Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The 3/18/96 Observer contains my favorite tidbit in the history of wrestling.

quote:

The situation with the latter two has created some controversy within WCW as well. Figures floating around, and these are all rumored figures, are that Hall's real dollar amount would be in the $350,000 to $450,000 range and Nash's figure would be between $450,000 and $600,000. This has caused the expected unhappiness from some in WCW who perceive themselves as bigger stars and have certainly done more in pro wrestling that aren't making the same money. However, if you look at pro sports in competitive as opposed to monopolistic economic situations in the past, in every situation it ends up with guys who owners are trying to get make team or league moves being paid way above what had been the scale for people of their level. Ironically, Hulk Hogan, who is still earning tons more than anyone else in wrestling, has apparently been vocal about the newcomers being paid too much and felt the money would have been better spent on Yokozuna or Ultimate Warrior.

Mods please change the thread title to "the money would have been better spent on Yokozuna or Ultimate Warrior"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

He really was just looking to get all his wins back.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who else has Hogan never gotten his win back from?

Yokozuna

Jacques Rougeau

Goldberg

Brock Lesnar (I think)

Any others?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

Yokozuna

Jacques Rougeau

Goldberg

Brock Lesnar (I think)

Any others?

There's the two to the Rock. Hell the scumbag even made sure he got his win back against Andre!!!

Edit: Hogan may not hold a single win over Sting. I think they went to a DQ on Nitro (Sting may have technically won?) and I think that was their only match until Starrcade 97. Sting then won there (sort of) and at Superbrawl, plus at Fall Brawl 99 and (sort of) at Halloween Havoc 99.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 21, 2013

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MassRanTer posted:

There's the two to the Rock. Hell the scumbag even made sure he got his win back against Andre!!!

Edit: Hogan may not hold a single win over Sting. I think they went to a DQ on Nitro (Sting may have technically won?) and I think that was their only match until Starrcade 97. Sting then won there (sort of) and at Superbrawl, plus at Fall Brawl 99 and (sort of) at Halloween Havoc 99.

They had a no-contest at Bash at the Beach '96, though I think it was Savage whom Hogan beat up there.

Who ate the pin or submission at their War Games match at the '96 Fall Brawl (the one with the fake Sting)?

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Timby posted:

They had a no-contest at Bash at the Beach '96, though I think it was Savage whom Hogan beat up there.

Who ate the pin or submission at their War Games match at the '96 Fall Brawl (the one with the fake Sting)?

With BATB '96 being a six-man (five-man?) tag, that probably wouldn't count for this purpose, I assume. and Savage is definitely the one who took the leg drop from Hogan.

I think Luger submitted in the '96 War Games match.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

EugeneJ posted:

Yokozuna

Jacques Rougeau

Goldberg

Brock Lesnar (I think)

Any others?

Lanny Poffo. I poo poo you not.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Angle made him tap at KOTR 2002 and Hogan only got DQ wins on TV.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yup he didn't get his win back on Brock which is hilarious. I though he was so putting him over like that at the time. Then a few weeks later... nope.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Jeff Jarret still has his win from bash at the beach to be gotten back. It was the entire attraction of a TNA run for Hogan in its early days.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I thought Hogan's return after the Rock match wasn't horrible and he was going to actually pass the torch after one more moment in the sun. Both that went downhill quick.

Job Creator
Apr 3, 2009

Dickeye posted:

'Mania 27?

No, not Wrestlemania 27 :ughh:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sean Archer posted:

No, not Wrestlemania 27 :ughh:

jokes.jpg

Nitro in half an hour! http://sync.coconono.org/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also in that observer

quote:

Raw on 3/11 in San Antonio before a sellout 9,364 paying $75,672 opened with Skip beating Craig or Duane Johnson.

Duane Johnson? Not Dwayne Johnson maybe?

edit: You bet, the Rock has made his debut :siren:

Dave posted:

It wasn't until later in the week when I asked and they told me it was Rocky's son.

