Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Ok so Slung Blade is looking for a project car apparently and this guy near us is being forced by new ordnances and nosy neighbors to clear out his stock of project cars. We went and took a look - a lot of the cheap stuff is gone, a lot of the expensive stuff isn't, so what was left and what we can afford ended up being the weird stuff. I took cameraphone pictures where appropriate, but I missed taking pictures of some nice stuff like the amazing Challenger R/T and Ferrari 308 that the owner had stored indoors.

Of particular AI interest is this Mercedes with Twin Tires. This guy was actually one of the Canadian distributors for the invention and he had a handful of new tires for this system and a bunch of wheels left over. This particular wheel was made by Speedline but they also subcontracted to Enkei from what he told us.

Amerigoons who are less liberal than 'Blade and I will be interested to hear that he had Ronald Reagan's governorship limousine on the premises. It was pretty beat up but seemed fairly authentic. Apparently he is thinking of listing it on BaT.

This old Ford towtruck is incredible. The cab and paint were left mostly intact, and a new chassis was jammed underneath complete with brand new tow gear. The interior was restored as well, with some Dynamat and new carpets. Note that the truck is not actually a manual transmission.

We came to look at a few cars. This '75 Nova was one of them. Its little six fired right up with some starting fluid and a boost - the battery was basically done for. Sounded healthy and had the old Mopar NOT MOPAR WHO SAID THAT rasp.

The quarters were pretty gross but nothing that can't be fixed. The sills were also pretty gross. The primary obstacle to picking this one up will be caring enough about a smog era Nova.

Sills:

The buttal region:

We didn't come to see it, but I think this is what Slung Blade and I wanted most in all the world after we saw and heard it. This is a Plymouth Satellite with a 440 swap. Behind it is a Coronet with a "Coronet 440" badge and a 318.

Someone took all the badges off but most of them were still around.

More butts, please:

In profile you start to appreciate how god damned huge this ridiculous car is.

Here's where the problems start. Both rear quarters have been Bondo'd to hell and back.

The interior - with buckets, I've never seen buckets on a Satellite before! - is clearly intended to be some kind of long forgotten race car project from a previous owner.

The bondo is worse on the driver's side.

There was also this cool handbuilt hod rod for sale with a Corvette 427 in it. None of this thing was fiberglass - all actual steel! I have a lot of appreciation for whoever was able to craft this.

Here's a familiar sight for die hard AIers - a Ford Thames van.

Check out the fatty rear tires:

I forgot that doors open and tried to take a picture through the drivers' side window here.

I don't remember what this was but it was beautiful. It sat next to two Laurentians and a Humber. There was also a Meteor Ranchwagon. I was too overwhelmed by patriotism to take pictures of those. :canada:

What I came to look at was his '59 Renault Dauphine Gordini (nice, but rusted and the interior was pretty worn), collection of Sunbeam Alpine GTs, and a 1975 Jaguar XJC with a 350 Chevy swap which was too much of a project for me to take on and which I will regret not buying until the day I die.

The owner was super AI. Very chill, relaxed, story for every car. He said that he preferred to collect weird and rare cars rather than cars that might fetch a lot of value someday, and that he definitely prefers driving cars to letting them sit like this. Serial entrepreneur - through his various automotive-related jobs he estimated to us that he's bought and sold over eight thousand cars. I have a new role model.

So that's our trip in a nutshell there. I'll try to take more pictures when we go back to get a car for Slung Blade.

The dude was awesome, I loved listening to him talk about his vehicles.

I need to see what's up with my property tax this year, and see if we can't go back and make a deal on either that Satellite or the Coronet behind it.

He had a 72 duster that I was more interested in before we went there, but it already moved up to Drumheller so I didn't get a chance to see it. The Coronet and the Satellite kinda stole the show for me.

And yeah, the challenger was loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Krakkles posted:

:crossarms:

More of my uncle's toys:

I think if you go back and look at my post you incorrectly quoted it somehow. :ninja:

We need to buy that Satellite.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Of particular AI interest is this Mercedes with Twin Tires. This guy was actually one of the Canadian distributors for the invention and he had a handful of new tires for this system and a bunch of wheels left over. This particular wheel was made by Speedline but they also subcontracted to Enkei from what he told us.

Is there more information about these? What's the point?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
More local C&C stuff

SRT representing. After both of these guys left a dude in a SRT4 Neon showed up, also black. Would've loved to have gotten a pic of all three.

This wasn't even half of the INI (Indiana Nissan Infinity) members that showed up that day.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

Lightbulb Out posted:

One tire gets a nail, you can still drive home? :confused:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Lightbulb Out posted:

He had a bunch of brochures and company information and the like which I told him he should scan in and put on the internet.

From what I understand the primary benefits are:
  • Redundant tires on each corner - a "runflat" system that actually worked
  • Less likely to hydroplane because of narrower tires and the centre "aqua channel"
  • Brakes are cooled better (the centre section of each wheel was vented, allowing air to penetrate the tire)
  • Better aero (tires are run with low pressure - under 22psi, he said - so there's a lot of places for air to go instead of smacking the tread. He was pretty excited to hear about the Deltawing's success with narrower front tires.
  • Presumably better low-speed/high-angle cornering (such as in autocross) as you have twice as much sidewall to roll onto
  • Cheaper tires, I guess.

