Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Rather, they used CGI for the bigger battles because the alternative would not have been as cost-effective. Though as said, it improved in the next two films. Speaking of which, I hope they announce when we can expect the next film sometime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Bina posted:

Griffith needs a younger man to play him. Someone dreadfully gorgeous.

Ryan Gosling with longer dyed hair as Griffith. I wanna say The Rock would make a good Guts, since the man can act and he's a loving mountain, but you just know having a half-black, half-Samoan Guts would result in massive nerd rage. :smith:

e: Tom Hardy would also be acceptable if he bulked up to Bronson levels again.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 13, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Rock would own pretty hard partly because he could use an actual dragonslayer replica.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Only if it's made out of tin foil. Which goes without saying, since a solid iron dragonslayer would weigh, what, 400 pounds?

Who am I kidding, they'd probably use a CG sword and it would look horrible. :(

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
800-900 pounds, actually. I did the math :spergin:

Znorelag
Oct 25, 2009
Imagine walking around with that weight on your back. How fast would he be if he dropped it for a sec (not that it'll ever happen)?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

muike posted:

800-900 pounds, actually. I did the math :spergin:

I'm imagining somebody going into combat using an entire motorcycle as a weapon.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm imagining somebody going into combat using an entire motorcycle as a weapon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlHY6xRpktk

Guts and Dante would be the best demon-slaying duo :allears:

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 16, 2013

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I was expecting the clip from The Simpsons.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Znorelag posted:

Imagine walking around with that weight on your back. How fast would he be if he dropped it for a sec (not that it'll ever happen)?

I kinda want this to happen now. :stare:

Burning Sensation
Sep 2, 2006

Apropos of nothing.
Okay, this may be a dumb question, but why does it seem like some of the text isn't translated on some pages?

These, for example:

http://mangafox.me/manga/berserk/c148/32.html
http://mangafox.me/manga/berserk/c148/29.html

Seems like something is being said on occasion that is simply left out?

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Yeah. It's bad. The early Hawks scans are bad. Buy the books from Dark Horse, many volumes can still be found at reasonable prices. Some, though, not so much.

Rhygezenguro
Feb 13, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Didn't Raoh do that in his Fist of the North Star spinoff show?

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Nebakenezzer posted:

Genre Cyberpunk, Science fiction, Thriller
Manga
Written by Katsuhiro Otomo
Published by Kodansha
English publisher United States Epic Comics, Dark Horse Comics, (/r)Random House
Demographic Seinen
Magazine Young Magazine
Original run December 20, 1982 – June 25, 1990
Volumes 6 (List of volumes)
Akira (アキラ?, romanized as AKIRA) is a Japanese manga series, written and illustrated by Katsuhiro Otomo. Set in a post-apocalyptic Neo-Tokyo, the work uses conventions of the cyberpunk genre to detail a saga of turmoil.[1] Initially serialized in the pages of Young Magazine from 1982 until 1990, the work was collected into six volumes by its publisher Kodansha.[2] The work was first published in an English language version by the Marvel Comics imprint Epic Comics, one of the first manga works to be translated in its entirety.[3] Otomo's art on the series is considered outstanding, and the work is a breakthrough for both Otomo and the manga form.[1] Through the breadth of the work, Otomo explicates themes of social isolation, corruption and power.1

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Kaneda's bike is not a weapon. It is part of a love triangle.

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GulagDolls posted:

Kaneda's bike is not a weapon. It is part of a love triangle.

a material world may be either organic or custom-fit, depending on the diligence one employs whilst making the most of that which they are given. i wonder if akira truly predated the narcissistic me generation, along with the blueprints for berserk and the bygone newage retro hipster revival of fixies; the haphazard makeshift digitation of analogues. i wonder if when i can't feel my own testicular stronghold if there really is a delicate princess out there just for me who can. if so i must find and rescue her.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

WickedIcon posted:

Ryan Gosling with longer dyed hair as Griffith. I wanna say The Rock would make a good Guts, since the man can act and he's a loving mountain, but you just know having a half-black, half-Samoan Guts would result in massive nerd rage. :smith:

e: Tom Hardy would also be acceptable if he bulked up to Bronson levels again.

