Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

TOOT BOOT posted:

But that's not the whole story because ADWD took another 5+ years to come out.

The Meereeneese Knot was what got him stuck on ADWD. It would have been the same thing if they were both still combined into one book -- he'd be stuck on Dany's arc all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Just to chime in, I thought the interleaved order worked very well, structurally and thematically. Really seemed at times that they were part of one integrated work in the way that subjects and themes of a FFC chapter would be important and reflected in the next, ADWD, chapter.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
AFFC is actually a good read if you skip every Ironmen chapter and every Brienne chapter except for her last, which I've done on every reread. All of the other story arcs are interesting.

I'm halfway through ADWD right now. It's sad to say but I can see myself having to skip every Tyrion chapter on rereads of it. I don't know what happened there to make his story so boring in this book.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
As someone who just finished the AFFC/ADWD mix I think it works a hell of a lot better than the two books independantly.

One of the biggest problems I had with each book is that they felt super overwrote; the books were dominated by characters (Cersei/Brienne in AFFC, Daenerys/Tyrion in ADWD) who had fairly isolated and repetitive character arcs. Combining the two books together opens up a ton of breathing room, and I never thought 'Oh God, not this character, I just left them!' when I read the mix while I know for sure I felt that a ton when reading the books individually.

Also, the two books parallel really well. A ton of PoVs take on the burdens of leadership, or go on a long journey, or take on a false identity - the plot threads are different, but the thematic links are certainly there.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 24, 2013

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

AFFC is actually a good read if you skip every Ironmen chapter and every Brienne chapter except for her last, which I've done on every reread. All of the other story arcs are interesting.

I'm halfway through ADWD right now. It's sad to say but I can see myself having to skip every Tyrion chapter on rereads of it. I don't know what happened there to make his story so boring in this book.

This would be pretty moronic for someone on their first read-through though.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Aside from his last couple, Tyrion's chapters in ADWD are some of his best in the series (The trip down the Rhoyne and the Aegon reveal are AMAZING). It really only sours towards the end, but TWOW will make Tyrion overall great again.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

webmeister posted:

This would be pretty moronic for someone on their first read-through though.

I think someone could just read the summaries for those chapters on Tower of the Hand and not lose out on anything. This is how the Ironmen AFOC story should have been presented in the books - as a summary. Perhaps said in Asha's first chapter of ADWD. I see those chapters as a total waste of time.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I think someone could just read the summaries for those chapters on Tower of the Hand and not lose out on anything. This is how the Ironmen AFOC story should have been presented in the books - as a summary. Perhaps said in Asha's first chapter of ADWD. I see those chapters as a total waste of time.

I have found the Ironmen chapters featuring Victarion Greyjoy to be quite enjoyable as long as I play 80s metal while reading them.

Soylent Pudding fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 17, 2013

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
I sort of enjoyed the Kings Moot, it fleshed in the world of the Ironmen. I really liked all of Brienne's and Pod and friends merry travels. 90% of the entire series is pretty much a mismatched buddy/cop travel action-comedy.

AFFC is better upon re-reads.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Which are the Seven Kingdoms? Does that refer to the time of the First Men or the Andals?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Which are the Seven Kingdoms? Does that refer to the time of the First Men or the Andals?
The Seven are the North, the Vale, the Iron Islands, the Westerlands, the Reach, the Stormlands, and Dorne. The term refers to the seven independent kingdoms extant when Aegon the Conqueror first arrived in Westeros, so after the Andals had been established on the continent.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why isn't Kingdom of The Rock on that list? And what about the Riverlands?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 24, 2013

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

Why isn't Kingdom of The Rock on that list?
The Westerlands is the Kingdom of the Rock, or at least used to be known as such before Aegon arrived.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Baron Porkface posted:

Why isn't Kingdom of The Rock on that list? and what about the Riverlands?

Technically the Westerlands were known as the kingdom of the rock. The official names were, per the wiki:

The Kingdom of the North, the Kingdom of Vale and Sky, the Kingdom of the Isles and Rivers, Kingdom of the Rock, Kingdom of the Reach, Kingdom of the Stormlands and Dorne.

