Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

New (to me) bike doing what it does best.

Great shot. What swayed you to the DRZ from the WR in the end?

Also my offer to swap plastics stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

ought ten posted:

Great shot. What swayed you to the DRZ from the WR in the end?

Also my offer to swap plastics stands.

Thanks! I decided it was more important to me that the bike had some go, and the mods on the DRZ appealed to me (even the skulls grew on me, sorry man!:v:) It's got an aftermarket pipe that is stupid loud and backfires on decel like a machinegun, and 50/50 aftermarket rubber that's kinda nice. The WR was bone stock where the DRZ had a ton of character. I figure when it comes time I will spend the money to mod the suspension, which was the one area I felt the DRZ really lost ground to the WR.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Sounds like you made the right choice, but I'm sorry to hear your taste is as bad as mine.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Yeeeeah.

It's getting hot in here, so take off all your... bikes?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yeeeeah.

It's getting hot in here, so take off all your... bikes?

gently caress you guy.

Jealousy aside beautiful bike, nice collection.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Window washers were here at work, so I had to move out of my usual spot.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

Window washers were here at work, so I had to move out of my usual spot.

New usual spot.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

New usual spot.

I liked the big kickstand pad, but I think the property manager would get mad at me.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

What does it say about me that my first thought was "oh cool he wrapped the odometer" and only second was "wait poo poo it's a ktm how in the hell?"

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Ain't nobody dope as me....

I've also been meaning to share my buddy's dad's Oldwing that he fixed up. He bought it naked and brown and not running, cleaned up or replaced most of the fairings, added on the luggage and arm rests then painted it himself. I think he said he had a couple more fairing pieces for the front that hide the motor and now he needs to paint them as well. I took these pics a few drinks in at a party and at dusk. They suck, so I need to go take a few when it's nice and bright out so I can at least get decent phone pics.

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music

Sorry, I might have got some drool on your bike. I was at Lelles this friday to pick up a set of oil filters for my 640 and I remember seeing a 690 parked in that spot.

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
Bought my first bike this week after getting my learners licence a couple of weeks ago.

2012 Yamaha R15.

Trailered it home this afternoon.

I wanted to ride it but I was told 40km worth of peak hour traffic probably wouldn't have been good for its first ride. So I rode it around town in the dark and put 100km on it after trailering it home. I absolutely love the bike. I think I'm hooked.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

FluffyDice posted:

Bought my first bike this week after getting my learners licence a couple of weeks ago.

2012 Yamaha R15.

Trailered it home this afternoon.

I wanted to ride it but I was told 40km worth of peak hour traffic probably wouldn't have been good for its first ride. So I rode it around town in the dark and put 100km on it after trailering it home. I absolutely love the bike. I think I'm hooked.

When I bought my first bike I picked it up from the PO in the middle of Sydney AND, at 4pm, on a Friday afternoon. My house is only about 5km from there but needless to say out was one of the more terrifying rides I've ever done.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Aargh posted:

When I bought my first bike I picked it up from the PO in the middle of Sydney AND, at 4pm, on a Friday afternoon. My house is only about 5km from there but needless to say out was one of the more terrifying rides I've ever done.

I imagine it's because of engine break-in interval rather than rider inexperience.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Rented for the weekend. It's the un-Supermoto.

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro
Guys I just spent quite a bit of money.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

deliverator posted:

Guys I just spent quite a bit of money.

Very nice.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
You spent it on something that deserves having money spent on it.

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro
I wish I had some real riding impressions to offer but the technicians were adamant about obeying the break-in process so I'm still doing my best to keep it on a tight leash. I can say that the lighter forged wheels have a definite improvement for turn-in and handling.

The fender's coming off, of course... the antler mirrors will be replaced by bar-end mirrors... and once I figure out a decent relocation for the turn signals, those side fairings will go away. I don't care how cool carbon fiber is.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Rented for the weekend. It's the un-Supermoto.

Please tell me it's everything I hope it is. :allears:

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 28, 2019

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Please tell me it's everything I hope it is. :allears:

Jose Pointero posted:

Yes, please do. I've liked Goldwings ever since I was a kid. Do you have a Gopro cam?

No Gopro, sadly. It's remarkably sprightly for a 900 lb bike. Like, I can't lean it against my leg and stand up like I can with my dualsports, but once I get going, it's really well behaved.

It's also fast, and, like, effortlessly so. I scared myself at 3/4 throttle in first gear; I could definitely see it lifting the front wheel. On the Interstate, I was getting up to 80 without really even trying. On my other bikes, maintaining anything above around 70 takes effort, this thing just wants to cruise forever.

The gear selector is wonderful, and neutral is so easy to find. The clutch pull is authoritative, but easy. It handles remarkably well, and never really feels unsettled.

It's really plush. The radio is goofy -- I turned it off and left it off, with the exception of trying to turn the CB radio on (yes, it comes with a built in CB). The dash display tells you when you've left a trunk open (it has three, and they're all controlled with the kind of latch you'd find on an SUV's lift gate). The trunks are a little on the small side -- they're big enough for a lot of stuff, but just slightly too small for my helmet (but big enough for my girlfriend's).

