Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

SHISHKABOB posted:

Hey guys, I think he was just showing us some pictures made by crazy people on the internet, not necessarily endorsing them. Just a hunch.

No one was saying he endorsed it, just that it's a stupid thing to post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I don't think Kat is going to blow up. The hairband was a fairly clear symbolic representation of her frantic public denial phase. Gamma helpfully took that away, both literally and symbolically with a few well-chosen words, and we haven't seen her wearing it since. It would be pretty jarring to see her regress now. (Also, "Huh!" is not a noise someone makes when they're having a fight-or-flight response.)

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Tell me a story with my pudding and tea.

pumpinglemma posted:

(Also, "Huh!" is not a noise someone makes when they're having a fight-or-flight response.)

Yeah; that part in particular made me hope that what Kat is doing is seeing how Paz has been going through exactly the same shame/discovery spiral she has and even if there isn't a mutual attraction there is at least a basis for understanding.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

Yeah; that part in particular made me hope that what Kat is doing is seeing how Paz has been going through exactly the same shame/discovery spiral she has and even if there isn't a mutual attraction there is at least a basis for understanding.

If this somehow manages to veer into Kat shooting her down because she's not into Paz, specifically, as opposed to not being interested other girls, her utter soul-crushing disappointment may be audible from space.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Warmachine posted:

I recall that the Triestise had clues to the progression of the story hidden in them, so upon getting the Friday cliffhanger and seeing parallels to my own life, I decided to consult said Triestise to divine any direction the comic will go in.

:negative:
This is awful. Not awful in the same way as that awful picture is awful, awful as in oh god it suddenly seems full of terrible plausibility.

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

For a while there I wasn't sure whether or not you could read Kat and Paz's combined dialogue along the middle row of panels as a sort of single stream of semi-conciousness or not. But that's probably reaching.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Drakyn posted:

This is awful. Not awful in the same way as that awful picture is awful, awful as in oh god it suddenly seems full of terrible plausibility.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, except for the first treatise, the others summarize the chapters preceeding them. The heart likely refers to how Kat felt about Annie while she was in the forest, sick, or something like that.

Ghost Party
Feb 9, 2013
I really want Kat to get with Paz if only because Paz would appear more often. I really like her character and wish to see more! But I have a feeling it's not going to work out.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Ghost Party posted:

I really want Kat to get with Paz if only because Paz would appear more often. I really like her character and wish to see more! But I have a feeling it's not going to work out.

This for sure. Paz seems really smart and more grounded than the other main characters - see this chapter. I think she'd be a good foil to them.

And also this is all way too cute, Kat had better be nice, etc. etc. :3:

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
I just realized something:
Compare Paz's hairstyle here: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=756 and Kat's here: http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=901
Kat essentially copied Paz's hairstyle- maybe she liked how it looked...

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Mercury Hat posted:

I wouldn't worry about it too much, except for the first treatise, the others summarize the chapters preceeding them. The heart likely refers to how Kat felt about Annie while she was in the forest, sick, or something like that.
I do declare that you have soothed my case of the vapors stupids. No joke, tremendously reassuring.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!
It could also refer to her attempts to deny her feelings.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Would someone like to do an effort post about changing hairstyles? I have a feeling that they are often presented as an indication of a character development. I'd do it but I'm just too busy right now.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

cultureulterior posted:

I just realized something:
Compare Paz's hairstyle here: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=756 and Kat's here: http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=901
Kat essentially copied Paz's hairstyle- maybe she liked how it looked...

Those hairstyles aren't similar at all. Paz is sporting a very short bob, like this, whereas Kat has a kind of pixie type thing going on, a bit like this.

UnbearablyBlight fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 26, 2013

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Kennel posted:

Would someone like to do an effort post about changing hairstyles? I have a feeling that they are often presented as an indication of a character development. I'd do it but I'm just too busy right now.

I'm definitely going to miss a lot of these, so feel free to add more, or offer different interpretations.

The first time we see hairstyle changes in the comic is in Questions and Answers. This chapter immediately follows the events in Broken Glass and Other Things, where Annie lost the barrette she had worn consistently up to that point. It may or may not be of note that said barrette strongly resembles one worn by Anja in the concluding pages of S1. At that point, Annie's barrette and makeup, her only distinguishing accessories to her uniform, had been worn together. It has been suggested in the past that her makeup serves as a protective mask, or alternatively as a way to connect to her late mother who wore her makeup in the same way. By losing her barrette, it is possible that Annie has chipped her mask, or lost some connection to her mother, or both.

