Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Genpei Turtle posted:

Eh, I don't think it's that bad. So far I don't think it's significantly harder than, say, Nocturne. Though it will murder you until you figure out the system. I was getting slaughtered in nearly every battle early on when I only had 1 ally, but once I figured out that there wasn't any sort of alignment mechanic and I could recruit traditionally "Dark" demons suddenly the game became way easier.

Oh, I wasn't even talking about the battle system :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

El Belmondo posted:

:shepface: Gonna enjoy this poo poo. Cannot wait for June.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

El Belmondo posted:

:stare: So the dungeons are a pain?

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Booky posted:

:stare: So the dungeons are a pain?

From what I've seen, even the first dungeon has poison floors I believe, and once you arrive in Tokyo, there's even poison tiles on the world map, along with enemies there too. One Japanese player did an optional dungeon in Tokyo I believe, and encountered Erlkonig as a boss at level 70 something, casting Maziodyne and Arrow Rain and killing the player in 1 round.

And that's not even the story stuff. :getin:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I've been out of it a while. I really enjoyed Nocturne. However the difficulty doomed me from ever finishing it. Would Soul Hackers fill that craving or wait for SMT 4? Is there going to be another "Nocturne" type game on the major consoles any time soon? Nocturne was just amazing.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Philthy posted:

I've been out of it a while. I really enjoyed Nocturne. However the difficulty doomed me from ever finishing it. Would Soul Hackers fill that craving or wait for SMT 4? Is there going to be another "Nocturne" type game on the major consoles any time soon? Nocturne was just amazing.

I probably like Soul Hackers more than Nocturne, but if you want a new Nocturne, wait for 4. At least gameplay-wise 4 is very similar.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Neo Rasa posted:

This is fine with the older SMT games. The games are less about the demons than they are your characters. The Magnetite is part of that too. It's easy to grind for more but I usually wouldn't even roll with a full house (especially in SMTI and II as an example). What I usually do is dungeon crawl with just the main characters and maybe one or two more demons at most to fill in any weaknesses, then right before the boss I bring out a full complement of guys. The demons are much more expendable here than in later games, you should be burning through them, fusing them with the COMP and recruiting more very often. Like every few battles even just recruit a weak demon to fuse him with someone else and see what happens.

Incidentally, all of this is why the Zoma in Soul Hackers is better than it looks: you can level it up by feeding it high-level demons that you don't plan to use (especially Dark ones, which have high MAG costs and are often difficult to fuse into anything else useful), and it has no MAG cost of its own to summon or keep in your party so it's basically a free third character. As long as you can keep even one or two good skills on it, it's a valuable ally.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

El Belmondo posted:

From what I've seen, even the first dungeon has poison floors I believe, and once you arrive in Tokyo, there's even poison tiles on the world map, along with enemies there too. One Japanese player did an optional dungeon in Tokyo I believe, and encountered Erlkonig as a boss at level 70 something, casting Maziodyne and Arrow Rain and killing the player in 1 round.

And that's not even the story stuff. :getin:

Jesus, that sounds intense. :stare: Like, Nocturne levels of intense.

Also, apparently at some point :siren:(SMT4 story spoilers):siren: Issachar gets turned into a demon by the Black Samurai and you have to beat him to death. :( (Video here). Also that face. :stonk:

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Booky posted:

:siren:(SMT4 story spoilers):siren:

Yeah, absolutely don't watch that if you're trying to stay fresh, especially if you've never played an SMT game before.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

El Belmondo posted:

Yeah, absolutely don't watch that if you're trying to stay fresh, especially if you've never played an SMT game before.

Yeah, if anyone wants to start SMT4 clean, don't watch the video. It's pretty big stuff, and it would suck to be spoiled like 2 months before it's released here.

On non-spoilery things, the VAs for that new English trailer seem pretty good so far. :)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hi, Laura Bailey. Also, I recognize the I WILL BECOME A SAMURAI voice from somewhere, but can't put my finger on it. I think it's Steve from Catherine, but I'm not sure. Oh yeah and Kyle Hebert as the loud guy, but that's the most obvious one.

EDIT:

El Belmondo posted:

I kept hearing Margaret in Burroughs' voice, but I suppose that's inevitable. I hope they get a wide range of actors, because 4 has a LOT of voices.

Guess what's not happening?

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 23, 2013

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Booky posted:

Yeah, if anyone wants to start SMT4 clean, don't watch the video. It's pretty big stuff, and it would suck to be spoiled like 2 months before it's released here.

