Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I think you mean Crawd, but ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Every now and then I think I want to play through the PSP version but drat did they butcher it. They made every cutscene voiced and somehow have even worse acting that the old battle voices. They also shoehorned in that dumb inventor chick from SO3 and rendered most special attacks useless by giving everyone a 3 hit chain for mashing the x button. They also did weird things to equipment, like making star guards into accessories, including letting you stack their crazy evasion with themselves and another shield.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

I've played Star Ocean 2 at least three times and I've never even heard of this crazy shield. It sounds cheap as hell anyway, why use that trick when you can TEAR INTO PIECES
Back in the day I was getting destroyed by the final boss so I looked up strategies and then crafted several of the shields because it's a hilarious way to kill... him? it? I don't remember what the boss was. :shepface:

I didn't need it for anything else I tried, though.

Francois Kofko posted:

I think you mean Crawd, but ok
He's advanced forward.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

The White Dragon posted:

Isn't FFA a direct prequel? Like you're literally playing as the father of the hero from SoM?
I'm pretty sure that's not the case. The main character's father is explained in Secret of Mana at some point but it's not the main character of FFA. To be pedantic there really is no canon order of the events in all of the Mana games.

Dec 26, 2012

Rascyc posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. The main character's father is explained in Secret of Mana at some point but it's not the main character of FFA. To be pedantic there really is no canon order of the events in all of the Mana games.

I want to say that each successive game (at least of the first three) is a prequel to the last, but don't quote me on that.

Seriously though, play FFA, it's awesome and didn't deserve the lovely remake that was Sword of Mana.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

01011001 posted:

I want to say that each successive game (at least of the first three) is a prequel to the last, but don't quote me on that.

It's been years since I have even thought about this, so I could be completely wrong. But I think the third one is the first chronologically, followed by the first then second.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

dis astranagant posted:

Isn't Noah wrecking you just the game telling you to take off your Atlas Rings for a change?
Nah, Noah was just a major gently caress-you. As far as I'm aware, there's equipment that either nullifies or absorbs every element except for motherfucking Water. The best you could ever get with that was either reduced-damage or that 1/10 chance to block it. I hope you have good Guts armor :downs:

v True dat. My first time through SO2, I couldn't even beat the normal final boss until I did shenanigans with Blood Armor. Noel is my least favorite character (I kinda get the impression he's everyone's least favorite character), but he's hand-down got to be the best character gameplay-wise considering he can both equip the Blood Armor as well as straight-up outheal it.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 21, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, there's always bloody armor abuse. Helps if you have Opera around for spamming her heal. Otherwise Dias' default customization result seems to be the exception that proves the rule.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 21, 2013

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Boneless Jogger posted:

It's been years since I have even thought about this, so I could be completely wrong. But I think the third one is the first chronologically, followed by the first then second.
This is the order that would make 'sense' given the endings and the outcome of the tree in each game, but there's never been any official confirmation anywhere in the games as far as I know. It's pretty much just players applying a little bit of reasoning on the trees. Which is a bit wishy-washy since the only thing separating FFA from SoM is that the first one just happens to have a heroine!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I've been trying really, really loving hard to get into the Eschalon games, but the developers were so focused on making an "old school" rpg they forgot to add the part where fun happens.

The way the levelling system works encourages some hardcore min/maxing, and even then, there's really no mechanical reason as to why my fighter dude can't just loving hit the blob of goo (the hell is that supposed to be anyway?) with a sword when it's right there in front of him.

Uuuugh I just wanna strap on a leather backpack, bring my sword and bow, and go on a godamned adventure for chrissakes.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I've been trying really, really loving hard to get into the Eschalon games, but the developers were so focused on making an "old school" rpg they forgot to add the part where fun happens.

The way the levelling system works encourages some hardcore min/maxing, and even then, there's really no mechanical reason as to why my fighter dude can't just loving hit the blob of goo (the hell is that supposed to be anyway?) with a sword when it's right there in front of him.

Uuuugh I just wanna strap on a leather backpack, bring my sword and bow, and go on a godamned adventure for chrissakes.

Just level your weapon skill of choice to like 15 ASAP and you can actually start playing.

Dec 26, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I really, really want to like them too, but yeah, it's pretty archaically designed. My main point of reference is the Avernum series (partially because their creator's blog turned me onto Eschalon). As oldschool and groggy as some of the older exiles/Avernums were, they weren't unbearably so like this is.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Wow. I think I am broken...

