or try some Provia if you're feeling lucky.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

Ektar and Reala are pretty nice if your P+S shoots good exposures (like a Stylus Epic or something). Ektar does really nice earth tones, Reala is pretty good for nature. Or try some Provia if you're feeling lucky.

It is a Yashica T3, which seems like it has a pretty nice lens at least.

Ektar looks pretty neat, I might just grab a couple of rolls of that to go with the portra.

Thanks everyone else for your suggestions!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I bought the Unicolor C-41 kit from Freestyle a while ago (more than a year), specifically because Freestyle won't ship liquids internationally. Canada customs had no problems with it.
I bought the Tetenal E-6 kit from Maco, which contains liquids, again Canada customs had no issues.

I don't know how Canada compares to Japan regarding such things, though.

I was going to speculate that silver nitrate is used in some nefarious non-photography way, but wikipedia comes up empty beyond "it's toxic, like everything everywhere, if you spill enough on yourself or drink it". Perhaps some long-forgotten international trade dispute?

Cool, thanks! I'm actually going to bounce it off my parents first (consolidating everything into a big package saves a mint on international shipping), gonna ask them to call it "developing chemistry kit" or something innocuous like that.

It wasn't so much bringing silver nitrate in (although I'm sure that'd also be a huge hassle), even to procure it domestically you've got to have a sort of license/certification for owning/handling it, as it's apparently classified as one step below actual poison here.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

dukeku posted:

Looks like heat damage.

I didn't know heat damage looked like that; although heat was my guess too, as summers here can get fiendishly hot.
But while the damage to the emulsion seems pretty profound, I managed to salvage almost all the images.

They look desaturated and very grainy, but it suits the subject matter just as well, in my opinion.
Interesting trivia: I was being pelted with torrential rain, huddling under an umbrella between tripod and camera, but besides movement in the plants it didn't show up at all.

Here are some samples:

More images here.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ I really like that first one.

I shot some generic store-brand expired 400 C-41 film on a walk a couple of weeks ago, and had my local shop develop it. I scanned it tonight, so it's been through at least two rounds of my barely-competence. I'm still pretty happy I have shots of an Osprey in flight with a fish in its talons.

Walking Near The South Saskatchewan 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

Walking Near The South Saskatchewan 2 by Execudork, on Flickr

Walking Near The South Saskatchewan 6 by Execudork, on Flickr

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

clarekta145a by Quantum of Phallus

Ektachrome Panther :dance:

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Lovely! I see you've done a lot of progress my friend, congrats!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

maxmars posted:

Lovely! I see you've done a lot of progress my friend, congrats!

Thanks Max!
Hopefully I'll get a roll of double exposure stuff out to you some time this summer, just need to buy some more negative film.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I think I'm going to take my K1000 out and shoot some 10 year expired and potentially heat damaged film soon. I lost my scanner in Hurricane Sandy and I'm not really so sure I want to replace it. I was planning on sending the film out to be processed as well. Where's a good place that will develop and scan my negs with decent quality? I know I could get it done at Walgreens but I'm assuming their scans will be poo poo.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I developed my first c-41 today. 6 rolls of 120 (fuji reala and portra 160 nc) and 1 roll of 220 ( portra 400). All expired film to boot, some of which had been sitting in a box for months. Any you know what? It was super duper easy. I used the unicolor 1 liter powder kit, mixed each of the 3 chemicals into seperate 1 l bottles , and I just poured in each to cover the film in the tank, and dumped it right back in when I was done. Basically no need to measure any liquids after the initial mix.

For the water bath I just filled up my bath tub, got it up to around 105 degrees, and then went and loaded the film in the bag, and by the time I was done the water (and the chems) were right around 102F. I'd go so far as saying that once you get the water bath figured out it's easier/faster than B/W.

Reala:

c41005.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Portra:

c41010.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

e. More Portra

c41014.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

c41015.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 17, 2013

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Shot some Tmax 100 that expired over 20 years ago and it still turned out pretty good.

got two more rolls, gonna use them for something that isn't documenting the neighborhood feral feline population.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Thanks Max!
Hopefully I'll get a roll of double exposure stuff out to you some time this summer, just need to buy some more negative film.

Sure whenever you want :)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
So I did some googling, C-41 chems are harmless if you mix them together (developer + blix) and pour down the drain with water? Only ran like 10 rolls of 120 through them.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
someone correct me if I'm wrong, but anything with "-ix" should never go down the drain. The fix is full of silver when it's used up, and heavy metals are bad for the environment.

edit: your 500ml doesn't mean squat in the big picture, but "no one raindrop believes it's responsible for the flood" and all that. Don't add to the water pollution.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 21, 2013

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Anyone know what the hell went wrong with this film? It's PanF that I shot in my Bronica. Some of them are underexposed (I blame my slightly iffy metered prism) but even the areas that are exposed ok are dodgy. I'm inclined to blame the photo shop that did this roll...

The whole roll is patchy like that, but there's still some pretty fine detail in all the shots. Any idea?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Anyone know what the hell went wrong with this film? It's PanF that I shot in my Bronica. Some of them are underexposed (I blame my slightly iffy metered prism) but even the areas that are exposed ok are dodgy. I'm inclined to blame the photo shop that did this roll...

The whole roll is patchy like that, but there's still some pretty fine detail in all the shots. Any idea?

Someone went ahead and made it awesome for you? Seriouspost:Lab scans or home scans? What do the negs look like?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I had that happen to one of my first rolls, one of the only ones I did with D-76. I have no idea what it was and I've never had it since I switched to HC110 and Rodinal.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Captain Postal posted:

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but anything with "-ix" should never go down the drain. The fix is full of silver when it's used up, and heavy metals are bad for the environment.
This is correct. Used fixer should be brought to your local hazardous waste disposal location. If you don't have a local one, keep it in gallon jugs and bring it somewhere once or twice a year. If you have absolutely no other way to dispose of it, you can remove most of the silver by putting a few pads of fine steel wool per gallon in your waste container, agitating it and letting it sit several times, and pouring off the liquid.

