Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I think I want to name a guild <Galactic Code of Bro-Droids> now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Nipponophile posted:

I think I want to name a guild <Galactic Code of Bro-Droids> now.

I always wanted to make a guild called "Fleet Repair" and have everyone AFK'ing in various parts of the fleet at all times using the /repair weld animation on various things. That emote never ceases to make me laugh...a few of my friends and I would use it in flashpoints when it was the 3 of us and one random person, we'd often get confused "uhh whats going on?".

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Red Crown posted:

SWTOR hasn't been afraid to touch on some hardcore issues. The trooper storyline on Ord Mantell has the rebels kidnapping children, drugging them and forcing them to fight.

I think that's just a general Ord Mantell quest, as I got that on my Smuggler too, but that doesn't seem to really be the same thing. I'm not offended or anthing, but I was simply surprised to see actual "extermination factories" and gas chambers and such showing up in the game. I mean yeah, it obvious when you think about it that the Empire does this, it's just that if there's anything you'd expect a writer to shy away from fictionalising, it'd be the Holocaust.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The Empire in the movies were largely inspired by the Nazis, and things like blowing up Alderaan and exterminating the Jedi could be seen as pretty blatant Holocaust allegories. Star Wars was never afraid to shy away from the "dark side" of human nature, it's kinda what it's all about.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

The Empire in the movies were largely inspired by the Nazis, and things like blowing up Alderaan and exterminating the Jedi could be seen as pretty blatant Holocaust allegories. Star Wars was never afraid to shy away from the "dark side" of human nature, it's kinda what it's all about.
Yeah, and it's not difficult at all to reconcile the Empire's overtly anti-alien attitude in the EU with its depiction in the original trilogy when you start to notice that virtually everyone in the Empire is human. There's also the scene in ANH where that one officer asks, with visible disgust, where Han and Luke are taking "this... thing" - i.e. Chewbacca.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Place Ad Here posted:

Not really, it requires paying attention.
Shock, trash, pull, taunt, force lighting, or just pay attention to where spheres are.

They are easy like they were at 50, that operation was not hard, there are minor mechanic changes that almost no extra damage or no extra damage.

Terror is boring and easy, there is nothing hard about it, you sit there and heal and dps irregularities.

You don't need 72s to do anything. I've healed, tanked, and dpsed HM SV in 63/66/69s. You do not need the gear a raid drops to clear a raid. That is not how this game is designed. It is all about knowing what abilities to cast and when. You AoE when you need to heal up a cluster of people and the tank is not in a situation where they will die. Innervate/bubble are your primary heals. Dark Heal should never ever be used, dark infusion should only be used if you need to heal the tank and bubble/innervate are down. Resurgance should always be used prior to your AoE and if possible before innervate. You use consumption when you have stacks from innervate and use it when there is a downtime in a fight, most that are healing intensive have down time. Also your knockback should be used before your AoE as a quick AoE heal since it is instant. Force barrier should also be used to remove stacks of consumption if you ever hit 4 stacks and a bubble should be on you as much as possible to counteract the consumption health loss.

This is a good thread to refer to http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/thread-1199.html

I had a brain fart- SM Terror really isn't bad now that I've run it a few times. Its actually pretty simple as a healer. Tanks and DPS have it much harder (but I imagine once you do it once or twice it sort of sticks with you).

I feel like mechanistically I'm getting better at the heals- most of the stuff you mentioned makes sense and is close to what I try to do (Dark Heal is pretty dinky). I guess I just need to spend more time on Adonnta running low risk stuff like HM flashpoints so I can get the muscle memory down and figure out how I want to optimize my UI/ rotation. I've just never done anything like any of this before so it can be pretty intimidating.

EDIT: Thanks for that link- that's a really great resource and explicitly explains what needs to be done and when. I like seeing it all spelled out like that because it helps me internalize it better.

wtftastic fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 24, 2013

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
SM TfB is easy for everyone, even if you mess up it's forgiving. HM TfB is not.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Bioware Forums posted:

Hello everyone,

My name is Bruce Maclean and I am a Senior Producer here at BioWare Austin. I know there have been a lot of questions around the forums about what kind of content you can expect from us this year and so I’m here today to give you all a bit of information about what we’re working on bringing to you this summer!