Went back to play Seiken 2/Secret of Mana/whatever for the first time in 15 years today. I got a few bosses in before realizing how lovely of a game it actually is. It is ridden with bugs, cheap AI, poor hit boxes, and you basically just spam magic to win boss fights.

I played Seiken 1 like 6 months ago and loved it just as much as ever. What is wrong with me?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

BabyRyoga posted:

Went back to play Seiken 2/Secret of Mana/whatever for the first time in 15 years today. I got a few bosses in before realizing how lovely of a game it actually is. It is ridden with bugs, cheap AI, poor hit boxes, and you basically just spam magic to win boss fights.

I played Seiken 1 like 6 months ago and loved it just as much as ever. What is wrong with me?

Nothing? The combat in SoM is pretty drat weak. The music/locations/characters are the selling points, if you don't like those there's not much reason to play. SD3 isn't really that much better either honestly, and it has the added bonus of having a bunch of permanent choices that can make the game stupidly loving hard to finish.

On the other hand, you complain about bugs in SoM, but Seiken 1 definitely always seemed way buggier to me. I had a playthrough where I triggered the 'warp somewhere completely random' glitch just happen to me.

Of course I guess I'm pretty broken too because I think Legend of Mana is the best game in the series.

Dec 26, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

Nothing. Seiken 1 and 3 are definitely more mechanically solid than 2.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm going to be totally honest, I think the entire Mana series are bad games and the SNES ones soured me on the entire Action RPG genre for a good 10-15 years. I just never understood the appeal of them. The action combat always seemed really simple and rote to me, and the RPG mechanics are kind of watered down. Instead of being the best of both worlds, it was just kind of the worst of both worlds, providing neither solid action or a good RPG experience. I always thought my opinions were weird and out of touch, considering the huge reverence the rest of the internet seems to hold for the series. I just don't really understand what's likable about those games.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I keep thinking about replaying Legend of Mana but then I get bogged down by the crafting system and :spergin: over area placement and wander off.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Of course I guess I'm pretty broken too because I think Legend of Mana is the best game in the series.

The thing about Legend of Mana is that I would really, really like to play through it one of these days. It has been sitting on my PS3 for ages now.

But I hate how the game is just a perpetual "what in the gently caress am I doing?!" kind of experience every minute.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

MechaX posted:

The thing about Legend of Mana is that I would really, really like to play through it one of these days. It has been sitting on my PS3 for ages now.

But I hate how the game is just a perpetual "what in the gently caress am I doing?!" kind of experience every minute.

I had a lot of experience with Romancing Saga games so it seemed pretty natural to me. Similar kind of lack of direction and focus on side questing and all that.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I had a lot of experience with Romancing Saga games so it seemed pretty natural to me. Similar kind of lack of direction and focus on side questing and all that.

I have crazy OCD when it comes to side-quests and missable content in RPGs (I think I would blame Tales of the Abyss for starting that particular problem), so that would drive me crazy unless I'm playing knee-deep in a FAQ. And I dislike playing while reading FAQs these days, so I'm just SOL in that department.

That's assuming that Legend of Mana does have a lot of missables, which I don't know for certain if it does.

Dec 26, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It was designed by the same guy as the SaGa series, so that makes perfect sense.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
So, when I was 8 or so, I got Final Fantasy 7 on PS1. It was my first ever RPG, I ordered it out of a PS1 magazine. My mum let me have the day off school when it arrived and I spent the entire day playing it.

Now, at 22, I've decided to revisit it properly (I played it on and off as a kid, I don't think I ever got past disc 1 because 8 and 9 came out and I actually completed those, then there were things like PS2s and such and my young brain forgot). Can I just loving say, Oppressed People, the Wall Market music, is probably one of the most chilled and awesome tunes I've ever heard.

I can't believe what an amazing game this really is, I knew it was great, historically notable in fact, loved by millions. Holy crap though, I just escaped the jail cells in Shinra and was struck by how intimidating and eerie it felt, I remember that image of Jenova scaring the poo poo out of me as a kid.

I also nearly died laughing in the Honey Bee Inn. Stoned off my proverbial rear end, I realized many things my 8 year old self missed. I was obviously disappointed about the Group Room, because hey, I knew that sex was a thing and I figured, sex with more than one girl is more better, of course, that's just math! I was disappointed that I just got in a hot tub with some guys. I thought Cloud said "It hurts." because well, those were some muscly dudes, and it was a small tub, pretty cramped, right? That entire segment is pure gold. Although I remember this Shinra section not being the darkest by a long shot, it's weird how carefree and funny parts of it can be while terrible things are happening.