The Riverlands were held by the Iron Islanders (kingdom of the isles and rivers).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I've read GoT and ACoK. Is this thread safe for me to look at? I read the title but I'd swear I saw an unspoilered Book 2 detail in here once.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I've read GoT and ACoK. Is this thread safe for me to look at? I read the title but I'd swear I saw an unspoilered Book 2 detail in here once.

Why are you wasting time in here when you could be reading Storm of Swords?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Aside from his last couple, Tyrion's chapters in ADWD are some of his best in the series (The trip down the Rhoyne and the Aegon reveal are AMAZING). It really only sours towards the end, but TWOW will make Tyrion overall great again.

Tyrion's either going to die the most glorious or most embarrassing death out of any character in the series. He's too popular for GRRM not to kill him. The fact that GRRM likes him the most just makes the target even bigger.

Although I'll be rather surprised if (later book(s) spoilerish stuff) Cersei is killed by someone other than Jaime when it's time for her to die. The prophecy she was given mentions the Valonquar and while she and Jaime are twins, she was born first out of the two of them and so Jaime's technically her little brother. There's also rifts forming between them to the point that he gets her letter begging for help and just ignores her completely, essentially leaving her for dead.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Evil Fluffy posted:

Tyrion's either going to die the most glorious or most embarrassing death out of any character in the series. He's too popular for GRRM not to kill him. The fact that GRRM likes him the most just makes the target even bigger.

If he does it's not going to be until the end. It makes no narrative sense to kill them while killing Robb et all certainly did (it set up a new antagonist in the Freys and Robb was doomed ever since he married the one girl anyway).

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'd say no. Just the conversation on this page speaks of characters in the last book and no one bothered to put them in spoilers.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Just finished my reread of A Dance With Dragons. Some observations:

• Arya's chapters in this book are actually very good, and occasionally even touch on something profound (this also goes for Bran's third chapter). I don't know why I didn't enjoy her chapters the first time around.

• The best POV characters left at this point are, by some distance, Cersei, Barristan and Victarion. Their chapters are always, uniformly great and it is a good sign that two of the three (Barry and Vic) already seem to be getting a major focus in TWOW, going by the pre-released chapters from that book. With Victarion especially you can really tell that GRRM enjoys writing his chapters enormously, they give him a lot of new creative wind and inspiration.

• Out of the major three returning POV characters that were absent from AFFC, Tyrion's chapters are actually pretty decent and the best of the three. Dany's are very uneven and contain more bad material than good. And then there's Jon. Jon's storyline is the longest in the book with the most chapters devoted to it, and apart from some cool Mel/Stannis stuff in the beginning it is pretty much all terrible. At least four Jon chapters could/should have been cut out entirely and nothing of value or interest would have been lost. This storyline is where GRRM needed an editor the most. Though I can see Tormund Giantsbane becoming a fan favorite character on the show. He's pretty funny.

• The best single chapter in the book, a legitimate masterclass in action scene writing and tension building, is Theon and Jeyne's escape from Winterfell. A bloodcurdling masterpiece.

• Other standout chapters besides those already mentioned are Davos's third (Davos treating with Wyman Manderly, this chapter is a must-read followup to the Red Wedding), Cersei's (the fallout from her AFFC storyline) and Victarion's. Victarion is just a wonderful character all around. Book dumb yet streetwise (and sagely hedging his bets between two gods), does not get jokes yet is himself the funniest character of them all, the biggest serial killer in the book and yet you can't help but root for him somehow. Pick Vic, Dany!

• Cersei's penance walk is probably the hardest read in the book, and that is saying something considering some of the stuff Theon, Tyrion, etc. go through. So harrowing.

• Quentyn Martell is dead. Conspiracy theories about him surviving his wounds and secretly getting swooped off back to Dorne or something are pretty silly. However, his final POV chapter with him trying to subjugate Rhaegal and Viserion is going to make for spectacular television when it gets adapted on the show.

