Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Cordyceps Headache posted:

I don't think many people realize what the root word of "gypped" is. Which isn't really an excuse, but I've heard it used by kids who probably didn't know what "gypsies" meant.

Edit: In North America, at least. I'm pretty sure neo-nazi Magyar newspapers that use it know exactly what it means.

Yeah, I'm only in my mid-twenties and I recall a few daytime cartoons from when I was little using "gypped". I'd wager that the vast majority of American kids that even use the term nowadays don't realize that it's pejorative. It's just a term that we picked up from hearing the adults using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Nah, the fortune telling is all people being fake gypsies.
(Surprisingly, not always true.)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Orange Devil posted:

How common is antiziganism in right wing media?

I'm sure there's someone in the US who has that problem, but I've never encountered it in my lifetime. I've heard people hate on Germans, British, Irish, the French, pretty much everyone you can think of, but I've never heard anyone say a bad word about Roma.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

This may be a US thing, but me and most of the folks that I know thought Roma were fictional well into our teens. Like, literally not an ethnic group, just bad guys that Disney invented.

Kieselguhr Kid
May 16, 2010

WHY USE ONE WORD WHEN SIX FUCKING PARAGRAPHS WILL DO?

(If this post doesn't passive-aggressively lash out at one of the women in Auspol please send the police to do a welfare check.)

Intel&Sebastian posted:

So you do affirm that you were in the middle of the act of defecation while the first news of BENGHAAAZI!!! started coming in?

Yes.

Were you reviewing any materials at the time?

Yes.

Of what nature?

I believe it was a copy of My Pet Goat :smug:

I cannot shake the suspicion that the Benghazi stuff is at least somewhat a knowing, spiteful response to attacks on Bush over the response to 9/11.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grand Prize Winner posted:

This may be a US thing, but me and most of the folks that I know thought Roma were fictional well into our teens. Like, literally not an ethnic group, just bad guys that Disney invented.

Same. As far as I believed, "gypsy" was some kind of mythical occupation like "wizard" or "demon slayer".

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Dr Christmas posted:

Here is Alex Jones talking about how Rachel Maddow looks like a dude. :sigh:
I love this talking point, it's a perfect example of the Republican mindset. They automatically assume "woman looks like a man" is bad, they never even consider any other interpretation.

:byodood:"Rachel Maddow looks like a dude!"
:c00l:"And? So what? You act like that's bad somehow."
:byodood::psyboom:

Hell, personally, I like Maddow's short spiky hair look.:black101:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

It is weird how conservatives are obsessed with gender roles and identity and none of them ever have facial hair. Nothing more masculine than a beard.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

I cannot shake the suspicion that the Benghazi stuff is at least somewhat a knowing, spiteful response to attacks on Bush over the response to 9/11.

Like I've said before, its somewhat that, mixed with Obama killing Bin Laden. Republicans need to regain some measure of credibility in terms of fighting terrorists, so they chose to try to change the narrative by taking an embassy attack and blowing it out of all proportion, so that it, and not the killing of Bin Laden, defines Obama in terms of dealing with terrorists. Its the one talking point around which they will build their entire narrative of a President who would be weak to terrorists.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fulchrum posted:

Like I've said before, its somewhat that, mixed with Obama killing Bin Laden. Republicans need to regain some measure of credibility in terms of fighting terrorists, so they chose to try to change the narrative by taking an embassy attack and blowing it out of all proportion, so that it, and not the killing of Bin Laden, defines Obama in terms of dealing with terrorists. Its the one talking point around which they will build their entire narrative of a President who would be weak to terrorists.

Not to mention that without the Benghazi "scandal," the primary narrative of Obama's intervention in Libya is that he took out a state sponsor of terrorism (Quaddaffi) and assisted with a successful transition from a domestic rebellion to a (arguably, at this point anyway) functioning democracy.