I've found a bunch of stuff I missed, I never even knew there was a shop on Level 2 of Shinra HQ. I bet I'm still missing stuff. I can't wait to play through the whole thing, and I definitely can't wait to play 8 and 9 again (Haven't played either since I was 13-14ish).

Heh, and here I sit, with my xbox 360, tons of games I need to play on it (Bought, not played. Bought, played a few hours of and liked, got distracted by other games) including Dark Arisen, something I dearly love, yet I spend most of my time playing FF7 and Fallout 1 & 2.

Feels good.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MechaX posted:

That's assuming that Legend of Mana does have a lot of missables, which I don't know for certain if it does.

From memory I want to say picking the wrong starting map/placing things improperly can gently caress you entirely. I may be wrong on this. I haven't played it since a friend and I marathoned through it in a rental weekend on launch.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Stop playing after Midgar. do yourself...biggest favor.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Syrg Sapphire posted:

From memory I want to say picking the wrong starting map/placing things improperly can gently caress you entirely. I may be wrong on this. I haven't played it since a friend and I marathoned through it in a rental weekend on launch.
There are like two quests you can miss if you don't get Domina's Shade level up to 3. Everything else can be seen or gotten in a single playthrough, albeit with varying levels of difficulty, but anything that falls under that umbrella is well within the "gently caress that I'm not dealing with this poo poo" territory of Golemancy, Smithing, Pets, and Trent.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Nothing? The combat in SoM is pretty drat weak. The music/locations/characters are the selling points, if you don't like those there's not much reason to play. SD3 isn't really that much better either honestly, and it has the added bonus of having a bunch of permanent choices that can make the game stupidly loving hard to finish.

On the other hand, you complain about bugs in SoM, but Seiken 1 definitely always seemed way buggier to me. I had a playthrough where I triggered the 'warp somewhere completely random' glitch just happen to me.

I've had to reset twice due to party members getting stuck in crevices and refusing to catch up, since the game won't let the screen scroll. I also discovered that when you rapidly change the charge attack settings on an AI controlled character enough times in a row, it causes their next hit to be for 999. Which is pretty funny to be honest.

I remember hating Seiken 3 when I bought it (which was around the time it first came out, actually) and not even finishing it till years later on an emulator.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

01011001 posted:

It was designed by the same guy as the SaGa series, so that makes perfect sense.

I did not know that and that makes perfect sense.

BabyRyoga posted:

I also discovered that when you rapidly change the charge attack settings on an AI controlled character enough times in a row, it causes their next hit to be for 999. Which is pretty funny to be honest.

I think the trick to this is that you set the AI charge level to a number lower than what they currently have charged up. So you let them charge up to 2, then set it to 1, for example. It's a trick that's exploited like crazy in the TAS.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

01011001 posted:

I really, really want to like them too, but yeah, it's pretty archaically designed. My main point of reference is the Avernum series (partially because their creator's blog turned me onto Eschalon). As oldschool and groggy as some of the older exiles/Avernums were, they weren't unbearably so like this is.
Doesn't Eschalon require a substantial investment of limited skill points in order to get a functioning map? Which means you get to choose between hitting things and telling where you've been.

I also remember actual combat/movement being way too slow.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

GulagDolls posted:

Stop playing after Midgar. do yourself...biggest favor.

Eh, different strokes for different folks, I won't deny it's probably one of the coolest parts of the game.

Speaking of, is there a way to tell if you need the chocobo or the minigame patch 'til you get there? I don't want to install them if i dont need them in case it breaks something

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does Xenosaga 3 have an auto attack feature I never noticed before?

Like my ES craft except for one are uncontrollable all of a sudden and the word AUTO shows up on the top left...

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm playing Drakensang: The Dark Eye and I'm going to slay the Dragon after doing all the Tallon area stuff. Is there a way to make the combat less tedious against the giant melee groups the game keeps throwing at you at this point? I have a mage PC and the AoE spells take too long to cast and friendly fire is seemingly unavoidable with the way the game handles positioning. I already have the entire party attack the same enemy all the time like the advice says but the sheer number of enemies and no way to deal with them quickly is making combat a slog.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Syrg Sapphire posted:

The White Dragon posted:

There are like two quests you can miss if you don't get Domina's Shade level up to 3. Everything else can be seen or gotten in a single playthrough, albeit with varying levels of difficulty, but anything that falls under that umbrella is well within the "gently caress that I'm not dealing with this poo poo" territory of Golemancy, Smithing, Pets, and Trent.