What about Karl Urban as Guts? He could bulk up, and he looks similar. I don't mind his acting.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Bina posted:

What about Karl Urban as Guts? He could bulk up, and he looks similar. I don't mind his acting.

Oh holy gently caress. :gizz: If he played Guts exactly the same way he played Dredd, I would see that movie about a hundred times probably.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

I dream of the day where you guys don't post about inane things that make me think there's been a significant update, e.g. a new chapter/something about upcoming movies/something not about Judge Dredd playing Gutts. :mad:

EDIT: In case anyone hasn't mentioned it yet, this is officially the longest break there's ever been without a new chapter. Wooh.

Mr. Deathy fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 21, 2013

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Mr. Deathy posted:

EDIT: In case anyone hasn't mentioned it yet, this is officially the longest break there's ever been without a new chapter. Wooh.
Seriously? poo poo.

Well.. at least we're not at Black Lagoon hiatus levels yet.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Burning Sensation posted:

Okay, this may be a dumb question, but why does it seem like some of the text isn't translated on some pages?

These, for example:

http://mangafox.me/manga/berserk/c148/32.html
http://mangafox.me/manga/berserk/c148/29.html

Seems like something is being said on occasion that is simply left out?

Could be, or could be that the translated text wasn't enough to fill all the bubbles so they just left some blank.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Mr. Deathy posted:

I dream of the day where you guys don't post about inane things that make me think there's been a significant update, e.g. a new chapter/something about upcoming movies/something not about Judge Dredd playing Gutts. :mad:

As long as Miura doesn't croak I'm happy even if he needs six months per chapter. People are going to be admiring his art 200 years from now so he can take all the time he likes to get every dented helmet on every soldier and every feather on the cockatrice right. Yeah I'd love to have monthly installments so they can get to Elf Island and then go kill Griffith, but not if it means the tiniest drop in quality.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

So Miura is in his mid 40's.

Going by the estimate that the series is probably about 70% through (He said it was 60-70 a few years ago) and is currently 333 chapters, we can probably estimate final count at about 480 chapters or so when complete. Could be anywhere between 450-500 though.

Let's assume best case scenario it was 450. That'd give him 127 chapters left to write.

At a rate of 2 chapters a year, that would take him around 64 years. He'd have to live to be one of the oldest people in the world and capable of working well into his 100's. Next to no one in this thread would get to read the conclusion.

I'm not sure I'd personally like that situation. :v:

Damegane
May 7, 2013
Eh, if he wanted to get to work he could probably go back to a monthly release schedule without too many problems. That is, if he stops getting distracted by stuff like Idolmaster and doing character designs for Vocaloids.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Didn't the author of what was also his inspiration for Berserk, the lady who wrote Guin Saga, write that for 30+ years and then died with it unfinished? I hope he's not trying to imitate that aspect of her work too...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mr. Deathy posted:

:words:

I'm not sure I'd personally like that situation. :v:

Yeah, this is why I don't really pay much attention to Berserk any more. There's not much to speculate about, because we've known where Guts and crew are going and why for years. The best part of the story (the relationship between Guts, Griffith, and Casca) is gone because one of them's a non-character and the other two haven't spoken more than a couple dozen words to each other in volumes. The new crew isn't a sufficient replacement because their status is pretty much relegated to "comment about how awesome Guts is, and once in a while Schierke delivers some exposition."

I'd like to see Guts to try to figure out how he should relate to Serpico as a leader, based on his experience with Griffith. I'd like to see Farnese learn magic and reconcile it with her faith and pyromania. I don't really care about Isidro, but it'd be cool if he became something more than a redundant version of Puck. I want to see Casca with an actual personality again. But not badly enough to wait decades for it.

