Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Oregon: Free of Sales Tax, Land of great beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Amazon provides all your purchases for the year in Excel format, and while they're not all of my online purchases, they're the bulk, so I actually did calculate and pay tax on all that.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING
Edit: I just found there's a NAS thread in SH/SC so I'm moving my post over there. Carry on...

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 26, 2013

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
In the process of buying a Canon 7D. Looking for an all purpose zoom lense to go with it.

Tossing up between the Canon and Sigma 18-200mm lenses. I basically want to know how they compare to each other and whether the extra cost for the Canon lense is worth it. Also open to any other recommendations if there is another lense in that category from another manufacturer.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

xcore posted:

In the process of buying a Canon 7D. Looking for an all purpose zoom lense to go with it.

Tossing up between the Canon and Sigma 18-200mm lenses. I basically want to know how they compare to each other and whether the extra cost for the Canon lense is worth it. Also open to any other recommendations if there is another lense in that category from another manufacturer.

The more range a lens covers the more mediocre they tend to be. Ultra-zooms are pretty much targeted at entry level consumers and do an okay job but nothing spectacularly. one of the major benefits of a DSLR system is the interchangeable lenses. You can get probably two lenses for the price of the 18-200 which will give you much better quality and flexibility

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the advice and yeah, I kind of realise that.

The thing is, I kind of am that entry level consumer. The only difference being, is that I am prepared to read, learn and grow from that. I'm sure I will move to more specialized stuff once I realize the limitations of the lens I get and find out what I'm passionate about shooting Until then though, I'm after a "jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none" type lens (to go along with a 50mm) to learn the basics and grow.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
You should get a 30mm or 35mm as walk-around lens, not 50mm. I know there have been discussions about this before in this thread, but 50mm is sort of a focal length, that everyone got their pants wet over, when used on 35mm cameras/sensors. The 7D doesn't have a 35mm sensor, the equivalent lens with pretty much the same FOV is 30mm in your case.

That said, you should force yourself to work with certain focal lengths only, forcing you to think about composition. As in, get the 30mm prime first and the superzoom later on. Running around with a single prime may bite you in the rear end on certain occasions, but if it's places or motives that can be redone on another time, the better.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There is some dissonance in your choices there. The 7D is a large, high-quality camera body, and then you want to put one of the worst lenses available today on it. You should probably change one of them to match the other.

Waarg
Apr 21, 2005

Thrashing in the waves

Thoughts on this as a potential low-cost (in photography £) high bang-for-buck multipurpose lens lineup?
550d

50/1.8 (£80) - portraits, low light, street
24-105/4 (£530) - general purpose, IS for video
samyang 8/3.5 (£180) - uwa/fisheye, sick skate footy
100/2.8 macro (£320) - portraits, macro, fun prime

Seems like a pretty good compromise of price/flexibility/optics to me.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
Any off the high pixel density cameras, like the 7D, are just going to exacerbate any flaw a lens has. For most every day type scenarios on a crop you don't need much more then 55mm on the long end, and when you want something longer then that, get a purpose built tele that won't look like complete rear end when used as a tele (the 70-200 f4 non IS is like $600 and optically great.)

My everyday walk around with the 7d is a canon 10-22 and sigma 50mm f1.4, and with one lens only its the 17-55(that could easily be replaced the a tamron or sigma equivelent.) I would really suggest you stick to some quality glass if you are going the 7d route, and slowly build up your kit. You can always rent a nice tele for the number of times most amateurs really need one.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Waarg posted:

Thoughts on this as a potential low-cost (in photography £) high bang-for-buck multipurpose lens lineup?
550d

50/1.8 (£80) - portraits, low light, street

You probably don't want this for general purpose low light and street. It's far too long to be comfortable for that. (It will have equivalent angle of view to a 80mm on full frame.)
Get the Sigma 30/1.4 for that instead. It will be very much a normal lens on a Canon APS-C, and it's also 2/3 stops faster than the 50/1.8.