Yeah, I remember reading the most recent LP for it (I think it was Mega64's), and all of those subsystems... yikes. I probably have not been that lost on an RPG subsystem since Vagrant Story (but I would imagine that a lot of the SaGa games are infinitely worse with this kind of stuff).

I still feel as if I should play Legend of Mana at some point; I feel guilty about missing out on a couple RPG series despite heavily playing them in my childhood. Series like Earthbound/Mother, Suikoden (sans III), and SaGa just kinda fell through the cracks despite how I was living and breathing RPGs as a kid.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Unfortunately the quality of 7 is very much frontloaded. As you see, Midgar is fantastic, detailed, and immersive. Once you leave, the game is never the same again. :smith:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

a medical mystery posted:

Once you leave, the game is never the same again. :smith:

Well yeah, it gets better.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does anyone have any ideas on how to increase leader speed in Last Remnant? This game is fun, but it can get obtuse at times.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm not sure if I want to start playing Ni No Kuni again. I absolutely loved the style, music, themes, art, everything... but the gameplay itself became kind of :geno: after a while. I got through some volcano dungeon or another, then pretty much just stopped playing because I could see the repetitively grindy writing on the wall.

Shame, really. I like being told a story in my games and I really wanted to find out whether poor Oliver got what he wanted out of the whole mess :unsmith:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Does anyone have any ideas on how to increase leader speed in Last Remnant? This game is fun, but it can get obtuse at times.

What system is it?

Do you mean the character stat or something else like battle speed?

The stat bonuses earned for winning a battle are partially determined by BR. With a low BR, the game will consider a given set of enemies relatively stronger than the party, and will make it easier for allies to gain stats. With a high BR, the game will consider the enemy relatively weaker, and will make it harder for allies to gain stats. Therefore, to gain more stats from monsters, it is a good idea to keep BR low.

If you're on PC this is the best way to increase stats:

http://lastremnant.wikia.com/wiki/PC_Ultimate_Grind

Dec 26, 2012

Zereth posted:

Doesn't Eschalon require a substantial investment of limited skill points in order to get a functioning map? Which means you get to choose between hitting things and telling where you've been.

I also remember actual combat/movement being way too slow.

Correct on both accounts.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm going to be totally honest, I think the entire Mana series are bad games and the SNES ones soured me on the entire Action RPG genre for a good 10-15 years. I just never understood the appeal of them. The action combat always seemed really simple and rote to me, and the RPG mechanics are kind of watered down. Instead of being the best of both worlds, it was just kind of the worst of both worlds, providing neither solid action or a good RPG experience. I always thought my opinions were weird and out of touch, considering the huge reverence the rest of the internet seems to hold for the series. I just don't really understand what's likable about those games.
There really wasn't much of an action RPG genre at the time, especially in the west, when those games came out. You basically had the Mana series, Quintet titles (Soul Blazer, etc), and the odd Ys game, and then some really odd titles like Brainlord.

When people say any of those games are good, it's two parts nostalgia, one part setting, and one part presentation. The Mana series was a step ahead of everyone else in graphics, music, and plot at the time. Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma were no slouches in that department though. Not that anyone in the west played Terranigma until many years later, heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Picked up The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing on Steam on a whim earlier. Pretty good so far, it sticks to its guns and does it well. Shootin' stuff, hittin' stuff with swords, castin' magic, makin' gold. Someone in the thread about it said it was like "someone made a Vampire Hunter D mod for Diablo 3" and that sounds right on the money.

I'm enjoying far more than I did Diablo 3, however. I don't know, something about the aesthetic and the way the combat felt (lack of impact? too floaty?) in D3 soured me on it. Titan's Quest had a similar issue, and the difficulty seemed really wonky as well.

Unrelated question: Can anyone recommend a fantasy rpg with an actual sense of adventure? It's probably the only reason why I'm still muscling through Eschalon; travelling the world, slowly finding out more about the story, meeting new people. Skyrim fits the bill sort of, but everything's so congested together in the world and the copy-pasted dungeons really take away the sense of discovery.

Dragon Age almost hit sweet spot as well, though there was so much backtracking and visiting the same location the feeling started to fade. Not that it was a bad thing, obviously that wasn't the dev's focus.