First up, Game Update 2.2, which is currently targeted for launch on June 11th:
* Nightmare Mode Terror From Beyond. It’s got vicious new mechanics and is definitely not for the faint of heart. I’m very excited for you to see the new gear that comes with this, which uses a new appearance system we’ve developed for armor and weapons called ‘Scrolling UVs’.
* New Guild Bonuses! Players in guilds currently receive a +5% experience bonus, but now every 5 active players in the guild will add an additional 1% bonus to XP and reputation, up to a maximum bonus of 10% each.
* Crafters can now craft Underworld gear! But don’t RE that piece if you are still using it…
* Unified fleet chat channel for each faction, for easier group finding without having to hop between instances.

We’ve seen a lot of requests for a rerun of our Double XP weekends. Well, okay! We’d like to help you stay cool in the heat of the summer with three weekends starting June 22nd and continuing through July 7th. The third and last weekend will actually start early on Thursday the 4th of July, in case you are enjoying a long Independence Day weekend.

By July 9th Ops groups will have had four weeks to cut their teeth on Nightmare Mode Terror From Beyond. That’s when we will launch Nightmare Mode Scum and Villainy as a part of Game Update 2.2.2! New mechanics and unique loot for you.

July 23rd look for a return of the Relics of the Gree Event for a nice two week long run. Per community request the Event will scaled up to level 55 on this next run!

August 6th is our target date for Game Update 2.3, which we are working on right now and will be our biggest update since 2.0. Some of the bigger parts of this update are:
* New Flashpoints
* New Daily Area
* New Recurring Event
* Significant graphical upgrades

This isn’t an exhaustive list, and we are also working on some longer term stuff. Sometimes we have been averse to discussing specific dates well in advance, because we aren’t going to release anything unless we feel it is ready to go live and we don’t want to upset folks if we move a date back. Well I think we should just tell you what date the teams are shooting for, and if we don’t hit them we’ll just tell you why. Radical thinking, I know. As we get closer we’ll have a lot more juicy details on these - keep your eyes peeled to the forums and SWTOR.com for more information. Also, for those who are curious about the next updates to PvP, I will just say… apart from minor tweaks (like stunbreak abilities cooldown being reset on death in 2.2) you should look forward to Game Update 2.4. /rubshands

DOUBLE XP IS BACK (time to level another alt)! Everything sounds pretty good on my end.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Why are they adding content for the top couple of guilds on each server? Where is the content for non raiders from 0-49??!

Whats with all the guild bonuses, some people don't like being in a guild and single play is only encouraged by the quest system!

I find it unbelievable that crafters will now be able to craft 72 stuff, now people that have never entered a raid can get the top end gear!

Now that fleet chat is unified won't we all get a lot more spam? Did biofail think this through?!

hmm, pretending to be in the Bioware forums is hard.

edit: Heres a real one from the Bioware forums:

quote:

Last 'free' content for subscribers was february.

April brought the expansion (which i'm still enjoying) but that was a paid expansion, nothing to do with the content cycle.
2.1 was...well we all know that wasn't content.
2.2 is wafer thin (one 9 month old Operation getting one extra difficulty).
2.3 is august.

Expansions aren't content!

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 22:10 on May 24, 2013

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

:toot: Double XP weekends :toot:

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008
Why aren't expansions content? Not trying to be facetious just trying to understand what you mean? I considered RotHC to be some pretty enjoyable content and now I'm wondering what I was thinking as I haven't played in a couple weeks.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is the accepted workaround for avoiding Flashpoint crashes involving hyper space to alt-tab? Really?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So, I just met probably the dumbest pubbie in existence.

Group finder at level 36 for a FP, and hey, it pops after 20 minutes. Our tank is level 35 Assassin, who says he just respecced to tanking and it will be his first time. We say it's fine, and we'll go slowly.

The first group of mobs kill him. Not bosses or anything, just normal mobs. He makes an excuse so we move on.

As we get to the first boss, he's already died 4-5 times, so I finally look at his equipment. Every item besides his lightsaber and helmet were level 10 greens - literally the same ones as you get as quest rewards on Korriban.