I was also told either the day or two days after his debut by two different people that he would be the biggest star in the business by the year 2000.

double edit: That makes it two people: Triple H and the Rock whom Dave got the names wrong upon debut. :)

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 09:58 on May 22, 2013

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I remember Dave talking about him in an issue all the way back in like 1992 and saying he would probably become a wrestler eventually.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

Also in that observer

Duane Johnson? Not Dwayne Johnson maybe?

edit: You bet, the Rock has made his debut :siren:

double edit: That makes it two people: Triple H and the Rock whom Dave got the names wrong upon debut. :)

I skimmed right over that wondering why Skip was in a handicap match against Craig and Duane Johnson.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Also in that Observer: The Ringmaster changed his name to "Stone Cold" Steve Austin.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

MassRanTer posted:

Also in that Observer: The Ringmaster changed his name to "Stone Cold" Steve Austin.

Sounds like a pretty lame name, no way that guy will get over with anyone but smarks on the Internet.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Chilly McFreeze, now that's a name you can set your watch to

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

The champ is here!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I bet it'll get a... frosty reaction. :smug:

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I just now finally made it through the thread after starting at around Christmas, reading a few pages every week.

There was a bunch of stuff along the way I wanted to ask about, but this is the only one I can remember since it's so recent.

Did the Nitro Grill (or even WWFNY) have anything else going for it then it's theme? I've been to the NASCAR restaurant in Myrtle Beach a few times, which is pretty cool. But, it had an entire go-kart park, arcade games, and a simulator along with the restaurant. Did WWF/WCW have anything like that?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Hockles posted:

I just now finally made it through the thread after starting at around Christmas, reading a few pages every week.

There was a bunch of stuff along the way I wanted to ask about, but this is the only one I can remember since it's so recent.

Did the Nitro Grill (or even WWFNY) have anything else going for it then it's theme? I've been to the NASCAR restaurant in Myrtle Beach a few times, which is pretty cool. But, it had an entire go-kart park, arcade games, and a simulator along with the restaurant. Did WWF/WCW have anything like that?

I've only been to the WWF New York (way back in 2000) and it was basically just a regular restaurant (I recall it being really drab and black though I imagine it was dressed up for PPVs or media appearances) with a merchandise shop where you could buy shirts and other stuff. They only real gimmick was that older PPVs (WrestleMania 2000 was playing when I was there in August 2000) were playing on all the TVs as you ate. There were no other gimmicks as I recall; just the restaurant and the shop. The very first wrestling shirts I ever bought were at WWF New York and they were $25 each as I recall. The menus were also overpriced but I cannot recall any exact figures. Again, this is in Times Square so obviously everything was pricey as gently caress.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 25, 2013

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I checked up on the videos for this week's Nitros today and boy was I an idiot what I wondered how WCW would main event Nitros now that they Hogan vs Alliance feud was over.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Hockles posted:

Did the Nitro Grill (or even WWFNY) have anything else going for it then it's theme?

It's not a restaurant, but the WWE Niagara Falls store had an amusement part ride on top of it. I think it was called the Piledriver?

The ride was closed the one time I went though. Turns out it was because I was there a month before WWE shut the entire store down.

Explains why they only had oddly out-of-date merchandise for sale, you could buy all the Hurricane or Matt Hardy stuff you could dream of!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm not sure if it was every week but when I went to WWFNY they were doing Raw at Madison Square Garden and the restaurant was a big Raw party with some wrestlers moseying down the street to make appearances there. I met Ivory and Funaki, which was pretty cool.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

triplexpac posted:

I think it was called the Piledriver?

I like to imagine that it was just the Tower of Terror, but upside down and amazingly unsafe.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

triplexpac posted:

It's not a restaurant, but the WWE Niagara Falls store had an amusement part ride on top of it. I think it was called the Piledriver?

The ride was closed the one time I went though. Turns out it was because I was there a month before WWE shut the entire store down.