On non-spoilery things, the VAs for that new English trailer seem pretty good so far. :)

I kept hearing Margaret in Burroughs' voice, but I suppose that's inevitable. I hope they get a wide range of actors, because 4 has a LOT of voices.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Hi, Laura Bailey.

Laura Bailey can at least sound different from two roles unlike some people I could name, so any overuse of her isn't that terrible.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cityinthesea posted:

Laura Bailey can at least sound different from two roles unlike some people I could name, so any overuse of her isn't that terrible.

Oh no, she's a good voice actor, I'm not complaining. She is however the most commonly used female VA out there today, somehow beating Jennifer Hale. It's especially noticeable since she voices a lot of main characters and it's even more noticeable that she's constantly voicing characters who have some connection to Troy Baker's character, who is no doubt in this game too.

It's more like I'm playing "Can you spot Laura Bailey in this game's trailers?" And I did it, and won.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It's more like I'm playing "Can you spot Laura Bailey in this game's trailers?" And I did it, and won.

It's a fun pastime. Is there a bingo sheet?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Sorry if I missed it, but are there additional difficulties to SMTIV? People talking about how difficult it is makes me feel like I want to start on a harder setting for shits and giggles.

Also, how many spell slots does the MC have?
I saw on the 10 minute Japanese video that the MC's friends jump in for assists.. are those completely random?

edit: I avoided that one video above due to spoiler warnings so sorry if it's covered there.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Sorry if I missed it, but are there additional difficulties to SMTIV? People talking about how difficult it is makes me feel like I want to start on a harder setting for shits and giggles.

Also, how many spell slots does the MC have?
I saw on the 10 minute Japanese video that the MC's friends jump in for assists.. are those completely random?

edit: I avoided that one video above due to spoiler warnings so sorry if it's covered there.

Only Normal and easy. Hard mode is unlocked and is NG+ only, I believe.
I think the spell slots increase with levels or maybe Applications, and your buddies jump in at random to attack/buff/heal.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Hi, Laura Bailey. Also, I recognize the I WILL BECOME A SAMURAI voice from somewhere, but can't put my finger on it. I think it's Steve from Catherine, but I'm not sure. Oh yeah and Kyle Hebert as the loud guy, but that's the most obvious one.
It almost sounds like Yuri Lowenthal trying to be super-serious and/or hiding his usual voice characteristics. Sounds bizarrely forced, to be honest.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
As long as SMT4 is totally focused on fusing a team of (broken, overpowered, ridiculous) demons and has Nocturne's press turn system it's a day one purchase. It's probably been discussed somewhere in this thread and I'm a terrible person for being so lazy, but can someone give a brief summary of fusion? Is it P4G? Strange Journey? New?

Philthy posted:

I've been out of it a while. I really enjoyed Nocturne. However the difficulty doomed me from ever finishing it.

Nocturne was super enjoyable for me and I never got why people said it was so horribly difficult. I guess maybe if it's your first SMT game and you're going in completely blind and you're refusing to look at any sort of guide or demon chart... yeah, that would suck. Is it just that the game is "inaccessible" and people die once to Matador before abandoning it?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Given that the character in question is voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro in the Japanese version, the casting is not inappropriate.

Seriously, I feel like that woman has been in every video game I played this past year.

Dec 26, 2012

Mailer posted:

Nocturne was super enjoyable for me and I never got why people said it was so horribly difficult. I guess maybe if it's your first SMT game and you're going in completely blind and you're refusing to look at any sort of guide or demon chart... yeah, that would suck. Is it just that the game is "inaccessible" and people die once to Matador before abandoning it?

It mostly got its reputation relative to other JRPGs. If you're used to games where you can just breeze through with no effort then it's going to seem monstrously difficult, especially with the prevalence of death/expel abilities.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Mailer posted:

I actually started playing Nocturne around the beginning of the month, and it's the first proper SMT game I've played. Not using a guide or anything, but I did hear everybody mention that Matador was the first really difficult obstacle in the game. I managed to beat him on the second try by having realizing he used force spells a lot during my first loss, and then just having myself and another demon void them. I actually had more trouble fighting Dante than I did any other boss thus far, and that's only because the RNG decided that I needed to be confused all the time. I've been playing the game as though it were Pokémon I guess, paying attention to what bosses do so if I die I'll know what to go up against.

