Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Hobnob posted:

Blackface is well known as offensive in the UK, at least nowadays. Right up to the late 70s we had The Black and White Minstrel Show being one of the most popular programmes on the BBC (I remember watching it as a kid), but it slowly got more and more criticism as the offensiveness of the stereotype became better known. Thanks to the saturation of US culture, the fried chicken and watermelon stereotype is also fairly well known as offensive, though probably not many could say why.

Hell, one could even point out that in the '90s there was blackface in Jeeves and Wooster - skip to 09:07 to see Dr. House as you'd never expect to have seen him before, certainly not in '93. Of course one could argue that the blackface was invariable used to illustrate the idiocy of the upper-class twits of the time, but it is even at the very best utterly morally and ethically shady. Shame, 'cause it was otherwise an excellent show. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.

Radish posted:

I'm not saying all CCW people are like that at all. In cases like with the Giffords shooting CCW people are able to correctly gauge the situation and not make the situation worse by firing wildly or even using their gun so it's not simply a CCW is equal to crazy psychopath. However there are people that think that self defense is equal to theft and that is the type of person that infuriates me; they make situations worse by trying to be a Wild West hero that stops robbers or thieves since justice must be met out or end up killing people that are no longer threatening innocent victims. There is also a subset of the media that encourages that behavior by lauding the guys that by sheer luck didn't kill anyone when they pull a gun in a tense robbery and start shooting.
Agreed. The only reason you should be drawing a CCW is to defend yourself from deadly physical force. A mass shooting is a grey area because it can't get worse than a heavily armed shooter emptying magazines into soft targets, but I myself would probably just try to GTFO rather than return fire.

That's fairly well established in the law though. You're not supposed to draw a gun to stop a robbery, and barring states with castle,doctrine, you can't just open fire on a burglar in your home.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Wapole Languray posted:

Ever read Snow Crash? In it the protagonist, Hiro, has to pull a gun on some guys who try to mug him, and eventually has to fire a warning shot at them because they're not afraid of his gun. So, instead he leaves the gun in his glove compartment for emergencies, and wears a sword on his hip because it's a more obvious and threatening weapon and therefore more likely to prevent a fight in the first place.

What I'm saying, is that a weapon meant for deterrent purposes should be as obvious and threatening as possible, yes?If you assume that carrying a weapon will act as a criminal deterrent, of course.

The effectiveness of a fine piece of Hanzo Steel is beyond question.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

myron cope posted:

Instead of saying "everyone should have to take a drug test, I do!" they should be saying "nobody* should have to take a drug test, drug tests are bullshit". It's the same thing as people against unions. "Hey, that dick shouldn't make a living wage, I don't! Down with unions!" instead of "Hey, maybe if we all had unions we'd all get a living wage!"

Crab mentality.

*certainly not to stock shelves at Walmart or work at burger king, at least.
The standard piss test always seemed kinda dumb to me, but then I read this Cracked article that said that it gives false positives 10-30% of the time and has no actual benefits in terms of discouraging drug use. It's a testament to how messed up we are that we insist on using something that fails up to a third of the time and doesn't accomplish anything, doubly so when it's a way to punish poor people.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Samovar posted:

Hell, one could even point out that in the '90s there was blackface in Jeeves and Wooster - skip to 09:07 to see Dr. House as you'd never expect to have seen him before, certainly not in '93. Of course one could argue that the blackface was invariable used to illustrate the idiocy of the upper-class twits of the time, but it is even at the very best utterly morally and ethically shady. Shame, 'cause it was otherwise an excellent show. Oh well.

Maybe comedy is not your thing. Were you also offended by all those Hitler salutes in 'Allo, 'allo?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Nenonen posted:

Maybe comedy is not your thing. Were you also offended by all those Hitler salutes in 'Allo, 'allo?

'Allo 'allo was a comedy?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Delpino posted:

Curious if it is just a regional thing, but if you called me a kefir, I'd take it as you calling me a yogurt drink. I learned it as kaffir from reading "The Power of One" which took place in ~WW2 South Africa. Is this just a different use in different countries?

I learned kaffir from watching Blood Diamond...

On the subject of drug testing for welfare, the Texas law that would've required for drug screenings for certain TANF recipients died in the House :hellyeah:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

zoux posted:

I learned kaffir from watching Blood Diamond...

On the subject of drug testing for welfare, the Texas law that would've required for drug screenings for certain TANF recipients died in the House :hellyeah:

Wow Texas democrats can actually do a good thing. :toot:

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Samovar posted:

I'd forgive this a bit because it's directly reflecting the source material, though. Check out P.G. Wodehouse's early school stories (available of Project Gutenberg) for some similar attitudes. People talk a lot of poo poo about political correctness, but read through of older fiction (particularly, I find, stuff written for children), and you'll regularly stumble over eye-poppingly awful casual racism that was just ingrained in society at the time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SaltLick posted:

Wow Texas democrats can actually do a good thing. :toot:

Well, the one that would require drug testing to get UI for certain industries did pass.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal
I normally just filter everything from my Grandma to the trash bin, but :stare:

"" posted:

This morning I went to sign my dogs up for welfare. At first the lady said, "Dogs are not eligible to draw welfare." So I explained to her that my dogs are mixed in color, unemployed, lazy, can't speak English and have no clue who their Daddys are. They expect me to feed them, provide them with housing and medical care. So she looked in her policy book to see what it takes to qualify. My dogs get their first checks on Friday. WOW, this is a great country!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Zifnab posted:

Jesus. 'Poor people are literally animals'.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Zifnab posted:

This is the ultimate "I'm not racist, I just thought it was funny!" email. God drat.