• Jon Snow probably isn't dead after all, or if he is, that death scene really was conspicuously tame and seemingly nonlethal. Warging into Wun Wun at the last minute is the most likely escape clause if he really did die, ahead of warging into Ghost or Melisandre saving him. The bigger mystery lingering after his final chapter is who really wrote Ramsay's letter to him (Ramsay himself, Stannis, Mance...).

• The book really picks up steam and gets a lot more exciting, varied and humorous about two-thirds through once the part of the narrative running parallel to AFFC is done and it can really become its own thing.

• Jaime's chapter was so loving pointless and unnecessary. All it does is introduce even more factions and characters that you really can't ask your readers to start caring about five thousand pages into your epic saga, George. Get a hold of yourself with this poo poo. Brienne's betrayal that gets lazily dropped at the end of the chapter is the only thing of significance and could easily have been done elsewhere or later.

• Please write an entire book about Sothoros (the mysterious third continent of the world besides Westeros and Essos) and all the hosed up, murderous animals that inhabit its swamps and jungles, George.

• The innumerable, neverending food descriptions (as well as those of clothing, weapons, house sigils, etc.) in this book really are unbelievably excessive and ridiculous.

• Selyse Baratheon is insufferable and deserves to be shot out of a cannon, or ripped apart by Wun Wun like her knight Ser Patrek.

Joramun fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 29, 2013

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

GRRM loves writing about people eating capons.

The funny thing is that a capon is just a normal chicken by modern standards. No one bothers making capons because they're already huge.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Don't forget other favorites like boiled leather and rushes.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

GRRM loves writing about people eating capons.

The funny thing is that a capon is just a normal chicken by modern standards. No one bothers making capons because they're already huge.
They also like to sup and break their fast on neeps and lamprey pie.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I have devoured this series after picking it up recently. I am just starting dance with dragons and there is one small detail that has bugged me over the course of what I have read so far HOW IS SAMWELL STILL SO GODDAMNED FAT? Seriously, the guy is sent to the wall where the food can't be great, he gets sent out beyond the wall and all that involved and hes done so much stuff that by all rights the dude shouldn't be this big blumpkin of a human being still but apparently he is still huge. Sam why are you so fat?!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
He's not though, didn't you notice how his swordbelt keeps falling off in Braavos? Clearly he's been losing some weight. .

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I always assumed Sam was never as fat as he's described. There's just less overweight people in such a lovely place like Westeros so he's really out of place.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I had not actually noticed that no. I guess the depiction they have of him in the HBO series is stuck in my head because he is fairly large in that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's a point in AFFC where Sam straight up says I've lost weight, if the hints about his clothing don't give that away.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Don't forget other favorites like boiled leather and rushes.

Speaking of, what the hell are rushes anyway? Some kind of floor covering I imagine but I can't figure it out any closer than that.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Basically long-stemmed plant material that was used as insulation on the floor and to keep your home from stinking up too badly. Once it got dirty, you could just sweep it out and put new material in.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I think that some places in the US used to use sawdust/wood shavings in the same way - bars and butchers? If you are looking for a mental image, it would be comparable to spreading a hale bale around in the room, I think.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Personperson14 posted:

I always assumed Sam was never as fat as he's described. There's just less overweight people in such a lovely place like Westeros so he's really out of place.

There's various overweight people mentioned in ASOIAF but they're almost all nobles, merchants, or other well-off types that can afford to stuff themselves instead of working. Robert Baratheon is the shining example of this because it's even mentioned how when he became king he was basically built like a brick shithouse and while king he just lets himself go.

Off the top of my head you've got Varys, the Magister guy in Pentos, Manderly, Fat Walda...etc. All of whom, like Sam, are nobles or hold a position of power and influence.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Off the top of my head you've got Varys, the Magister guy in Pentos, Manderly, Fat Walda...etc. All of whom, like Sam, are nobles or hold a position of power and influence.

To be fair Varys still gets a ton of poo poo done even with his weight. Silently running and climbing behind walls, crossbowing the gently caress out of dudes, that weight is not slowing him down.

