Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

KoA:R is still dull as hell, though. It's relentlessly easy, the world map is far larger than it ought to be, the combat starts off interesting but never really changes. If anything I like the aesthetics, the sort of bright coloured fantasy setting rather than a sea of browns, but it's still really not worth picking up unless you can get it dirt, dirt cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bogmonster posted:

I'm going to get either Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning or Two Worlds II soon, any advice for these? Or are they both shite and I shouldn't bother?

KoA:R is generic to the point of hilarity, and while it's really easy, it also has pretty good combat with pseudo-action game controls. I put 30 hours into it and mostly stopped because I was unable to play it for a couple months (broken computer) and didn't care enough to pick it back up. Stick to main quests and guild quests, and try not to overlevel too much and it's a solid budget game.

Two Worlds II felt like a distillation of everything I find irritating and tedious in RPGs. I played maybe 5-8 hours before quitting because the game was giving me a massive headache & nausea.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Bogmonster posted:

I'm going to get either Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning or Two Worlds II soon, any advice for these? Or are they both shite and I shouldn't bother?

Confirming that Kingdoms of Amalur is the most boring RPG I've ever played. It looks good and has pretty neat combat, but is piss easy, with respawning enemies so tedium never ends, with the most generic and forgettable characters I've ever seen, and the story is just random :words: upon :words: upon :words: from [I'd imagine] some deviantart chick with verbal diarrhea. The game engine, art and mechanics had potential, but bad game design wasted it.

Haven't played Two Worlds II yet.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

pigdog posted:

Confirming that Kingdoms of Amalur is the most boring RPG I've ever played. It looks good and has pretty neat combat, but is piss easy, with respawning enemies so tedium never ends, with the most generic and forgettable characters I've ever seen, and the story is just random :words: upon :words: upon :words: from [I'd imagine] some deviantart chick with verbal diarrhea. The game engine, art and mechanics had potential, but bad game design wasted it.

Haven't played Two Worlds II yet.

Two Worlds II has all of the flaws of KoA you mentioned, with lovely gameplay on top of it. I think you can just watch some youtube videos of the gameplay for an idea of what you're in for with that one.

It's maaaaaybe worth a shot if you can buy it for like $5 on Steam like I did, but you shouldn't pay double-digits for it.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

poptart_fairy posted:

Anything for Hitman: Absolution? Already a few levels into it, just completed the one with the hippies, but I might be missing something you never know.

Unlike Blood Money, disguises are no free passes to enter restricted areas, as people look through disguises much faster. So try to stay out of line of sight even when disguised and use hiding spots where you interact with an object.

If you cannot stealth through a section there is nothing wrong with using brute force. Most of the time, it will only attract enemies within earshot and not half the map.

Knocking out civilians and hiding the unconscious bodies is point neutral.

If you just crouch behind an object, enemies might still see you. To take cover, use the stick to cover function to be actively leaning against the object.

If you only need to pass small restricted area, you can dash through. You will get a trespassing warning, but if you are out of it fast enough, enemies will not resort to lethal force.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Ainsley McTree posted:

Two Worlds II has all of the flaws of KoA you mentioned, with lovely gameplay on top of it. I think you can just watch some youtube videos of the gameplay for an idea of what you're in for with that one.

It's maaaaaybe worth a shot if you can buy it for like $5 on Steam like I did, but you shouldn't pay double-digits for it.

I actually have Two Words 2 in my Steam library since the winter sale, but never got around to installing it. :ohdear:

Anyhow, to answer the original question, surely the choice can't be either-or between these two. If anything, try the Game of Thrones RPG instead; noone played it, but it's got the important things right and is what I feel was a solid deal from the same Steam sale.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Spuzzz posted:

I picked up a copy of Infinite Space. Anything to watch for? I heard they released tutorial videos to show you how to play it, anyone have those?
edit: i knew i posted about this before

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Someone asked about Infinite Space a while back.

• Save often.

• Pay attention to who you've got assigned to what job; each character has at least one special skill/attribute that makes them proficient at something. That said, don't be afraid to pick where they go by looking at their stats rather than their specials. They don't always match.

• Get a goddamn notebook (or, an Excel file if you're an ubernerd like me :coal:) and write poo poo down. Take notes on where to buy things, names of planets in systems, etc. There's a lot of back-and-forth in this game and even just three hours in, you might forget where [random planet X] is when someone tells you to go there. Also, write down quest information as sometimes the quest-giver won't repeat what he told you and then you get to fly around all of creation looking for [random object x].

