Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Anyone know what the longest timeframe is between movies featuring the same characters played by the same actors? If we're including documentaries I'm sure the 7 Up series wins but for feature films, does anything beat out Before Sunrise - Before Sunset - Before Midnight (9 years between any two, 18 years between the first and last)? I'm primarily concerned with main characters, so Yoda and Palpatine in the Star Wars series don't count.

e: I guess if you count Never Say Never Again as a legit James Bond film, that and Dr. No would get the honor at 21 years. And if we're talking secondary characters, the old guy playing Q would probably win overall.

e2: Raiders to Crystal Skull is an amazing 27 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
How many actors need to come back for it to count? There was a 28 year gap between A New Hope and Return of the Sith, both of which had James Earl Jones.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

regulargonzalez posted:

Anyone know what the longest timeframe is between movies featuring the same characters played by the same actors? If we're including documentaries I'm sure the 7 Up series wins but for feature films, does anything beat out Before Sunrise - Before Sunset - Before Midnight (9 years between any two, 18 years between the first and last)? I'm primarily concerned with main characters, so Yoda and Palpatine in the Star Wars series don't count.

e: I guess if you count Never Say Never Again as a legit James Bond film, that and Dr. No would get the honor at 21 years. And if we're talking secondary characters, the old guy playing Q would probably win overall.

e2: Raiders to Crystal Skull is an amazing 27 years.

Leonard Nimoy is up there. 1979 to 2013 for the movies which is 34 years, and 1966 to 2013 if you include the tv show which is 47 years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The Hustler came out in 1961, and The Color of Money in 1986, so that's 25 year gap between two movies, with nothing in between. The only other thing I can think of would be Ron Howard's endorsement of Obama in 2008, where he an Andy Griffith reprised their roles for the Andy Griffith show briefly. I'd link to the video, but the only source I can find is a re-hosting on ebaumsworld.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Django had a cameo in Django Unchained so that's 46 years (1966-2012).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Anthony Perkins in Psycho and then Psycho IV is a 30 year gap.

I've heard that Akira Takarada might be in this new 2014 Godzilla movie although I'm not sure if he'd be the same character. That'd be a 60 year gap.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Sly Stallone has a double whammy with 30 years between Rocky (1976) and Rocky Balboa (2006), and a healthy 26 years between First Blood (1982) and Rambo (2008).

e: double whammy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeQq0GsVMS0&t=104s

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

:lol: That suit looks like a cheap Halloween costume.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Zogo posted:

:lol: That suit looks like a cheap Halloween costume.

True, but it's almost an exact representation of Dredds costume. Karl Urbans Dredd costume was cooler and looked more real, but it deviated quite a lot from the costume seen in the comics.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The Judge Dredd costumes are like the best part of that movie. They're Versace designs, I think.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

There were 30 years between Scenes from a Marriage and Saraband. Similar to Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight, the sequel actually takes place 30 years later.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

True, but it's almost an exact representation of Dredds costume. Karl Urbans Dredd costume was cooler and looked more real, but it deviated quite a lot from the costume seen in the comics.

Its a good example as to why they always redesign costumes for movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love the '95 Dredd costume, practicality aside.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

computer parts posted:

Django had a cameo in Django Unchained so that's 46 years (1966-2012).

Franco Nero is not playing Django in Django Unchained, though.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
30 year gap between Scenes from a Marriage and Saraband.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
There's 32 years and 130-odd films between the first and last time Kawn Tak-Hing played Wong Fei Hung on film.

Kal
Jun 3, 2007

"We got this man... we got this by the BALLS!"
I can't remember what movie this quote is from and it's really bugging me. Google has not been very helpful so far. Anyone know? I think it might be from zombie movie of some kind.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You're thinking of the original Dawn of the Dead where Roger says "We got this, man, we got this by the rear end!"

Kal
Jun 3, 2007

Yeah that's it! Don't know why I thought there were balls involved :gay: Thanks!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kal posted:

"We got this man... we got this by the BALLS!"
I can't remember what movie this quote is from and it's really bugging me. Google has not been very helpful so far. Anyone know? I think it might be from zombie movie of some kind.

You're probably thinking of this line from Dawn of the Dead 78

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I wake up every morning and say that.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I wake up every morning and say that.

I go to bed every night saying this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czM_NrDIJak

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In the 1997 movie Contact, Ellie is whisked away to an alien world by the Machine, but everyone on Earth thinks it was her hallucination because only seconds passed on Earth while she passed hours in space. She is then called crazy and is humiliated before Congress. I always wondered why they didn't just try again. The Machine is still intact, isn't it? It's good for multiple journeys, isn't it? It doesn't cost a billion dollars per trip, right? Just send another guy and see what he has to say.

How was this explained in the novel?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Baron Bifford posted:

In the 1997 movie Contact, Ellie is whisked away to an alien world by the Machine, but everyone on Earth thinks it was her hallucination because only seconds passed on Earth while she passed hours in space. She is then called crazy and is humiliated before Congress. I always wondered why they didn't just try again. The Machine is still intact, isn't it? It's good for multiple journeys, isn't it? It doesn't cost a billion dollars per trip, right? Just send another guy and see what he has to say.