This is not an acceptable alternative to proper disposal, it's harm reduction if you lack any other options. If you're that remote that you can't dispose of it properly, you probably have a septic system and well water, so pouring it down the drain is still a really bad idea because it's still quite toxic.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

8th-samurai posted:

Someone went ahead and made it awesome for you? Seriouspost:Lab scans or home scans? What do the negs look like?

That's a home scan, the negatives look even worse! Guess I won't be taking things back to that place in a hurry, although they did alright with my 35mm B&W.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I had that happen to one of my first rolls, one of the only ones I did with D-76. I have no idea what it was and I've never had it since I switched to HC110 and Rodinal.

I have used D-76 with plenty of rolls and they turned out fine, but being an older formulation I agree that it's probably more likely to go iffy - e.g. less safe.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

That's a home scan, the negatives look even worse! Guess I won't be taking things back to that place in a hurry, although they did alright with my 35mm B&W.

There's basically no reason not to do your film development at home. You don't even need a darkroom for it.
A changing bag, the chemicals and a tank and you're set. It's also not really hard and also quite hard to gently caress up.

That said your roll looks like they over-washed it or something.
It seems to me like that the emulsion is starting to peel off from the gelatin layer in places. But that's just an educated guess, without seeing the negs I can't tell you much else.

Edit: Another idea would be that the film somehow got wet before exposure. Maybe a faulty batch? Was it already opened? Did you have it refrigerated?

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 25, 2013

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

If the temperatures vary too widely between your baths, you can get reticulation. I'm not sure if this is that, though.

GWBBQ posted:

This is correct. Used fixer should be brought to your local hazardous waste disposal location. If you don't have a local one, keep it in gallon jugs and bring it somewhere once or twice a year. If you have absolutely no other way to dispose of it, you can remove most of the silver by putting a few pads of fine steel wool per gallon in your waste container, agitating it and letting it sit several times, and pouring off the liquid.

This is not an acceptable alternative to proper disposal, it's harm reduction if you lack any other options. If you're that remote that you can't dispose of it properly, you probably have a septic system and well water, so pouring it down the drain is still a really bad idea because it's still quite toxic.

Just pour your used fixer and other chemicals into a bucket and leave it outside. Take it to the dump when you have an interesting bucket fulla white crystals and powders. :colbert:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

atomicthumbs posted:

If the temperatures vary too widely between your baths, you can get reticulation. I'm not sure if this is that, though.

Just pour your used fixer and other chemicals into a bucket and leave it outside. Take it to the dump when you have an interesting bucket fulla white crystals and powders. :colbert:

Don't take it to the dump, you still need to take it to a waste treatment plant so they can deal with it properly. If you take it to the dump it'll eventually dissolve in the rain and leech into the underground water table, which is good for nobody/anything.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The real solution if you actually care about the planet is just to stop taking pictures altogether.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
My freezer runneth over.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Spedman posted:

Don't take it to the dump, you still need to take it to a waste treatment plant so they can deal with it properly. If you take it to the dump it'll eventually dissolve in the rain and leech into the underground water table, which is good for nobody/anything.

my dump is also the designated hazardous materials place in my county, so

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

atomicthumbs posted:

my posts are designated hazardous material everywhere, so

:snoop:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

My freezer runneth over.

:colbert:

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Is it worth ALWAYS keeping film in the fridge? I bought like ten or so rolls that I'll be using in what I guess will be less than a month... Any reason for throwing them in the fridge for so little time?

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
If you're going to use them within a month, then not really. Assuming they will not get hotter than room temperature, in which case all bets are off, you only chill them to prolong their expiry date.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ
Also, is keeping it in the freezer necessary? Is the refrigerator good enough? I'm also worried about moisture/frost. I keep my film in a tupperware container in the refrigerator with a bunch of silica gel packs.

My dad gave me a bunch of 4x5 color film (C41 and E6) that he'd kept in the refrigerator in his office for like 15 years. Haven't shot any of it yet to see if it's still good.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

I live with food havers and am not allowed that much space. :911:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

All my film lives in a USPS flat rate box stuffed in the bottom of the freezer.

More of my home dev'd 120.

c41044.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

c41051.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Inf posted:

Also, is keeping it in the freezer necessary? Is the refrigerator good enough? I'm also worried about moisture/frost. I keep my film in a tupperware container in the refrigerator with a bunch of silica gel packs.

My dad gave me a bunch of 4x5 color film (C41 and E6) that he'd kept in the refrigerator in his office for like 15 years. Haven't shot any of it yet to see if it's still good.

There was a post on one of the film forums by... an Illford(?) technical officer, who said that there is a huge increase in shelf life between 25C and 4C, but no noticeable improvement between 4C and -20C. So fridge is in theory fine.

We all still use freezers though.

There is no way It is highly unlikely that 15 year old film will work properly - if it works you will get some funky effects so give it a try anyway.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 26, 2013

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Captain Postal posted:

There is no way that 15 year old film will work properly - if it works you will get some funky effects so give it a try anyway.
What? I've shot plenty of kodak gold that expired in the mid 90s and was stored in a drawer at room temperature with absolutely no noticeable change in quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

Captain Postal posted:

... it works you will get some funky effects so give it a try anyway.

That's the plan. It's all tungsten white balanced, though, so I'm not sure when I'll get around to using it since I mostly intend to shoot landscapes and stuff with my 4x5. I have a box of Delta 100 coming whenever B&H gets my mod54 in