Kat also wears a new hairstyle for that chapter. When she builds her anti-grav ship, she starts sporting a sweet mad scientist look, accentuated by her pilot's goggles. I like to think she mussed up her hair while working, and caught a glimpse of herself in a mirror later that night, decided it looked awesome, and styled it that way intentionally from then on. She states that night had been the first time she knew the feeling of losing someone close to her, so her new hairstyle represents her new knowledge of the stakes of friendship.

Next, Red has an entire chapter devoted to her haircut. She goes from a relatively "human" looking hairdo to one that resembles her look when she had her old fairy body, in an effort to embrace her fairy roots, and reflecting a very blatant resistance to adaptation to her new life as a student.

In the same chapter, Kat also gets a trim from her summer look to one very similar to the style she had before summer break. She's going back to school, back to the way things were before she left. Annie's hair didn't really change much, as she had never left.

Around that time, Eglamore starts to grow his hair out, after it had been "a while" but we really don't know how long ago. Something has changed for him. Is it Surma coming back in the form of Annie, reminding him of his youth? Perhaps.

Later, Kat starts growing her hair out. Aside from Tom's comments, I hadn't actually noticed it until around Blinking, but it's certainly associated with her then-new robot project. Perhaps it's a reflection of her creativity unleashing, or maybe she's just too busy to take a trip into the city to get a haircut. Either way, after Sky Watcher and the Angel, she finds herself disenchanted with the Court itself, and even rejects the robots that love her so. I refered to this, even at the time as the Long-Haired Grumpy Kat phase. She grows her hair out until A Bad Start, where, with the help of Bobby, Paz, and a special appearance by City Face, she decides to accept the Court even despite all its flaws, and go back to her work with a fresh perspective. On her way back, she stops for a haircut, reverting back to her old "Mad Scientist" look. It's tempting to say that this is a sign of her going back to her old Short-Haired Happy Kat self from before, but that would erase everything she had been through in the past few months. Needless to say, she really did grow, learning so much about the Court and herself. However, on the outside, she's back to her old self for the most part.

At the same time, (and I only remembered this because when I was looking for a "Long-Haired Grumpy Kat" example I was reminded that Jack existed. Remember that guy?) in Power Station, Jack is a cute, charismatic science whiz who flirts with Kat. Look at him with his short, clean-cut look. Later, by Spring Heeled, his hair is totally Zimmified, shaggy with spidery fangs reaching down to his face. Even after he's gotten better in Faraway Morning, he keeps the shagginess, and more pronounced spider fang bangs. Obviously, the spider left its trace on him.

The next summer, Annie spends some time in the forest. She comes back with a new hippie look, and longer hair she tends to tie back. This accompanies a new flaunting the system attitude, also presumably a side effect of spending lots of time with Coyote and his crew. I couldn't find a definite pattern for when she wears it tied up and when she wears it down, but I can tell you that when she's officially present at the Medium appointments, it looks like she's wearing the forest twigs in her hair, revealing her allegiance to the forest.

Also in From the Forest She Came, Kat comes back with a new haircut. She demonstrates in that chapter that she's a bit worn out with being Annie's friend, what with all the etheric/emotional shenanigans, which can be rough on a girl. She's ready for a change, and starts with her hair. She eventually gives in, but still sports the new look representing another step in their friendship.

When the Paz awkwardness occurs, Kat starts wearing a headband, presumably to pull off a more feminine look. Zimmy and Gamma call her out on this and she ditches it, but she's still growing her hair longer, so by this chapter it's possible that she's not entirely over all the insecurities that naturally arise in pubescent kids.

