Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBXv37PFcAQ

Soul train footage + Lose yourself to dance = amazing. Any questions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

somnambulist posted:

This is amazing :allears: A low bitrate MP3 and some VCR tracking over the video would have made it seem much more era-appropriate, though.

Those synced handclaps are a work of art.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Unrelated, but my absolute favorite part of that track (not counting the couple times Pharrell spouts of "guitar!" for no apparent reason) is when the vocoder gets all crazy like at the 2:58 (in that video) mark. Just something about it makes me smile every single time.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wario In Real Life posted:

Unrelated, but my absolute favorite part of that track (not counting the couple times Pharrell spouts of "guitar!" for no apparent reason) is when the vocoder gets all crazy like at the 2:58 (in that video) mark. Just something about it makes me smile every single time.

Me too :D Like I posted earlier in the thread, it makes me think of I Believe In A Thing Called Love by The Darkness, in which the vocalist does the same exact thing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

That soul train footage was fantastic. I'd love to see more, from Midnight Special or other music shows back then.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
The vinyl sounds loving unbelievable.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Has this been posted yet? Cause its awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbCTG0-PkRA

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm late to the party, but I finally listened to this after avoiding any and all reviews of it. Color me unimpressed. I was prepared for a lot of retro disco sounds, but the entire album is just Something About Us(one of my least favorite tracks off Discovery) stretched out over an entire album. There's no life in most of it. If I can't dance to it, and I can't appreciate whatever they were trying to accomplish, what's the point? I don't care how much they experimented, how many genres they covered, how it fits in the Daft Punk "storyline", or how technically flawless the album is if it doesn't work.

Best tracks were both Pharrell tracks, Doin' It Right, Giordio(takes longer than it needs to become incredible, but it does get there), and Contact. Everything else wallowed too much in the Something About Us sound for me; I actually started skipping tracks because it was getting so boring and repetitive. I know I tend not to appreciate slow, non-energetic music unless it's done really well, and I'm too young(23) to appreciate the disco throwbacks beyond "that sure is some disco alright", but I was still astonished at how little RAM did for me. I kept trying to resist the urge to describe this as "Daft Punk masturbating about disco", because that's how most of this felt to me. I don't mind the cheese, but I was hoping for "One More Time"-style cheese, not "Something About Us" cheese. :(

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Contact is a really good song.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Haifisch posted:

I'm late to the party, but I finally listened to this after avoiding any and all reviews of it. Color me unimpressed. I was prepared for a lot of retro disco sounds, but the entire album is just Something About Us(one of my least favorite tracks off Discovery) stretched out over an entire album. There's no life in most of it. If I can't dance to it, and I can't appreciate whatever they were trying to accomplish, what's the point? I don't care how much they experimented, how many genres they covered, how it fits in the Daft Punk "storyline", or how technically flawless the album is if it doesn't work.

Best tracks were both Pharrell tracks, Doin' It Right, Giordio(takes longer than it needs to become incredible, but it does get there), and Contact. Everything else wallowed too much in the Something About Us sound for me; I actually started skipping tracks because it was getting so boring and repetitive. I know I tend not to appreciate slow, non-energetic music unless it's done really well, and I'm too young(23) to appreciate the disco throwbacks beyond "that sure is some disco alright", but I was still astonished at how little RAM did for me. I kept trying to resist the urge to describe this as "Daft Punk masturbating about disco", because that's how most of this felt to me. I don't mind the cheese, but I was hoping for "One More Time"-style cheese, not "Something About Us" cheese. :(

Give it a couple days and a couple more listens and you may feel differently

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Count me as another who thinks the album doesn't really flow properly, and that some tracks just kill its momentum. I love Lose Yourself to Dance, Get Lucky, Giorgio, and Doin it Right, but even after 4 run-throughs Touch and Within are really terrible IMO, despite having great intros.

I'm also not really sure how I feel about Contact. I like the song, but it feels like there should be something more.

I like this album, but I have a feeling that I'll end up liking the remixes more.

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥

I actually posted this a few pages back, prob got lost in all the chatter though.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Manoueverable posted:

feels like there should be something more.

The tagline for the album!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Manoueverable posted:

I'm also not really sure how I feel about Contact. I like the song, but it feels like there should be something more.

That "something more" is the Olympics. It should be the theme to the Olympics. Starting with the next one, until the end of time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is it reading too much into Contact to see it as Daft Punk loving with dubstep fans by including a 3 minute buildup that never has a "drop"?

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

crankdatbatman posted:

Contact is a really good song.

Yes it is. That sample of the synths is killer.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Well this is just freaking perfect. I wonder how well this teases possible Alive-esque remixes of the actual tracks.