• Your crew will always start a fight against multiple ships with any ship targeted but the front one. If you're ever in a situation in which you're always loving missing, you've forgotten to check your targets.

• I know it's been mentioned before, but the dodge command rocks. There's nothing better than seeing a barrage coming and having time to tap the button, causing the enemy's shots to sail past you hilariously while you pop your knuckles in preparation for your own attack.

• You will likely acquire the carrier blueprint before getting the hangar part. Don't build a carrier until you get that hangar! I did this and was pretty pissed off to have a gimped ship lagging me down.

• :yoshi:

• This game was hyped-up and then promptly forgotten about when its release date kept getting pushed back, so there's not a lot of info to be seen online about it. You can PM me with questions and I'll try to help out.

edit: Jesus Christ, how could I have forgotten to mention weapon ranges? Each weapon you have has a range--this is really, really important. During battle, while you're trying to 'splode the enemies, take a gander at the range indicator for each of your weapons. I ignored these indicators for quite a while and wondered why I couldn't destroy anything :( They'll turn blue if your target is in range. Whichever weapons are in range are the ones that fire, so make sure you're close enough/far enough away for all your guns to work!

GOTTA STAY FAI fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 24, 2013

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Spuzzz posted:

I picked up a copy of Infinite Space. Anything to watch for? I heard they released tutorial videos to show you how to play it, anyone have those?

They're on Platinum's website.Look for the videos with the 'chibi' characters:
http://platinumgames.com/games/infinite-space/

I should really add all my tips to the wiki.

-NO MERCY! NO MERCY! NO MERCY!
-Contrary to what people say, carriers only become amazing in the second half of the game. Get two Borodino as soon as you can. You can make your third ship a carrier though. Replace it with the Lykourgos when you get to that point.
-Pay attention to the outline of the enemy's ship. If it changes from red to yellow, and they didn't attack, that means that they went into Dodge.
-Dodge completely avoids the damage from barrages and specials. But beware, normal attacks gently caress you up.
-Don't equip anyone in the "head" slots of your crew until you have enough party members. What I mean is that if you want a character to become a navigator, make him an assistant navigator instead. Why? Because :spergin: When the head slot of a tree is empty, the game takes Yuri's respective stat. If it's filled with a character, it takes this character's stat instead. If you make a character the subordinate, their stat will ADD ON to Yuri's, giving you a bigger boost.:spergin: A moot point in the latter part of the game, but IMMENSELY helpful in the beginning.

Any tips for Inotia III and IV? I can already tell that I need to plan my party builds in advance or it's real world money time. I have a low-level templar in 3 and didn't start 4 yet. Restarting 3 is totally an option at this point.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 24, 2013

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Endless Space

I would say that like a Suikoden game, there's no real shame in looking at a FAQ for the characters, especially for extremely useful characters like HELP. But unlike Suikoden, there's no real payoff in the end.

The game is not terribly fun, but the story and characters were intriguing enough to keep going.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

theshim posted:

Anything for Orcs Must Die 2? I did not play the first, sadly.
I don't think this very basic advice is on the wiki, and it takes (or at least took me) a while to figure out:
Killing Orcs with a bunch of different damage sources at once generates combos, which translate into money, which translate into more traps. Stringing traps along a length of corridor or whatever is actually the least optimal strategy.

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
Also different types of status effects will add to a combo, so slows, chill, freezing, bleeding, burning and stuns. Your weapon damage also counts I think. For good results upgrade things like spikes to add bleeding, arrow walls to add burning, chilling traps to freeze etc.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Endless Space

I would say that like a Suikoden game, there's no real shame in looking at a FAQ for the characters, especially for extremely useful characters like HELP. But unlike Suikoden, there's no real payoff in the end.

The game is not terribly fun, but the story and characters were intriguing enough to keep going.

You should use an FAQ because some of the requirements are loving arcane.
There is immediate payoff because you have another dude to shove on your active crew, which gets you more numbers. This is EXTREMELY important when you're just starting out, whether it's to make the fatigue gauge stop rising so drat quickly or to make your attacks miss less.

And the game is fun, but only after the halfway point, when you get your super customizable ships (The Junkyard :swoon:) and you stop being blown up by bosses. Just starting out in Infinite Space sucks.