So I asked why the hell he hasn't upgraded in 25 levels, and he says it's because he can't do anything besides PVP because his gear sucks, and starts bitching about how this game is terrible for not letting him get any gear that's any good.

:wtc: pubbies.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Team THEOLOGY posted:

Why aren't expansions content? Not trying to be facetious just trying to understand what you mean? I considered RotHC to be some pretty enjoyable content and now I'm wondering what I was thinking as I haven't played in a couple weeks.

:thejoke:

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Ah Internet fail, I didn't even understand your emoticon until I saw it in plain text.

spanko
Apr 7, 2004
winnar

hobbesmaster posted:

Expansions aren't content!

Subscribers are upset because there is a 6 month gap between new content for subscribers. As a sub you had to pay for the "expansion". Yes its content but its content subscribers had to pay for. What is the $15 a month from people who have been subbed since February getting them exactly? $5/month in cartel coins.

spanko fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 25, 2013

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

hobbesmaster posted:

Whats with all the guild bonuses, some people don't like being in a guild and single play is only encouraged by the quest system!

Join random newbie guild>turn off guild chat, etc.>profit.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

spanko posted:

Subscribers are upset because there is a 6 month gap between new content for subscribers. As a sub you had to pay for the "expansion". Yes its content but its content subscribers had to pay for. What is the $15 a month people who have been subbed since February getting them exactly? $5/month in cartel coins.

Ah that makes sense I've been a sub for 6 or so months now and I always just assumed it was for all the character slots, credit cap, etc.

Makes sense though I definitely understand the grievance.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
So, what exactly is the benefit of playing a Warrior/Knight without an advanced class? You seem to miss out on a lot in terms of lacking a skill tree.

Team THEOLOGY
Nov 27, 2008

Red Crown posted:

So, what exactly is the benefit of playing a Warrior/Knight without an advanced class? You seem to miss out on a lot in terms of lacking a skill tree.

It's a bad joke. Pick an advanced class.

VonLudwig
Apr 22, 2008

Red Crown posted:

GUTS.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Turns out it's actually a pretty good joke!

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Double XP weekends are awesome. They should definitely be a recurring thing.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Samara posted:

Double XP weekends are awesome. They should definitely be a recurring thing.

What's the best way to take advantage of the upcoming one(s)? Should I try pushing my Juggernaught to 55 (if I'm not there by then, 33 now), or maybe start an alt? Double xp + legacy xp boost + 'normal' xp boost, does that all stack?

VonLudwig
Apr 22, 2008
Yes, those all stack, but rested XP will not stack with the double XP weekend boost. And your best bet is getting one character to 55 first, so you can take advantage of the credits you can make at max level in order to fund your alts with things like advanced speeder piloting and so on.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
The new hair + hair color options for humans are amazing. Now I want to buy Cathar as well.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I've got enough spare creds now I think I'm gonna buy a species off the GTN. I've only been playing for a few weeks so I don't have any unlocked yet.

The correct answer is to roll a Sith Jedi and piss of RPers, right?

HOTLANTA MAN fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 25, 2013

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I've got enough spare creds now I think I'm gonna buy a species of the GTN. I've only been playing for a few weeks so I don't have any unlocked yet.

The correct answer is to roll a Sith Jedi and piss of RPers, right?

No, make it a non-force sensitive character on either side. Sith Trooper/Sith Agent are the best.

RPers will get mad over you not having force powers, since apparently every Sith Pureblood has them, in the eyes of the RPers.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

SM TfB is easy for everyone, even if you mess up it's forgiving. HM TfB is not.

Have they changed this since the launch of SM TfB? I only played it once, got up to the second last boss which we died twice pretty fast (we had no idea about the mechanics). Throughout it all though it seemed pretty tough (as a healer anyhow.) I'm not a fantastic healer or a hardcore raider, but I completed HM EC which felt about the same difficulty as SM TfB.