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.
You can't even call it dogwhistle racism, either. The "mixed color" part is just straight-up, not even ambiguous overt racism. :wtc:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's time that white people took the n-word and "mulatto" back. :allears:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

KillerJunglist posted:

This is the ultimate "I'm not racist, I just thought it was funny!" email. God drat.

No I'm pretty sure that's straight-up "I'm racist, and I hate you!"

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Based on my experiences, explaining why the dog email is atrocious would probably be met with some combination of "It's just a joke, why do you care?," "well you have to admit black people just want hand-outs, it's a fact," and utter stone-faced silence.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

OK, this is super-tangental but I've never seen anything remotely juicy in the desolate left-wing artsy echo chamber that is my facebook feed - but a friend of mine just got this response to Pope Francis' comments about atheists:

Anyone got any great rejoinders about how you shouldn't rate someone's christianity by how intolerant and vengeful they are?

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Sardine Wit posted:

OK, this is super-tangental but I've never seen anything remotely juicy in the desolate left-wing artsy echo chamber that is my facebook feed - but a friend of mine just got this response to Pope Francis' comments about atheists:

Anyone got any great rejoinders about how you shouldn't rate someone's christianity by how intolerant and vengeful they are?

The gay media is literally controlling whole countries! :freep: The gay media is so powerful that gay marriage is legal in every state and totally not a controversy in this country.
I wonder if the gay media has taken over Fox News as well...

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Sardine Wit posted:

You might be able to get away with Matt 7:21-23, which is basically 'gently caress off with your holier-than-thou bullshit, doing things in My name isn't what gets you in but rather doing the Lord's will' which is pretty drat close to a good scriptural response.

quote:

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

There's also a seed of a thing over in Mark 9:38-40 but that one is more of a warning against sectarian violence.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Sardine Wit posted:

I know for Catholics the whole mass on Ash Wednesday is that being a christian isn't about praying the loudest or doing things for attention and saying LOOK AT ME. It's about quietly doing your works and letting them speak for themselves.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Ol' Sheriff Joe is at it again!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sardine Wit posted:

James 2:24: You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

I saw this story this morning and it makes me not want to log into Facebook. I know how many apologists will come out of the woodwork (I live in Texas) about how it's big government trying to read people's minds and how do you know the suspect wasn't acting "suspicious". I'm sure even a few posts about how racially profiling against Hispanic people is good because "we have to do something about illegal immigration" for flavor.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Zifnab posted:

Your grandmother is an awful person and you should take her off of your FB.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

The only facebook comments worth reading are RT's.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I saw this story this morning and it makes me not want to log into Facebook. I know how many apologists will come out of the woodwork (I live in Texas) about how it's big government trying to read people's minds and how do you know the suspect wasn't acting "suspicious". I'm sure even a few posts about how racially profiling against Hispanic people is good because "we have to do something about illegal immigration" for flavor.

Federal Court upheld the ruling against Arapio yesterday though, so hopefully soon the Marshals or FBI take further interest in this fucker

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

KoldPT posted:

The only facebook comments worth reading are RT's.

Is she talking about India? How does she figure an Indian farmer is going to travel around the world to do that?

Van5
Sep 9, 2011

VideoTapir posted:

Is she talking about India? How does she figure an Indian farmer is going to travel around the world to do that?

Bootstraps?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Well, we can be sure he'd be eating cake as he traveled.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
Here's the week in LL101:

Here are a bunch of numbers and figures I made up.

Umbrellas.

IRS

IRS

AP

Pretty disappointing this week, although bonus points are awarded for stealing a picture from the 1992 slasher film Dr. Giggles to depict a "typical abortion clinic" doctor.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sir Rolo posted:

Umbrellas.

Haha you couldn't make this poo poo up.

The time Roosevelt was shot while giving a speech and finished giving it was during the 1912 election, when he was not running as a Republican, but rather founded his own party, the Progressive Party, which came to be known as the Bull Moose Party because of course it did.