If you still feel the need for a shorter portrait lens (the 100mm will probably feel long for many situations) then add a 50mm too, but you should start out with a 30mm or 35mm.

Waarg
Apr 21, 2005

Thrashing in the waves

nielsm posted:

You probably don't want this for general purpose low light and street. It's far too long to be comfortable for that. (It will have equivalent angle of view to a 80mm on full frame.)
Get the Sigma 30/1.4 for that instead. It will be very much a normal lens on a Canon APS-C, and it's also 2/3 stops faster than the 50/1.8.

If you still feel the need for a shorter portrait lens (the 100mm will probably feel long for many situations) then add a 50mm too, but you should start out with a 30mm or 35mm.

Sorry, forgot to mention I already have the 50 1.8 and the 550d, and really like the 50mm focal length. I'd probably get a Sigma 35/1.4 next for a more general purpose prime but it doesn't really have a second hand market yet..

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh crap, I just found out the new 35mm Sigma is actually a DG lens, not just DC. :toot:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh crap, I just found out the new 35mm Sigma is actually a DG lens, not just DC. :toot:

Yuuuuuup :woop:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Combat Pretzel posted:

For the record 35mm on full frame is my single favorite focal length. It's wide enough that you can do some landscape photography with a little perspective emphasis but not so wide that you can't shoot people if you need. If you buy a FF lens, buy a $10 EOS film body to go along with it and you can try out the "full frame" perspective real cheaply.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Eeeehhhhhhh, maybe when my vacation pay is here. I've gotten a Samyang 24mm and Sigma 50mm with my sensor upgrade. That should cover the range just fine, if there's time to switch lenses (altho the 24mm is kind of useless for spontaneous snapshots due to being completely manual).

I suppose that 35mm also has front focusing issues? :v:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Combat Pretzel posted:

I suppose that 35mm also has front focusing issues? :v:

If it does, you can just drop it on their dock and set the AF microadjust setting directly, since it's one of their new Art series.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Paul MaudDib posted:

If it does, you can just drop it on their dock and set the AF microadjust setting directly, since it's one of their new Art series.

The docks haven't been released yet but look to be about $60.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/909813-REG/Sigma_USB_Dock.html

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

joelcamefalling posted:

Since this comes up often enough and we Australians get massively screwed, for Sydney...
- I get most of my lenses and bodies from B&H, KEH and Adorama. Digital Rev is great (their youtube channel is painful), Digital Camera Warehouse on Canterbury Road are okay, DWI is horrible.
- I've bought all my lighting through Cameras Direct in QLD (http://camerasdirect.com.au/), who are great to deal with. Otherwise, Kayell at Artarmon (http://www.kayellaustralia.com.au/)
- The only used store I have seen which has a decent range is Foto Riesel on Kent St (http://www.fotoriesel.com.au/). There is a little store on Elizabeth St down near the thing for Army in Hyde Park that has some obscure and film stuff (as well as digital), but their prices are pretty stupid most of the time
- For cheap Chinee accessories, ebay or Photoshop Studio down on Paramatta Rd (http://www.photo-shop-studio.com/)if you want something today. Don't pay Teds $200 for a used demo stock, generic chinese light stand.
- Film from Macodirect or Freestyle for generic stuff. In a pinch, maybe Foto Riesel or Vanbar, but you will pay $10-$15 per roll. wtf.
- Chemicals from Vanbar
- If you need development, Vision Image Lab in Redfern (http://www.visionimagelab.com.au/) or Foto Riesel ($10/roll)
- For hardcore black and white nerding out, Blanco Negro: http://www.blanconegro.com.au/blanconegro/home/home.html
- Printing is all about Pixel Perfect (http://www.pixelperfect.com.au/), but Vision IL are a close second

Cheers for the list, though I should warn that Canon and Nikon generally won't acknowledge warranty on imported stock, don't know about the third party manufacturers. At the moment I sell cameras and naturally everyone who I work with kicks up this huge stink about grey market being factory seconds and other such bullshit, but ultimately if you're ok without having a manufacturer warranty you can buy from overseas. Do you work professionally in Sydney Joel?

