Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Inevitable Ross posted:

Release vs debug mode? Missing copy/include in a build phase?

Build phases should be fine :\ It just seems like some file isn't making it over to the build machine.

I think this may have to do with the libCrashReporter-iphoneos.a file? Originally, the only one I could get to build from the source was the simulator one. I couldn't even find concrete instructions on how to do this correctly. I'm just confused and frustrated from the day :(

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Doh004 posted:

Build phases should be fine :\ It just seems like some file isn't making it over to the build machine.

I think this may have to do with the libCrashReporter-iphoneos.a file? Originally, the only one I could get to build from the source was the simulator one. I couldn't even find concrete instructions on how to do this correctly. I'm just confused and frustrated from the day :(

That include path is for a Framework, if you are building from source you probably just want <PLCrashreporter.h> Also if I remember correctly it works from the simulator but not from the debugger. For Testing one of the engineers wrote a function that forced a null ptr dereference like:

code:
(-) void functionToCrashTheProgramButRememberToTurnOffDebuggingBeforeLaunchingOrItWontDoWhatYouExpect
{
    char *p=NULL;
    *p = 1;
}

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
How many source files are we talking about here? If there aren't very many, it might be easier to just copy the source files into your project directly instead of trying to build PLCrashReporter as a separate library linked into your app.

edit: also, what privacy concerns? It's not like a crash report has anything personally identifiable in it. HockeyApp always asks the user before submitting a crash report, and Crashlytics can be configured to do so.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>
When I started my latest project I used CocoaPods from the start and it's completely alleviated all of my library headaches.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Thanks for the responses guys, your help is really appreciated. If I could, I'd send you all cookies.

Hughlander posted:

That include path is for a Framework, if you are building from source you probably just want <PLCrashreporter.h> Also if I remember correctly it works from the simulator but not from the debugger. For Testing one of the engineers wrote a function that forced a null ptr dereference like:

code:
(-) void functionToCrashTheProgramButRememberToTurnOffDebuggingBeforeLaunchingOrItWontDoWhatYouExpect
{
    char *p=NULL;
    *p = 1;
}

I am unable to import just the .h file. The only thing that autocompletes is the <CrashReporter/CrashReporter.h> file. You are correct that it doesn't work in the simulator. The thing that confuses me is I'm able to do a cmd + r to a physical device (connected via USB) and have it run off there. I've successfully caught uncaught exceptions and have been sending them over to our own error logging on our machines. So I know it's working, I just can't build it outside of my machine.

Doc Block posted:

How many source files are we talking about here? If there aren't very many, it might be easier to just copy the source files into your project directly instead of trying to build PLCrashReporter as a separate library linked into your app.

edit: also, what privacy concerns? It's not like a crash report has anything personally identifiable in it. HockeyApp always asks the user before submitting a crash report, and Crashlytics can be configured to do so.

The instructions that I found on StackOverflow (none are on the actual PLCrashReporter's website, terrible documentation) said that I needed to include both the .a file, which I build from the source, as well as the Crashreporter.framework. Is this not the case?

In regards to the privacy concerns, I agree whole heartidly and I fought as much as I, the mobile developer, could to remain with Crashlytics. Long story short, we have some clients whose contracts explicitly states they want NO records of their use of the platform for some ungodly reason. This even means the error logs they have on our website have little to no information for us to debug with should the need arise. I know it's unfortunate, but you have to make do.

vapid cutlery posted:

When I started my latest project I used CocoaPods from the start and it's completely alleviated all of my library headaches.

The next time I start one I will definitely be checking that out. How hard is it to convert over an existing project? I see that I have 8 frameworks currently in my solution.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 24, 2013

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Doh004 posted:

The next time I start one I will definitely be checking that out. How hard is it to convert over an existing project? I see that I have 8 frameworks currently in my solution.
Probably not very difficult if all your deps have podspecs, you have your deps well segregated, and aren't already using a xcworkspace.

My main complaint about CocoaPods is that it's still pre-1.0 and acts like it, so if you don't pin to a specific version you'll occasionally have things break from new releases and suddenly you're dicking around with Gemfiles and bundler for your iOS app (which isn't a big deal at all for people who use Ruby anyway, but for those that don't it's yet another thing to learn). I still wouldn't even consider not using it for a new project, though.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
Sometimes I wonder if my son (5 months old) will be into software like I was; how exciting to be able to write an app that your friends can run on their phones, or even sell it and make some money.

Then I wonder if he'll still be loving about with header files, dumping everything into a single global namespace, and all the rest of the C tool chain bullshit in 10-20 years. Then I get depressed :smith:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ender.uNF posted:

Sometimes I wonder if my son (5 months old) will be into software like I was; how exciting to be able to write an app that your friends can run on their phones, or even sell it and make some money.