I guess some people read it for the art, but honestly I find the level of detail more exhausting than interesting, and I think Miura's (admittedly incredible) technical proficiency has come at the expense of style.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah, this is why I don't really pay much attention to Berserk any more. There's not much to speculate about, because we've known where Guts and crew are going and why for years. The best part of the story (the relationship between Guts, Griffith, and Casca) is gone because one of them's a non-character and the other two haven't spoken more than a couple dozen words to each other in volumes. The new crew isn't a sufficient replacement because their status is pretty much relegated to "comment about how awesome Guts is, and once in a while Schierke delivers some exposition."

If you read it like that, sure. I read it as Guts' arc is also transforming from a semi-realistic medieval world into fantasy, just like his world. I mean, poo poo, he's forming up his own questing group with different classes. So instead of the usual Tolkien-esque fantasy story where the magic is disappearing and the world is becoming more real, Berserk is going the other way around.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I hope something relevant comes from the whole Sea God sidequest or I'll be pissed at the years wasted. Lots of beautiful art but little of worth to the plot. Maybe Isma or the spoooooky child will do something important, who knows?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

wid posted:

If you read it like that, sure. I read it as Guts' arc is also transforming from a semi-realistic medieval world into fantasy, just like his world. I mean, poo poo, he's forming up his own questing group with different classes. So instead of the usual Tolkien-esque fantasy story where the magic is disappearing and the world is becoming more real, Berserk is going the other way around.

Normally I would love that theme. The trouble is that it doesn't work in this context; high fantasy is utterly commonplace and banal, so paradoxically becoming more fantastic makes Berserk seem more conventional and unremarkable.

Although I wonder if this is a cultural thing or if Japanese readers are as familiar with the Western mythical bestiary (and the influence of Tolkien on the fantasy genre) as we are.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 25, 2013

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Normally I would love that theme. The trouble is that it doesn't work in this context; high fantasy is utterly commonplace and banal, so paradoxically becoming more fantastic makes Berserk seem more conventional and unremarkable.

Although I wonder if this is a cultural thing or if Japanese readers are as familiar with the Western mythical bestiary (and the influence of Tolkien on the fantasy genre) as we are.

I guess I missed the part in LOTR where the giant tree stepped on-
The part where the horned flying beast attacked the-

..poo poo.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I definitely enjoyed Berserk more during its low fantasy arcs, but it's still good to me.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Woebin posted:

I definitely enjoyed Berserk more during its low fantasy arcs, but it's still good to me.

Fantasia Arc might be a return to lo-fantasy even if the worlds have merged.

Is Miura still playing Idolmaster?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Nah he's just waiting for some ink to dry so he can move on to the next square centimeter of paper without smearing.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just started reading this for the first time and I'm up to the third issue. Jesus Christ, I knew Berserk was supposed to be brutal but this is probably the most graphic manga I've ever read. I'm loving it though.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

I just started reading this for the first time and I'm up to the third issue. Jesus Christ, I knew Berserk was supposed to be brutal but this is probably the most graphic manga I've ever read. I'm loving it though.

It gets so much more horrific.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
This series has both repulsive visceral things make make you lose your lunch and mortifying psychological horror that stays with you for years. I love it.

Also, there are boo-koo spoilers ITT. Come back after you've read volume 13. But even if you've been spoiled prematurely, this is probably the best comic in history.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

E the Shaggy posted:

It gets so much more horrific.

:stare:

Soulcleaver posted:

This series has both repulsive visceral things make make you lose your lunch and mortifying psychological horror that stays with you for years. I love it.

Also, there are boo-koo spoilers ITT. Come back after you've read volume 13. But even if you've been spoiled prematurely, this is probably the best comic in history.

Yeah I only read the OP before reading the first 3 chapters. I'm finding Puck to be a really weird fit considering the otherwise totally bleak atmosphere but I usually have a pretty high tolerance for that stuff so it's not too much of a put off.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I just recommended this manga to a coworker whose favorite show is Code Geass, which I am assuming is leagues less brutal than this. I will be excited to hear back from her. All I told her is that its metal as gently caress :black101:

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I have a hard time recommending a manga that begins with Guts banging a demon to anyone. That scene strikes me as odd in restrospect, given Guts' hangups about sex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Isn't that from the Berserk Prototype and not the series proper?