So yeah, it's my first SMT game and I'm finding it kinda hard, but not as hard as others have made it out to be. To be fair, I'm used to really old RPGs that are hard for completely different reasons (archaic, sometimes terrible gameplay mechanics).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really wish Nocturne emulated better. I have a physical copy but my PS2 crapped out on me. :smith: I just want to play it again.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Seemed to emulate fine when I tried it a few months ago. There's a couple wonky shadow bugs and it runs at 2/3 speed on my lovely ancient box but it was otherwise doing pretty good.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ImpAtom posted:

I really wish Nocturne emulated better. I have a physical copy but my PS2 crapped out on me. :smith: I just want to play it again.

Only issue I had with nocturne was the shadows being on the wrong layer. They're on top of the character instead of behind him. 99% of the time this just meant you wouldn't see the demi-fiend's feet. There was that one time when you first meet thor and isamu has his magetsuhi drained. As he is tossed aside and crumples into a heap his shadow covers the character model completely and it looks like he disappeared. Was kinda funny, actually.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

ImpAtom posted:

I mentioned this earlier and then was slack and never followed it up - Nocturne emulates pretty awesome. Here's the big bug:

I never even saw it until this thread pointed it out and I specifically took a screenshot to show it.

Edit: Holy poo poo. I just alt-tabbed back into pcsx to close it after taking that and learned that Demifiend blinks.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 24, 2013

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

orenronen posted:

Given that the character in question is voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro in the Japanese version, the casting is not inappropriate.

Seriously, I feel like that woman has been in every video game I played this past year.

Although she's been overdoing her "tough voice" as of late, I'm cool with her being everywhere as long as she does Jolyne Kujo justice. :allears:

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It's especially noticeable since she voices a lot of main characters and it's even more noticeable that she's constantly voicing characters who have some connection to Troy Baker's character, who is no doubt in this game too.

I was really caught off guard when, after finishing Persona 4 Golden and Catherine back to back, I started co-oping through Saints Row 3 with a buddy and got MORE Baker / Bailey action.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Bailey's in Fire Emblem Awakening too. :shepface:

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Bailey's in Fire Emblem Awakening too. :shepface:

So is Miyuki Sawashiro.

I'm a few hours into SMT4 now, and enjoying it quite a bit. This is my first numbered SMT game, and the rumors about the difficulty level weren't exaggerated.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

orenronen posted:

So is Miyuki Sawashiro.

I'm a few hours into SMT4 now, and enjoying it quite a bit. This is my first numbered SMT game, and the rumors about the difficulty level weren't exaggerated.

The difficulty level drops off really quickly. I'm about 9 hours in and it's gotten to the point where only bosses pose any real threat unless I'm being especially careless. Most fights can be autobattled without too much trouble, though certain demons seem to be particularly fragile. Might change later though.

Definitely a good game though, I'm loving all the little touches and extra polish. Like being able to drop a boss' stats mid-fight by smack-talking them effectively and lowering their resolve.

Ed: didn't see an answer to the previous question-both the MC and demons have a variable number of spell slots. You start with like 4 and can buy more.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 24, 2013

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
So, without too much detail, whats the optimal build looking like? Mag for blowing people up? Or Str because you are a soohmurai and you use your sword for justice and poo poo.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is it cheating to give Jungo Assassinate and Marksman in DS2? It sure feels like it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nate RFB posted:

Is it cheating to give Jungo Assassinate and Marksman in DS2? It sure feels like it.

Nothing is cheating in that game, nothing.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Nate RFB posted:

I would argue that it is a little unfair because it gimps you of some exp that you could have gained.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Nate RFB posted:

No. The enemy just needs to step up its game to deal with your pro Forever Fist strategy.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I'm in the observatory in Soul Hackers and the game is really easy so far. Should I give it some more time for the difficulty curve to kick in or should I just go ahead and bump it up to hard? I want to stick with hard if I switch to it, but if the game is still taking it easy on me then I want to wait it out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DeathBySpoon posted:

I'm in the observatory in Soul Hackers and the game is really easy so far. Should I give it some more time for the difficulty curve to kick in or should I just go ahead and bump it up to hard? I want to stick with hard if I switch to it, but if the game is still taking it easy on me then I want to wait it out.

It never really gets that hard. Nemissa hilariously trivializes most of the game.

Dec 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It never really gets that hard. Nemissa hilariously trivializes most of the game.

So far the only difficult part was the Finnegan mirror match if you decide to fight him summoner to summoner. It was also a really fun fight to figure out. From what I hear the endgame's a motherfucker though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

01011001 posted:

So far the only difficult part was the Finnegan mirror match if you decide to fight him summoner to summoner. It was also a really fun fight to figure out. From what I hear the endgame's a motherfucker though.

The bonus bosses are pretty challenging from what I hear, but I was able to beat the final boss after turning auto-battle on after only three turns.