Then I wonder if he'll still be loving about with header files, dumping everything into a single global namespace, and all the rest of the C tool chain bullshit in 10-20 years. Then I get depressed :smith:

Well, he could always learn to make Android apps. Java deals with a lot of bullshit C problems while introducing a number of its own.

I'm surprised no one's jumped on Python as the main development language for mobile apps. Yeah, bytecode can be slow, but on the other hand: Android uses Java.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

PT6A posted:

I'm surprised no one's jumped on Python as the main development language for mobile apps. Yeah, bytecode can be slow, but on the other hand: Android uses Java.

And this, boys and girls, shows just how miserable of a failure Symbian is.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I didn't know that still existed.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Anyone has had to deal with undocumented error code -12985? it's thrown by CoreAudio when you attempt to restart an audio unit from background after an interruption... but only some times. Our application is a VoIP dialer, and it puts the call on hold when it receives an audio interruption - like, when you receive a voice call - and then resumes it when the interruption ends. Sometimes our application is put in background during the interruption, sometimes it isn't; sometimes it can restart the audio unit when it's in background, and sometimes it can't; when it can't, it won't stream audio anymore, and the server will automatically close the call for RTP inactivity after 10 seconds. This issue is confirmed by several mailing list posts describing pretty much an identical scenario, but nobody could offer a solution. Any idea?

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Aw, don't hate on poor Symbian, it's a product of another era

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Plorkyeran posted:

Probably not very difficult if all your deps have podspecs, you have your deps well segregated, and aren't already using a xcworkspace.

My main complaint about CocoaPods is that it's still pre-1.0 and acts like it, so if you don't pin to a specific version you'll occasionally have things break from new releases and suddenly you're dicking around with Gemfiles and bundler for your iOS app (which isn't a big deal at all for people who use Ruby anyway, but for those that don't it's yet another thing to learn). I still wouldn't even consider not using it for a new project, though.

Yeah when I was evaluating it I realized that it automatically upgrading would probably become a problem so I pinned everything to the version they were at when I started putting things together. The big problem I see now is that it isn't very apparent when libraries have updated if you pin the versions you're using. I haven't checked 0.20 for this feature, though.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

vapid cutlery posted:

Yeah when I was evaluating it I realized that it automatically upgrading would probably become a problem so I pinned everything to the version they were at when I started putting things together. The big problem I see now is that it isn't very apparent when libraries have updated if you pin the versions you're using. I haven't checked 0.20 for this feature, though.
The approach I've been taking is to not put version numbers in the Podfile (or major only) and commit Podfile.lock, then whenever I feel like pulling in updated versions of dependencies just delete Podfile.lock, rerun pod install, and commit the result after verifying that everything still works.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Plorkyeran posted:

The approach I've been taking is to not put version numbers in the Podfile (or major only) and commit Podfile.lock, then whenever I feel like pulling in updated versions of dependencies just delete Podfile.lock, rerun pod install, and commit the result after verifying that everything still works.

I actually commit the pods along with the podfile and lock. No reason not to, IMO. Easiest to reproduce the build on machines where CocoaPods is not installed (that's how I was able to migrate a codebase to use it which was previously a huge mess).

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

hackbunny posted:

Anyone has had to deal with undocumented error code -12985? it's thrown by CoreAudio when you attempt to restart an audio unit from background after an interruption... but only some times. Our application is a VoIP dialer, and it puts the call on hold when it receives an audio interruption - like, when you receive a voice call - and then resumes it when the interruption ends. Sometimes our application is put in background during the interruption, sometimes it isn't; sometimes it can restart the audio unit when it's in background, and sometimes it can't; when it can't, it won't stream audio anymore, and the server will automatically close the call for RTP inactivity after 10 seconds. This issue is confirmed by several mailing list posts describing pretty much an identical scenario, but nobody could offer a solution. Any idea?

Aw, don't hate on poor Symbian, it's a product of another era

I can't recall that specific error but I have noticed that my audio session gets killed or has its settings reset when resuming from background. Now I always go through and re-initialize all of the settings when resuming and it seems to have solved the problem.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Our TeamCity machine can't even build with CocoaPods and the HockeyApp (PLCrashReporter). We even tried a brand new project with just the pod in it and the same error of not being able to find <CrashReporter/CrashReporter.h>.

:(

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

I thought I hit on a solution to my Collection View Controller woes by using this subclass override of UICollectionViewFlowLayout, but it dumps my section header out of IB and won't let me throw one in. I guess I have to implement it from scratch, but it seems weird that using a 'custom' layout that is the same as the Flow layout would boot the header from IB.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I actually commit the pods along with the podfile and lock. No reason not to, IMO. Easiest to reproduce the build on machines where CocoaPods is not installed (that's how I was able to migrate a codebase to use it which was previously a huge mess).