My girlfriend thought it was comfy too. It's a little hard for the pillion passenger to get on -- I had to hold the bike steady while she climbed up, using me as a support.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 25, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

No Gopro, sadly. It's remarkably sprightly for a 900 lb bike. Like, I can't lean it against my leg and stand up like I can with my dualsports, but once I get going, it's really well behaved.

It's also fast, and, like, effortlessly so. I scared myself at 3/4 throttle in first gear; I could definitely see it lifting the front wheel. On the Interstate, I was getting up to 80 without really even trying. On my other bikes, maintaining anything above around 70 takes effort, this thing just wants to cruise forever.

The gear selector is wonderful, and neutral is so easy to find. The clutch pull is authoritative, but easy. It handles remarkably well, and never really feels unsettled.

It's really plush. The radio is goofy -- I turned it off and left it off, with the exception of trying to turn the CB radio on (yes, it comes with a built in CB). The dash display tells you when you've left a trunk open (it has three, and they're all controlled with the kind of latch you'd find on an SUV's lift gate).

My girlfriend thought it was comfy too. It's a little hard for the pillion passenger to get on -- I had to hold the bike steady while she climbed up, using me as a support.

I was always under the impression the passenger is meant to climb on before the rider on bikes like that.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Slavvy posted:

I was always under the impression the passenger is meant to climb on before the rider on bikes like that.

I've never done it this way. I climb on and my wife puts a foot on the passenger peg (kickstand side) and swings her other leg over. I pick the bike up off the kickstand and off we ride.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I've never done it this way. I climb on and my wife puts a foot on the passenger peg (kickstand side) and swings her other leg over. I pick the bike up off the kickstand and off we ride.

My girlfriend found it a lot easier to get on from the right side of the bike, because her left leg is more flexible than her right. It surprised me the first time, but we got better at communicating via the headsets.

She had a lot of fun; the only issue was that her Elsinore boots really started to hurt her feet (like, really really. We had to stop a few times to let the blood get back to her toes). I'm going to have to take them to a cobbler to get the toe box expanded a little bit.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I only say this because I once saw a couple on a big BMW with a topbox and panniers and an armchair-like setup for the pillion. It was basically impossible for the guy's wife to climb on with him already on the bike, she had to sort of scale it from the front like a staircase.

Then they both rocked back and forth in synchronisation to get the thing to fall off the center stand. It was...hilarious.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I honda polished the bike and pulled out the slr for some proper pics.

The contrast was a lot better before I uploaded them, they're a bit darker here but :effort:

M42 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 26, 2013

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
That's a sweet lookin' Ninjette.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I agree. As much as I love my bright-rear end green, that's a nice low-key color that doesn't scream NINJETTE.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Good looking bike!

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
Bike maintenance day!

L-R: VFR750, Duke 690 R, VTR250, TRX850

Not shown: Ten other bikes.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Shouting Melon posted:

Bike maintenance day!

L-R: VFR750, Duke 690 R, VTR250, TRX850

Not shown: Ten other bikes.

What's the Duke like? Someday I'd like to give one a try.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I was going to dismiss that bike as a mere EX250 undeserving of 4 DSLR photos but I realized that even my Ducati doesn't have missiles which can be armed via the ignition switch. Well played.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

What's the Duke like? Someday I'd like to give one a try.

Really upright riding position, if that's your thing. Gobs of power and torque, handles like a dream (there's no strips on the rear tyre of mine), but a bit rubbish for low-speed in-town riding. The -R has adjustable suspension and all the nice stuff from the Powerparts catalogue already on it for not a huge amount more than the standard bike.

See if you can convince a KTM dealer to let you take one for a ride, but have someone hold your wallet while you do so.

Shouting Melon fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 26, 2013

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

What year is that M43? Looks schmick.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Shouting Melon posted:

Really upright riding position, if that's your thing. Gobs of power and torque, handles like a dream (there's no strips on the rear tyre of mine), but a bit rubbish for low-speed in-town riding. The -R has adjustable suspension and all the nice stuff from the Powerparts catalogue already on it for not a huge amount more than the standard bike.

See if you can convince a KTM dealer to let you take one for a ride, but have someone hold your wallet while you do so.

Freaking america, we will never see the R :(

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
Otter Creek Flats Overlook, Blue Ridge Parkway

Only registered members can see post attachments!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Worst overlook ever.

You riding the Blue Ridge now?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

nsaP posted:

Worst overlook ever.

You riding the Blue Ridge now?

No, I'm back home now :(

I was on the road from the 11th to the 22nd. Ran up the Natchez Trace into TN, then rode the Dragon, the Cherohala, and just about everything else in that area that looked fun. After that I shot up to Richmond to see a friend of mine, then took the BRP down for a while before cutting across to hit VA 16 at Marion/Tazewell, then down through Arkansas to Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Couldn't have asked for a nicer day today. Nice and sunny, but still cool enough that I wasn't sweating in my gear.