Apparently the police in Florida and Texas were very interested in purchasing them as soon as they could provide a steelie that would work for cop work. Their primary concerns were reducing hydroplaning (from flash flooding) and durability of tires after some guy shoots one out.

They went to Pikes Peak where their drivers reported they felt a little weird but were otherwise fine.

Here's a guy unmounting and remounting a set:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp2XM_Yocug

Honestly I was just surprised to see 'em in person.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 20, 2013

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Is there an ad for this anywhere? I'd love to see what he wants for the Reaganmobile.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Das Volk posted:

Is there an ad for this anywhere? I'd love to see what he wants for the Reaganmobile.

$9500 Canadian for the Lincoln according to the email he sent me.

I gotta warn you though, it's not in the best of shape. Some limo company got a hold of it and abused it like any other limo for a few years.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I just remembered this and realized it's pretty AI: Seattle police keep a 1970 Plymouth Satellite on the road and working regularly. I'll see it every once in a while.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M60 in a hot rod is one of my private wet-dreams and I'm glad at least one other person exists who feels the same way.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

This was built and shown at Bimmerfest by Mike Burroughs, creator of Rusty Slammington:

... and this lovely E9:

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 21, 2013

radikewlism
Jan 4, 2007
Went to the local Porsche dealership for their unveiling of the new cayman. We have all seen that but I thought these guys in the parking lot were the prettiest.

I liked the way the Porsche sign here

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Larger:

Can't find any larger than that :(

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

radikewlism posted:

I liked the way the Porsche sign here

I wonder if that guy can't wait for the new PDK GT3.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

This is it, folks, this is when rat rods officially jumped the shark.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
That's not a rat rod and IMO it's pretty rad. Definitely something more unique than the usual hotrod recipe. Then again I've always been a fan of Mike's cars.
Does he still own that e9?

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Just remembered what thread I'm posting snarky comments in. Here, have a nice looking M1, yours for only 285k.

Also that M60 car is pretty cool and please don't sperg out over rat rods, thanks.

Moxie Omen fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 21, 2013

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Is this at M-Fest or something? That's a lot of alpineweiss in the background.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I only just noticed that the wheels are old BBS wirespokes. Nice touch.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

Das Volk posted:

I believe it's a a lot near Bimmerfest, which took place this past weekend.

I'm a bit excited if that's what stance(cock)works has been up recently, as it won't garnish much attention.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Slung Blade posted:

I need to see what's up with my property tax this year, and see if we can't go back and make a deal on either that Satellite or the Coronet behind it.

gently caress, what am I doing???

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You're doing the right thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The rightest thing.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Das Volk posted:

Irvine when the San Diego group joined up with the OC group before driving to Pasadena. Everyone parked by color.

There were more alpine whites than all other combined IIRC.

Also:

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 22, 2013

Dakotaboy88
Apr 28, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

gently caress, what am I doing???

Good lord, that Coronet is sweet! Looks like it barely needs more than a little paint.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Steve French posted:

and a bonus motorcycle with bonus cylinders (photo taken by a passenger, not me while driving):

It look veeeerrry squirrely on the highway.

That's a Boss Hoss. My uncle has that same one.

I'm pretty sure you all are familiar with this blog... but just in case:
http://www.oldparkedcars.com/

And now that goodoldvalves is done, I can finally catch up.
http://goodoldvalves.tumblr.com/

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 22, 2013

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Buddy in the local Volvo club runs this car. Bagged, turbo converted, grabs a lot of attention.

Filthy Luker
Aug 4, 2002
Holy poo poo the thing is tiny! (Found it parked outside my office today)

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Filthy Luker posted:

Holy poo poo the thing is tiny! (Found it parked outside my office today)

Hah! That '93 Beat used to live in Liberty Village, and I know the previous owner. (who originally imported it) Nice to see it still being used, it's a peach! (also nice to see that the license plate has been retained, I still love that detail)

That's a Japanese Kei car, if you don't know what it is. There's tons of 'em over here in GLORIOUS NIPPON and they're not nearly as expensive or hard to import as you'd think. They certainly have no troubles passing emissions.

Have some more Japanese goodness, photo taken by myself. A photo dump from the Toyota showroom and museum outside Nagoya will come along shortly:

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I know I'm a fanboy, but black looks so good when it's this clean. (click for bigger)

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

BoostCreep posted:

I know I'm a fanboy, but black looks so good when it's this clean. (click for bigger)

I love that DSM. So clean.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
So you folks remember the Sloppy Mechanics Fairmont with the turbocharged GM 5.3? Well, denmah has moved on.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

SyHopeful posted:

So you folks remember the Sloppy Mechanics Fairmont with the turbocharged GM 5.3? Well, denmah has moved on.

I love it. Just a piece of crap work truck with some redneck ingenuity strapped to it.

To contribute:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I just want to show you guys the interior of that coronet I bought.

I mean, gently caress, it's amazing.

The engine bay's not bad either.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That is drat beautiful. I love those thin plastic and metal steering wheels.!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I love old Mopars, nice find!

But anyways, remember "Unsafe at any speed"? I think this qualifies.

Audi V8 of all engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
There's one on youtube in an AW11 that sounds gorgeous.