But yeah there are definitely a fair number of fat people, and the attitude towards them is tinged with a bit of a modern sensibility. At the time some people might have seen a lot of fat as a sign of weakness or decadence, but a lot more people would straight up admire it because it was an indicator of how wealthy and successful you were. We never see anyone hold that second opinion because these days we hate fat people.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

cafel posted:

To be fair [spoiler]Varys still gets a ton of poo poo done even with his weight. Silently running and climbing behind walls, At the time some people might have seen a lot of fat as a sign of weakness or decadence, but a lot more people would straight up admire it because it was an indicator of how wealthy and successful you were. We never see anyone hold that second opinion because these days we hate fat people.

This is still true in poorer parts of the world. Had a 350lbs+ friend go to Romania about six or seven years ago and women were almost literally throwing themselves at him because they thought he must be a rich American businessman (instead of broke rear end American grad student).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

^^^ You broke the spoiler tag in your quote.

cafel posted:

To be fair Varys still gets a ton of poo poo done even with his weight. Silently running and climbing behind walls, crossbowing the gently caress out of dudes, that weight is not slowing him down.

But yeah there are definitely a fair number of fat people, and the attitude towards them is tinged with a bit of a modern sensibility. At the time some people might have seen a lot of fat as a sign of weakness or decadence, but a lot more people would straight up admire it because it was an indicator of how wealthy and successful you were. We never see anyone hold that second opinion because these days we hate fat people.

If it wasn't for the part where he tells Tyrion about what happened to him as a kid that resulted in him being a eunuch, and how he mentions having a fear/hatred of magic, I'd have wondered if Varys was a Faceless Man or was being trained by them at one point but left for some reason. The way they describe his disguises is almost more than a matter of just being extremely good with makeup, costume, and acting. His past as a thief also would imply that while he's fat it's not that he's a lazy fat like Robert/Sam/Manderly but that it's more a matter of them not having a life that is demanding to the point of it keeping them slim while those other 3 were/are just lazy and got fat from it.

But having been in the free cities it's always possible he can simply be quiet as a shadow and regardless of his weight gain his years of experience keep him as capable as ever.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm about halfway through Feast, and I've just got to say I'm surprised that I really, really like it. Thanks, I guess, for lowering my expectations, but I really don't see how anyone can call it the worst book in the series. I get that it doesn't really have the :asoiaf: moments from the previous books, but I absolutely love all of the characters it focuses on, the pacing is better, the prose is just plain nice to read, and aside from the glaring lack of Tyrion it may be my favorite book so far. Maybe I just have a soft spot for Brienne. Maybe I'm just really digging Cersei's slow descent into madness. Maybe I'm just not plagued by the endless wait between books. It's weird because usually I don't like character-focused stories without a really strong plot to go with them, but I think because I've gone into it with the perspective of a small part of a greater narrative, it's more like the welcome breathing room after a shitstorm.

I'm not sure I'll like Dance as much, though, if it's anything like Feast. Except for Tyrion I don't find the characters I assume will be the focus of that book half as interesting. loving Jon Snow can die in a fire. I kind of regret not doing that two-book chronological chapter order, but I was worried that would screw up the pacing and mess with chapter transitions. Oh well. Low expectations yielded great results for this book, so why not the next?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
The chronological order of Feast/Dance actually preserves pacing and all reveals happen as they naturally would have were the books just one instead of two.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I liked both AFFC and ADWD and I read them in order. I actually liked ADWD a lot, probably more than the first two books. I think it's easier to stomach when you don't have to wait several years in between books four and five.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

The chronological order of Feast/Dance actually preserves pacing and all reveals happen as they naturally would have were the books just one instead of two.

If you read AFFC and ADWD together I think it spoils that Davos isn't actually executed, some other condemned person is beheaded and given a stubby hand so that he can appear to be dead and be sent off to find Rickon because having the reality of the situation come up right afterward seems to lessen the whole thing.

My biggest problem with AFFC was the characters for the most part. Most of the ones I wanted to read up on were in ADWD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
Anyone happen to know where I can get a relatively cheap box set of ASOIF Hardcover?

• Locked thread