Edit: Also chalk me up as someone who is really starting to warm up to the album after multiple listens. I've had Instant Crush stuck in my head for a few days now and it was far from one of my favorites on my first couple of listens. The Todd Edwards remix really opened that track up for me. I'm liking Lose Yourself even more the more I hear it. Still not a fan of Fragments though. It really is like the only track besides maybe Game of Love and Within that I struggle with. I feel like this little video has kind of shown me that the melodies within these songs could probably be put to use in something I'd like more though.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 07:33 on May 25, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Haifisch posted:

I completely agree with all of this, but I actually hate the Pharrell tracks. I'm not usually bothered by him, but "Get Lucky" is just one of the worst songs I've ever heard on Daft Punk. I cannot stand any part of that track. Particularly the chorus. Holy gently caress.

I know a lot of people bash Something About Us, but its remixes are quite spectacular. Check out the one by Balance and the Traveling Sounds if you haven't; it turns SAU from a pretty mediocre dance track to a beautiful R&B song.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh my god, I want to play whatever game this is the soundtrack to :swoon:

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome

somnambulist posted:

Haha, this is loving awesome. That's totally how I felt strutting around Wee Waa.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Azure_Horizon posted:

I completely agree with all of this, but I actually hate the Pharrell tracks. I'm not usually bothered by him, but "Get Lucky" is just one of the worst songs I've ever heard on Daft Punk. I cannot stand any part of that track. Particularly the chorus. Holy gently caress.

I know a lot of people bash Something About Us, but its remixes are quite spectacular. Check out the one by Balance and the Traveling Sounds if you haven't; it turns SAU from a pretty mediocre dance track to a beautiful R&B song.

This. Get Lucky is about the worst Daft Punk I've heard. It kind of killed me on the album hype to be perfectly honest.

People really don't like Something About Us? That was one of my favorites off Discovery actually.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
The moving placement of the kick and the bass in the bar in Something About Us is a delight. A delight.

Ronald Nixon
Mar 18, 2012
This album wasn't what I was expecting from Daft Punk, but I am glad it is from them because I'd never have listened to such music otherwise, and I really enjoy it. It's a very interesting (as in, it offers a lot of different things for the ears) album when considered as a whole journey tracks 01-13.

Thanks robo-dudes!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Here you go! For all those fans of tge 8-BIT R.A.M. Medley.

(I like this way more than I like the actual album!)

Get Lucky - http://audiko.net/ringtone/8+Bit+Daft+Punk/Get+Lucky+8-Bit?ring=26727425

Giorgio - http://audiko.net/ringtone/8+Bit+Daft+Punk/Giorgio+8-Bit?ring=26727770 (<--- this one is a stellar ring tone!)

Game of Love - http://audiko.net/ringtone/8+Bit+Daft+Punk/Game+of+Love+8-Bit?ring=26727786

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh gently caress, you're totally right. I usually have my phone on vibrate, but I may just have to keep it loud now. This is the best ringtone :D

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah now I cant get out of my head some old Zelda-like game starring Thomas and Guy-Man in their robo-egos. Earned upgrades, powers, all related to music and sound, with cool chiptunes as the soundtrack.

SOMEBODY KICKSTART THIS poo poo.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Feenix posted:

Here you go! For all those fans of tge 8-BIT R.A.M. Medley.

(I like this way more than I like the actual album!)

Get Lucky - http://audiko.net/ringtone/8+Bit+Daft+Punk/Get+Lucky+8-Bit?ring=26727425

Giorgio - http://audiko.net/ringtone/8+Bit+Daft+Punk/Giorgio+8-Bit?ring=26727770 (<--- this one is a stellar ring tone!)

Game of Love - http://audiko.net/ringtone/8+Bit+Daft+Punk/Game+of+Love+8-Bit?ring=26727786

I've need a new ringtone for a while, thank you.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

somnambulist posted:

Man, I didn't think much of Lose Yourself to Dance my first couple of listen-throughs but now it's become my jam and go-to song to listen to. This video reaffirms my choice. :allears:

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

Feenix posted:

Yeah now I cant get out of my head some old Zelda-like game starring Thomas and Guy-Man in their robo-egos. Earned upgrades, powers, all related to music and sound, with cool chiptunes as the soundtrack.

SOMEBODY KICKSTART THIS poo poo.

YES YES YES YES!!!! holy poo poo that would be awesome.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ronald Nixon posted:

This album wasn't what I was expecting from Daft Punk, but I am glad it is from them because I'd never have listened to such music otherwise, and I really enjoy it. It's a very interesting (as in, it offers a lot of different things for the ears) album when considered as a whole journey tracks 01-13.