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 27, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

They have a new version of their 30/1.4 as well, which should set you back half of what the 35 will.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
So what is the thought on the Sigma 30 1.4? I really want a fast lens that ends up at 50mm on my crop body. I was doing some shooting at a wedding this weekend and found the nifty 50 to be just far too long.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

So what is the thought on the Sigma 30 1.4? I really want a fast lens that ends up at 50mm on my crop body. I was doing some shooting at a wedding this weekend and found the nifty 50 to be just far too long.

I bought one from KEH and sent it back because it was back focusing. Got another copy in exchange that does much better on my D90. Paid nothing for shipping in the exchange. It seemed like I got 2 different generations or something since the first one had a grippy, almost sandpaper-like finish and the second one is just smooth. I've found it to be so useful that it now lives on my body most of the time instead of my 17-50. As long as you have the patience for finding a copy that plays well with your body, it's a great lens.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The one with the smooth finish and without the golden EX ring is a newer model with different optics. Chances are the front or back focusing issues may be gone.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Haven't used it, but: it's a crop lens, so you can't use it on full frame/film. It's basically a scaled down full-frame 50mm lens, and has pretty similar performance characteristics (sharp center/soft corners wide open, etc). 50mm is too long for a lot of uses, as you've noticed, 30-35mm is an equivalent "normal" lens on crop sensor. I think it's not worth the extra cost if your system has a good 35mm (Nikon 35/1.8 DX, Pentax 35/2.4, Sony 35/1.8 OSS (AF performance is currently a little slow), etc) but Canon has a big hole in their lineup since the 35/2 is ancient and almost as expensive as the Sigma. Two questions you have to ask yourself: do I need/want a prime? If you don't want the speed or the fixed focal length, you're most of the way to a Tamron 17-50 which is going to perform just as well in most situations. And then, do I need really good wide open performance corner to corner? If so, you may want to save and skip right to the 35/1.4, as it's a lot better corrected for real wide-open shooting. It also costs twice as much, so that's not necessarily an automatic "yes".

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 27, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Haven't used it, but: it's a crop lens, so you can't use it on digital.

Huh?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

:downs: Fixed.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Haven't used it, but: it's a crop lens, so you can't use it on full frame/film. It's basically a scaled down full-frame 50mm lens, and has pretty similar performance characteristics (sharp center/soft corners wide open, etc). 50mm is too long for a lot of uses, as you've noticed, 30-35mm is an equivalent "normal" lens on crop sensor. I think it's not worth the extra cost if your system has a good 35mm (Nikon 35/1.8 DX, Pentax 35/2.4, Sony 35/1.8 OSS (AF performance is currently a little slow), etc) but Canon has a big hole in their lineup since the 35/2 is ancient and almost as expensive as the Sigma. Two questions you have to ask yourself: do I need/want a prime? If you don't want the speed or the fixed focal length, you're most of the way to a Tamron 17-50 which is going to perform just as well in most situations. And then, do I need really good wide open performance corner to corner? If so, you may want to save and skip right to the 35/1.4, as it's a lot better corrected for real wide-open shooting. It also costs twice as much, so that's not necessarily an automatic "yes".

In addition to this advice I'd add one pro and one con:

1) it is bloody heavy
2) it can focus in almost pitch-black darkness.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

spog posted:

2) it can focus in almost pitch-black darkness.
protip: always carry a decent flashlight for focus assist in your backpack for when you want to shoot a church lit only by the full moon and find your autofocus wants nothing to do with it - even zoomed in and opened up in liveview I barely got anything useable :mad:

Also, the Canon cashbacks end this week, I keep looking at the 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM II but I don't know if I really need it, I can catch people and landscapes with my 24-70 nicely :o:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

protip: always carry a decent flashlight for focus assist in your backpack for when you want to shoot a church lit only by the full moon and find your autofocus wants nothing to do with it - even zoomed in and opened up in liveview I barely got anything useable :mad:

Also, the Canon cashbacks end this week, I keep looking at the 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM II but I don't know if I really need it, I can catch people and landscapes with my 24-70 nicely :o:

SMDH if your flashlight doesn't also zoom.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SoundMonkey posted:

SMDH if your flashlight doesn't also zoom.

heh I ordered a flashlight off DX last night, I do love them for cheap and cheerful / may-or-may-not work electronics :)

I'm half-tempted to throw a couple hundo at some of their bigger LED panels just to see what they're like for continuous lighting...

http://dx.com/p/10-5w-170-led-white-light-video-lamp-with-filters-for-camera-camcorder-119816

http://dx.com/p/5500k-1020lm-160-led-white-light-video-lamp-with-filters-for-camera-camcorder-115197

The catchlights from this would be interesting, at least...

http://dx.com/p/nanguang-cn126b-7-6w-650lm-5400-3200k-126-led-video-light-black-6-x-aa-163487

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
You know what"s better than a flashlight for focusing at night? A green laser pointer. Just put a dot on whatever lovely thing you are trying to photograph and manually focus until it's sharp. SMDH, autofocus in the the dark....

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I'll try the green laser pointer trick before buying a lens. I would prefer to pick up a new body to replace my 40D (giving to my wife). My two lenses are the Canon 50mm 1.5 and a Tamron 17-50. I might pick up something with a shorter focal length around October when I get my bonus. Now just to decide if I want to stick with crop and get a 7D or go FF and splurge for a 5D Mark iii.

Decisions decisions decisions.

Edit : Granted the 5D MKiii cannot use the tamron .. I am probably going to stick with the 7D.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 28, 2013

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

8th-samurai posted:

You know what"s better than a flashlight for focusing at night? A green laser pointer. Just put a dot on whatever lovely thing you are trying to photograph and manually focus until it's sharp. SMDH, autofocus in the the dark....

Even better, use the pointer to set the lovely thing on fire THEN take the picture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlnzcZj_rqU

People will probably get pretty mad if it's a church though.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Haggins posted:

Even better, use the pointer to set the lovely thing on fire THEN take the picture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlnzcZj_rqU

People will probably get pretty mad if it's a church though.

It sorta works:

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
So I just bit the bullet and bought a 5dmk3 and a 24-70 2.8 and will be selling my current gear, Currently I use my 50mm 1.8 a lot but I think I'll be replacing this as well, my initial reaction was to keep going big and pick up the 1.2 but I really don't think it'll be needed with the 5d's Iso magic.

Can anyone recommend me a fast prime to go with this setup? I'll be shooting a lot of gigs in places with lovely lighting generally and kinda want to keep the max at about $700

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Sigma 35/1.4 or 50/1.4?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bang3r posted:

Can anyone recommend me a fast prime to go with this setup? I'll be shooting a lot of gigs in places with lovely lighting generally and kinda want to keep the max at about $700

Probably the new Sigma 35/1.4

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
For the record, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is a great lens and I used mine extensively for shooting concerts until I switched to mirrorless.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

HPL posted:

For the record, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is a great lens and I used mine extensively for shooting concerts until I switched to mirrorless.
Probably wouldn't be the best recommendation for his 5d3 unless he really likes vignetting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I have the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 di vc blah blah and it's absolutely brilliant. I recently got to play with a friend's older Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, and while it's not especially sharp, or accurate to focus, I love the feel of the pictures it creates. I'm now looking at a 70-200, and saw that Tamron has a 70-200 IS and Sigma has a new 70-200 with IS as well. I was honestly considering a Canon 70-200 f/4 IS, but I would like to know if the third party lenses are okay? I have read a ton of mixed reviews, but my faith in Tamron is bolstered by the performance of my 24-70, which as I say, is really stellar.
Is the Sigma worth the premium over the Tamron? Is the Tamron an underdog worth considering? should I forget it all and invest in a Canon 200-400 instead? What do I DOOOO?