It can make your repository huge and everything a lot slower (although you can partially mitigate that by adding Pods to .gitignore and force-adding it). I do agree that it's usually the right choice, though.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

Our TeamCity machine can't even build with CocoaPods and the HockeyApp (PLCrashReporter). We even tried a brand new project with just the pod in it and the same error of not being able to find <CrashReporter/CrashReporter.h>.

:(

SON OF A BITCH

Turns out TeamCity cannot check out symlinks correctly from Git in server-side mode, only agent checkout mode. It couldn't find the .h files because they weren't being checked out! :argh:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

AHHHH why didn't I just change the Class of the existing flow layout god drat 4 hours wasted and I think I'm actually dumber now.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Are there any rejection risks doing this?

code:
//Setup an observer with name:nil to get everything
[[NSNotificationCenter defaultCenter] addObserver:self selector:@selector(notificationHandler:) name:nil object:nil];

//Look for a specific notification I can't seem to find a contant for
- (void)notificationHandler:(NSNotification *)notification
{
    if ([[notification name] isEqualToString:@"UIViewAnimationDidStopNotification"]  ) 
    { 
      //do stuff
    }
}
I'm helping with an AIR iOS app and it seems like more time goes into working around AIR's nuttiness than actual coding new features. In this case, when the iOS Native Camera resigns it shifts the UIView the AIR app below the statusbar regardless of UIStatusBarType or the fact that the app was beneath the status bar before the camera was fired. It's even more obnoxious when the double-high statusbar for phone calls is up. Anyways, the code below handles it and I think I'm in the clear AppStore-wise (just a risk that the notification name will change in the future), but I wanted to make sure.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

Campbell posted:

Are there any rejection risks doing this?

code:
//Setup an observer with name:nil to get everything
[[NSNotificationCenter defaultCenter] addObserver:self selector:@selector(notificationHandler:) name:nil object:nil];

//Look for a specific notification I can't seem to find a contant for
- (void)notificationHandler:(NSNotification *)notification
{
    if ([[notification name] isEqualToString:@"UIViewAnimationDidStopNotification"]  ) 
    { 
      //do stuff
    }
}
I'm helping with an AIR iOS app and it seems like more time goes into working around AIR's nuttiness than actual coding new features. In this case, when the iOS Native Camera resigns it shifts the UIView the AIR app below the statusbar regardless of UIStatusBarType or the fact that the app was beneath the status bar before the camera was fired. It's even more obnoxious when the double-high statusbar for phone calls is up. Anyways, the code below handles it and I think I'm in the clear AppStore-wise (just a risk that the notification name will change in the future), but I wanted to make sure.

I have used undocumented view controller life cycle change notifications in an app that has been through a full submission and multiple updates without a problem. Of course, YMMV and it might break after an OS update.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
Sorry to double post but does anyone here have first-hand impressions of ReactiveCocoa? I'm considering using it in a project because it seems like it'd be really nice for the kinds of things I'm going to have to do.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

I used it for a toy app recently, and I'd be inclined to use it again on something larger. The documentation isn't great, and creating signals is way more convoluted than it should be (not in that there's dumb boilerplate, but that it's such a core thing to do that making it trivial to create signals should have been a core design goal). I've definitely become a fan of FRP, though. It makes a lot of common things absurdly simpler, and saves you from callback hell when writing async code. The documentation is mitigated somewhat by the fact that the source is pretty reasonable and well organized - it does have good high-level docs, and for a detailed reference it's easy enough to just look at the implementation.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Sadness coming from the collection view front. I've been getting a crash when inserting, deleting, and moving cells. I get an assertion error *** Assertion failure in -[UICollectionViewData indexPathForItemAtGlobalIndex:] where it checks the header's index as if it's a cell. Turns out this is a known bug: http://openradar.appspot.com/12954582

quote:

The problem turns out to be that when a UICollectionView has decoration views (in your case a section header) this can cause the UICollectionView to crash during updates. One workaround to this problem would be to remove the section header from your UI.

Okay, that's kind of rough. Section headers are kind of an important UI element in my view:

But I guess it's time to kick them to the curb and drop my own views in there.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

And since I can't figure out how to track section size, it looks like I'll have to have multiple single section collection views strung down along a containing scrollview. It seems like a such a weird thing to do.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Did you bail on writing your own layout class? That's sounding more and more like the right choice.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

pokeyman posted:

Did you bail on writing your own layout class? That's sounding more and more like the right choice.