Thanks robo-dudes!

When I think about it, I feel like Daft Punk has a specific 'job' in the music industry: to introduce people to music they never would have listened to otherwise, by presenting the mainstream with a type of music that's completely unlike their usual. I sure as hell know that I wouldn't be nearly as into house/EDM, or at least wouldn't have gotten into it as early as I did, if it weren't for Cartoon Network playing the music video for One More Time for reasons that still escape me.

Now though, things have flipped around a bit. Electronic music the likes of which Daft Punk have produced their whole career is mainstream, with YouTube spreading it far and wide, and goddamn Skrillex playing on a 'hits of the past and present' station right after Guns and Roses (now that was a weird day). So now, faced with an environment that's nearly the complete polar opposite of what they started in, Daft Punk... take up the same role, just in the opposite direction. Forcing us all to listen to music made with real equipment and instruments, and real people behind it.

Or maybe I'm making poo poo up, I can never tell the difference.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Cleretic posted:

When I think about it, I feel like Daft Punk has a specific 'job' in the music industry: to introduce people to music they never would have listened to otherwise, by presenting the mainstream with a type of music that's completely unlike their usual. I sure as hell know that I wouldn't be nearly as into house/EDM, or at least wouldn't have gotten into it as early as I did, if it weren't for Cartoon Network playing the music video for One More Time for reasons that still escape me.

Now though, things have flipped around a bit. Electronic music the likes of which Daft Punk have produced their whole career is mainstream, with YouTube spreading it far and wide, and goddamn Skrillex playing on a 'hits of the past and present' station right after Guns and Roses (now that was a weird day). So now, faced with an environment that's nearly the complete polar opposite of what they started in, Daft Punk... take up the same role, just in the opposite direction. Forcing us all to listen to music made with real equipment and instruments, and real people behind it.

Or maybe I'm making poo poo up, I can never tell the difference.

While I agree with those points I feel like ram fits more as the robots thinking "if we could only sample one album for the rest of time, what would it sound like."

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I love the album, but the whole "Daft Punk is getting people to listen to real instruments again" thing is just silly as all hell. Guitars and drums never went anywhere.

Modest Mike
Oct 23, 2008

Upon your feet you have ten toes, they look just like...
po-ta-toes!

sethsez posted:

I love the album, but the whole "Daft Punk is getting people to listen to real instruments again" thing is just silly as all hell. Guitars and drums never went anywhere.

I agree. There is more music out there than just house and/or top 40 songs which I think is more where that comparison point should be aimed at. If you say that Daft Punk are the only real physical instrument manipulators of today within the context of all the music being produced you are insane. Anyways after attempting to come around to this album a fair amount in the last week ill admit it has grown on me a bit but I still think touch is a little stupid and fragments of time is honestly just a horrible horrible song.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Fragments Of Time is one of the best songs on the album :colbert: The chorus is insanely catchy.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Basically in Discovery the two robots were just having a good time, then in Human After All, 9/11 happened and they had to work minimum wage in a CIA murderfactory and now, in RAM, they are free and the robots want to go to space.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

or, Homework is when you're a kid and are forced into a structure - school, chores, church etc. Discovery is being a teenager - young adult and experiencing love, freedom and good feelings. Human After All is being a 'grown person' and an adult, toeing the line in life and dealing with repetition & duty.

RAM is looking back at all the good parts of life.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Modest Mike posted:

I agree. There is more music out there than just house and/or top 40 songs which I think is more where that comparison point should be aimed at. If you say that Daft Punk are the only real physical instrument manipulators of today within the context of all the music being produced you are insane.

Oh, I fully agree, I think I just explained it a bit poorly. In my mind Daft Punk's job used to be 'hey you majority of people listening to pop and rock, there's this awesome genre called house, here's what it sounds like, I hope you like it'.

RAM has a different direction and a different audience, but their role remains the same: 'hey you people listening to club music and dubstep, here are these great sounds made with real instuments that your favorite music has its roots in, I hope you like it'.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Modest Mike posted:

fragments of time is honestly just a horrible horrible song.

this is so wrong. Fragments of Time is just very very happy to the point of being corny and kind of out of left field but is a wonderful song. When I first heard the album, though, I was like "what the gently caress?"

Here's a video of the wee waa launch, it's not the highest quality, and the camerawork is pretty bad, but for someone who couldn't be there it's kind of the closest thing, and the energy of the crowd is pretty sweet, particularly around contact at the 6:30ish mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OpSjubVxBs

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 26, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

What the hell? What's the story behind this?

• Locked thread