Here's the Progressive Party's platform from 1912:

"Wikipedia posted:

The platform's main theme was reversing the domination of politics by business interests, which allegedly controlled the Republicans' and Democrats' parties, alike. The platform asserted that: To destroy this invisible Government, to dissolve the unholy alliance between corrupt business and corrupt politics is the first task of the statesmanship of the day.[12]

To that end, the platform called for

• Strict limits and disclosure requirements on political campaign contributions
  • Registration of lobbyists
  • Recording and publication of Congressional committee proceedings

In the social sphere the platform called for

• A National Health Service to include all existing government medical agencies.
  • Social insurance, to provide for the elderly, the unemployed, and the disabled
  • Limited injunctions in strikes
  • A minimum wage law for women
  • An eight hour workday
  • A federal securities commission
  • Farm relief
  • Workers' compensation for work-related injuries
  • An inheritance tax
  • A Constitutional amendment to allow a Federal income tax

The political reforms proposed included

• Women's suffrage
  • Direct election of Senators
  • Primary elections for state and federal nominations

The platform also urged states to adopt measures for "direct democracy", including:

• The recall election (citizens may remove an elected official before the end of his term)
  • The referendum (citizens may decide on a law by popular vote)
  • The initiative (citizens may propose a law by petition and enact it by popular vote)
  • Judicial recall (when a court declares a law unconstitutional, the citizens may override that ruling by popular vote)

He has soooooo much in common with today's Republicans.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
But Teddy was a MAN, so he'd obviously love the modern Republican party!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

But Teddy was a MAN, so he'd obviously love the modern Republican party!

Teddy was The Man. Even his speeches ruled:

quote:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world. Among the free peoples who govern themselves there is but a small field of usefulness open for the men of cloistered life who shrink from contact with their fellows. Still less room is there for those who deride of slight what is done by those who actually bear the brunt of the day; nor yet for those others who always profess that they would like to take action, if only the conditions of life were not exactly what they actually are. The man who does nothing cuts the same sordid figure in the pages of history, whether he be a cynic, or fop, or voluptuary. There is little use for the being whose tepid soul knows nothing of great and generous emotion, of the high pride, the stern belief, the lofty enthusiasm, of the men who quell the storm and ride the thunder. Well for these men if they succeed; well also, though not so well, if they fail, given only that they have nobly ventured, and have put forth all their heart and strength. It is war-worn Hotspur, spent with hard fighting, he of the many errors and valiant end, over whose memory we love to linger, not over the memory of the young lord who "but for the vile guns would have been a valiant soldier."

Suck it up you weak-kneed hippie; stop whining about the failures of those who live as few men would dare to dream and go quell the storms and ride the thunder like a real man! :black101:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
That's my new life motto: quell the storm and ride the thunder!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Teddy shot pretty much everything that moved but in every other way he owned.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

1stGear posted:

Teddy shot pretty much everything that moved but in every other way he owned.

He once took his rich and famous benefactors out for some 'scientific investigation' in Africa and brought back half the loving Serengeti. The amount of corpses he shipped back was so obscene that it caused a fuss even at the time, before PETA and animal rights were a thing. He responded with something like, "You can't condemn me without condemning (a bunch of national museums and taxonomical scientific institutions)." This was because they had used some of the literal tons of samples he brought back for display or scientific purposes. That is such a hosed up thing to say on so many levels that it completely flabbergasts me.

I find one particular photo from that expedition particularly barbaric. It's nothing fancy, just Teddy standing next to a downed elephant. gently caress YOU. rear end in a top hat. Murder/plunder your way through your own god damned country, at least. The smug indifference to the local environment and its people pisses me off. It reeks of imperialism and white man's burden. Besides, Teddy looked WAY too much like a walrus to get a pass for being careless with the lives of wild animals.

I don't particularly blame or hate him for this of course. We're all products of our environments. Expecting people in the past to have adhered to current morals and mores is silly. It is an uncomfortable look in the cultural mirror though, particularly because some people want us to return to a "better" time, and this kind of irresponsibility is a perfect example of the baggage that goes with the kind of mindset those people are wishing for. Clearly it isn't something we can afford to return to in the newly globalizing world.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Sir Rolo posted:

Here's the week in LL101:

Here are a bunch of numbers and figures I made up.

Those poor...oppressed fast food restaurants? I don't get it. How is this liberal logic? It's not even conservative doublespeak.

Also, I can't remember the last time someone bombed a fast food restaurant because they're anti-whopper.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Did you know that it's easier to shut down a restaurant than a clinic? How shocking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RADIOHEADISGOD
Sep 29, 2005
wtf mate?
A conservative friend (pretty much the only one I have left on facebook) posted this. I'm really starting to question her grip on reality.

Don't read if you haven't seen the new Star Trek movie

quote:

After seeing the latest Star Trek, I know how we can defeat our enemies. DUDE WE NEED KHAN. We need a person who is not willing to rationalize the enemy. We need a person who is willing to kick behind and take names and not be afraid to answer to anyone. We need Khan in the White House. We need Khan in our schools. We need Khan at our borders. Anytime we deal with crazy folks...we need KHAN. Khan explained to the ridiculously sexy James T. Kirk what his flaw was -- he has a conscience, thus he did not have what it took to effectively fight a savage enemy. Think about it folks. We rationalize our crazy folks in society and we try to "play nice." We need Khan. ~ This message is approved for the Khan 2016 campaign.