Speaking of bosses, contrary to what you might think, they follow the same rules you do. Their attacks have maximum and minimum range just like yours do. Since many bosses use lasers, and lasers are long range weapons, you'd be better off using missiles and parking right in the boss' grill.
This makes one boss in particular, a certain fortress, a complete joke.
Note that you should still use dodge, because Special attacks have no range requirement and can hit you anywhere.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

poptart_fairy posted:

Anything for Hitman: Absolution? Already a few levels into it, just completed the one with the hippies, but I might be missing something you never know.

RillAkBea posted:

What I like to do is just run around a level like a madman, trying to find all the important spots and passages before I attempt it for real. As long as you don't activate any checkpoints you score will be back to zero when you restart.

That said unless you're going for a perfect no-kills, suit-only, unspotted run, there are a lot of things you can do without damaging your score too much, for example: Headshot + Body Hidden - Non-Target Kill = 0 points.

As far as instinct goes, unless you're going suit-only, it's best to save it for that move that disguises you unconditionally.

In addition to RillAkBea and Randler above:

-Don't try for a perfect the first time through. You'll gain upgraded abilities as you play through the game (more instinct, accuracy, etc), which will make sneaking around much easier when you replay them.

-This goes double for a certain level where one of your options for completing it involves a time limit. That level is Birdie's Gift (the gun range)

-If a level is heavily populated by guards, and you don't need to trespass into guard only areas, try to find a disguise the guards won't find familiar. It's good to be in the minority in this game since you don't want to be identified.

-If a level only has one disguise option, put it on and continue to move around as if you were sneaking. This will save some instinct meter for later. Enemies might notice and tell you to "stand up straight/cut it out", but you can break line of sight and they will return to their patrol.

-As Randler said, attaching to cover really helps breaking line of sight. Beware: Doorways are the only objects that are guaranteed to stop your movement at the edge. Crates will let you slide around the corners without a button prompt.

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
I just got Hotline Miami anything I should know? I played the first level, but it seems more complex than whats on the surface.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Notinghamington posted:

I just got Hotline Miami anything I should know? I played the first level, but it seems more complex than whats on the surface.

Every stage has a tiny, floating purple pixel which I believe is only viewable by wearing the Owl Mask. In order to unlock the secret ending of the game you will need to collect each and every one of these.

Read the newspapers since a lot of people missed out that it takes place in an alternate time-line US.

Prepare to die like crazy due to random variations in the AI's reactions and routines.

When transitioning floors after killing everyone go and find the best weapon avaialble before moving on. Each floor is a checkpoint and you'll always respawn with what you walked in with.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Notinghamington posted:

Use the lock-on. Love the lock-on.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Barudak posted:

Every stage has a tiny, floating purple pixel which I believe is only viewable by wearing the Owl Mask. In order to unlock the secret ending of the game you will need to collect each and every one of these.

The owl mask makes them flash, but you can still find them without it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the Absolution advice, guys! I liked Blood Money but I think this one's much closer to my idea of stealth/elimination. Should hopefully flail a little less now.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Wow. I really took everyone's Mass Effect 2 advice seriously and am finding this game a whole lot more bearable.

Thanks, thread!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Picked up Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D. I didn't play the Wii version but coming from the SNES games the controls are baffling. In the original games if you rolled into an enemy you could continue a roll into a chain combo. Is that at all possible here?

Squirtle Squadee posted:

Wow. I really took everyone's Mass Effect 2 advice seriously and am finding this game a whole lot more bearable.

Thanks, thread!

I played vanguard ME2 which is a lot more confrontational but switched to infiltrator in ME3 and I enjoy it a lot more. ME3 brings back grenades and there's a larger variety of weapons, differences in power, and modifications to make combat more interesting and there are more enemies on screen to deal with compared to ME2's 3-4 guys who strafe around.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

pigdog posted:

The story is the work of fantasy author R.A. Salvatore, who charged Curt Schilling two million dollars to write it. He never got paid.

Matt Bai had an insightful look at the 38 studios trainwreck in the New York Times Magazine about a month ago. It's worth a read.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Dragon's Dogma

I just picked this up on Gamefly, and it seems..Very Japanese. I've heard it's possible to blunder your way into some odd story choices and that the way you build your character physically actually makes a difference, so is there anything I should watch out for?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Polaron posted:

Dragon's Dogma

I just picked this up on Gamefly, and it seems..Very Japanese. I've heard it's possible to blunder your way into some odd story choices and that the way you build your character physically actually makes a difference, so is there anything I should watch out for?
The odd story choices largely come up because of how the game handles relationships and affinities between your protagonist and NPCs, but unless you decide to talk to the same NPC you hate like 50x in a row it's not going to affect anything noticeably. As for build, it boils down to "if you build a small light-framed person there's a few spots they can squeeze into for shortcuts that bigger people can't, if you build a burly giant they'll be a lot harder for flying enemies to pick up and try to huck off of cliffs and stuff."

