Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

bigpolar posted:

And we are still some undetermined amount of time away from the nextel deactivation, and no guarantee that LTE will move to that frequency anyway.
39 days 9hrs 55min

And yes, LTE will be put on that frequency. Sprint even just offically announced a few devices that support LTE in 850SMR. And the new SGS4 will be coming later on too.

td4guy fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Hey Sprint people who got kicked off sprint for roaming, how long did it take to go into effect after the 3rd month?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Hey Sprint people who got kicked off sprint for roaming, how long did it take to go into effect after the 3rd month?
The letter from the Roaming Compliance department was dated 4-5 days after my third bill with lots of Netflix streaming. They gave almost a full month until the end of that billing cycle to make arrangement to port before they would cancel the line.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
edit: wrong thread

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Duckman2008 posted:

I will have a look. I want to say a week or two after the end of the billing cycle.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Is Sprint cool with giving out Airraves for lovely home connections? Is there a preferred number to call?

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

Is Sprint cool with giving out Airraves for lovely home connections? Is there a preferred number to call?

I sent an email to dan@sprint.com 3-ish years ago. Got a free airrave (the lovely 1x/voice only one). Still doesn't fix the fact that the service is poo poo here re: data.

They also claimed it would be free for 2 years. Going on 3+ now with no charge to me.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Tedronai66 posted:

I sent an email to dan@sprint.com 3-ish years ago. Got a free airrave (the lovely 1x/voice only one). Still doesn't fix the fact that the service is poo poo here re: data.

They also claimed it would be free for 2 years. Going on 3+ now with no charge to me.

Related question. I have had an Airrave for about 2 1/2 years, never been charged for it.

We are porting out to Ting this month.

Is sprint going to want the Airrave back, or can I use it on Ting?

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

The Entire Universe posted:

I will have a look. I want to say a week or two after the end of the billing cycle.

How's your ETF situation going? I'm curious because I'm also roaming. Nothing insanely excessive but I'm trying to not be on Sprint's lovely network anymore.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lowen SoDium posted:

Related question. I have had an Airrave for about 2 1/2 years, never been charged for it.

We are porting out to Ting this month.

Is sprint going to want the Airrave back, or can I use it on Ting?

Yes, you will have to return it or pay for it.

I was always told only sprint phones will work with an Airrave, and anything from Boost, VM, other resellers, won't work.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Duckman2008 posted:

Yes, you will have to return it or pay for it.

I was always told only sprint phones will work with an Airrave, and anything from Boost, VM, other resellers, won't work.

I already ported my phone and my Wife's phone (still have 3 more to move in a couple weeks) and they are connected to the Airrave right now.

Ting Sells the same Airrave on their site, so I know it's possible to still use it. I just didn't know if I had to pay for it or not.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

At the moment I have an Evo 3d. I'm up for an upgrade though and I'm wondering if I should get a Note 2, a HTC One or wait for the Note 3? I use my phone to browse the internet and watch videos, play music with one of them Lil external speakers, so I like the giant screen of the Notes, and the front speakers of the One. I love my Evo 3d, and I'm really going to miss the 3d bit, but its screen is smaller than I'd like at this point, and the speaker has always been way too quiet.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

RodShaft posted:

At the moment I have an Evo 3d. I'm up for an upgrade though and I'm wondering if I should get a Note 2, a HTC One or wait for the Note 3? I use my phone to browse the internet and watch videos, play music with one of them Lil external speakers, so I like the giant screen of the Notes, and the front speakers of the One. I love my Evo 3d, and I'm really going to miss the 3d bit, but its screen is smaller than I'd like at this point, and the speaker has always been way too quiet.

I am in the exact same boat as you and decided to just keep the 3D till the note 3 comes out... The Note 2 has been out for a while, and knowing that the Note 3 will be out this year I just decided to wait it out.. I do agree about the speaker, trying to watch or listen to anything outside with any type of noise you can't hear naything.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

RodShaft posted:

Gs4 is a possibility too, the speaker is way louder than a 3d.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

averox posted:

How's your ETF situation going? I'm curious because I'm also roaming. Nothing insanely excessive but I'm trying to not be on Sprint's lovely network anymore.