Explains why they only had oddly out-of-date merchandise for sale, you could buy all the Hurricane or Matt Hardy stuff you could dream of!

Yeah, it was located in what I remember being an area that was quite possibly the biggest freaking tourist trap you could possibly imagine on the Canadian side. It was around for a long time, actually, and everyone seemed to forgot it still existed (WWE as well probably).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Nitro tonight! Benoit vs Guerrero, old men, titles, nonsense!

http://sync.coconono.org/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport at 8 PM EDT!

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

http://www.wwe.com/videos/wwe-rankd-extremely-bad-gimmick-matches-26114659

Three aren't WCW related, but it does include plenty of the most cringeworthy matches WCW ever came up with. Including a PSP favorite moment at #5! :buddy:

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
On the Bryan and Vinny show yesterday, Bryan mentioned that Carmen Electra was going to be the driver of the Hummer at some point. Has anyone heard this before? It was certainly news to me.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They mentioned her in the Death of WCW book for that but its just such a bizarre choice I can't fathom how you get to her being the driver.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

oldpainless posted:

They mentioned her in the Death of WCW book for that but its just such a bizarre choice I can't fathom how you get to her being the driver.

As I have said many times. Forget it Oldpainless. It's WCW.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Tato posted:

On the Bryan and Vinny show yesterday, Bryan mentioned that Carmen Electra was going to be the driver of the Hummer at some point. Has anyone heard this before? It was certainly news to me.

I think literally every wrestler and celebrity was rumored to be the driver at one point or another

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Scirocco Griffon posted:

http://www.wwe.com/videos/wwe-rankd-extremely-bad-gimmick-matches-26114659

Three aren't WCW related, but it does include plenty of the most cringeworthy matches WCW ever came up with. Including a PSP favorite moment at #5! :buddy:
The 49ers match is the greatest thing; WWE should do one right now. Kane finds a Shockmaster helmet. Bryan finds a baby goat.

I also liked the King of the Road match. A jobber and a guy they're not sure why they're paying, taking a hayride: "This is what WCW's all about!"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I'm on my phone at the moment. What matches were listed?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Tato posted:

Wasn't she married to Rodman at that time? Maybe this was some sort of angle to bring her in with him or something?

I have no idea, I'm grasping at straws for a way to link her with WCW

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Toffile posted:

I'm on my phone at the moment. What matches were listed?
Chamber of Horrors Match (Cactus Jack, Abdullah, Scott Hall, and Vader vs. Sting, El Gigante, and the Steiners)
Monster Truck Match (A monster truck big enough to contain The Giant vs. a monster truck big enough to contain Hulk Hogan's ego)
Hog Pen Match (Triple H vs. Henry Godwinn)
49ers Match (Booker T vs. Jeff Jarrett, The Wack Pack vs. Jarrett's Balls)
Piñata on a Pole Match (Luchadores vs. Vince Russo's racism)
King of the Road Match (Dustin Rhodes and Barry Darsow vs. hay and centrifugal force)
Tuxedo Match (Howard Finkel's body vs. my eyes)
Kennel from Hell Match (Al Snow vs. Big Bossman, dog's urine vs. cage, dog's penis vs. dog)

Bleacher Report has a lot of crappy articles, but this one on gimmick matches is pretty entertaining and contains some WCW gems. Bad gimmick matches are hilarious; we could probably have a thread just on the disaster that was the Brawl-for-All.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 30, 2013

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I was at the TNA Electrified Cage Match featured in the Bleacher Report article, and it was loving hilariously bad. When the match started, the PA speakers pumped in a loud electric "HUMMMM" and the crowd quickly started making GBS threads on it like I've never heard. The big spot happened when someone grabbed the "electrified" cage (I think it was Bubba Ray IIRC) and the lights dimmed while a big "ZAPPPP" sound effect played...naturally to a chorus of boos. It was just terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The Chamber of Horrors match was so great because the lever kept falling. And Foley's face when he goes to pull it is hilarious.