Whichever you do, though, make your pawn the opposite so you can watch as harpies either effortlessly spirit away your tiny baby mage friend, or struggle under the weight of big fighter man.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Picked up The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing since it's cheap and appeared to be getting pretty solid reviews, as well as Resident Evil 6 because it was cheap on a groupon. Nothing's in the wiki, anything essential to know for those?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

The odd story choices largely come up because of how the game handles relationships and affinities between your protagonist and NPCs, but unless you decide to talk to the same NPC you hate like 50x in a row it's not going to affect anything noticeably. As for build, it boils down to "if you build a small light-framed person there's a few spots they can squeeze into for shortcuts that bigger people can't, if you build a burly giant they'll be a lot harder for flying enemies to pick up and try to huck off of cliffs and stuff."

Whichever you do, though, make your pawn the opposite so you can watch as harpies either effortlessly spirit away your tiny baby mage friend, or struggle under the weight of big fighter man.

There are a lot more differences for weight than that. Heavier characters can carry more, regen stamina slower, use slightly less stamina, are harder to stagger, and can't hold on to enemies as long as lighter characters can. Lighter characters are the opposite. Taller characters can run faster and have longer reach.

I recommend just making whatever you want for your character and making your main pawn super heavy so it can act as a pack mule.

If you want more info the Dragon's Dogma thread is good.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 25, 2013

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Getting a 3DS and Mario3dLand,FE Awakening this week. Anything I should possibly know for those? Probably not much for Mario but for Awakening, I was wondering if there's any non-spoiler things that would help me in the beginning.
For reference, I've played through both FE titles on the GBA and the translated Heroes of Light and Shadow for DS. Never had TOO much trouble with them, wondering what difficulty I should start with for this one, as well (I'm not going for Casual; permadeath or nothin')

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Fire Emblem: Awakening

- If you've never played a Fire Emblem game before, play it on Normal Classic, especially if you plan on playing other games in the series after it. If you have any experience with the series, start with Hard, but just be aware that it uses the rear end in a top hat reinforcement system on Hard and above (enemies can move as soon as they appear), so don't be surprised if you have to restart a mission because you got ganked by something you'd have known was coming had you played Normal first.

- Always, always be paired up. Pairing up grants significant stat boosts, lets you hide squishy units behind stronger ones, and just breaks the game in half in general.

- Unpromoted classes get skills at L1 and 10, promoted classes at L5 and 15.

- Master Seals are used to promote units into an advanced class provided they are at least L10, and are infinitely buyable after Chapter 12. Second Seals allow you to change to a different class of the same "level" (promoted/unpromoted), and are infinitely buyable after Chapter 16 (or one of three sidequests that open up after Chapter 13).

- You should reclass your units if:
1) One of their other classes has a skill you really want (see: Mercenary and Armsthrift, Myrmidon and Vantage, etc.)
2) A unit's base class is awful (see: Archers) or has an otherwise objectively better class (see: Vaike and Fighter -> Barbarian)
3) They have options that they can easily adapt to (like Mage -> Dark Mage, Mercenary -> Myrmidon, etc.)

- You should go directly to L20 and promote if:
1) They have no skills you want in their other classes
2) Their reclass options are terrible (for example, Cherche is a wyvern rider who can change to Cleric and Troubadour)
3) Their new classes would require you to completely start over in weapon ranks and/or change their focus from Strength to Magic or vice versa (see: Ricken going from Mage to Cavalier)

- Much like FE8, you can grind infinitely if you want to. A decent amount of DLC will expect you to be coming in with maxed out (or near-maxed) units, so don't be afraid to keep hopping around classes and leveling up.

- You can have as many A-rank Supports as you want, but only one S-rank. The S-rank is finalized when you view the support, not unlock it.

- Chrom will automatically be married at the end of Chapter 11. Everyone else can be paired up at your leisure.