I haven't checked on it but I haven't received any 'hey pay us' emails. Taking it on faith that it's cleared up since I don't want to go and check it only to find it outstanding and have to resist using some poor CS op as a conduit for my vented rage against the company's incompetence.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

RodShaft posted:

If you loved your E3D, get the One. Sense 5 is leagues better then what the e3d had and the speakers are night and day. Other immediate things about the upgrade- The thin profile of the phone makes you feel like you've been carrying a brick around with the E3D. I was incredibly aware of whatever pocket the E3D was in, the One is larger but way less bulky.

The speed- The S3 in the Evo wasn't terrible or anything but it did lag in certain ways. The one is 100% fluid. I've yet to lag the thing at all. While the Evo might not seem slow to you, going back to it will seem like it's become a snail.

I can't wait to upgrade my tegra 3 tablet with something rocking a snapdragon 800. Qualcomm is killin' it.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Tedronai66 posted:

I called Sprint it sounded like they would only give you one for free if you met some set criteria--dropped calls or poor reception on their map.

My calls at home are mostly fine, I don't drop calls. My problem is when people call I wont hear it ring, or it will only ring once. So I frequently get voicemail notifications without hearing my phone ring. I've tried factory resetting my phone (GS3) and have used by Touchwiz and GM10.1 ROMs, and it acts the same. So it's definitely a Sprint issue.

I got stonewalled on the phone, so we'll see how dan@sprint.com treats me.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Does anyone know how long it takes for Airraves to arrive? They said it would be here either Monday or Tuesday and it's still not here. They never gave me a tracking number or anything. Should I call and ask? I don't want to be a pain in the rear end since it's free and all, but still.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I called Sprint it sounded like they would only give you one for free if you met some set criteria--dropped calls or poor reception on their map.

My calls at home are mostly fine, I don't drop calls. My problem is when people call I wont hear it ring, or it will only ring once. So I frequently get voicemail notifications without hearing my phone ring. I've tried factory resetting my phone (GS3) and have used by Touchwiz and GM10.1 ROMs, and it acts the same. So it's definitely a Sprint issue.

It's only one free Airrave per account now. In terms of criteria they never seemed to care much 6 months ago.

If you have issues getting one, call care, say I want to cancel and talk to retentions. ID be surprised if they gave an issue.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FlyingCheese posted:

Does anyone know how long it takes for Airraves to arrive? They said it would be here either Monday or Tuesday and it's still not here. They never gave me a tracking number or anything. Should I call and ask? I don't want to be a pain in the rear end since it's free and all, but still.

They don't give you a tracking number because if you tried looking it up on their 3G service the airrave would arrive before the page loaded.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

sick burn

Evil Crouton
Oct 4, 2004

The Amish scare me

I got an Airave a few weeks ago by just calling the number and telling them I had poor reception in my house. They immediately offered me a free Airave after checking if I was eligible for an additional line. I'm not sure why they needed the credit check for another line since it's completely free.

As far as shipping times go, I ordered mine after work on a Friday and received it the following Wednesday.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I think I'm going to use my upgrade and get a HTC One. Hopefully they can still upgrade SERO-P accounts at corporate stores.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Evil Crouton posted:

I got an Airave a few weeks ago by just calling the number and telling them I had poor reception in my house. They immediately offered me a free Airave after checking if I was eligible for an additional line. I'm not sure why they needed the credit check for another line since it's completely free.

As far as shipping times go, I ordered mine after work on a Friday and received it the following Wednesday.

The airrave use a line on your account, so if you are approved for 5 lines it uses oke of those 5.

Also if you have a deposit or poor credit they usually won't give you a free $120 device unfortunately.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

mcpringles posted:

I think I'm going to use my upgrade and get a HTC One. Hopefully they can still upgrade SERO-P accounts at corporate stores.

If you use the employee website thing. Its 149.99 and that offer is not available at retail. Just fyi

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

mcpringles posted:

Don't go to a store if you can avoid doing so. You're just asking for trouble.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

EbolaIvory posted:

If you use the employee website thing. Its 149.99 and that offer is not available at retail. Just fyi

What is this employee website thing?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

thelightguy posted:

What is this employee website thing?
Log into http://delivery.sprint.com/m/p/nxt/epc/epclanding.asp with the Sprint employee email and CID that you signed up to SERO/EPRP with, and it grants you access to the "Everything Plus Referral Program Shoppers Private Store". It doesn't seem to give any better deals than the regular website though.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

td4guy posted:

Log into http://delivery.sprint.com/m/p/nxt/epc/epclanding.asp with the Sprint employee email and CID that you signed up to SERO/EPRP with, and it grants you access to the "Everything Plus Referral Program Shoppers Private Store". It doesn't seem to give any better deals than the regular website though.