I subclassed the flow layout. The only methods I overrode were layoutAttributesForElementsInRect: and layoutAttributesForItemAtIndexPath:. I couldn't find a layout solution to the assertion failure problem, so I don't know what more to do.

But if there was a point where I could jack in to report back section frames (and then manage the layout of my own 'headers'), that would just about do it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

So maybe it's time to subclass the generic layout and reimplement half of the flow layout?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

pokeyman posted:

So maybe it's time to subclass the generic layout and reimplement half of the flow layout?

Probably, but I'm chickening out. You can ask the layout for cell frames, so by checking the last cell frame in each section I can move my 'headers' around. Working pretty well:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Nice! What are you using to make the gifs?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

pokeyman posted:

Nice! What are you using to make the gifs?

QuickTime Player screen recording and Photoshop.

edit: be warned, though, the capture frame rate varies a lot, so it's tough to get the speed right. And the gifs are huge.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
I've encountered an issue I haven't found much information on. I'm creating an iOS ap for some friends' music festival, and I decided to do a native web app to speed up the development process. I was going try forcing landscape orientation, to see how it'd look, but when I create a 100% width div it's actually only as wide as the height(so, I'm guessing it thinks it's in portrait). Printing out the screen's width to the console verifies this. Is there some strange voodoo I need to counteract? The app is definitely set to use only the landscape orientations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

xpander posted:

I've encountered an issue I haven't found much information on. I'm creating an iOS ap for some friends' music festival, and I decided to do a native web app to speed up the development process. I was going try forcing landscape orientation, to see how it'd look, but when I create a 100% width div it's actually only as wide as the height(so, I'm guessing it thinks it's in portrait). Printing out the screen's width to the console verifies this. Is there some strange voodoo I need to counteract? The app is definitely set to use only the landscape orientations.

Are you checking against the frame or the bounds of the view? Bounds is what you want to look at to determine the view's dimensions as they are in rotation.

Sorry to spam the thread with UICollectionView oddities, but I can't crush this animation oddity. Cells disappear passed the bottom of the view. The first time they reappear they will do so gracefully, with the expected animation coming from off-screen. All subsequent re-entries will produce a second, fixed image of the cell while it also animates into view.

Watch for the incoming cells. The first time (good):
http://i.imgur.com/3NhepMB.gif

All subsequent times (bad):
http://i.imgur.com/23QP4T1.gif

I've done this even without my subviews, and the same thing happens (the cell appears twice on re-entry, one animated and one not).

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

lord funk posted:

Are you checking against the frame or the bounds of the view? Bounds is what you want to look at to determine the view's dimensions as they are in rotation.

Originally I was checking against the frame, but I just tested against the bounds and the width is still reporting as 768.

One thing I did notice - my testing device is an iPad 2. I left it upstairs and was too lazy to go get it, so I tried using the sim and noticed that when it launches it is in portrait. Once it finishes loading it switches to landscape. I suspected maybe it somehow launched apps in portait and then checks the app's orientation constraints or something. I don't know if this really proves it though. And more importantly, I still don't know what to do about it. :(

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
You can set the allowed orientations right there in Xcode. If you disable the portrait orientations, it will launch in landscape.

edit: your app will launch in landscape. the simulator seems to always launch in portrait, but that shouldn't affect anything.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
Sorry, I should have clarified that the allowed orientations were set to landscape only. The app never rotates into portrait.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Have any of you guys heard of or used Beeblex to do your IAP receipt validation for you? I'm really not too keen on having to buy and set up my own validation server, and this seems like it would save me a lot of time.

Kind of seems to good to be true, though. Especially with them having not updated their SDK since before the iPhone 5 came out.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 28, 2013

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Awesome, our Jenkins iOS builds have all started failing at random places with no useful information at all unless someone runs fuxcode on the Jenkins box for every build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Update:

hackbunny posted:

I fixed this. To start audio from the background, you have to register to receive remote control events, using something to the effect of [[UIApplication sharedApplication] beginReceivingRemoteControlEvents]. No, you won't actually receive remote control events related to audio, but it's necessary to do audio stuff from the background. So, the lesson is, if you've been getting error -12985, just stick [[UIApplication sharedApplication] beginReceivingRemoteControlEvents] somewhere and call it a day. And [self becomeFirstResponder] on the view controller (don't forget to override canBecomeFirstResponder!). Do it in viewWillAppear or viewDidAppear, whichever actually fires for you, I have no idea. Don't forget to undo it in viewWillDisappear, I guess

We've gone full circle from Windows 3.11 and we're back to tying all sorts of unrelated poo poo to the UI state and message loop. iOS, I kind of hate you already, I can tell it's the start of a great friendship