- You can mixmax the hell out of the game by pairing certain people together and getting certain skills, but it is not required in the least unless you're planning on going to the super hard final DLC map. It helps a bit on Lunatic, but anything below that and you can do whatever you want.

- If you want to get the most bang for your buck with the DLC, you want Lost Bloodlines 2 and Smash Bretheren 2 (new classes), Lost Bloodlines 3 (Paragon skill), Rogues and Redeemers 3 (Limit Breaker skill), and the Golden Pack (maps meant for grinding money, experience, and weapons). Otherwise, feel free to download whatever, almost every piece of DLC has something cool about it.

Artix fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 26, 2013

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Artix posted:

Fire Emblem: Awakening

Great, thanks so much, this should definitely be put in the wiki. The reinforcement thing I was aware of in Heroes of Light and Shadow and hated that poo poo, so maybe I'll just go Normal for the first playthrough.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Xander77 posted:

I don't think this very basic advice is on the wiki, and it takes (or at least took me) a while to figure out:
Killing Orcs with a bunch of different damage sources at once generates combos, which translate into money, which translate into more traps. Stringing traps along a length of corridor or whatever is actually the least optimal strategy.

What sorts of combos are these? I only ever played the first game by doing exactly this and it basically sort-of worked.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mario 3D Land isn't truly finished until you get every star coin, beat every level with both Mario and Luigi, and get a gold flag on every level (only one character has to get gold for it to count).

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
I think the way it works is that the more traps/spells/whatever are affecting an orc on death, the bigger the combo. For example, Tar + Grinder + Clockwork Mace + Ring of Lightning secondary usually wipes out anything going through and racks up a big combo while doing it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Help me out guys, I just got Etrian Odyssey IV. I've played a decent amount of EO3 if that helps, but it's been a long time.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Artix posted:

Help me out guys, I just got Etrian Odyssey IV. I've played a decent amount of EO3 if that helps, but it's been a long time.
Resting only costs two levels now, so it's pretty easy to move stuff around if you don't like your build.

The game is far more generous than the earlier games in the series, for the most part, and nearly any party can make it through. A good starting party should probably have at least one of Nightseeker/Sniper and Medic/Dancer. I ran the party on the game box my first run - Fortress, Landsknecht, Nightseeker, Sniper, Medic, and it stood me in good stead, though you'll want to run the Link skills on your Landsknecht if you go this way for some elemental damage.

Once you get to the second land and gain a few levels, the sheep FOEs on the worldmap are the easiest grinding in the game. The rare mushrooms you can find there will make them rare breeds, which are worth nearly 50k exp a pop.

Nightseekers are decent early on but become the undisputed kings of damage once you start hitting the third tier skills at level 40. In particular, Venom Throw is insanely good, dealing 700 damage per turn when maxed out. Combine that with Auto-Spread and you can one-round virtually all encounters with one shot.

The Runemaster's first set of runes are worth getting to rank 3 if you run one, which will cut down on damage of the appropriate element by a huge amount.

For the first maze, Arm Bind from a Sniper or Blind from a Nightseeker are extremely useful against the FOEs and boss, and it doesn't hurt to have both. Leg Bind and Paralysis are very good in the second maze, and both remain very useful for the whole game.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Artix posted:

Enemies can only have one status effect at a time. Status effects are traditional RPG status like poison, blind, paralyze, but not binds; you can bind all three things and still poison the enemy, for instance.

You get guest characters in several major dungeons; they are pretty much universally perfect for taking on the bosses of those areas, with skillsets designed to take advantage of the gimmick, and their levels should give you a good idea of where you should be to fight the boss.

Subclasses are different from EO3, in that they aren't a full class tacked on to your base class. In EO4, you can only level subclass skills to half of what the max would be if the class were your main, making them feel a lot more like subclasses and less like dual classes.

The game expects you to use binds a lot more than the previous games did, especially starting around the second labyrinth. Remember that while they all prevent skills that use the part of the body you bind, leg bind has the additional effect of making the enemy unable to dodge, since fewer attacks use the legs than the arms or head. Remember this if you find ridiculously evasive enemies, because that's one of the game's favourite tricks. You get easy access to single-target binds on the Sniper class (not the Nightseeker like you would expect, knowing the Ninja and Dark Hunter classes of earlier games), and multi-target binds are on a class you will unlock later.

First Aid is not a lovely skill like it was in the earlier EO games, and is in fact rather useful for the first half or so of the game.