Ah, yeah, that's new lines of service only, not upgrades as was implied. Oh well, at least the S4 is finally down to $199.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
To root users: Can sprint tell when you're tethering unofficially? If they can, do they? I've done it a couple times with no problems but wanted to know.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gozinbulx posted:

To root users: Can sprint tell when you're tethering unofficially? If they can, do they? I've done it a couple times with no problems but wanted to know.

I think there are tethering apps that will make an attempt at masking it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gozinbulx posted:

There are always methods companies can use to try and detect tethering. Last I checked, Sprint basically has overlooked the issue, but basically they can always change their kind and start trying to block people tethering at any time. Quite frankly, I'm surprised they haven't yet, since the other 3 do try and block unauthorized tethering.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

I thought only T-Mobile went to any effort to detect and block unauthorized tethering.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

td4guy posted:

I thought only T-Mobile went to any effort to detect and block unauthorized tethering.

Verizon and ATT do for unlimited data plans.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

td4guy posted:

Don't go to a store if you can avoid doing so. You're just asking for trouble.

I shouldn't of went to a Sprint store but I wanted to have the phone for this weekend so I could take some pictures.

All the reps freaked out when I told them I didn't need insurance or a case. Sorry I don't want my phone to look like a giant brick when I tell you I'm buying the phone because I like the design. They were so confused when I told them I was upgrading from a GS3 too.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Double post.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

mcpringles posted:

I shouldn't of went to a Sprint store but I wanted to have the phone for this weekend so I could take some pictures.

All the reps freaked out when I told them I didn't need insurance or a case. Sorry I don't want my phone to look like a giant brick when I tell you I'm buying the phone because I like the design. They were so confused when I told them I was upgrading from a GS3 too.

That's their job. Insurance attachment rates and accessory revenue are metrics that are tracked.

When I worked there I told customers on more than one occasion that a phone was out of stock because they weren't getting accessories.

That being said I don't buy cases either.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Giblet posted:

When I worked there I told customers on more than one occasion that a phone was out of stock because they weren't getting accessories.

How much commission do you guys make on accessories? I only ask because it always seems like it's 95% or something. When I upgraded through telesales the guy I got was horrible with this. His sales tactic was saying "OK, and I've gone ahead and added an otterbox @ $50 dollars to the order" as fast as possible, hoping I wouldn't hear it. Guy went through every tactic in the span of 3 minutes- trying to scare me with made up stats, trying to guilt me into helping him out, feigned outrage that I'd "let him sell me a phone without protection". I'm pretty sure if he could have offered me a blowjob he would have.

Oddly enough he had no reply to the idea that someone might want to actually see something like a case in person before buying it. If it were me I'd try and counter with some sort ofhalf rear end % discount.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

zer0spunk posted:

How much commission do you guys make on accessories? I only ask because it always seems like it's 95% or something. When I upgraded through telesales the guy I got was horrible with this. His sales tactic was saying "OK, and I've gone ahead and added an otterbox @ $50 dollars to the order" as fast as possible, hoping I wouldn't hear it. Guy went through every tactic in the span of 3 minutes- trying to scare me with made up stats, trying to guilt me into helping him out, feigned outrage that I'd "let him sell me a phone without protection". I'm pretty sure if he could have offered me a blowjob he would have.

Oddly enough he had no reply to the idea that someone might want to actually see something like a case in person before buying it. If it were me I'd try and counter with some sort ofhalf rear end % discount.

10%

Most people need a case. Fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

zer0spunk posted:

Well, there's two things to it. There's commission, and there's "if you have bad numbers we will fire you." Commission varies job to job (I made 16% off accys at my last job, like 5% at the new one). Both jobs have one thing in common though, bad numbers result in loss of said job. Therefore, I make sure I'm taken care of money wise, but I'll sell what they ask me too money or no money (see also: wireless home phone).

Goals are at least usually realistic either way, and the ones that aren't tend to change when everyone misses goal.

Sales is fun (seriously, I enjoy it). And I do agree that most normal people should get a case and insurance.