I just wrote way too many words about hair.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Can someone explain what's up with Annie's eyes when she starts sporting the hippy look? I think it's supposed to be some nature eyeliner or something, but I can't help but see it as her not having slept for a week. Kinda makes her look like a drug addict.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Jack's spider fang hair :psyduck: Was that intentional?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
This last comic was all kinds of :3: and :ohdear:, until I reached the last panel and it became :gonk:
Something unspeakably wrong happened to Paz's hand, I wouldn't blame Kat if she ran the hell away now.

fake edit: figured it out, the hand's been possessed by an evil elephant spirit.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
drat that's a fine elephant

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Can someone explain what's up with Annie's eyes when she starts sporting the hippy look? I think it's supposed to be some nature eyeliner or something, but I can't help but see it as her not having slept for a week. Kinda makes her look like a drug addict.
I would be hard pressed to sleep anywhere near Coyote.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
What's wrong with her hand? The fingers seems short because they're curled slightly.That was my interpretation at least.

AntimatterSpork
Apr 23, 2008

Modéré, je vous prie.

Wittgen posted:

What's wrong with her hand? The fingers seems short because they're curled slightly.That was my interpretation at least.

from the way the rest of the hand is drawn it looks to me like the thumb is in a really odd position. idk its not that big of a deal hands are hard

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I can see that, but when I put my hand in that position and curl my fingers, it looks similar. I think the issue is that Kat's hand blocks where Paz's fingers are curling. Maybe? Either way, thanks for the elephant photoshop. That picture is funny.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I figured that Jack's spiderfang-bangs were intentional v:shobon:v

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Oh my God this is adorable.

http://twitpic.com/ctc9h9

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Spikey posted:

Thank God, a distraction!

Wanna pet those puppies so bad :3:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Spikey posted:

Even as puppies, Coyote had Crazy Eyes and Renard just looked bored and aggravated. :3:

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
So did anyone else visit the Gunnerkrigg stall at MCM Expo? I just got back, and while there had a nice chat with Tom and put down £10 on a signed print of Coyote, and a small comic not available online:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Razakai posted:

So did anyone else visit the Gunnerkrigg stall at MCM Expo? I just got back, and while there had a nice chat with Tom and put down £10 on a signed print of Coyote, and a small comic not available online:

God drat I'm jealous of you and that print. What else was available there?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Razakai posted:

Jesus that's a great poster.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Jesus that's a great poster.
Are you talking about Razakai or the one Tom made? :v:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

AE-35 Unit posted:

BudBill Bailey would happily remind you that there are actually 4 people in the classic pub joke, the 4th being a Welshman who's been there the entire time but simply says "hello" at the beginning and takes no further part in the routine. :colbert:
Good to see Rob Brydon getting work.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Zemyla posted:

Are you talking about Razakai or the one Tom made? :v:

I knew this joke would happen when I posted but I was too lazy to edit! :argh:

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Razakai posted:

Oh my god, that print is amazing. I'd love to buy one of those.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Olivia42 posted:

Thanks for the effort :tipshat:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, if he puts those up for grabs online I'm buying one.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Olivia42 posted:

Thank you for reading this chapter writing a large post about girls getting haircuts.

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

Olivia42 posted:

Well it was an interesting read and frankly women DO often change their hairstyles during emotional crises. I know I did. When I was preparing to end my marriage one of the things I had an urge to do was get my very long hair cut quite short up to my chin and I didn't equate it with cutting ties and letting go of dead weight until later on.

To take the hair/GKC thing even further; Jones. The unchanging, undying character who could not cut her hair even if she wanted to.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

TenKindsOfCrazy posted:

Well it was an interesting read and frankly women DO often change their hairstyles during emotional crises. I know I did. When I was preparing to end my marriage one of the things I had an urge to do was get my very long hair cut quite short up to my chin and I didn't equate it with cutting ties and letting go of dead weight until later on.

To take the hair/GKC thing even further; Jones. The unchanging, undying character who could not cut her hair even if she wanted to.

But if I recall correctly, she can style it. It was wilder in mammoth days, right?

TenKindsOfCrazy
Aug 11, 2010

VanSandman posted:

But if I recall correctly, she can style it. It was wilder in mammoth days, right?

Yeah, she does style it. I'd be interested to know how she got it to hold a curl during the Rome thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Don't know if it's been discussed, but I wonder if Coyote's fang can harm Jones (I'm guessing it can't since she doesn't seem afraid of him), or if Reynardine could use his power on her (again, my personal guess is no)

Well, I read the whole of Gunnerkrigg Court this weekend and... wow, it made the wait for Monday even worse, heh. I can't believe Tom Siddell has actually managed to make me look forward to mondays. This comic, I tells ya!