What sort of gear would I need for it now to queue for SM TfB in group finder? I haven't played much on my main since 2.0, so my gear is full 63's. Would I need better than that? I just hope to complete the raid once just to see it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I looted an Orange item during a FP, but I'm using a F2P account. If I buy the unlock (or just flat out sub) for wearing orange gear, will that item appear somewhere or is it lost to the ether? It wasn't in my inventory when I won the roll so I assume something with F2P interfered.

Second question: is there any reason buy the expansion until level 50/end-game or whatever?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Rascyc posted:

I looted an Orange item during a FP, but I'm using a F2P account. If I buy the unlock (or just flat out sub) for wearing orange gear, will that item appear somewhere or is it lost to the ether? It wasn't in my inventory when I won the roll so I assume something with F2P interfered.

You can use orange items as a F2P player, but not purples.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hmm, I wonder where it went to then.

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Rascyc posted:

Hmm, I wonder where it went to then.

Full inventory, nobody picked it up?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
:siren:Newbie Trip Report Time:siren:

Quesh is the worst loving planet.

Thankfully it's relatively small/short (I'm playing as a Sentinel) but oh my God the color palette makes my eyes loving bleed.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

:siren:Newbie Trip Report Time:siren:

Quesh is the worst loving planet.

Thankfully it's relatively small/short (I'm playing as a Sentinel) but oh my God the color palette makes my eyes loving bleed.

You'll hate Voss then...

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

On a whim I went and played F2P as Inquisitor for a bit and decided that this was a game for me, subbed for 6 months because my dumb rear end didn't read this thread first and dived into "I get the most stuff for my money if I buy game time in bulk!" mode :hurr:

That said, I'm having a blast. I keep finding new pleasing features as I go, and the class storylines with Mass Effect-style NPC chat keep things awesome, and coupled with the amount of mobs you can take on in one go really keeps the 'badass protagonist' feel going rather than the 'fantasy world janitor' feel from my WoW days.

I'm not quite sure what server I'm on now, but I'll definitely hop over to join Thats No Goon once the transfer feature kicks in if I'm not on the right server.

So is there any real equipment motivation to aim for the extreme Light/Darkside alignments? I found myself going darkside just to qualify for a badass lightsaber I found with L1 Dark requirements, and immediately found an equivalent neutral weapon in a questline. Kinda regretting some questchat decisions now, save for one gem of a class quest line ending: Thanks for the holocron, rear end in a top hat! It was hilarious watching your dad froth at the mouth for a bit before I lightning stabbed his head off.

Laowai posted:

Behold just one snippet of glory. Well done GM Gavin.

Witty GM advice

Regards,

Gavin
Star Wars ™: The Old Republic™ Customer Service"

I hope this guy is secretly a goon, lurking through this thread with steepled fingers chuckling contentedly to himself. The wife and I havent had this much fun with her watching me play video games since we got tired of Mass Effect. Hearing her chuckling whenever my Inquisitor lightning bolts some random rear end in a top hat and constantly wondering out loud when he's going to bone his master never gets old.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Romav posted:

Have they changed this since the launch of SM TfB? I only played it once, got up to the second last boss which we died twice pretty fast (we had no idea about the mechanics). Throughout it all though it seemed pretty tough (as a healer anyhow.) I'm not a fantastic healer or a hardcore raider, but I completed HM EC which felt about the same difficulty as SM TfB.

What sort of gear would I need for it now to queue for SM TfB in group finder? I haven't played much on my main since 2.0, so my gear is full 63's. Would I need better than that? I just hope to complete the raid once just to see it.

It's not different, but it's easier to gear up for. And yeah, the mechanics are a little weird, but you can just look them up. The thing about it is that for every fight there are mechanics that only the tank should care about and only the dps should care about.

(I did end up accidentally grabbing a debuff the tank needed once on the TFB fight, which is why you pay attention to where you're going.)

But honestly it's not that bad.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I was just doing PVP, and there was a level 54 operative who kept following me around (8 out of 9 of my deaths were from her) who was able to get me down to as little as 20% HP before even unstealthing on my screen. Is that normal, or just the infamous PVP lag everyone on their forums complains about?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Halp. I hit level 11 but I still can't create a legacy and never got a prompt, and the button at the top is grayed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!
So I'm just curious, which planets have been everyone's favorite so far, in terms of story, design, etc.?

• Locked thread