The contrast with Iraq is blinding.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Kieselguhr Kid posted:

I've always felt GOP obstructionism against Obama was based purely on that and the pretty much universal consensus that Bush was a "miserable failure". Conservatives were made to feel humiliated by Bush and given their "we can do no wrong" meglomania, they've just never been able to swallow & process it. And for them to be right, Obama needs to be wrong.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Not to mention that without the Benghazi "scandal," the primary narrative of Obama's intervention in Libya is that he took out a state sponsor of terrorism (Quaddaffi) and assisted with a successful transition from a domestic rebellion to a (arguably, at this point anyway) functioning democracy.

The contrast with Iraq is blinding.

And on top of that, he did it in 6 months, without getting a single American soldier killed, and it cost less than 1% what the Iraq war cost.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Miltank posted:

All I know about gypsies is that they are code orange at Target and Walmart stores across the midwest.

Please tell me you're kidding.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

fade5 posted:

I love this talking point, it's a perfect example of the Republican mindset. They automatically assume "woman looks like a man" is bad, they never even consider any other interpretation.

Bi girl here, I completely love Maddow's look and would totally have sex with her :pervert:

That being said her appearance has absolutely no bearing on her opinions or viewpoints and the idea of judging her because she "looks like a man" is completely and totally loving ridiculous.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yes, but if you took away right wing medias ability to use ad hominem attacks, they'd just have to sit in silence for hour blocks.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Maddow has always looked like a cute tomboy to me. Jones is literally acting like a dumb 3rd grader.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That was legitimately the weirdest attack on me I've ever heard. Yea it was literally him going "Well YOU want to gently caress kids as bad as I do so this is gonna be a complete trainwreck!"

Do you remember the dude's name? I wanna look him up and see what other insane 'arguments' he's done.

Did he look like this by any chance?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

beatlegs posted:

Maddow has always looked like a cute tomboy to me. Jones is literally acting like a dumb 3rd grader.

That's Jone's standard operating procedure.

http://youtu.be/Q-pNO0KUicc

I suggest you subscribe to vilemonkey's yt channel for more Alex Jones hilarity.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 26, 2013

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Tatum Girlparts posted:

In America? Not at all, there's a decent majority of Americans who have no idea we're a thing outside of fantasy novels.

When I worked at (Video Game Company), we banned people out of games for using the word 'gyp/gypped'. A LOT of confused appeals were constantly emailed to us on it. We actually had a company meeting on whether 'twink/twinked' should be ousted which was largely passed over due to the loving workload we would have to do considering how heavily used the term is in gaming.

Alex Jones is one of those dudes who thought all cats were girls and all dogs were boys as a child. Of course he would do the same of gender assignment by hair length. Or if they're wearing pants or not. Or if they are reptiles depending on his paint chip serving for the day.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Armani posted:

When I worked at (Video Game Company), we banned people out of games for using the word 'gyp/gypped'. A LOT of confused appeals were constantly emailed to us on it. We actually had a company meeting on whether 'twink/twinked' should be ousted which was largely passed over due to the loving workload we would have to do considering how heavily used the term is in gaming.

Plus twink isn't really a pejorative and it would be silly to try to ban it unless you're concerned with gay slang being used at all (which would also be silly).

Armani posted:

Alex Jones is one of those dudes who thought all cats were girls and all dogs were boys as a child. Of course he would do the same of gender assignment by hair length. Or if they're wearing pants or not. Or if they are reptiles depending on his paint chip serving for the day.

Honestly the idea that bloated lumpy potato men like Alex Jones and Rush Limbaugh have the gall to criticize anybody's appearance is probably the most laughable thing in all conservative media. They are repulsive by any subjective standard of physical attractiveness. Unfortunately they are even uglier on the inside.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Armani posted:

We actually had a company meeting on whether 'twink/twinked' should be ousted which was largely passed over due to the loving workload we would have to do considering how heavily used the term is in gaming.

As opposed to passing it over because in that context the word carries a totally different meaning and isn't being used as pejorative at all? Presumably we're talking about some sort of MMO.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Armani posted:

The gently caress kind of game are you making that will ever bring up the word "twink"? Is this some sexy gay sex game? If yes, please tell me more.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Crasscrab posted:

The gently caress kind of game are you making that will ever bring up the word "twink"? Is this some sexy gay sex game? If yes, please tell me more.