I get the feeling that the government knows that it works and believes what Ellie is saying is true, but now that they've got proof they're going throw up a smokescreen and discredit her so they can keep it under wraps and use it secretly. They could even dismantle it under the guise of it being a failed program, only to rebuild it somewhere hidden so they can start jumping around the universe and exploring/exploiting space.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
So I've recently watched the Infernal Affairs trilogy (after reading up about it in this thread) and really, really liked it - mostly the first two. Having played a few hours of Sleeping Dogs in the past, I realized the movies inspired the game a lot.

I'm now quite curious about other good Hong Kong police/Triads movies. I'm not big into pure action flicks, kung fu, all that stuff but more about crime thrillers like IA. I've watched a lot of Japanese Yakuza movies so now I'd like to move to Hong Kong. Any suggestions?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Baron Bifford posted:

I believe that in the book they do send multiple people through.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Baron Bifford posted:

muscles like this? posted:

I believe that in the book they do send multiple people through.

Yeah. In the book, it's a group of people who go through together. It's been a bit since I read it but I believe that they all have separate but related experiences. They then return together.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I get the feeling that the government knows that it works and believes what Ellie is saying is true, but now that they've got proof they're going throw up a smokescreen and discredit her so they can keep it under wraps and use it secretly. They could even dismantle it under the guise of it being a failed program, only to rebuild it somewhere hidden so they can start jumping around the universe and exploring/exploiting space.
Doesn't sound very much like a Carl Sagan plot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also you couldn't really use the machine to explore since it would just take you to the same spot every time.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

In the novel (and I thought the movie) they tried to spin it up again and nothing happened. There's a fair bit more material with the aliens, who I think reveal that they didn't build the transportation system, they just found it, that it requires them to make the wormholes available to the machine for it to work, and that they won't be doing that again for humanity now that they've done the meet-and-greet.

Thwomp posted:

Yeah. In the book, it's a group of people who go through together. It's been a bit since I read it but I believe that they all have separate but related experiences. They then return together.

I'm pretty sure they have a shared experience, though it's also been a while for me. I don't recall the conflict between science and faith, and the final twist about how Ellie's experience is similar to a religious experience, being in the book, or at least as prominent.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Baron Bifford posted:

Doesn't sound very much like a Carl Sagan plot.

Maybe not, I'm just going on the fact that at the end of the movie, James Woods and Angela Basset clearly know that Ellie was speaking the truth, and they're keeping it hush hush. And any time the government keeps things under wraps, it's because they want to take advantage of it in secret.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Maybe not, I'm just going on the fact that at the end of the movie, James Woods and Angela Basset clearly know that Ellie was speaking the truth, and they're keeping it hush hush. And any time the government keeps things under wraps, it's because they want to take advantage of it in secret.

I'm going to disagree a little here and say look at it from the perspective of the Government:

You now have "proof" (something like 17 minutes of recorded video static for a one second free fall and a crazy story) of a machine that can seemingly transport people to other dimensions and that other advanced species exist somewhere in the galaxy.

OK, so now you have to explain this from a science and military point of view to your superiors (Are the aliens hostile? Do they resemble us? What is their technology like? Can we weaponize this transportation? Are the results repeatable?) and to the general public (Why doesn't it mention these aliens in the Bible? Do they want our jobs? When can I get a ride on the great space coaster? Why can't you go back there?).

Or you could just shrug your shoulders and go "Whelp, she must've hit her head on something on the way down. Better mothball the project"

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Senso posted:

I'm now quite curious about other good Hong Kong police/Triads movies. I'm not big into pure action flicks, kung fu, all that stuff but more about crime thrillers like IA. I've watched a lot of Japanese Yakuza movies so now I'd like to move to Hong Kong. Any suggestions?
I've given some suggestions on this subject before (third block of text). Let me know if you need more.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

SubG posted:

I've given some suggestions on this subject before (third block of text). Let me know if you need more.

Are there any books on asian cinema (HK, mainland or Japan would be great) you can recommend?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

DNS posted:

Are there any books on asian cinema (HK, mainland or Japan would be great) you can recommend?
I'm not aware of many good scholarly works on Hong Kong cinema in English; most of the books I'm familiar with are pretty superficial, are heavily focused on narrow slivers of the industry, are basically just fanwank material, or some combination of all of these. There are a couple of books from BFI that are alright (The Chinese Cinema Book, Hong Kong Cinema: The Extra Dimensions) but nothing that I'd consider the reference on the subject. BFI publications also tend to run on the spendy side, which isn't an issue if you have access to a library that has them.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

SubG posted:

Awesome, I'll write everything down and hit the DVD markets. I'm in Vietnam so what I actually find might be hit or miss but that's a good start. Thanks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

In the novel (and I thought the movie) they tried to spin it up again and nothing happened. There's a fair bit more material with the aliens, who I think reveal that they didn't build the transportation system, they just found it, that it requires them to make the wormholes available to the machine for it to work, and that they won't be doing that again for humanity now that they've done the meet-and-greet.

The aliens do say something to that effect, that they set the terms for how Earth used the machine and the next contact will be on their timetable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SubG posted:

I'd be interest in reading this but I don't have archives. Could you, or someone else quote it?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Skwirl posted:

I'd be interest in reading this but I don't have archives. Could you, or someone else quote it?

Quoting with quotes is annoying.

http://i.imgur.com/VIIhEqR.png
http://i.imgur.com/IGNjIM1.png

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Most of what I learned from Asian cinema I learned from listening to Bey Logan's audio commentaries. The man's knowledge is encyclopedic.