Dancer buffs increase the stats of the dancer's line, but only use a buff slot on the dancer him/herself. This is important, since you can only have three buffs per person.

Don't feel like you need a Fortress to progress in the game. A lot of people really like defensive strategies, but I didn't have one for the entire game because I hate pure tank units, and I did fine. If you have a Medic and are struggling to find units to put on the front line, s/he does surprisingly decent damage due to the high base damage on maces, so don't be afraid to put him/her there, at least until later on in the game.

Try building skills that synergize your units with the rest of the party. For example, my party was based around getting tons of hits in, so I would start with my Landsknecht's elemental chases, which would in turn trigger the physical attack chases from my dancer, and so on. Other combinations include using lots of binds and status, and taking advantage of elemental weaknesses.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I'm about to start playing Deadly Premonition (the original 360 version). What should I know? I don't know much about the game but I hear it's open world and the NPCs go about their business with or without you, and as a result you need to be in the right place at the right time in order to get/complete certain quests.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Don't feel like you need a Fortress to progress in the game. A lot of people really like defensive strategies, but I didn't have one for the entire game because I hate pure tank units, and I did fine.
Seconding this - I ran a group in my second run that had a Landsknecht as my primary tank for a while, and later switched to a Dancer/Fortress as the tankiest member, and I beat the postgame superbosses with that party. EO4 is extremely generous with what classes it will allow you to run.

Also there's a General EO thread over here where people will be happy to answer more detailed questions.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
About to start both Red Dead Redemption and Bioshock Infinite. Would appreciate spoiler-free info on both.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Funkmaster General posted:

I'm about to start playing Deadly Premonition (the original 360 version). What should I know? I don't know much about the game but I hear it's open world and the NPCs go about their business with or without you, and as a result you need to be in the right place at the right time in order to get/complete certain quests.

You can replay any previous chapter, with two cavaets:
-You can't save during the replay, you have to play the whole chapter in one sitting
-Do not replay a previous chapter if you have a chapter-specific key in your "main" inventory (chapters 9 and 23 are the ones I see listed)

It's possible to do every sidequest without replaying chapters, you can take as many days as you need to get to the next plot point, the listed hours only refer to the time of day it's available. Certain quests are only open during certain chapters, which are listed in the quest log from the beginning of the game.

Finally, play the game on easy. If you don't care about achievements, there's literally nothing you lose other than the tedium that comes with higher difficulties (the fun parts of the game are the non-combat portions), and if you do care about achievements, you have to play through all three difficulties anyway.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

EddieDean posted:

About to start Bioshock Infinite. Would appreciate spoiler-free info on both.

Bioshock Infinite plays much like a better streamlined version of Bioshock 2. That means you'll be wanting to combo different vigors and guns together for efficient kills.

- Money is tight for most of the game. Loot everything and look around for barrels and containers to empty out.
- When you get to the first skyrail section, spend a bit of time getting comfortable with the controls. Not only is it great fun to bounce around on the rails in a fight, it can also make your life a bit easier later on.
- When you find a key, it is usually a signal that you need to backtrack to find the chest. Sometimes quite a long way back.
- You won't be able to upgrade all guns fully, but you can get close so don't worry too much about "wasting" upgrades. Some of the red and blue guns are quite minor variations on the same basic type (there is f.inst. two 'sniper rifles'... one slow and powerful and one less powerful, but which shoots in bursts. Which you prefer is mostly down to personal style)
- There are a few instances where you can steal items, while there are civilians about. It will almost always result in getting caught and starting a fight, which means the civilians run away and hide. If you want to soak up the atmosphere (and listen to the banter), do so before you nick anything. Stealing is also optional.
- And finally, without spoiling anything, pay attention to what is said in the final hour of the game (or put on subtitles).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

EddieDean posted:

About to start both Red Dead Redemption and Bioshock Infinite. Would appreciate spoiler-free info on both.

For RDR, beware that water is an instant death the second so much as a toe goes in. My biggest issue with the game early on was that you could head off for a good ol' explore, as you do in sandbox games, do a load of hunting and skinning, gather herbs, do little events you can stumble on... Then you get instantly murdered by a cougar and realise to your horror that there's no auto saving so everything you did in the last hour or two is wasted. However, when you get a horse deed, normally used when your horse dies to summon another, you can actually use it any time you like and the game auto-saves when you do. This is much more convenient than finding a spot the game deems viable for a camp site and saving that way.