"Twinking" in video games means making a particular character more powerful than they should be, usually by giving them more powerful gear than they'd normally have.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

"Twinking" in video games means making a particular character more powerful than they should be, usually by giving them more powerful gear than they'd normally have.

Oh... That doesn't sound like hot man sex at all. Interest lost.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Pope Guilty posted:

They do come from the same place, as far as I can tell, though. As in 'the presents given by the older to the younger.' Someone once tracked the derivation, and yep, it's from gay culture.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Armani posted:

Alex Jones is one of those dudes who thought all cats were girls and all dogs were boys as a child.

So Alex Jones is Troy Barnes? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8CchZsiQPc

:psyboom:

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So anyone remember Caiden Cowger, the 14 year old conservative radio host? Well, he's still up about about doing his thing.

It's kinda weird how close he is to capturing the same vocal cadence as Rush Limbaugh. :psyduck:

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Armani posted:

Maybe it was because I grew up in California in the 80s, but I never knew "gyp" refereed to Gypsies. Saying "What a gyp" was quite common in my youth and up until this thread I thought it was harmless. But now I know.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

ShadowCatboy posted:

So anyone remember Caiden Cowger, the 14 year old conservative radio host? Well, he's still up about about doing his thing.

It's kinda weird how close he is to capturing the same vocal cadence as Rush Limbaugh. :psyduck:

Holy poo poo, this kid is the worst. Those "hilarious" impressions conservative bloviators love where they make fun of hysterical liberalism make me see red. He'll probably end up like that other child conservative who got famous, though, and repudiate everything they've taught him as soon as he goes to college.

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

Fandyien posted:

Holy poo poo, this kid is the worst. Those "hilarious" impressions conservative bloviators love where they make fun of hysterical liberalism make me see red. He'll probably end up like that other child conservative who got famous, though, and repudiate everything they've taught him as soon as he goes to college.

As it turns out, he's made a video specifically about Krohn. 18 loving minutes about this kid changing political stances, and how he's a bully because he won't be on this podcast that no one cares about. Or something like that, I got bored not long after he started talking since he's got about as much personality as wet cardboard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RfLvPJaNew

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

That kid is deep into larping a conservative talk show character. It's painful to watch. He must get mercilessly picked on in school.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

ShadowCatboy posted:

He needs to start smoking. If he manages to poo poo up his vocal chords, he can replace Rush when Rush inevitably dies. poo poo, the kid's close enough that with a lower voice they could pretend Rush never died and tack on 60 years to his legacy with this kid.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

ShadowCatboy posted:

Holy poo poo. It's a young, not fat Rush.

Ah, he even rolls out the trusty "If we let the gays marry, what's next? Polygamy?! Slippery slope, you guys!"

beatlegs posted:

That kid is deep into larping a conservative talk show character. It's painful to watch. He must get mercilessly picked on in school.

He seems like the kind of kid that would be home schooled.

OH NO MY DICK
Feb 24, 2013

Forums Jesus
There's a kind of poetry to the idea that a 14 year old Conservative talk-show host sounds exactly like a 62 year old Conservative talk-show host.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
He has a nice leather jacket.

That's probably the only redeeming quality of him as a human being.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
That kid is just regurgitating talking points with no actual thought going on, as far as I can tell.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

platedlizard posted:

That kid is just regurgitating talking points with no actual thought going on, as far as I can tell.

So he's no different from all conservative media?

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

platedlizard posted:

Yeah, and if he does it right, it could be worth 10, maybe even 20 million a year.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
It's like some weird talk-radio version of the Boys from Brazil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

13stitches
Mar 13, 2012

You were born free, you got fucked out of half of it and you wave a flag celebrating it.

fade5 posted:

The whole powerful woman with a mind of her own-thing is probably blowing their minds. I don't think any other liberal woman gets so many derogatory adjectives added to pretty much any appearance on right wing sites as she does, ranging from carpter muncher to whatever else those idiots can come up with.